I visited Chernobyl/Pripyat.

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By jasta

Last summer I was on the road around Europe for around 3 months, your standard uni is done for now lets find ourselves kinda crap. I lie, summer in Scotland is about as fun as watching puppies getting kicked into traffic. In others words, I had to get out of there.

I promised myself that during the trip I would keep an even balance of "doing cool shit" vs partying at every opportunity. That promise was broken very, very quickly in pretty much every country I visited. Turns out doing cool things can sober you up real fast!

I had first toyed with the idea of visiting Chernobyl after meeting an Australian guy when I was in Belgrade. We were both equally fascinated on the subject, we exchanged information on good documentaries about it and agreed that it was a very good level in a very popular video game. After we had drank all the beer we could find we promised that we would meet up in Kiev and go see it together, then we went our separate ways.

Now, for the sake of the length of this post we are skipping over:

• 1 week of unbearable humidity in Cyprus
  • 2 weeks which I probably should have died while travelling through the Greek islands. Who knew all there was to do is sit at the beach, visit a vineyard, rent quad bikes, party and mess around on paddle boards. Fuck yeah, paddle boards!

...and now I'm in Kiev!

First thing I did when I got to my hostel was message the guy asking when he was arriving. As it turns out, Australians require a visa to get into Ukraine and that he was now stuck in Poland. Tit. I'd now be doing this on my own.

The next morning I had to meet outside of a hotel I couldn't pronounce, which navigating my way to would be difficult as the street signs are almost all exclusively in Cyrillic. Thankfully, it was pretty close by. Chernobyl is about a 2 hour drive north of Kiev, we had to stop at a checkpoint once we reached the 30km exclusion zone so they could check we all had the correct paperwork needed to enter.

I would be joined by our guide, 2 Swedish guys and an American-Ukrainian girl. We were lucky to have her with us, more on that later.

It seemed a little more real once we seen this.
It seemed a little more real once we seen this.

This sign was the first thing that I recognised from all the documentaries I had watched about the disaster. The beginning of the village can be seen a little further up the road. All the people who still live there mostly wear old military uniforms since they are cheap and suitable for the cold. On the day we visited however, it was about 25c and we were specifically told not to wear shorts and wear a long sleeved top to stop any radioactive particles getting on our skin. Needless to say it was fucking hot.

The village is filled with statues and memorials for the victims of the disaster.

Tribute to the fire fighters. Sorry for the bad image formatting.
Tribute to the fire fighters. Sorry for the bad image formatting.

So the girl that was with us explained that her parents lived in Chernobyl at the time of the disaster. Her Grandfather was also a worker at the power plant, luckily he was not on site at the time everything went wrong. They were all relocated to Kiev 48 hours after the disaster (I know, right?). Apparently the entire bus fleet from Kiev was drafted in to get everyone out.

Anyway, before she left for Ukraine, her parents gave her the address of their old house. After asking a lot of the locals for directions to the street and climbing through some heavily overgrown areas we probably should not have been in, we totally found it! The roof was caved in and the interior was now very much a part of the surrounding forest, but the number on the wall and street name checked out. She was absolutely ecstatic, I was so happy to have been there to see it. It really helped to ground myself from all the hype that surrounds Chernobyl and Pripyat in the media, that real people lived here.

I'll spare you all the history of the disaster, if you are even tiny bit interested there is a wealth of documentaries on Youtube that you can lose yourself in for hours.

From there we drove about 15 mins to the location of the reactor, it's pretty alarming how close the power plant is to where everybody lived.

In total there are 6 reactors:

• 1-3 were operational until 1991
  • Reactor 4 exploded and made a right ol' fool of itself.
  • 5-6 were never finished.
Reactor 4 is just behind me under the large tower.
Reactor 4 is just behind me under the large tower.

Technically the above picture is illegal, but the security staff around us did not give a flying fuck about what we were taking pictures of.

Nope.
Nope.

Just down the road from the reactor was a river, we stood on a bridge over it and our guide pointed at the water and threw half a sandwich in. Those large black shapes are huge radioactive Catfish, did not expect to see that!

After noping the fuck out of that situation we moved onto the town of Pripyat. You know...the place were 50,000 people used to live but is now a ghost town? Our guide actually said there was a slap waiting for anyone who quoted a certain line from a video game whilst driving into the town. I was the only person that laughed.

I think the best thing to do here is to just dump the best images I have of Pripyat and if anyone has any questions about the city or anything to do with the trip I'd be more than happy to answer them.

EDIT: I had a look through my phone and found a video of us walking through a few buildings. No doubt some of you will recognise it.

Peace!
Peace!

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Is that ferris wheel where I made my last stand while I waited for the helicopter to extract me after my failed assassination?

captain_max707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Wow, that's awesome! I've always wanted to go, maybe once I'm done with college (and if i have any money)...

Do you know any Russian/cyrillic? If not, how hard was it getting around?

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightriff: Yup! The area surrounding it is pretty different to that scene. It probably wouldint have made for a very exciting last stand if I'm honest.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Entered the reactor to meet the wish granter?

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain_max707: Getting around Kiev was quite difficult. If I was walking anywhere I always made sure to take a note of any landmarks as it was my only point of reference. People living there were not very keen on speaking English either. I probably would have prepared little more knowing what I know now.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Wow this is some Drew Scanlon level shit. How many bullets does a soda cost?

Seriously though that seems like a cool trip.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

One of the places i'd love to go in the world, so bizarre.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I would love to visit, it seems so cool. Do you know how radioactive that place is when you visit now? How much did it cost you to go, altogether?

That's so awesome.

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would love to visit, it seems so cool. Do you know how radioactive that place is when you visit now? How much did it cost you to go, altogether?

That's so awesome.

I spent about 6 hours in the exclusion zone, got about the same dose of radiation as getting an X-ray. It's pretty safe provided you stay out of some specific areas. It was about £90 for the whole day, driver, guide, food, paperwork etc.

icytower38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I've always wanted to go there, I think it would be really awesome & surreal. Sadly, I'd want to go with some friends and I kid you not they'd be scared shitless of dying from radiation.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Great blog! Reminds me of the days when people used to actually blog about their life and what they got up to on here.

Also, I genuinely have no idea what game it is that's being referenced. I assume it's a Call of Duty? I haven't played a single one myself besides a couple minutes of World at War. You said ''very popular'' so I discounted the likes of the Metro and STALKER series, which are much more niche.

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@icytower38: Don't let them stop you mate, you'd be fine on your own. Throw yourself into these things 9/10 you'll land on your feet.

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

Great blog! Reminds me of the days when people used to actually blog about their life and what they got up to on here.

Also, I genuinely have no idea what game it is that's being referenced. I assume it's a Call of Duty? I haven't played a single one myself besides a couple minutes of World at War. You said ''very popular'' so I discounted the likes of the Metro and STALKER series, which are much more niche.

It was a reference to the sniper mission in COD4, it takes place in Pripyat. I made a side by side comparison of a photo I took and the level in the game. The developers for sure visited the town, the modelling is just too good.

I'd finish Stalker if it would stop crashing on me. Metro is still on the pile though!

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Pretty awesome trip, looks like.

CByrne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is pretty awesome!

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By kasaioni

That was a very Drew thing to do. Being quarter Ukrainian/quarter Russian myself (grandmother/grandfather on father's side), I'd like to visit that area someday. Although I know that by the time that I do, the reactor will just be a big silver dome as they work on disassembling the structure inside.

qrdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasta: Interesting aside: if your trip took place on Saturday and you saw some trips from Poland, it's very likely you saw my girlfriend. I wasn't there, because she arranged the trip months ago and we've been together only for a week. Shame, I've always wanted to go.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very cool! Visiting these areas is definitely up there on my bucket list.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd consider it if they could finally figure out what to do with the reactor lid.

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig said:

I'd consider it if they could finally figure out what to do with the reactor lid.

They have constructed a huge hangar that sits on some tracks that they will slide over the existing reactor. From there they are going to use robotic arms to dismantle the the rest of it from inside the hangar.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really, really want to go. It's a tragedy what happened there, of course, but it's impossible to ignore how awesome it would be to visit what's basically a Soviet time capsule. Maybe one day when I have more time and money...

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is amazing, thanks for sharing!

Were you allowed to sit and touch on that ferris wheel? Seems like that'd give you some rads.

Do you have to wash your clothes big time when done?

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Some nice images there.

Also, it's the 30th anniversary of the event coming real soon.

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jasta

@omgfather said:

This is amazing, thanks for sharing!

Were you allowed to sit and touch on that ferris wheel? Seems like that'd give you some rads.

Do you have to wash your clothes big time when done?

I jokingly said to our guide "Can I have a go on the ferris wheel, please?" expecting him to shut me down, but to my surprise was like yeah sure go for it.

We stood on these scanners at the checkpoint on the way out of the exclusion zone.

No Caption Provided

You placed your hands on the plates either side and stood there until it went green, which meant you were good. I asked the guide if anyone had to get hosed down on the way out, but the most anyone has ever had to do on his watch is leave some clothing behind.

@dudeglove said:

That thing isn't so much a hangar but a replacement "sarcophagus". Reactor 4's current thingy (which they basically threw lead sheets and cement over) won't last much longer and they need to get that thing covered up again soon.

Cheernobyl was such an utter mess. Skeleton crew trying to perform tests combined with likely typical muzhik dumbassery and the week or so of silence afterwards was just... Look, basically most of Europe (and Kiev) is REAL lucky the wind was blowing the other way that day. Also there was a helicopter that straight up crashed there during the rescue/containment effort. It's a shame you missed the Chernobyl museum (which is in Kiev) where you can gawp at the outfits folk wore and the hundreds of photos of the place.

I only use that description as to any bystander it would just look like a standard aircraft hangar, I never asked what it was made from. If I remember correctly the current covers "use by date" if you will, has already passed and has been leaking for years. I'm not going to lie I had to google what "muzhik" meant but seems like a pretty spot on description of the whole operation.

I heard the museum was meant to be great but I had to meet people in Poland and never had time to visit.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

"Summer in Scotland"

Well that was your first mistake, we don't have a summer in Scotland.

Chocobodude3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 18

Those are some awesome pictures

mjhwwbg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mjhwwbg

Thanks for sharing. Sounds like it was a really interesting trip to have taken. The radioactive fish seem crazy!

Dimi3je

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is amazing, it all looks so beautiful and a bit creepy at the same time. Hope you had a good time in Belgrade!

calbags

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you for sharing these duder!

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mjhwwbg said:

The radioactive fish seem crazy!

I read a bit more about them and turns out the only reason the get so large is because they have no natural predators and no one wants to catch them. They eat the sediment at the bottom of the river, most of which is contaminated, so it's understandable no one wants to take it home for dinner.

@dimi3je said:

Hope you had a good time in Belgrade!

Yes I did! I was there for about 10 days, stayed right next to Republic Square. They had these huge robot statues dotted around the area. Any idea what that was about? Also, there was this beer festival down by the river (the one lined with bars and people swimming. I can't remember the name) and an ACDC tribute band played later on at night. It was incredible, loads of good memories from Belgrade.

BoxxyBae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasta: How much did it cost you to be able to walk around their? It always is interesting to me reading about how people take bribes to let them do more.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

This is awesome, duder. I'd love to do that trip, as I've definitely gone down the youtube rabbit hole of Chernobyl videos before and wish I could see the real thing. I enjoyed the bit about them being tired of hearing CoD quotes, though that's probably helped the tourism. That's very cool that you got to see the Ukranian/American girl find her family's house.

Was the tour pretty well-oiled and legit-feeling, or was it a kinda shady "well, we're following this guy now" sort of thing?

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boxxybae said:

@jasta: How much did it cost you to be able to walk around their? It always is interesting to me reading about how people take bribes to let them do more.

The areas that we were walking around are safe, and by safe I mean radiation is not really an issue. Of course, these are abandoned buildings not in the best of shape, so we still had to be careful. Glass was absolutely everywhere so watching your footing was important. Slip and fall and for sure you were going to get cut, it's not the most ideal place to get injured.

Fun fact: The reason all of the windows in Pripyat are broken is because they were lined with a type of metal which is quite valuable. So as soon as the area was safe enough to return, the government sent in people to retrieve this metal. Given the context of the operation they just caved in the windows and didn't bother clearing up afterwards, hence the huge amounts of glass lying around everywhere.

When we got to the high school our guide said to us its difficult to do a tour of the school since it's quite big and a lot of it is very similar. So he told us to go explore all we wanted and meet him out front in 40 mins and would move on. That was great since I figured it would be very curated and it was in fact quite the opposite.

None of this cost any extra. So long as you don't go around eating the vegetation or act like a total ass you'll be fine.

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's very cool that you got to see the Ukranian/American girl find her family's house.

Was the tour pretty well-oiled and legit-feeling, or was it a kinda shady "well, we're following this guy now" sort of thing?

We got to see a lot more of the Chernobyl village along the way, they don't usually let visitors wander around there since the buildings are in bad shape. However, because of our unique circumstances we got to go hunting for her house, which was awesome!

It was by no means shady but at the same time it definitely didn't feel "legit". It was us, our driver and the guide in a fairly modest mini-van. No production value of any kind if that's what you are thinking of. However, you have to get permission from the government to enter the exclusion zone, so to get us the paperwork I reckon they must know what they are doing.

The guide was maybe 22-23 years old and was just a regular dude. Said he had seen some cool stuff passing through in his time doing the job.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By hatking

I've always wanted to go. This is fantastic. Lots of great info. Thanks!

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Summer in Scotland"

Well that was your first mistake, we don't have a summer in Scotland.

Agreed, just varying degrees of lukewarm.

Nashpilkah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Nashpilkah

I've also visited Chernobyl, it was a year ago, got planty of photos but -img- button doesn't work here :(

We booked 5-people tour on http://tour2chernobyl.com/

Here are some photos from other forum

http://thumbsnap.com/Z16oDAT0

http://thumbsnap.com/yLWyE1AH

http://thumbsnap.com/5pcGqizx

http://thumbsnap.com/YZpQRzm7

If some1 can help me to post them here - please contact me.

It's pretty safe btw.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f39c75856922
deactivated-5f39c75856922

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is cool, thanks for sharing

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

That swimming pool is strikingly similar to the room in that game you tried so hard not to name. Blimey. Enjoyed reading this.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#42  Edited By hassun

Awesome pics, thanks for sharing your travel stories!

That room full of gas masks is too perfect.