I want to watch a very good and recent movie.

• 151 results
pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#51  Edited By pweidman

The King's Speech, No Country for Old Men, and TheGirl with the Dragon Tattoo, are all good to great. I recently watched Safe House, and was thoroughly entertained. Good acting and well paced thriller; Denzel W. was fantastic. The Book of Eli was pretty good if you like sci-fi apocolyptic stories...The Road, not so much, just too dark and hopeless imo.

In Brudges is good but uber violent and grotesque in parts...not for kids or faint of heart AT ALL...still pretty good though. Drive is overrated imo. A well shot movie and pretty well acted but it lacked direction, and not near enough driving. Not bad by any means just left me a bit disappointed is all.

Lmao at the Wall-E suggestion(no offense). Too precious. <3.

: Alrighty then, I was wondering about The Grey, I'll give that one a shot. :)

Harkat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Harkat

Source Code

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By PeasantAbuse

@jakob187 said:

The Grey. Man, that movie was SOOOOO fucking good.

YES. I made my parents watch this and they didn't like it, I spent the next two weeks crying.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By handlas

Drive for me as well. On Netflix Instant too already if you have it. Best movie Ive watched since Moon.

Also the Hunter wasnt bad. Rather slow and somewhat depressing tho.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Jay444111

If the DVD is finally out for it. I recommend checking out Cabin in the Woods... such a kickass movie!

Edit: Also... really? I am the only one to say this so far? REALLY!?

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#56  Edited By ProfessorEss
@Bane122 said:

Recently saw and greatly enjoyed both Chronicle and 21 Jump Street.

Yeah I enjoyed both of those as well. Good choices from opposite ends of the spectrum. 

(I still can't quite understand what anybody sees in Drive. I watched it because of all the praise was getting on these forums but I thought it was one of the most boring, over-directed movies I've ever seen)
roc_553

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By roc_553

@Mushir: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy was quite good.

Sploder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Sploder

In Bruges

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#59  Edited By Sooperspy

Seeing as I just watched Scott Pilgrim vs The World last night, it was the first thing that popped up in my head and I will say that that is an amazing movie and came out in 2010.

Also, like many others are suggesting, Drive is fantastic.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d557b323a6f7
deactivated-5d557b323a6f7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly don't get all the love for Drive. I couldn't have been less interested.

I am going to second Exit through the Gift Shop though.

Zuldim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#61  Edited By Zuldim

Chronicle is really good, and was just earlier this year.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#62  Edited By zombie2011

MI: Ghost Protocol.

JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#63  Edited By JTB123

The Grey.

Dixego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#64  Edited By Dixego

Inception. I'm just gonna leave it to that.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By stryker1121

@Mushir: Chronicle..it's another "found footage" movie but it's done quite well and has some interesting characters. Excellent FX ,too, despite the tight budget.

Edit: Keep seeing suggestions for 'Drive" here. I wouldn't exactly recommend that for a 'chill-out' movie. It's a good flick, just a little self-serious for my tastes.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By DrPockets000

Everyone has been saying Drive, which I love with all of my heart, but to be a little different, I will go with Hugo. 

Socialone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Socialone

As a big Half-Life fan, I thoroughly enjoyed Children of Men, which was also highly praised by critics. I swear to God playing the Uprising chapter won't ever be the same.

BRELS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By BRELS

Umm, maybe, Beginners....or Hobo With A Shotgun? I'll chuck in a vote for Shame and Hunger, too :)

andriv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By andriv

@Manhattan_Project said:

@oldschool2112 said:

@Hutzebraedl said:

Drive

Drive was crap. If you just got off a long shift of work, then you probably want mental stimulation, not some directors mental masturbation flick. I suggest the latest Sherlock HOlmes flick. Just smart enough to not insult the intelligence, and constant action to keep you engaged.

edit: If you had included Netflix as an option, my number one suggestion would be The Heir Apparent:Largo Winch. It falls somewhere inbetween Batman the Beginning and a James Bond flick - all without fancy gadgets.

Go kill yourself.

Everyone should watch Drive.

Sherlock holmes 2 was extremely boring?

the first one was a decent entertainment but the second was crap.

isn't wanderlust due for a dvd release? if it hasn't been released yet. That and Drive are pretty good

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#70  Edited By pyromagnestir

@Morrow said:

The God of Carnage.

So just to be clear you're talking about this? Because that's an awesome sounding title, but the movie I found was not quite what I expected. Still interesting though.

theanticitizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By theanticitizen

@murse2008 said:

The Host is 6 years old but watch it before everyone starts confusing it with the movie based on the Stephanie Meyer book.

This. God I love that movie. Or Mother by the same director. But be warned that Mother is a really heavy movie, can be hard to watch at times.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Jrinswand

Moon is such a good movie!

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Winternet

Watch Shame and embrace Steve McQueen's genius.

Take Shelter is also pretty good and you can't never have enough Michael Shannon in your life.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#74  Edited By TheHT

The new Star Trek movie is a good time, though you've probably seen that.

You should watch The Fall. Everyone should watch The Fall.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Morrow

@pyromagnestir said:

@Morrow said:

The God of Carnage.

So just to be clear you're talking about this? Because that's an awesome sounding title, but the movie I found was not quite what I expected. Still interesting though.

Yup. I pretty much did expect what the movie was, I just didn't expect I would like it so much. The actors were so great, the dialogue as well. And I laughed more than while watching an actual comedy. I think if you live in a rural area, where people like the ones portrayed in God of Carnage are literally next door, you'll find this movie ironically accurate. I mean, it's supposed to be overdone, but people living a facade like that really exist.

I also found Christoph Waltz's character hilarious. His cynical commentary was most refreshing, and he was also the most sincere person of the four.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Doctorchimp

@oldschool2112 said:

@Hutzebraedl said:

Drive

Drive was crap. If you just got off a long shift of work, then you probably want mental stimulation, not some directors mental masturbation flick. I suggest the latest Sherlock HOlmes flick. Just smart enough to not insult the intelligence, and constant action to keep you engaged.

edit: If you had included Netflix as an option, my number one suggestion would be The Heir Apparent:Largo Winch. It falls somewhere inbetween Batman the Beginning and a James Bond flick - all without fancy gadgets.

Jay....what'd we say about alt accounts.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#77  Edited By MariachiMacabre

Watch Drive and then buy the soundtrack.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Hunkulese

The Town or Heat because I know you love heists.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Morrow

@andriv said:

Sherlock holmes 2 was extremely boring?

the first one was a decent entertainment but the second was crap.

Unfortunately I felt the same. I love Robert Downey Jr. and really wanted to like SH 2, but it never really clicked.

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Toxin066

I recently watched the Social Network, really really enjoyed the writing. So I'd recommend checking that out.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Morrow

I'd also recommend some Coen brothers:

No Country for Old Men and True Grit.

Also: Contagion. A rather quiet movie with focus mainly on the characters and their emotions. But definately an interesting watch since it's done pretty authentically.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#82  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Men in Black 3?

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By stinky

re: drive vs sherlock.

it's like saying Justin Bieber is crap and suggesting NSYNC as an alternative.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

21 Jump Street is easy to watch and surprisingly good.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By LiquidPrince

@Manhattan_Project said:

@oldschool2112 said:

@Hutzebraedl said:

Drive

Go kill yourself.

I disliked Drive for the most part. I liked that it had a very aware sense of an 80's style movie from everything to the camera movements to the title card font. But the movie was awkwardly paced, and the brutality (which was pretty cool) came outta no where when the girl got shotgunned. I was like whoa... Okay. Also for a movie named Drive, there was surprisingly little driving in it. Like wasn't there only one really short chase sequence?

Anyways, if you're looking for:

• Comedy: 21 Jump Street
  • Popcorn action: Transformers 3
  • Dramatic action: Inception
Schmollian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Schmollian

Men In Black III because it contains vintage Will Smith and Josh Brolin being a Fucking Man(tm)

Inception

Star Trek (2009)

Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Those are my picks for relatively new movies. They are all great in my opinion.

EDIT: The Book of Eli is also a GREAT movie. It's got Denzel Washington being a straight up bad ass and it is written by Giantbomb crew buddy, Garry Whitta.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By pyromagnestir

@Morrow said:

@pyromagnestir said:

@Morrow said:

The God of Carnage.

Yup. I pretty much did expect what the movie was, I just didn't expect I would like it so much. The actors were so great, the dialogue as well. And I laughed more than while watching an actual comedy. I think if you live in a rural area, where people like the ones portrayed in God of Carnage are literally next door, you'll find this movie ironically accurate. I mean, it's supposed to be overdone, but people living a facade like that really exist.

I also found Christoph Waltz's character hilarious. His cynical commentary was most refreshing, and he was also the most sincere person of the four.

I just meant the the name The God of Carnage sounds like something that would be a revenge action movie like a Harry Brown type movie or something. Wasn't expecting a comedy about parents and all that. But I like me some John C Reilly and Christoph Waltz, and the premise sounds potentially quite funny, so I'll give it a shot.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Morrow

@pyromagnestir said:

@Morrow said:

@pyromagnestir said:

@Morrow said:

The God of Carnage.

I just meant the the name The God of Carnage sounds like something that would be a revenge action movie like a Harry Brown type movie or something. Wasn't expecting a comedy about parents and all that. But I like me some John C Reilly and Christoph Waltz, and the premise sounds potentially quite funny, so I'll give it a shot.

Just to make that clear, the movie is not a comedy. Just comical. Hard to explain. Just watch it if you have a chance :)

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Morrow

@Schmollian said:

EDIT: The Book of Eli is also a GREAT movie. It's got Denzel Washington being a straight up bad ass and it is written by Giantbomb crew buddy, Garry Whitta.

It's also referencing from Fallout 3 so much it should be considered plagiarism.

beepmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By beepmachine

I must be the only person who liked Sherlock Holmes 2. I thought it was a pretty solid follow up. Although it's not a "chill-out" movie, Winter's Bone is fantastic and worth looking into.

Schmollian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Schmollian

@Morrow: The script for The Book of Eli was written in 2007, one year before Fallout 3 came out.

EDIT: Actually it was written before that even. 2007 is just when Warner Bros picked it up.

callumbay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By callumbay

@oldschool2112: @oldschool2112 said:

@Hutzebraedl said:

Drive

The newest Sherlock Holmes film was dire. I only saw it 'cause my friend wanted to and even she ended up hating it. You should watch Drive, or BBC's Sherlock series if you have to watch something Sherlock Holmes related. Just not Sherlock Holmes 2, even Robert Downey Jr couldn't make that film entertaining.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By pyromagnestir

@Morrow: Ok now I'm all confused. And the movie has jumped to the top of my Netflix Queue. Also:

@Morrow said:

@Schmollian said:

It's also referencing from Fallout 3 so much it should be considered plagiarism.

Take it easy on Gary Whitta! That guy's great!

herocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By herocide

If you enjoyed the first two and haven't seen the third one yet, Toy Story 3 is great.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#95  Edited By awesomeusername

@Mushir: This should be reason enough. That movie itself and the soundtrack is AMAZING. I actually thought last night about it and I'm going to watch it again tonight. It's a fantastic movie, go watch that shit.

@Jimi said:

Drive is pretty good if you haven't seen it yet.

@Hutzebraedl said:

Drive

@steveurkel said:

Haha, you are really a fucking idiot if you think Sherlock Holmes is better than Drive.. Please, OP, don't take advice from this man. He has terrible taste in movies. Go watch Drive if you want a "thinking" movie, don't watch these other suggestions they are TERRIBLE.

@Manhattan_Project said:

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Morrow

@Schmollian said:

@Morrow: The script for The Book of Eli was written in 2007, two years before Fallout 3 came out.

EDIT: Actually it was written before that even. 2007 is just when Warner Bros picked it up.

No kidding? I read an article somewhere that mentioned the heavy Fallout references. I googled again after your post and even found several articles.

I assume if the script was written before the game was published, the film makers got heavily inspired by the setting and atmosphere of Falllout 3. Because a script alone doesn't make a movie, it's mostly just dialogue and basic setting. Plus, scripts often get changed even during production. I still think the visual similarities are too heavy to be just coincidential.

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By jerseyscum

The Devil's Double. True story about the guy who was forced to body double for Uday Hussen

StrawHatLaw13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By StrawHatLaw13

@Hairy_Fish said:

@BraveToaster said:

The Raid: Redemption

Schmollian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Schmollian

@Morrow said:

@Schmollian said:

@Morrow: The script for The Book of Eli was written in 2007, two years before Fallout 3 came out.

No kidding? I read an article somewhere that mentioned the heavy Fallout references. I googled again after your post and even found several articles.

I assume if the script was written before the game was published, the film makers got heavily inspired by the setting and atmosphere of Falllout 3. Because a script alone doesn't make a movie, it's mostly just dialogue and basic setting. Plus, scripts often get changed even during production. I still think the visual similarities are too heavy to be just coincidential.

Alright, now do a google image search for "Mad Max" and see who it actually was that was "heavily inspired". The ideas and setting presented by the Fallout franchise are FAR from original.

The point is, The Book of Eli is a damn good movie, whether its setting was inspired by other media or not. Its a good watch which contains good characters, a decent plot, and one hell of a twist that makes you want to watch it a second time. Anyway, if the OP wants a good movie to watch, The Book of Eli fits.

Wesker411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Wesker411

F'all that other crap, except for Book of Eli. Check out Ip Man!