If you had to choose, what would you choose to never say again?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll If you had to choose, what would you choose to never say again? (123 votes)

I'm sorry (or anything synonymous with it). 76%
Thank you (or anything synonymous with it). 24%

If you had to choose between those two things, which would you choose? Although I'd feel like an ass, I'd probably choose sorry. From what I understand, you can say sorry too much, I've never really heard people say you can say thank you too much; quite the opposite in fact. It's a simple little thing I was wondering about. What would you choose? Oh, and when I say sorry it's for both sympathy as well as mistakes you may have made.

• 
devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

I'm sorry. While expressing regret and remorse is super useful, if you can't say it someone it doesn't mean you can't still feel it. And the purpose of apologies is less about making the people you've wronged feel better and more about you learning how to be better yourself.

Thank you on the other hand is a vital, underrated part of the human connection. Without the acknowledgement of each others efforts, accomplishments and achievements we end up pretty stuck in a bubble. Saying thank you or acknowledging even the smallest of gestures can earnestly mean way more than people give it credit for. Whether it be to a bus driver, a cashier, what have you. Earnest gratitude is legitimately more fundamental to a functioning society than any apology, however well delivered.

KirkyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I’m British. I’ve a stereotype to uphold.

TreeTrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

There are different ways to say sorry, I think saying something like "don't worry, I didn't mean it, I will do better" is a good substitute, but for 'thank you', there's not really an alternative I can think of that is better.

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you. I think. It is part of my nature to avoid 'bothering' people, meaning I don't have to say 'thank you' a lot. And I need to be able to say sorry for pretty much everything I do. I can't not say sorry. I'll just do something nice or buy a present to substitute the 'thank you'. It'll be bad, but at least I can apologize for not saying 'thank you'. ;-)

lead_dispencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’m sorry, but thank you?

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

You can live a life never needing to say sorry, I don't think the same can be said of thank you.

taiterfry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pffff, what about us Canadians?

@kirkyx said:

I’m British. I’ve a stereotype to uphold.

millionthlayla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can live a life never needing to say sorry, I don't think the same can be said of thank you.

Is that you, Jesus? :P

JPPT1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sorry but that would be cruel not to say it when you did something wrong. Caught me between a rock and a hard place.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

I mean, I can still admit to my fuck ups, right? I can just say 'I fucked up' without directly apologizing for it, but make my tone regretful. That's the thing, tone of voice and facial language is very powerful. So it wouldn't be too much of a loss to not say sorry directly. Thank yous are kinda expected in society. You can sound and look grateful, but people will demand you say it, so this is kinda an easy one.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I’ve made it nearly four decades without apologizing...why start now?

Seriously though, I show gratitude frequently. Not being able to offer simple gestures of gratitude would be super weird.