If you want to see a film that is bonkers fun, watch Barbarian

cubbielover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By cubbielover

I went to see Barbarian this past Monday, and it has stuck with me incredibly well. It's a horror movie that is crazy in some amazing ways, and the original trailer gives absolutely NOTHING away. If you want a good horror film, I can't recommend it enough. Has anyone else seen it? Also, it has one of the funniest sequences I have seen in a film in quite some time. Hint: the measuring sequence.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'm curious about it, but not sure if I'm going to watch it.

Is it jump scare heavy or more psychological or what kind of horror exactly? Couldn't place it from the trailer with the audience reactions.

cubbielover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@myke_tuna: I wouldn't say it is jump scare heavy, but there are some really tense, drawn out moments. I have an active imagination, so my favorite horror movies are ones that tell a story so that when it's over, everything is wrapped up so well, the scares don't linger (movies that end with an obvious sequel hook keep the scares in my head). I will say this...the trailer is NOT what the movie is. The movie does a great job building up tension, and then soothing your anxiety for 15ish minutes, then revving back up again.

Jean1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not much of a horror fan but know that others will love that kind of movie.

dreadnation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Between this movie, Malignant, and Nope (and most likely many others), it's neat to see the weird side of horror get played with such a straight face and to such a wide audience.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@cubbielover: Thanks for the info! I'm definitely going to check this out then. Has me curious and I hear good things from multiple people.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SethMode

Saw this in the theater on Saturday and it is one of the better horror movies I've seen in a very long time. I love when a film can still surprise me, and boy this one did.

@cubbielover is right too, there are a FEW jump scares, but the majority of the movie is all about tension building to the point where you feel like someone next to you is going to breathe too loudly and make you jump more than it is the actual movie exploiting that. Personally, I thought it was a great balance, although there were times where the tension was so palpable in the theater that I thought someone was going to just fucking scream at the screen (and that it was going to be me) during a couple of scenes.

cubbielover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethmode: I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I feel like this movie is getting a lot of second hand buzz.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SethMode
@cubbielover said:

@sethmode: I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I feel like this movie is getting a lot of second hand buzz.

Definitely! We saw it sort of on a lark (although we owe the final push to you because I offhandedly said "there was a thread about that movie just recently that was really high on it" so...thanks! haha) as we didn't know what to do on Saturday when our original plans fell through.

As far as the scene you mentioned in spoilers in your first post...my god, the entire thing with that was both hilarious and like "OH FUCK."