If you wanted a Folding Phone- What form factor

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

Poll If you wanted a Folding Phone- What form factor (21 votes)

I want a current smartphone size, that folds out into a small tablet size 52%
I want a square that folds out to current smartphone size 0%
Tri-fold, smartphone size that folds out to be a 16x9 tablet shape 14%
Just the results please... 33%

Let us just all assume these phones are equally strong, rugged and reliable; so the only questions becomes how small do you want it in your pocket and how big do you want it folded out.

My take:
I want it to fold out form a 6" smartphone screen to a bigger screen maybe 3:4 ratio. The typical 6" tall by 3" wide smartphone is plenty portable for me, and I think the current smartphone screen is fine for a quick check by I COULD use a bigger "tablets" sized screen for looking at maps, movies, images, etc. I square while folded "billfold phone" that turns into a 5.9" x 2.9" screen does not offer much that I can use in terms of reduced size. JMO

In everyday use I think there are times when more screen space so images, movies, websites would be easier to look at or use bigger. Moreover, I think my pocket would easily accommodate a smartphone that folded out, my pockets are not hurting for room or accommodate the height of a current smartphone.

I really want to know what people think. Folding phones are coming, but I think they are actuality going to be a form factor that is just standard in five years. Before iPhone showed up so many phones were folding phones, or phones with a slide that revealed a keyboard. I think folding phones inevitably the next step once again. They might be niche for next two years, but they WILL take over eventually. Thus what is the form factor you think you would want? Like I said, put aside your ideas of if one type is stronger than another...if it was just 'folded size' and 'folded out size' what form factor do you thinking you would use.

• 
nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By nutter

They all have their merits, but I think I’d get the most use out of something the size of my XR that COULD fold into something double-wide.

I’d still want to use it like a phone most of the time, but the option to double screen size at will would be useful.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I've been a Samsung Note user for a while. I love drawing on it, but the screen is too small. Right now I'm weighing getting a tablet or upgrading to a new Note. A folding phone that folds out to a tablet may be my solution. I hope we see the improved Samsung folding phone soon.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Onemanarmyy

If we assume that the tech is good & durability is not an issue, ideally i would want a phone that could truly have an entirely new usecase if you fold it out. having a normal tabletsize screen makes watching a movie more enjoyable, but being able to transform it into a 16x9 screen would be a more exciting transformation.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm most interested in the idea of the Tri-Fold but more likely to use small tablet.

Small device that folds into normal phone? Get outta here with that.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@efesell said:

I'm most interested in the idea of the Tri-Fold but more likely to use small tablet.

Small device that folds into normal phone? Get outta here with that.

Yes, sir! Seriously, through I hear you. A no comprise tablet that does what you want quickly and well is better than a device that is merely "trying hard".

I remember before smartphones and tablets, I loved my netbook. I had a Samsung NC-10 netbook which was a reasonable comprise for the time, before smartphones and tablets. It has a 10" screen, realistic usage 6-hour battery (not the 7.5 they advertised), ran full Windows XP, and weighted 2.5 lbs. It was light enough to carry, had strong Wifi reception, and the keyboard -while small- could be typed on. That best part - Netbooks were affordable and remarkably good for a travel/coffee shop computer.

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By emprpngn

I'd actually like screen sizes to get a little smaller so phones are easier to hold, but then fold out for when you want a Note/small tablet sized screen.