• 75 results
#1 Edited by grapegrape (8 posts) -

via statement from IGN to Kotaku (Jason Schreier)

This news comes two months after former IGN employee Kallie Plagge accused her former co-worker Vince Ingenito of sexually harassing her and another woman. (Ingenito was let go in March 2017.) The Monday after Plagge made those accusations, IGN’s editorial staff had several meetings about what had happened, and eventually decided to put out a statement committing to “fix what is broken” within the company’s culture.

During one of those meetings, someone accused Butts of harassment, according to a person who was in the room. The accuser did not share more details in the meeting, but IGN consequently began investigating what had happened.

#2 Posted by Anthony (364 posts) -

The massive gaming website IGN has fired its editor-in-chief, Steve Butts

lol

#3 Posted by htr10 (1048 posts) -

Man, the internet is a stupid place. A guy gets fired for misconduct at work and half the comments on the story at Kotaku are people laughing at his last name being “Butts”. The whole internet should be fired for misconduct.

#4 Edited by Ungodly (447 posts) -

@htr10: the internet is known for being easily distracted

#5 Edited by Shiftygism (933 posts) -

@htr10 said:

Man, the internet is a stupid place. A guy gets fired for misconduct at work and half the comments on the story at Kotaku are people laughing at his last name being “Butts”. The whole internet should be fired for misconduct.

Well, you know, if he used better judgement, he wouldn't be the butt of a joke.

#6 Posted by htr10 (1048 posts) -

@shiftygism:

You’re fired from the internet for misconduct. Remember when Jeff let loose in Butt City? He’s also fired from the internet.

#7 Posted by Lekebusch (16 posts) -

@shiftygism: Don't mean to butt in on the conversation like this, but that was quite amusing.

#8 Posted by Torrim (409 posts) -

I know you can't choose your last name.

Until youre a legal adult

then you change your last name so you're not a grown man named Butts.

#9 Edited by dgtlty (1221 posts) -

Another one butts the dust.

#10 Posted by Anthony (364 posts) -

@htr10 said:

Yeah this scumbag Butts is harassing his employees and creating a toxic work environment but no, you focus on the people laughing at his name and call them stupid. Nice priorities.

#11 Posted by FrodoBaggins (2049 posts) -

This guy is defiantly the Butt of the joke.

#12 Posted by htr10 (1048 posts) -

I did this. I did this to this thread. I called out people about making jokes about the last name Butts and in accordance with the "opposite of what you intended" law of the internet, made this thread be about butt jokes. I fire myself from the internet. I will now take "the long walk" into the wasteland, a la Max van Sydow in the Judge Dredd movie (the Sylvester Stallone one, not the good one).

#13 Edited by Efesell (4475 posts) -

I refuse to feel bad about about roasting this jerks goofy last name.

#14 Posted by Humanoid (193 posts) -

The massive gaming website IGN has fired its editor-in-chief, Steve Butts

You reap what you sow.

#15 Posted by Lekebusch (16 posts) -

@htr10: No friend. We all did this. No ifs or butts about it.

#16 Edited by TravisRex (819 posts) -

Im a mailman, you see a lot of unfortunate names delivering mail. Saw a guy with the last name Buttram once.

#17 Posted by Zevvion (5965 posts) -

Title seems weird. Misconduct was alleged, then IGN did an investigation which apparently lasted at least two months, then they fired him as the result of that. Sounds more like they determined misconduct, not just alleged.

#18 Posted by Max_Cherry (1588 posts) -

It's a good thing they are getting on top of this now before it becomes a systematic problem.

#19 Posted by Neurogia (147 posts) -

When something stinks, it's usually the Butts.

#20 Posted by Efesell (4475 posts) -

@zevvion said:

Title seems weird. Misconduct was alleged, then IGN did an investigation which apparently lasted at least two months, then they fired him as the result of that. Sounds more like they determined misconduct, not just alleged.

I think that's just a passing legal sort of thing.

#21 Posted by CrazyBagMan (1647 posts) -

These days I'd say I'm more surprised when people are alleged to be moral, ethical people.

#22 Posted by Dixavd (2895 posts) -

I'm happy that the IGN staff took such a strong stance on this especially since it would have been so easy to hide behind the fact that Plagge had already left the company. The way she was treated was terrible, so I'm glad they took it seriously (even it took too long). Disgusted to hear that not only was this EIC unempathetic to Plagge's harassment from a coworker but also that the EIC directly hurt another. Glad to hear they're gone (and I hope the relatively-small make-up of the game's industry doesn't rehire them).

Avatar image for ultimategamer69
#23 Posted by ultimategamer69 (46 posts) -

haha his name is steve butts

#24 Posted by Slag (8157 posts) -

Given the way he responded to the Kallie Plagge situation and to Kallie herself on twitter, can't say I'm surprised at all. Hopefully this leads to meaningful change at IGN.

#25 Edited by Casepb (674 posts) -

I'm guessing he was a butt man?

#26 Posted by NTM (11749 posts) -

I don't follow IGN anymore due to how some of them treated Colin Moriarity after a bad joke on Twitter. That just rubbed me the wrong way and was made much larger than necessary, making Colin out to be a person he probably isn't. That said, I'm glad they're doing something about this. I'm also surprised that Vince Ingenito is gone; I hadn't heard about that. Though if he did those things, that is creepy and it's good he's not there. That said, have they taken comments off the videos that people like Naomi are in because the comments section any time I had ever been in there was littered with people talking about Naomi Kyle's looks... Oh, I just read that Naomi Kyle left IGN. Hmmmm.

#27 Posted by xanadu (2037 posts) -

What a butt head.

#28 Posted by doctordonkey (1819 posts) -

Well, he shouldn't have let loose in butt city if he didn't want to get called on it.

#29 Edited by TheRealTurk (506 posts) -

This Butts guy sounds like an ass.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
#30 Posted by deactivated-5b85a38d6c493 (1990 posts) -

What an unfortunate last name.

#31 Posted by KingBonesaw (1399 posts) -

I'll admit I was clenching pretty hard when I heard that an IGN employee was fired since I do like to listen to their podcasts on occasion, even worse that it was somebody who ran their entire editorial department. It's pretty shitty that the work environment there sounded pretty bad for the last little bit due to the stink hanging over the whole company. IGN did a really bad job of handling the harassment situations recently and need to be more anal about getting these investigations done properly.

#32 Edited by ripelivejam (13162 posts) -

@kingbonesaw: Wish IGN didn't spend so much time farting around.

Avatar image for kristov_romanov
#33 Posted by kristov_romanov (508 posts) -

He he, Steve...

#34 Edited by Monkeyman04 (2793 posts) -

At least his parents didn't call him Seymour.

#35 Posted by gnomeonfire (1124 posts) -

I bet some people will think the allegations are asinine, but I don't give a toot, some people deserve to be pinched.

#36 Posted by Justin258 (15647 posts) -

At least his parents didn't call him Seymour.

Or Harry.

#37 Posted by TheHT (15837 posts) -
#38 Posted by Justin258 (15647 posts) -
#39 Posted by Monkeyman04 (2793 posts) -

@theht: I see what you did there.

#40 Edited by MostlySquares (322 posts) -

The culling continues. Good.

Just imagine how much better the internet will be once this is all "done". If shitbags no longer have a mainstream media outlet to tarnish, the decent people's voices will be all the stronger. This dude was the head honcho there.... Which articles did he nix and which did he request one wonders.

#41 Edited by Puchiko (846 posts) -

Its pretty sad how many people make light of this because of someones name. Steve has been around since the PC Gamer days and its sad to see him go out like this. As someone who IRL has a name that gets made fun of because of its spelling i'm SMH at this community.

I'm not defending his personal behavior at all but what he has done to transform IGN as a whole around from what it was before made me recently change my opinion of the site.

#42 Edited by oldenglishc (1545 posts) -

Harassment in the workplace should never be tolerated. No ifs, ands, or Steves about it.

#43 Edited by Dray2k (884 posts) -

Meh, it super sucks that this sort of thing happens all the time but I'm hopeful that at some point people will learn and understand that all of these issues stem from culture and the perspectives of ones own privileges rather than just boiling it down to people being aweful.

While is also not fully wrong that some people can be just bad, awefulness in general doesn't appear out of the ether and just materialises for no good reasons but rather doing bad things can stem from similar inspirations as good things can. There is a complexity to the issue that not enough people are willing to think about.

I think its really important to think about on how such a problem could've surfaced in the first place. Kicking out the person alone for doing something very wrong is just one step out of many on how to prevent further misconduct.

Wasn't Incognito (reviewer on IGN) fired for a similar thing? I believe that there might be a systematic problem here.

#44 Posted by xanadu (2037 posts) -

@puchiko: You're upset at the people making fun of someone who sexually harassed his employee?? Wow...

#45 Posted by Lanechanger (1680 posts) -

@htr10 said:

I did this. I did this to this thread. I called out people about making jokes about the last name Butts and in accordance with the "opposite of what you intended" law of the internet, made this thread be about butt jokes. I fire myself from the internet. I will now take "the long walk" into the wasteland, a la Max van Sydow in the Judge Dredd movie (the Sylvester Stallone one, not the good one).

I think you got this whole thing ass backwards; it was gonna happen regardless, don't be so hard on yourself.

#46 Posted by TheChris (488 posts) -

I'm looking for a Butts, first name Seymour.

#47 Posted by Johnny_Sailor (118 posts) -

So two things:

1 - Glad that the guy got the 2 month investigation. We live in a time where people are guilty until proven innocent, and that’s not the way it should be. Too many places either fire or make someone leave just due to allegations. Everyone deserves to be innocent until proven otherwise.

2 - People need to quit looking at their place of employment as a dating pool. There are so many other outlets now to find someone to date. Dating, or trying to flirt with a coworker is just a bad idea. Keep it professional. Even if you hang out with people outside of work, be yourself while outside of work, and then be in professional mode while you’re at work.

#48 Edited by Puchiko (846 posts) -

What are you implying? I'm not defending the guy. I'm not upset, I'm just SMH at how people are making light of a situation.

@xanadu said:

@puchiko: You're upset at the people making fun of someone who sexually harassed his employee?? Wow...

#49 Posted by JohnyMyko (1869 posts) -

IGN (...) need to be more anal about getting these investigations done properly.

Well, they fired Butts...

#50 Posted by xanadu (2037 posts) -

@puchiko said:

What are you implying? I'm not defending the guy. I'm not upset, I'm just SMH at how people are making light of a situation.

@xanadu said:

In regards to your pm: i have no problem with you. Further ridiculing a guy who abused his power over a subordinate is not making light of the situation. He will most likely move on, get a new job, and everyone else will forget about it. He deserves no sympathy for his last name because he did a good job at his last place of work where he was also harassing employees.