IGN's review of GOW 3 will be up tomorrow -- score predictions?

• 67 results
Popskinz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Popskinz

Just like the title suggests; I'm guessing a 9.5. Ever since IGN scrapped their decimal rating system (.1,.2,.3,.4 etc..) and instead resorted to increments (.0 and 0.5's) predicting what rating they are gonna hand out to games is much easier. So far Gears of War 3 looks stellar, and the beta was a blast. Let me know what yo think.

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By KarlPilkington

Either 8.5, 9.0 or 9.5.

I'm being really precise with my predictions.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Deranged

Well considering they don't even give out tens anymore and they have that stupid .5 scale now, it's going to get a 9.5.

The beta was amazing, glad they improved gameplay from the shitfest that was Gears of War 2 and there are so many modes in the third game I can't see it faling. Horde 2.0 was praised by IGN many, many times and I'm so excited for Beast Mode. I'm kind of sad that the campaign is coming to an end though... But i'm going to play this shit out of this game.

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sirdesmond

Because it's IGN, I'd say there is almost no chance it will be anything outside of the 9.0-10 range.

Popskinz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Popskinz

@mcderby4: Right on; if anything Epic has said that the Gears of war 3 campaign will be longest single-player campaign they have ever made. This is has me really intrigued, since i actually used to play the original Unreal, and that game had a campaign that lasted well over ten hours.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By ryanwho

I suppose someone on high is wondering if he should pander and give it a 9.8 or get more hits from people complaining like psychos by going as low as 9.4. I don't think the game itself factors much into it at all.

ds8k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By ds8k

I bet a dollar that Jeff gives it a 4.

Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Deranged

@Popskinz: Indeed, although the Gears of War 2 campaign wasn't really short though it wasn't long either. Much more enjoyable than the first though, save for the last boss fight :P I just hope for multiplayer they have the classic game modes such as Execution in there. I liked Team Deathmatch and it's a cool new addition for newcomers, but I hope they still appeal to the hardcore Gears 1 players such as myself and brought back Execution.

Popskinz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Popskinz

@ds8k said:

I bet a dollar that Jeff gives it a 4.

Naah, Jeff absolutely loves the Gears of War games -- he gave the first game a 9.6 (he was working for Gamespot at the time) and the second game a 5/5. If somebody is going to give Gears of War 3 the highest score possible, it's got to be Jeff ;)

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Vexxan

I'm guessing 9.0

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SomeJerk

Nine p.. oh, IGN?

ds8k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ds8k

@Popskinz: Shit. Looks like I'm gonna lose my dollar.

Curious, does the Gears series get any better after the original? I bought my 360 back when it came out solely for GoW and never completed it. I then bought it for PC a few months ago with the intent of finally beating it, but I just cannot force myself to get through it.The combat is just so dull to me coming from UT2004. Felt like a chore to play against people in multiplayer too. Does the gamespeed get better at all?

SpartanAmbrose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SpartanAmbrose

@ds8k: Gears of War 2 is a much better game. However, if you didn't like the combat in the original, you're probably still not going to like Gears 2 or 3.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#14  Edited By wefwefasdf

I'm going to guess that it receives a 9.5 from IGN. I also bet it'll get a five stars from Giant Bomb.

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Contro

8.5 - I cant see it doing much better unless there have been radical changes to gameplay, which I highly doubt has happened. Gears funfamental gameplay will look starkly tired alongside other cover based shooters of the day. The likes Vanquish offer far more dynamic gameplay scenarios. I'm sure Epic will try to mix things up with good level design which is conducive to good co'op play, and add a range of newer more mobile vehicles, but I do think their attempts will fall flat in the eyes of those who deconstruct the game objectively. The audience will have high expectations, that I think Gears cannot meet with it's gameplay style. I have no doubt it will be a memorable and fitting send-off for fans though.

Gerhabio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By Gerhabio

No, 9.5...

10!

Aw, I don't know.

ds8k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ds8k

@SpartanAmbrose: How is it a better game then? My only problem is that I'd have to play it on a console with a controller which is something I don't want to do.

Popskinz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Popskinz

@Contro said:

8.5 - I cant see it doing much better unless there have been radical changes to gameplay, which I highly doubt has happened. Gears funfamental gameplay will look starkly tired alongside other cover based shooters of the day. The likes Vanquish offer far more dynamic gameplay scenarios. I'm sure Epic will try to mix things up with good level design which is conducive to good co'op play, and add a range of newer more mobile vehicles, but I do think their attempts will fall flat in the eyes of those who deconstruct the game objectively. The audience will have high expectations, that I think Gears cannot meet with it's gameplay style. I have no doubt it will be a memorable and fitting send-off for fans though.

You could absolutely be right -- I have however noticed that IGN are extremely positive towards sequels and do not hesistate to give them higher scores than their respective predecessors, and I'm guessing they'll do the same this time around.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

9.5. Simply because it's Gears 3.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CptBedlam

@SomeJerk said:

Nine p.. oh, IGN?

SpartanAmbrose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SpartanAmbrose

@ds8k said:

@SpartanAmbrose: How is it a better game then? My only problem is that I'd have to play it on a console with a controller which is something I don't want to do.

I haven't played them in a while, but I distinctly remember the story being much more enjoyable in the sequel. Here's a quote from metacritic that sums it up nicely: "The scope of the action is bigger: new characters, more weapons, nastier enemies, bigger vehicles, and grander locales offer more action, more emotion, and more thrills."

Also, horde mode.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

D for don't care. After buying the first two games and not being disappointed I doubt the third game will be bad especially considering they had a full year to polish it, and even if it does suck I buy it just to know how the story ends.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

I'll go ahead and say from 8.5 to 9.5.

ds8k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ds8k

@SpartanAmbrose: Eh, waves of enemies has never been fun to me. I'd rather play against a team of real people instead of computer AI.

I guess I'll finally finish GoW1 and be satisfied with that. If CliffyB ever stops being a dick maybe they'll get around to releasing the sequels on PC.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By Nekroskop

I thought we agreed on that GoW was exclusive to God of War. I am really disappointed, guys...

thespartandon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26  Edited By thespartandon

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By AlexanderSheen

Over 9000. Sorry, I don't care.

Popskinz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Popskinz

@ahaisthisourchance: Well writing "IGN's review of Gears of War 3 will be up tomorrow -- score predictions?" didn't work so i didn't really have a choice.

Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Quacktastic

Don't they only do .5 increments now?  9.5.

Popskinz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Popskinz

@Quacktastic said:

Don't they only do .5 increments now? 9.5.

Yeah they do. A wise decision if you ask me.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By CheapPoison

If no one has made the remark " but God of War 3 review has been up for quite some time now..."

Well consider that done! :D

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#32  Edited By cookiemonster

Who cares?

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Jeffsekai

9 or something.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#34  Edited By ajamafalous
@Popskinz said:

@ahaisthisourchance: Well writing "IGN's review of Gears of War 3 will be up tomorrow -- score predictions?" didn't work so i didn't really have a choice.

"IGN's review of Gears 3 will be up tomorrow -- score predictions?"
Popskinz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Popskinz

@ajamafalous: Ohhh...right.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By BulletproofMonk

I'd say 9.

Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Deranged

@SpartanAmbrose said:

@ds8k: Gears of War 2 is a much better game. However, if you didn't like the combat in the original, you're probably still not going to like Gears 2 or 3.

I highly disagree with this. The only thing better in Gears 2 were graphics, story, and the addition of horde. The gameplay was a whole step backwards. Gears 3 has the right idea speeding up the gameplay like it was in the first. Multiplayer in the second game was severely broken as well.

Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Deranged

@Contro said:

Gears of War 3 gameplay has radically changed since Gears 2, as has graphics, a wide addition of modes, and most likely a lengthier campaign. if they have the balls to give each Call of Duty the same score or higher, then they have some severe problems if they downgrade Gears of War 3 considering every COD game is identical in every aspect.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Afroman269

@KarlPilkington said:

Either 8.5, 9.0 or 9.5.

I'm being really precise with my predictions.

That's a good range. GB's review is going up tomorrow too, I'm expecting 5.

@SpartanAmbrose said:

@ds8k: Gears of War 2 is a much better game.

Compared to what? If you say 3 then I'm going to have to say, wat?

@AlexanderSheen said:

Over 9000. Sorry, I don't care.

Apparently not enough that you decided to post here, or did you really need to let people know that you don't care?

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#40  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

@Jeffsekai said:

9 or something.

Popskinz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Popskinz

@CookieMonster said:

Who cares?

I do, that's why I decided to make this thread in the first place...did that ever cross your mind?

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Afroman269

@mcderby4 said:

@SpartanAmbrose said:

I highly disagree with this. The only thing better in Gears 2 were graphics, story, and the addition of horde. The gameplay was a whole step backwards. Gears 3 has the right idea speeding up the gameplay like it was in the first. Multiplayer in the second game was severely broken as well.

@mcderby4 said:

@Contro said:

Gears of War 3 gameplay has radically changed since Gears 2, as has graphics, a wide addition of modes, and most likely a lengthier campaign. if they have the balls to give each Call of Duty the same score or higher, then they have some severe problems if they downgrade Gears of War 3 considering every COD game is identical in every aspect.

This man speaks the truth!

Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Heltom92
Oh awesome I didn't realise that the review was gonna be up so early, I'm guessing 9 or 9.5, maybe even a 10.
Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Meowshi

2 points higher than whatever they gave Space Marine.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By phrosnite

9 or 9.5

left4doof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By left4doof

I'm more intrested in what giantbombs score will be

Popskinz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Popskinz

@left4doof said:

I'm more intrested in what giantbombs score will be

I think 5/5 is almost entirely guaranteed, given the high praise Jeff gave the first two Gears games.

NickBOTT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#48  Edited By NickBOTT

ds8k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ds8k

@mcderby4: Wait. Gears of War 2 is slower than the original? Good god.

bombHills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By bombHills

Niner