igoogle being discontinued

shrinerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By shrinerr

iGoogle has been my start/home page for my browser (chrome) for quite some time now. Before that it was regular google and before that it was yahoo. I just like the idea of having a start page with all these different things on them at once. On my igoogle I have gmail, cnn, espn, kotaku, weather, google trends, deadspin, and baka updates (don't judge me) So when I got the notification igoogle is being discontinued I was surprised. Granted it's not for another year, but still.

Anyways, anyone have any suggestions for a start/home page that functions like igoogle. I'm old so I'm reluctant to start doing the whole rss feed thing. Any help is appeciated.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By WilltheMagicAsian

The first thing I found googling igoogle alternatives is this.

It doesn't seem too bad, you may be able to get what you want out of it, although it does seem to be geared more towards businesses looking at the pricing for their premium service.

I guess the next alternative would be Rainmeter, but that's not a web page.

djames216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#3  Edited By djames216

@shrinerr: I'm a long-time user of igoogle too. I like having a configurable start page and was disappointed at them discontinuing it. Anyway, I am giving www.netvibes.coma go. They do a basic free service for adding widgets etc to your page. If anyone has any other alternatives to igoogle they want to recommend, fire away.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I used to use iGoogle. I was basically using it as a glorified RSS reader with my email and the weather on there too. I started using Google Reader for my RSS needs, and I have gmail as a pinned tab in chrome with the unread messages counter on the icon, so that serves that purpose.

I'm sure there are chrome extensions that will provide similar experiences with flashier interfaces. Maybe this, or something similar? It has lots of cool widgets, I don't know if it does RSS feeds or anything like that. I used that extension for a brief while because it looked cool, but could never be bothered to customize it properly so I just uninstantiated it. Either way, if that doesn't do the trick, I'm sure there will be similar alternatives.

Mijati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Mijati

I've been using iGoogle since it came out, so yeah since 2005. Luckily we have 16 months to find something new so no rush but is a real shame they're discontinuing it :(.

One of my favourite things about it is having a "sticky note" there. So if I need to quickly type information, it's there. I have my phone number there too for easy copy + paste for websites and a bunch of other information such as doctor's appointments and what not so I don't forget. Having the clock there too is nice as don't have any other clock in my room so when I'm away from my computer but it's still on I can glance over and see the time.

Damn you google :(

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By emprpngn

@WilltheMagicAsian said:

The first thing I found googling igoogle alternatives is this.

It doesn't seem too bad, you may be able to get what you want out of it, although it does seem to be geared more towards businesses looking at the pricing for their premium service.

I guess the next alternative would be Rainmeter, but that's not a web page.

I used Rainmeter a few years ago. I think it might require a bit more under-the-hood tinkering than most people want to do, but once it's configured, it's pretty great.

Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Yeah, I was a little bummed to hear this. I've been using iGoogle for some time and like it. I guess I'll keep my eyes open for an alternative.

swafo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By swafo

There's a new project (MoDomhan) in the works that you should check out:

http://www.indiegogo.com/modomhan

It's a highly customizable page (or pages) that allows you to add whatever widget(s) you want. So it looks like it will be able to do everything that IGoogle can, plus a bunch more!

shrinerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey guys I hate bringing up old threads but I have like 3 days left so if anyone has found any decent alternatives please list them here. Any help is appreciated :)

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By Snail

I'm surprised that a Google service using the "i" prefix managed to last this long into the Android vs iOS battle.

Last time I saw iGoogle was almost 2 years ago (well actually, just a few months before this post I guess), and I kind of assumed it would have been axed by now.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By TobbRobb

I tried iGoogle oe upon a time, it was neat. Though seriously, why even use a homepage? I just have the last closed tabs pop up again so I can keep doing what I did last, or just start new tabs to do something else.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Just switch to an RSS reader like Feedly. It might take you a bit to adjust to the idea, but you'll wonder how you ever lived without it before long.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I've tried some of the alternatives that some sites have listed but most of them are bloated and unwieldy. I dunno what I'm gonna do now. I don't think I can live without my ♥iGooglie♥.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

I looked at it once only for me to realise 'who the hell needs a homepage anymore'?

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@wintersnowblind said:

Just switch to an RSS reader like Feedly. It might take you a bit to adjust to the idea, but you'll wonder how you ever lived without it before long.

This is great! I've spent the last half hour messing around with it and it seems like a nice replacement for iGoogle. Thanks for mentioning it.

CynicalBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never really used iGoogle that much.