I'm 20, and i can't drink alcohol?

• 140 results
SneeryWall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I feel like I should like it, but every mixed drink i make tastes like shit, and i usually end up throwing up. What can i drink that tastes ok? I don't really like beer that much and I don't know what to do

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

How about just not drink alcohol

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 10

@steadyingmeat said:

Yeah, alcohol is gross and leads to poor decisions.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

You aren't required to drink alcohol. I don't. I'm the same way, I just don't like any of the stuff I tried.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I am calling the 911!

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

Beer is a fairly wide spectrum, so there is probably a beer that you'll like, and many that you hate. For example, my brother in law really only likes Guiness and other stout beers. I like Alexander Keith's and other IPAs.

I can't really help you with mixed drinks. I drink vodka straight, or wine. My cousin really can't stand alcohol but her one exception is strawberry wine.

alexross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you happen to like the way tomato juice tastes, you may like a Bloody Mary. Hard cider also doesn't taste much like alcohol, but your friends might call you a girl for drinking it.

TehPickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I wouldn't worry about it. I'm 32 and I still can't stand the shit. If you don't like it by now, you probably never will.

Not such a bad thing though. You'll save yourself from plenty of embarrassments, as well as a boat load of money.

SneeryWall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yeah i could not drink it, although the millions of people who do may be on to something...

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love alcohol, but its not for everyone. Just be careful the way you phrase "i dont drink" because alot of people might assume you were an alcoholic and stopped drinking. I know someone who has that issue, i find it hilarious but it's a huge pain for him.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Just don't drink it. There's no sense in forcing yourself to drink something you don't like.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

It's my understanding that it takes a while to get a taste for alcohol. I don't actually know because I don't drink.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@steadyingmeat said:

Yeah, alcohol is gross and leads to poor decisions.

You're better off not drinking.

seveword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most hard liquor, in my experience, tastes like shit unless you get high-quality, expensive stuff. Most drinks that have a flavor beyond "harsh and burning" also have something sugary in them, and I'm not a fan of sugary drinks either, so most hard stuff is off the table for me.

There are so many different beers, with a variety of tastes, that to dismiss it out of hand is a little premature, in my opinion. Once I realized that Bud Light was not, in fact, a gold standard for anything except watered down and shitty beer, and I expanded my taste horizons, I found a lot of stuff to like.

Still, don't feel pressured to drink just because of your friends or family. If you find that you legitimately don't like the stuff, then don't drink it. Doing something just to "fit in" when you don't like it is dumb.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Same here. I wouldn't worry about it. I've yet to run into situation where my distaste for alcohol has been a problem.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yeah i could not drink it, although the millions of people who do may be on to something...

Haha, hey man, if everyone jumps off a cliff would you do it too just to fit in?

If you don't like it don't worry about it. My family owns a bar, and I seriously can't stand any of the shit there. I've begun to wonder if people just drink to be social, rather than because they enjoy it. I've done a few shots here and there with people - can't stand the shit, but it's nice to socialize. I've never thrown up because I didn't like the taste though... Are you trying out whiskey or rum or some other really heavy drink?

Make sure you're mixing it properly. When I mix drinks, I usually do only like 10% vodka and the rest as juice or lemonade.

Though if you're throwing up because of it, then you might be allergic to something in the drink.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it tastes like shit don't drink it. Simple as that.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, if you're looking for suggestions, telling us what you've tried could help us out in that regard.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By Corevi

I suggest starting with some "girly" drinks, stuff with fruits in it. Also Rum and Coke.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

It's something you get used to. Just keep trying stuff and eventually you'll find things you like and other things will grow on you or at least become less offensive. When I started drinking I hated pretty much everything, now I can drink pretty much whatever.

Also, yeah, not drinking is an option, but if you want to do it for the social aspect/the effects, just know your limits.

keyvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When you turn 21 your alcohol receptors grow in, much like wisdom teeth.

How do you wind up throwing up after one mixed drink? Do you use a 44oz big gulp cup?

Seriously though. Tropical drinks based off of cocunut rum, sweet wines, sweet hard cider. Mike's hard lemonade. Nobody likes beer at first. you drink it because it is a way to chill and the taste grows on you. It helps if you don't start with pisswater like budweiser or coors. You settle for pisswater when nothing better is available.

I throw up if I smell bourbon, vodka, or tequila. These are all taste aversions learned in college.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Don't drink, or at least wait till you are 21, go to a bar, and have someone who knows what they are doing make you a drink.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I wouldn't bother. Alcohol isn't for everyone. Some people don't like drinking at all, while I get strange looks for drinking straight whiskey.

grapesoda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you're stuck on mixed drinks whipped cream vodka and orange juice barely tastes like alcohol to me. Don't worry about it too much though, people who do more than a few friendly jokes are probably people you don't want to be around.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Straight vodka is the only alcoholic beverage worth a damn, so don't even bother drinking any of the other crap.

Just do your thing without alcohol, and if the people you hang out with can't accept that, then fuck em' and find some new friends.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I'm 33 and I've never even tried any sort of alcohol. Just never had any desire to try any. I say if you don't want to drink, or have tried it and don't like it, then don't drink.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By NTM

@mattthadude:

If you don't like it, why the heck are you even trying to drink it? To be cool? :P If so, stop, that's dumb. I don't drink. I tried a few beers and what have you, but none tasted good to me; they all were pretty dull tasting, and drinks for me are about taste; if I can't acquire the taste quick, then I don't like it. That being said, even if I did like the taste of one, I still wouldn't drink. I just don't do that stuff. Furthermore, I don't know why you think you should like it, as if the age matters, that's not really how that works...

SneeryWall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SneeryWall

I have been drunk before, and it was great, but its very rare if that happens, because the taste of the drinks i have are too strong, and i either throw up or quit

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like alcohol and drink it very rarely (usually just at special events so as not to seem anti-social, especially when I know someone else is stressed about something and just wants to unwind). That said, the few drinks I have liked have usually had an overpowering flavor with the alcoholic taste only appearing afterwards (a couple ciders have stood out - but they basically just make me want to drink apple juice and ignore the alcoholic side). If you just want to drink something that you will enjoy, skip the alcohol; however, if you want to let loose a little (maybe get a bit tipsy with friends - I never do, but you might) then going for a drink with a strong base flavor that you can stand might allow you to get to that point with the least discomfort. Just remember though, if you drink strong fruity alcoholic drinks, you can easily lose track of how much you have drunk (and you could probably drink a lot in a single go - which is generally a bad idea).

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the surprisingly abolitionist tone of this thread. I don't drink either though it's a pretty basic decision for me, I'm perfectly content with my mental state and don't see any need to alter it intentionally.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By NTM

I am calling the 911!

You mean you're calling the police, or you're dialing 911.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I don't drink, but I had a friend with this same problem. She found a few really sweet drinks without much alcohol that she thought were okay, so she just drank those, and eventually that made the harder stuff a little more tolerable to her. Unless you don't want to. You don't have to drink.

Daze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am pretty sure the people the drink beer have to will themselves to drink it until they get accustomed to it. The main thing I drink (one of the very few) and actually like is a homemade plum liqueur with honey and walnut that some relatives overseas make. It goes down so well, tastes great that I would probably willing to pay $300+ for it.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35  Edited By Milkman

If you don't like, don't drink it. But I'll just say once you drink enough, the taste becomes kind of irrelevant. Or just try some fruity shit. There's plenty of drinks that you can make that don't taste like alcohol.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bourbon with 1 ice cube

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By pyrodactyl

I don't know where half the people in this thread live but where I'm from, most social gatherings you attend after (or even before) you're 18 involve alcohol. I'm not saying we're getting hammered all the time but people drink in social settings, that's a fact. So unless you want to be a social recluse or have to explain why you don't drink every 5 seconds you should get use to it.

If you're puking, you're drinking too much. Just start slow and don't go passed the super drunk line unless it's that kind of party. You'll get used to the taste, everyone hates alcohol at first, I hated beer when I started college, I got over it, everyone does. Now, I actually enjoy a good beer. People arguing against the taste of alcohol remind me of my cousin who can't eat anything but toast with peanut butter or fried chicken.

Open your horizons, alcohol really isn't that bad. Like everything else, drink with moderation.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Alcohol is an expensive diversion, if you don't like it, that's great news because that's more money for games!

There's no reason you should force yourself to like something that is that bad for you anyway.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Drink fruit juice instead of alcohol. It tastes a lot better and there are many different flavors. It's also more healthy and doesn't make you feel sick. If you want to know more about fruit juice just ask me, I'm an expert.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#40  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

I think it tastes like piss (specifically), so I don't drink it.

My body has several ways of making me feel sick, tired and confused already, so I don't need any stimulation for that part.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#41  Edited By Brendan

I will say that in case you're American, you've probably grown up largely on salty or sweet flavours so it's cool to try and glide into liking things that are bitter or oaky or etc. Not that alcohol is healthy for you or anything, I just think it's good life experience to expand the palette beyond the aforementioned processed food dominated flavours. Taste buds are more malleable than most people think.

That being said there's plenty of alcohol I don't like, but I've grown to really appreciate gin, especially with tonic/soda water and lime. I also like some craft beers, Chardonnay (white wine), and if I have a sweet tooth some cider. That's pretty much it for me, but I don't drink that much.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#42 gamer_152  Moderator

Just drink what you like dude, although I would recommend trying a range of alcoholic drinks before deciding they're not for you.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you're being given these drinks, there's probably a good chance there's way too much in them. Cause if you're in college or something, people aren't making these drinks for the taste, you know?

But seriously, don't drink because you think you have to because you're 20. That's a pretty slippery slope.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't drink. Eventually, when you're older and things beat you down, maybe there will be some use to the terrible cost and taste of a lot of booze, but until then, be glad you don't require alcohol to enjoy yourself and keep sane.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#45 fisk0  Moderator

I don't know where half the people in this thread live but where I'm from, most social gatherings you attend after (or even before) you're 18 involve alcohol. I'm not saying we're getting hammered all the time but people drink in social settings, that's a fact. So unless you want to be a social recluse or have to explain why you don't drink every 5 seconds you should get use to it.

I've been in plenty of gatherings where other people drink, but me not drinking has never caused an issue, just the occasional question if I want to taste some of it where I haven't had to do anything but to politely decline.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

@cale said:

If you want to know more about fruit juice just ask me, I'm an expert.

@cale....I think you have a fruit juice problem.

HeyGuys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most liquor just doesn't taste great, it's a fact of life. For cheap solutions I'd recommend screwdrivers (vodka & orange juice), Rum and Coke, or cranberry and vodka. Mixed drinks should be a good solution for you and you can tinker with the proportions until you find something that works. Avoid Tequila at all costs if you're sensitive to the taste of alcohol.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I remember I had my first taste when I was 12 or 11, maybe younger. My dad was an alcoholic and he would give me sips of it. I hated the taste I couldn't really get into it. Now whine coolers on the other hand were nice. You can still taste the alcohol, but it has a sweet taste to it aswell.

Though still I wouldn't recommend drinking in general, its just not give for your health. Now you could try Hyphy Mud...

Loading Video...

bushpusherr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Cider. I hate the taste of beer, and there are a few mixed drinks I can enjoy, but after getting into hard ciders it's pretty much become my exclusive for consuming alcohol. Angry Orchard is my go-to, but Woodchucks are good too. It's also the only type of alcohol that I enjoy drinking for it's own sake, and not just to get drunk.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

Loading Video...