I'm moving, and I dunno what to do with all my...stuff

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Hey duders!

So, in the next...4/5 months I'm gonna be moving. And I don't mean down the road, or to the next city. I mean I'm moving from the rural parts of the UK to...the rural parts of Japan (Most likely)

I'm just not sure what to do with like...all my stuff. Like, I have a lot of stuff. TOO much stuff I'd argue. Now, I took this apartment over from my dad, and I'd say...maybe 60-75% of the stuff in here is still his that I took over. And you'd better believe, it's just a load of...stuff.

But it's like...what do I do with it all? I'm planning to ship over...basically nothing. Outside of my essentials, I'm taking the Switch, my SNES Classic, iPad, Kindle and I'm gonna buy a small £400-500 laptop to take with me just to do work/occasional netflixing and stuff on.

When I think about the kinda stuff I need to get rid of, I'm talking like:

Dining Table and chairs

Display cabinet

Ottoman

TV

Bed

Full size mirror

Computer desk and chair

Nevermind all the absolute SHITE I have stored underneath the bed. I mean for crying out loud, there's Bruce Lee VHS tapes under there, and an Atari 2600 with Fenix!

What do you...do, when you're moving your entire life across the planet? How do you "deep clean" a place that's been lived in for over ten years? How do you get rid of abject shite?

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

You could reach out to charity services and tell them what you're doing. Places like Oxfam who have the usual clothing donations but they also usually have bigger facilities that will take in big furniture and electronics. All the big items you mentioned are things a charity like them or others should take as they can be used to help families and individuals who may move into accomodations but not be able to furnish them.

Smaller items like VHS tapes or books, ask if they want them as donations. Ask libraries too. If not recycle them as best you can.

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, there's lots of places that'll take furniture to pass on to needy families and such, though you might have to do some research as to what places do so in your area. Can't imagine anyone's gonna want VHS' but might as well check the charity shops for the rest, they'll take the clothes, toys/games and appliances most of the time.

Anything that won't get taken by charity I'd dump at the council tip, I chuck a whole bunch of shit down there when I have a clear-out. Obviously not much of this is likely to be an option for a while yet, I know the tips are closed.

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If your furniture is in decent shape and you'd like to try and get a few more £ to help with the move, you could always try listing stuff on Gumtree?

I think your biggest problem right now is going to be... Well, the state of the world at the minute. No one is going to be travelling to buy your desk etc.

Good luck trying to move across the world in 4 months time. That's an uncertain situation, to say the least!

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Charity shops if you can't sell it on. One of the maddest times of my life was watching my parents trying to downscale from a four bedroom house into a two bedroom bungalow.

It taught me a lesson: Always look at your stuff as disposable.