I'm not going to prom, is there something wrong with me?

• 126 results
RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RE_Player1

So I've decided not to go to my prom. I was debating it for months but finally decided not to go. I don't hate high school but I certainly don't like it either. A cute girl even asked me to be her date but I declined. This is my last year and I can't wait to leave and go to university. Is there something wrong with my attitude? All my friends say I'm crazy because prom is once in a lifetime but a lot of things are once in a lifetime... like death :P. And this decision is final. I've already made other plans during that week I just wanted to post this topic to see if anyone thinks I'm crazy. So what do you think? 

EDIT:  
 - I made this topic 8 months ago. 
- At the time I thought it would be fun little prom/school topic for the off topic forums 
- The cute girl was my long time friend, still is, and just wanted to go with a friend. She found someone else relatively quickly and no feelings were hurt. 

People this topic was buried for a reason... it's 8 months old. I haven't thought about high school in so long :P     

nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By nail1080

well you proabably have no friends so I gues you shouldn't go. And the cute girl thing is either a lie or you're gay?

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By RE_Player1
@nail1080: lol if I was lying I would have said "dudezzz this hot chick, like a 10, asked me out and I said no way I'm dating a supermodel already" I've known this girl since elementary school and she's just cute to me
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By zeforgotten

I find nothing wrong with that. 
I would trade a Prom for a real party, or just a stroll through the city, any day.

hwy_61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By hwy_61

rofl

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

No, there is nothing wrong with it. 

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By rentfn

Prom is a bit over rated. It's kinda fun to see all your friends dress up, It was the first formal event of my life. But it lasts way too long. Your not missing much.

Aeterna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Aeterna

We don't have a "prom" as you know it in the US but... I didn't go. Simply don't care for such stuff myself.

Dom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Dom

you can't wait to go to University?! dude what's wrong with you :P

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By nanikore

YOU ARE A DORK WITH PIMPLES ON YOUR FACE

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Brians
@RE_Player92: NO
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ryanwho

There's nothing wrong about not going, but acting like you turned down the prom queen just makes you seem kind of silly. You couldn't get a date and you're not going. Fine, happens to a lot of guys. Funnel that frustration into academics and become one of those rich nerds with big guns.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HandsomeDead

I never went to mine but I feel kind of bad about it these days.

Valco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Valco

Personally, I reckon your going to regret that decision
Avatar image for origina1penguin
Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Origina1Penguin

I went to Junior prom but not Senior. You have to think, it is a dance organized by the school. Even if the students supposedly organize it, everything must be approved. After prom was just as bad. I felt like it was made for elementary school students. Nothing but kiddy music, childish games, and shitty food. 

If a cute girl asked you out though, you should at least propose a date other than prom back to her.

ThePaleKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ThePaleKing

I didn't go to prom or graduation. And I turned out juuuuuuust fiiiiiiiiiiiiiine. 

fuzzy510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By fuzzy510

I wouldn't specifically say there's something wrong with you, but I think you're making a mistake.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RE_Player1
@Origina1Penguin: Don't get me wrong I didn't turn this girl down I just said I'm not going to prom maybe we can do something else
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By zeforgotten
@ryanwho said:
" There's nothing wrong about not going, but acting like you turned down the prom queen just makes you seem kind of silly. You couldn't get a date and you're not going. Fine, happens to a lot of guys. Funnel that frustration into academics and become one of those rich nerds with big guns. "
What prom queen are you talking about? 
All I saw was "cute girl" :( 
Did I miss something?
Turtlemayor333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Turtlemayor333

You probably aren't going to find the most typical responses here at Giant Bomb as opposed to, well, a lot of places. But I never went to prom. No date and after a separate school banquet (more importantly, free chicken) the week before so I just wasn't interested. It's not for everyone. Half of the people I talked to thought it was incredible and the other half wish they never stepped in the door, so don't regret anything.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Origina1Penguin
@RE_Player92: Well then, right on. I'd say there is nothing wrong with you at all.
fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By fwylo
@RE_Player92:  I enjoyed mine, but I wouldn't have been pissed if I had missed it.  I know alot of people that didn't go.  You're totally fine.
Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Godwind

Never went to my prom.  I don't regret it, but only because my personality allows me to do so.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

I never went to prom as it was completely stupid and pointless just like any other school related function, but still had a great time at our anti prom party that was unsupervised and had booze. Of course if you are one of those people that will continue to live in a high school state of mind for the rest of their lives and look back on not going to prom as something that made them less of a person, then there is something more to worry about. 

So yeah, you're not the only one who never went to prom if you don't go. I have no regrets and still live a perfectly normal life.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By mazik765
@RE_Player92 said:
All my friends say I'm crazy because prom is once in a lifetime but a lot of things are once in a lifetime... like death :P.
I know someone who was clinically declared dead before being resuscitated...just sayin..
RedneckedCrake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By RedneckedCrake

I think it was the wrong decision to turn that girl down. The least you could have done is take her and let her have a good time, instead of being a total social outcast about it. However, it was your choice and that's just my opinion. You did what you felt was right. 

I never went to my senior prom. My parents begged me to go so they could have pictures and memories and I just didn't care enough. I got so sick of high school, with all the stupid kids thinking they're jaded with all these life experiences, when in reality they know nothing about life. Everyone is so eager to get to university, they don't even realize that high school are some of the easiest years of their life. Plus my school was just chocked full of fucking douchebags. We had a bomb threat and everyone was out on the football fields and I just remembered looking around with a few of my buds and saying "holy shit, this school has so many douchebags." 

But yeah, I always thought a lot of things related to high school were a joke and I finished #2 in my class, so you definitely shouldn't feel bad about skipping out on something as trivial as prom.

arkasai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By arkasai

People like to make a big deal out of those things, perhaps it's all the teen movies that've built up this fantasy of prom being 'the' social event where everyone loses their virginity and party's with their high school friends for the last time.  I went to my senior prom, but honestly I don't remember it at all.

Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By Forever

I went last year and im going again this year. It fun to dress up and everything but is it worth all the money and hassle idk... either way its an experience, and the place we got to go to last year was pretty cool.

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Hot_Karl

Wait, you denied a cute girl? Man, get up on that. Even if prom isn't your thing and you find yourself wanting to do something else, you probably should've asked her out on a date to make up for it or something. I'm going around, trying to chase tail, and you have girls asking YOU out, there's something wrong there.

anarchyzombie9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By anarchyzombie9

I've decided I'm only going if I have a date. So, I'm probably not going.

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#31  Edited By Chris2KLee

I wouldn't worry too much. If you feel cool with it, then there should be no problem. For some people it's a big thing, and they should enjoy it, but if you don't find it interesting skip out on it. I didn't find it particularly interesting so I passed. I have no regrets.

sterbacblu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By sterbacblu
@wolf_blitzer85 said:
" I never went to prom as it was completely stupid and pointless just like any other school related function, but still had a great time at our anti prom party that was unsupervised and had booze.  

This.
Leviticus128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#33  Edited By Leviticus128

There's nothing wrong with you but my prom was an absoloutly amazing night where everyone was just having a laugh and it's an excuse to wear a nice suit and ride in a limo on your way to a party that most of the people you know will be at. It's a pretty awesome feeling :)

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By RE_Player1

Holy crap someone actually dug this topic up :P If anyone wants to know I didn't feel like I missed anything and so far any day of college is way better than the greatest days of high school :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel bad for the girl. 
She nutted up and asked you to go to the prom, cause she obviously thought it'd be fun and you shot her down for no good reason at all. 
Did you have anything especially important to do that evening than to take the stance that "prom is lame". 
Hell, you might've even enjoyed yourself. 

I hope somebody took her and she had a good time, you dick

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#36  Edited By citizenkane

I didn't go to prom either.  My friends and I just hang out together instead, going to a movie and then having a video game party.

Nobody cares about prom even just a year after it happens.  Don't be hard on yourself.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By PeasantAbuse

I'm not going because I can't get a cute date, I'm ugly and have too high of standards.
jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By jkz
@RE_Player92 said:
" Holy crap someone actually dug this topic up :P If anyone wants to know I didn't feel like I missed anything and so far any day of college is way better than the greatest days of high school :P "
I was going to say; I assumed you were well into college. This shit is trivial at that point. 

Stop the thread necromancy people.
Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#39  Edited By Brendan

This thread has become a running interactive diary of RE_Player92's life, since the useful time for the OP has long since passed. 

So how's your university life treating you?
JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By JerichoBlyth

I decided against going to my Secondary school prom and declined an offer from a girl to be her date..........7 years later, I work in Asda behind a music, games and video desk and the girl who asked me to go with her is a director for the BBC.

In short - just go - it'll be a blast you retarded giraffe.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By toowalrus

I didn't go to prom, but I did go drinking ewith my friends that night. I never regreted that decision.

Avatar image for deactivated-5de441812a230
deactivated-5de441812a230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

An awkward shoe shuffler in a high school auditorium DJ'd by a batmitzvah bum and chaperoned by your home ec teacher IS a once in a lifetime experience, but that's only a good thing if your life is shitty and boring. If you don't want to go, don't go! and don't feel bad for not going!  

That said, if a cute girl asked you out, you should consider it. Even if she's shitty and boring, you can at least use that 'once in a lifetime' line to get you some action traction. 

edit: just noticed how long ago the original post was. NEVER MIND

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

You aren't crazy. Mine was terrible, I wish I didn't go. Terrible music, full of people I hate, and worst of all no alcohol. Really lame.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#44  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Yeah, I'm not going to go to the prom that's going to be later this year. As I'm finishing secondary school, I never want to recall this awful experience ever again. I opted out of purchasing the seniors album and the only thing that I want to take out of my 5 years there is the pieces of paper that tell me I survived.

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By stinky

haha something wrong with you? 
i hate adult created and sanctioned events. fuck do something yourself and spend your time more wisely with things that are important to you. 
in short, dont let others tell you what is "cool" or "important."

whats cool in high school are some of the most lame and retarded things ever, be glad you are wanting to go to university, means your brain is growing. 

TwilitEnd656

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By TwilitEnd656

To be honest, for my graduating year I found prom to be completely overblown. From all the things the other students were saying before and after it happened, I realized it really wasn't much different from it just being a big party. I did go to the after prom though, that was fun.

You're not crazy, you're just part of the percentage of people who decided not to go to prom.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47  Edited By myke_tuna

I didn't go to mine either and hearing about what went on and whatnot, it sounded kind of boring. It's like the last "party" before college, but really people just have their own. And those are much better and I went to some of those. Prom's thing is just the formality of it. Suits and dresses and whatnot. I'm a "Casual Friday EVERY day" kind of guy, so fuck that.

joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By joeybagad0nutz

I didn't go. Could've. I had a date but decided I didn't want too.
TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By TheFreeMan

I went, by the actual event of prom was basically just dinner and dance that was a couple of hours and the rest of the night was the grad party. I went in a shared rented limo with a bunch of friends and drove around blasting music, going to the lake at night and wandering around and then after prom went to the grad party and basically walked around talking to people that I probably wasn't ever going to see again while eating absurd amounts of pizza. 

Missing prom isn't something to stress about, but I feel that it's something worth going to, even if it's shitty. Could be the only time you have a legitimate excuse to wear a tuxedo and that ain't half bad. 

hahahaha old thread.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Spoonman671

I didn't go, and I'm awesome.