Improve-a-thon

• 69 results
paulwgraham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hello! I think we should make July an Improve-a-thon. What's an Improve-a-thon? Well, you know all those things you tell yourself that you'll get to someday? Today is that day. For every day in July try and do one of those things that you've been putting off. They don't have to be big things. If fact the smaller tasks are probably better. So take some time and set that clock on the microwave, dust off that shelf with the cable box on it, start watching that show you've meant to check out. And once you do come back here and post about it.

paulwgraham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Today I started reading Harry Potter for the first time.

Bent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Today I went around my house and made it so all the slots on the screws on the light switches point the same way.

paulwgraham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bent: That's amazing!!! That is exactly the kind of thing I wanted the Improve-a-thon to be about.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I've been thinking about getting into the eBay game, selling off my old games that are just sitting there, then flipping the money on slightly more valuable games, etc. and so on. Might just take that excuse to do it this month.

paulwgraham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shagge: Every journey begins with a single step. Maybe create an eBay account or research the value of one of the games you have. It's all about the first simple step. You got this duder.

And keep us posted!

insomniak08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I did a ten minute stretch routine followed by a 20 minute workout this morning. Also so far no alcohol (did have a smoke though). Living a healthy lifestyle is something I have struggled with my entire adult life so I am working to change that. I also assembled 2 shelving units that have been sitting in the basement for over a week.

paulwgraham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By paulwgraham

@insomniak08: That's Awesome! Keep it up! Before you know it this new exercise thing will become routine and then routine will become habit.

And soon you'll be carrying those bookshelves around with one over each shoulder :)

SolomonsKey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After ten years of living here I finally set the clock on my stove.

paulwgraham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@solomonskey: Well, they say there is no time like the present and now you know what time that is.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By cikame

I stopped eating cake as part of my lunch, which i could only start doing once i'd eaten the last of the cake.

paulwgraham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cikame: The works too! Look at it this way: you've eaten the last of the last cake.

TronCycle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TronCycle

@solomonskey: Pffft. I just set the clock on my stove *and* the clock on my microwave.

SolomonsKey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@troncycle: I prefer to think that it's not a stove with a built-in clock but instead that it's a clock with a cook food feature.

paulwgraham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@troncycle: Now you'll never miss your appointment in flavortown.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#17  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I'd love to clear out rocks from my garden beds for next spring. I only do a few every day, and I'd like to bump that up a bit through July. Kinda getting into gardening, insofar as a morbidly obese blind man with a black thumb can get around a garden.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#18 sweep  Moderator

I've been doing a lot of sketching/drawing, and I'm also currently reading the Dungeon Masters Guide with the intention of running my first campaign in the near future. The end goal is to be able to design/draw my own characters for the campaign. I bought a new small wacom tablet (they're surprisingly affordable now) so that I can practice in between meetings at my desk.

Art is one of those weird things that people assume is down to natural ability but it's not. Art is like math. If you improve your understanding of the core concepts and principles, practice techniques regularly, and learn from good teachers (there's loads of great tutorials free on youtube), anyone can do it.

paulwgraham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sparky_buzzsaw: Even the mighty Grand Canyon started as a simple stream running across some flat ground. You got this duder! Those rocks don't stand a chance!

And maybe if you dig up enough rocks you'll have enough for a sweet bonus rock garden. That means TWO gardens for the price of one. Think of the savings!

crzylikefox13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tore up almost my entire guest bath and single-handedly (and very slowly) replaced everything from the floor up. It was long process since I'd never done most of the things before (installing new flooring by myself can't be that hard?) or they were large things that I chipped away at (1980's vanities, while cheap, are fairly solidly built). I just finished hooking up the plumbing last weekend and boy did it feel great. There are a few small things left to do, but they're nice to haves that I can get in when I want.

I also finally befriended some of my neighbors and we've been trying to have neighborhood bbqs/hang outs once a month.

paulwgraham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sweep: That's really cool! Maybe at the end of July you could post a drawing from the beginning of the month next to a drawing from the end of the month like a before and after kind of thing. Or maybe just post a drawing every day to show your progress.

Either way keep this up and before you know it you'll be sketching a gorgon with one hand a filing a TPS report with the other.

kaungo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is great!

Today, I finally fixed my bed slats from falling off the rail. I have been dealing with this for months but went ahead and table sawed 1/2" strip of wood to prevent the slats from lateral movements.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By bybeach

I am in the process of degreasing/deslime-ing my Smoky Joe charcoal grill, that I must have had at least Twelve-Fifteen years.

Lots of Easy-Off grill cleaner, a scraper, and elbow grease.

So proud...

paulwgraham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kaungo: Sweet bed duder! It's amazing how much frustration we can get used to putting up with because we keep putting off doing the fix. It's also amazing how satisfying it can be to finally fix the issue and to know that you just made your life that much better.

Great job!

paulwgraham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bybeach: Nice! I'm sure once you're done your Smoky Joe will be the Smokiest Joe in town!

Plus, being able to bust out a impromptu BBQ at a moments notice is like a super power.

Great work!

paulwgraham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crzylikefox13: Wow! That's a lot of work! Just think of how great that first bubble bath will feel knowing that you made it happen through dedication and hard work.

punisherkaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Not sure if this fits but....I've gotten really into Legos again. Wanted something fun and relaxing to do at home besides just playing video games all the time

paulwgraham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punisherkaos: Heck yeah it fits! It fits just like one precisely manufactured premium plastic building block into another!

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shagge: Every journey begins with a single step. Maybe create an eBay account or research the value of one of the games you have. It's all about the first simple step. You got this duder.

And keep us posted!

Will do! I was inspired by a collector on Youtube that took something like $10 worth of common games and kept flipping the money on eBay, I think the latest update has him at a smallish but decently valuable classic Nintendo collection and a ~300 dollar budget to keep flipping with. Granted, the guy's a pro, I don't expect to replicate his success, but the attempt will be fun and I'll get rid of some dust-collectors while I'm at it, haha.

crzylikefox13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punisherkaos: Nice. Any thing in particular or whatever fits the mood?

punisherkaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@crzylikefox13: I ended up getting most of the overwatch sets and will eventually get all of them. Outside of that tho is a few star wars sets, some excellent sets in the ideas line, and I just started my first moduler building.

paulwgraham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By paulwgraham

July 2: Today I organized all of the random files and icons on my desktop.

The improve-a-thon lasts for all of July and I'm gonna try and find something to accomplish every day.

Crashpad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This morning I updated my router and my pi-hole. I've been putting it off but there have been some security patches released that seem important.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've started to learn how to work on cars, although beginning the journey on an Italian may have not been ideal.

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I threw away all my socks with holes in and started working on a small game project again today, which is a whole lot more than I've accomplished these past 3 months.

paulwgraham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crashpad: Nice! You, my duder, are a good citizen of the net. If everyone was patched up like you DDOSes, Spam, identity theft would all significantly reduced. Good on ya!

paulwgraham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ghost_cat: Sweet! That definitely sounds both fun and practical! In my limited experience a lot of working on cars consists of wondering where I put the !@#$%^& 10mm socket.

paulwgraham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@someoneproud: Awesome! There is something foundational about putting on a good pair of socks. It can help set the tone for the whole day. If I ever got ballin outta control money one of the first things I'd buy is 365 pairs of socks. Just imagine putting on a fresh pair every day.

paulwgraham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

July 3: Today I organised all of the cables behind my desk.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sat down today with a cup of coffee and continued to write on my novel. Still only a few pages into the first chapter on this first draft, but I'm excited to see where this goes.

paulwgraham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By paulwgraham

@pezen:

"As the sun dropped below the horizon the killer came up behind the train conductor and leveled his gun taking careful aim. However, being from France the killer didn't realize two important things: One, it was the Fourth Of July; Two, he was standing over a firework mortar."

Writing a novel is seriously cool! Way to go! I hope you and everyone else in this thread doing projects post updates so we can see how it's going and cheer you along!

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paulwgraham: I find your unfettered ambition and grand vision both awe inspiring and humbling sir. I never thought to one day achieve the lofty goal of owning ~£400 worth of socks.

You have sparked a fire in me that I can bring myself to that bright future and dare to dream again!

paulwgraham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@someoneproud: I believe in you! I think that someday you will stand upon a mountain of socks looking down at all you have accomplished with pride and awe.

captaintaffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By captaintaffy

When I was a kid I was super into video games. When I learned that computers had something to do with how they are made I became interested in them too. Now that I've grown up I've had a career as a software developer but I still don't know anything about how games are made. I never stopped wanting to learn. I just somehow never got around to it. So inspired by this thread and the unexpected free time I suddenly have on my hands I decided that I'm going give it a shot. I'm going to learn how to make a basic video game.

I started a YouTube channel to document my progress. You can find it here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLReW5Z8kzHwa2kKdYKb4I_gMKkRBlqyH8

I'm nervous that I won't be able to figure it out. And I'm super nervous about YouTube. But I figure I why not and if not now then when?

captaintaffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By captaintaffy
paulwgraham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By paulwgraham

July 4: Today I learned to play the board game Scythe.

Edit: @captaintaffy Of course I did duder! We're all in this together! Keep us posted on your progress!

paulwgraham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

July 5: Today I cleaned that weird shelf over the clothes in my closet. Found a bunch of stuff I had forgotten about including some longer cables I could use.