In a 12 items or fewer checkout line at the grocery store, how many additional item is okay?

• 69 results
liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Poll In a 12 items or fewer checkout line at the grocery store, how many additional item is okay? (504 votes)

None, 12 OR fewer 72%
13 items total is ok 4%
14 items total is ok 6%
15 items total is ok 11%
16 items total is ok 1%
17 items total is ok 0%
18 items total is ok 0%
19 items total is ok 0%
20 items total is ok 1%
I don't mind, any amount is fine 2%
It seems ok when I go over but feels like a crime when others do it 2%

Let's assume it's regular shopping hours and the store is not dead.

• 
Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Justin258

None.

It's 12 items or fewer.

"But I only have 13" sounds fine, but that turns into "I only have 14, I only have 15, I only have 20" and it's best just to avoid that altogether.

Aside: Have never been a grocery store clerk. People should still pay attention to signs.

BaconHound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Why is this even a question? If you have additional items, go to another lane.

Rahf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

15 items that can be quickly scanned. It shouldn't be a bunch of stuff that hassles the cashier.

If it's a self-checkout the rules of the jungle apply. Anarchy reigns. No guns.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 bigsocrates  Online

The only time when taking 13 or more items into the express lane is okay is if A) it was by accident or B) the store is empty and the lane is empty (but the other lanes have a person in them). In the second scenario you should also ask the cashier.

Otherwise you're basically just taking advantage and acting like the rules don't apply to you. People who intentionally go with a 13th item in a busy store are jerks and free riders.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Eh, the twelve items sign is more of a suggestion. I really see it as a , "do you have a families worth of groceries, then you don't belong here.... But if all your product fits in a basket instead of a cart, then you are good."

GundamGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By GundamGuru

A handful over is alright. Running a full buggy through isn't. Spirit of the law is be quick. If you're going over it better just be things the cashier can scan and not tons of produce and stuff.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

ZERO YOU SAVAGES.

BoccKob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most of the time, the cashier can't actually tell you to get out of line for having too many items, so it depends on how much of a horrible asshole you want to be to the people behind you.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Franstone

Zero, and I'll fuckin call you out for it. hahah
Off subject but how about those people that are in line in front of you then all of a sudden their partner shows up with an additional basket/carriage and think it's cool to cut you because their partner was in line ahead of you. You soulless devils will also be called the fuck out for everyone to hear. : )

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

None. It's twelve or fewer, not thirteen. It's rude.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

If somebody thought they had 12 items but ended up having a couple of extra, I dunno, packets of taco seasoning or something, I don't think it's worth getting upset over.

But hey, I compulsively count my items while I'm in line so that I don't go over. I just understand that sometimes people make mistakes.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I say none, but I also can't count too many times I've been in the supermarket for more than 12 items, either. I do a lot of eating out and tend to only go shopping for a single specific recipe that'll last me 2-4 days depending on the size of it or a couple 6 packs of beer so I don't often have more than 7 or 8 items in mind.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@rahf said:

15 items that can be quickly scanned. It shouldn't be a bunch of stuff that hassles the cashier.

Everyone knows that self-checkout is slappers only. Come on, duder.

Anyway, I'd like to think that up to 15 is okay, as long as they're small items, like others have said. But I do agree that it's a slippery slope. I fucking hate seeing people who obviously have way more than that standing in those lines. I generally try to use self-checkout whenever I can due to not wanting to ever interact with other people.

spamfromthecan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Around here we have 15 or fewer. Never heard of a 12 or fewer. And at my local Super 1 Foods, the gal that hands that battle station counts your items before she rings them up. If you have more than 15 she tells you to pack it up and move to another line. She is my hero.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It doesn't matter that much. It's one of those "you'll know if it's too much" situations. I'm not going to forgo buying salt, olive oil and a block of cheese so that I have 12 things in my basket rather than 15. Just don't be a dick, as with so many things in life.

MOAB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"In a 12 items or fewer checkout line at the grocery store, how many additional item is okay?"

hmm

Rahf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rahf said:

Everyone knows that self-checkout is slappers only. Come on, duder.

Anyway, I'd like to think that up to 15 is okay, as long as they're small items, like others have said. But I do agree that it's a slippery slope. I fucking hate seeing people who obviously have way more than that standing in those lines. I generally try to use self-checkout whenever I can due to not wanting to ever interact with other people.

Damnit. Damnit! I've had Gabe Newell's phone number on speed dial, in case I needed a stabbing tool, and you're telling me that was for nothing? Aaaaah! What is this world, man!?

Interacting with people is awesome. Making people smile through sheer force of will and an ocean of charisma is also awesome. We're all awesome.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#19  Edited By monkeyking1969

I had a guy some in behind me as I was checking out and he asked the cashier, "Is it okay if I have 14 items?"

And, the cashier said exactly what they should have said, "Nope. If YOU admit you have more items than the posted rules I cannot say it is okay ['you idiot'.]"

I said, "you don't ask for permission; you ask for forgiveness."

That my point of view, if you have less than 14 items just get in line; but only if you feel the items will be hard to count. Sometimes even with twelve items I just get in the normal line because it all bulky, oddly shaped shit.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zero you horrible, horrible human beings

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

The exact number doesn't really matter all that much to me as long as the express lane is treated as an express lane and moves as quickly as possible.

I'd say the general rule of thumb is that if you can carry your items in your hands or a basket, you can use the express lane. If you have more than that, you need to wait in a different line.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

How much can you go over the designated speed limit? I mean 40 is just a suggestion and if it's late at night it's totally fine to go 80 on a 40 road cause there are no cars right?

What are rules anyway..

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Shindig

There's only one answer. Society needs limits. No more Wynona Ryders.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Poll question should be: how much of a burden can I be to my fellow shoppers for my own selfish gains? Zero. And I willshank you in the parking lot so best watch your back.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By nightriff

No more that 15 items.

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By hans_maulwurf

This topic probably technically isn't breaking rule 5 of the community rules, but it really should.

mikewhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like one or two is acceptable, if you counted wrong or something. But I say none you monsters.

Fezrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Fezrock

I say zero; however, I believe that multiples of the exact same item only count once, within reason. So if you have two rockstar lemonade energy drinks, that only counts as one item. Reason being, the second drink doesn't even need to be scanned, the first one can be scanned a second time basically immediately.

Also, stuff that needs to be weighed, or have a quantity typed (e.g. a bag of apples) should count double because of how much time they take.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

12 items or fewer...

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

20 items since I'm only familiar with a 20 items or less sign.

Avatar image for deactivated-633c70ff026e8
deactivated-633c70ff026e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

12 or less, I hate it when people don't read, it's an express lane for a reason.

Luchalma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Luchalma

I feel it's less about a number, and is more about the spirit of an "express" checkout. I'd rather be behind a bloke with 20 boxes of Mac n Cheese than some goody two shoes with a bag of dog food, a lamp, two bananas, and a vaccuum because it's "less than twelve haha".

noboners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By noboners

I work at a grocery store and have coworkers who hate working the express lanes because nobody abides by the fucking rules. It's whatever the signs say. If 13 was OK, it would say 13 or less. That being said, weighted items count as 1 item. Doesn't matter how many bananas you're getting, it's one group of bananas.*

I've also seen "12ish items or less" at other Whole Foods and that just seems like opening a whole other can of worms. I can't imagine the amount of people who go through saying "20 is like 12ish, right?"

*imo

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who is even counting?

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can read and I can count. No real reason why I'd ever go in that lane with more than 12 and my life isn't so hectic that I can't sit in the regular lane for a few extra minutes.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

None. People that go into any "X limit of below" lanes with over the limit are true fucking scum.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#37  Edited By monkeyking1969

Who here thinks a cashier can scan nine different brands of "50 lbs sacks" of dog food faster that 15 cans of different beans? How about the green produce bags with twelve different kinds of apples vs twenty cups of yogurt?

Anyone? Anyone....?

No, the express lane is about express not about recommended numbers. If you can sack-up and pay for your items efficiently than you belong in the express line.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By xanadu

In high school I was a cashier at the local grocery store so let me have the final word when I say: If you come up into my express line with even 1 more item than allowed I will make sure you never do that again by plotting all the ways Im going to kill you with the items you purchased in my head while at the same time delivering excellent customer service with a smile, making sure you found everything alright, and telling you to have a pleasant day as you leave...I hated that job.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As many as you can fit in the allotted number of bags, assuming it's self serve. Size of shit is actually more important than number of things. If it's a Cashier lane then don't go over.

azulot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OK. My mom is a cashier at safeway. ~15 is okay IF you cannot tell, and it's not extremely busy (also, if you are nice). Additionally, some cashiers will wave you over, especially if you can fit all items in a handheld basket. This is my reference. If you are self checkout, you have free reign unless you are grossly over limit.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You shouldn't be over whatever limit they post, but you're also a jerk if you care if someone else is over. No one counts their items before they get in line and if you notice you're a few over when they get rang up, you already feel bad. Someone in front of you in line accidentally having 13 should have zero impact on your life.

fatalbanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By fatalbanana

12 or less, any more then you're a monster.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#43  Edited By Tom_omb

NONE! I'll go as far to say if you have to count you don't belong there. The signs are generous by saying "12 items or less," but I will personally judge you if you bring 7 items into that line.

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Two or three small things is all.

Luchalma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tom_omb: With people like you in the world, I just assume I'm being judged all the time, for everything. So does it matter if I have 7 or 17?

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By frytup

I have to admit I never actually count my items, but if what I've got fits into the standard grocery store hand basket without overflowing, I don't feel bad about going through the quick check line.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If youre going to break rules, why not just cut in line on other counters?

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

If it's illegal to murder anyone, how many people can you kill and have it be okay?

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By TravisRex

28% of people are monsters

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty sure the answer is in the name of the lane.