Indie Game : The Movie - Thoughts and Praise

Avatar image for doombreed--defunct
Doombreed--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I wanted to take a moment and share how I felt after just watching Indie Game: The Movie. Let my first few words be, if you have not seen this film yet, you need to stop reading my words and just go watch it as soon as you can.

Indie Movie is a heart warming documentary about a small handful of developers that throw themselves into the creations they work on. The games that the developers are working on impact the lives of not only themselves, but of their families, friends, and millions of players around the world. The film tracks the development of Super Meat Boy, Braid, and Fez and provides insight into what the developers go through to bring this creations to life. The best part of the movie is that the story doesn't end when the movie does. A simple Google search will reveal the success and determination of the indie scene. It also points the way to a super bright future for game development.

I witnessed the indie game scene spring up around me a few years ago with the very titles in this documentary, but somehow I missed the release of this documentary until just now. I caught the film on Netflix, and was able to watch it in high definition. It should be noted that the production values of this film are simply stunning. The images presented are all crystal clear, and the sound keeps step. The production team even go so far as to incorporate small details that are integrated along with the film that I won't spoil here.

If you have any interest in how games are made, or any of the titles listed above, you owe it to yourself to spend some time with this film. The film is available in a variety of different formats, channels, and venues. The music that plays through the ending credits alone was enough to elicit a strong emotional response from me. There is something to be said for that.

Avatar image for doombreed--defunct
Doombreed--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wanted to take a moment and share how I felt after just watching Indie Game: The Movie. Let my first few words be, if you have not seen this film yet, you need to stop reading my words and just go watch it as soon as you can.

Indie Movie is a heart warming documentary about a small handful of developers that throw themselves into the creations they work on. The games that the developers are working on impact the lives of not only themselves, but of their families, friends, and millions of players around the world. The film tracks the development of Super Meat Boy, Braid, and Fez and provides insight into what the developers go through to bring this creations to life. The best part of the movie is that the story doesn't end when the movie does. A simple Google search will reveal the success and determination of the indie scene. It also points the way to a super bright future for game development.

I witnessed the indie game scene spring up around me a few years ago with the very titles in this documentary, but somehow I missed the release of this documentary until just now. I caught the film on Netflix, and was able to watch it in high definition. It should be noted that the production values of this film are simply stunning. The images presented are all crystal clear, and the sound keeps step. The production team even go so far as to incorporate small details that are integrated along with the film that I won't spoil here.

If you have any interest in how games are made, or any of the titles listed above, you owe it to yourself to spend some time with this film. The film is available in a variety of different formats, channels, and venues. The music that plays through the ending credits alone was enough to elicit a strong emotional response from me. There is something to be said for that.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JasonR86

It was a good movie. Phil Fish looks like big, hot pile of anxiety.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By breadfan

I watched it more because I find the creative process interesting, not because I was a fan of indie games. But after watching this movie I gained an appreciation for the genre.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By nightriff

Yup, it was a great watch.

Xeirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Xeirus

I'm shocked you hadn't watched it sooner as they've talked about it on the bombcast before.

I watched it with my roommates, it's exactly what makes me glad I never followed through on making games, that shit is stressful as fuck. It's also pretty sad how far a lot of them get to the breaking point, like talks of suicide and everything... that's some raw shit.

I agree, very well made and worth anyones time just to see how these things work.

Synaptic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Synaptic

@Xeirus: Yeah, that was surprising to me as well, they often seemed like they were hanging on by a thread...

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By EVO

As someone studying games design I thought it was really inspirational, I just wish they covered more indie devs.