Informative Weaponry Documentary Recommendations

MeanrockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for informative videos concerning weaponry. I've found that a lot of documentaries concerning weapons have an unhealthy obsession with emphasizing the "cool" factor to the detriment of the information provided. Some examples are "Lock N' Load with R. Lee Ermey" and the FPSRussia YouTube show, they're filled with emotive language and personal opinions on the devices in question. They place a premium on the excitement associated with these devices and the presenters are often gratingly over the top. It seems like everyone who makes these things is the kind of person who would have a confederate flag hanging in their living room.

If anyone knows any documentaries that have attitude similar to the "How It's Made" series I'd love to know about them.

razkazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

As someone who never wants to see a gun in real life but loves them in movies, games, and comics, I found the Military Channel's "Ultimate Weapons" series entertaining and informative, and it's on Netflix.

ltsmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll second LifeSizePotato and add Hickok45:

Loading Video...

He's pretty laid-back and has a good sense of humor. "Life is good."

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Just watch the Military Channel, 90% of it is about guns.

MeanrockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems like the written word will remain the best source of information, but thank you for your suggestions, I'll check them out.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

I follow a youtube channel called Forgotten Weapons. It's not exactly a "how it's made" type of channel but it covers obscure weapons and other artifacts and their history. It sheds an interesting light on weapon manufacturing history.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By joshwent

@meanrockd: I'm pretty sure the weaponry you're talking about is specifically firearms, but you might still be interested in these great Nova docs:

Secrets of the Viking Sword

Secrets of the Samurai Sword

I've watched both of these multiple times, and they're both a fascinating study of the history, manufacturing, science, and relevance of these revolutionary weapons. Enjoy!

MeanrockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks again for the help, the suggestions have been great.

Thank you for sharing.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Although not really informative in any useful way, there's a guy on YouTube with an account named "taofledermaus" who does videos of him/his friends firing stupid shit out of shotguns. Stuff like pennies or sand or gummi bears. Needless to say, it's a lot of "don't try this at home, kids" stuff.