Inglorious Basterds Impressions

Artie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

Edited By Artie

Saw a midnight showing. A full review will be forthcoming, with a little announcement I guess. But here at the bullets: 

• All the actors and characters were fantastic. Tarantino is known for his characters, and this movie certainly doesn't break the trend
  • Very very long movie, midnight show ended at 2:50. Given some traliers and previews, that's roughly 2 1/2 hours. Be prepared.
  • Very funny, enjoyed all the plotlines and side stories, had a lot of charm as always, however
  • For a movie called Inglorious Basterds, they barley show up. You see more of a the German Inspector and Jewish French girl than any of the basterds. Side note: BJ Novak of The Office fame has four lines in the entire movie. Eli Roth has around five lines, so the only basterd you'll be hearing from is Brad Pitt.
  • Extremely long build ups to everything. We're talking a 35 minute set up to literally a five second death montage. I'm not exaggerating.
  • Zero action in the movie. I'm not complaining, but one of the people I went with was expecting "silly nonsense like Death Race" there is not a single fight scene or shoot out in the movie. All the violence is quick, its mostly talking. Just go in with the right expectations
  • Overall I enjoyed the movie, to what extent, not sure yet

This movie is destined for cult status. It takes some super ballsy moves that haven't been done before, but at the same time there are a few problems that are going to have people leaving the theater saying "I don't get it, why do people like this movie?" I would recommend it with the right expectations and fans of Tarantino, if you haven't seen something like Pulp Fiction though, you don't want to start with Inglorious Basterds.

PS. Love midnight crowds, clapping and cheering throughout the whole movie.
Artie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Artie

Saw a midnight showing. A full review will be forthcoming, with a little announcement I guess. But here at the bullets: 

• All the actors and characters were fantastic. Tarantino is known for his characters, and this movie certainly doesn't break the trend
  • Very very long movie, midnight show ended at 2:50. Given some traliers and previews, that's roughly 2 1/2 hours. Be prepared.
  • Very funny, enjoyed all the plotlines and side stories, had a lot of charm as always, however
  • For a movie called Inglorious Basterds, they barley show up. You see more of a the German Inspector and Jewish French girl than any of the basterds. Side note: BJ Novak of The Office fame has four lines in the entire movie. Eli Roth has around five lines, so the only basterd you'll be hearing from is Brad Pitt.
  • Extremely long build ups to everything. We're talking a 35 minute set up to literally a five second death montage. I'm not exaggerating.
  • Zero action in the movie. I'm not complaining, but one of the people I went with was expecting "silly nonsense like Death Race" there is not a single fight scene or shoot out in the movie. All the violence is quick, its mostly talking. Just go in with the right expectations
  • Overall I enjoyed the movie, to what extent, not sure yet

This movie is destined for cult status. It takes some super ballsy moves that haven't been done before, but at the same time there are a few problems that are going to have people leaving the theater saying "I don't get it, why do people like this movie?" I would recommend it with the right expectations and fans of Tarantino, if you haven't seen something like Pulp Fiction though, you don't want to start with Inglorious Basterds.

PS. Love midnight crowds, clapping and cheering throughout the whole movie.
Avatar image for smashedcontrollers
SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By SmasheControllers

I was planning to go to the midnight screening but i was tired so going tomorrow.

Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38

Great write up. I can't wait to see this.

At the theater I go to, every single crowd is always cheering or booing. When I saw District 9 people were yelling "Fuck their shit up!" for basically the entire back-end of the movie.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Tarantino is great for demonstrating pop-culture.  Does he accomplish that in Inglorious Bastards? 

I can't wait to watch it.

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

I wasn't really planning of seeing this, maybe when it's out on DVD or something. 

Also, 2.5 hours? Isn't that an average time for a movie these days?

Avatar image for atomic_tangerine
Atomic_Tangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Atomic_Tangerine

My God, I was planning to see this with a friend tomorrow cause he really wants to, but 2 and a half hours?  I'm not trying to hate here, but after about 90 minutes, my ability to stomach Tarantino's unique brand of pretentiousness drops fast.  Pray for me...
turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By turbomonkey138

amazing film . Hes great at creating suspense . Last last scene is amazing if . Thats all the action you need was at the end

gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By gearhead

So I'm gonna go out with some friends this weekend, and what movie should I see, District 9 or Inglorious Bastards?

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By c1337us

I was going to see it last night but got too tired. I will be going to a screening in a couple of hours though so I look forward to seeing it for myself. I have been really hyped for this movie since I first heard about it in the planning stages right up until I seen the first of the trailers released. Since then all the trailers coming out haven't been inspiring me but of course I will go see it any way. And 2 and a half hours doesn't seem like that extrodinarily long movie these days kinda sucks for me though I am going to the 9:30 session and I have been up since 4:00am. I was to go to bed early tonight.

TyphoonSwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TyphoonSwell

These impressions were very impressionable! I have an impression; "Vinny: Soma's pretty fuckin' rad!" Good, no?

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By artofwar420

I heard some people saying that it's going to be as memorable as Pulp Fiction. (haven't watched this one yet)

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty much in full agreement with Artie. Dialogue and conversation dominate this film, along with Cristoph Waltz's Hans Landa and Pitt's Aldo Raine. I think you certainly feel the presence of the Basterds throughout the film, even when they aren't on-screen.  

Last hour-or-so is magnificent. Tarantino does a great job of taking unorthodox routes. He knows all the cliches and he dodges the lot of them with a deft touch.  

@artofwar420 -- As memorable as Pulp Fiction? Maybe. It's definitely the zaniest take on World War II in American cinema. The boldest, probably. The villain will likely be a cult icon in a number of years, as will Aldo. Not sure where I, personally, would rank it amongst the other Tarantino films. Definitely would need another viewing, now that I know what twists the piece takes, structurally. 

Edit: Also, Eli Roth as The Bear Jew is fucking classic. I'm still impressed with his muscle gain for the film. Probably my favorite character.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By artofwar420

On a similar note, did anyone like Tarantino's part of Grindhouse? I've only watched Planet Terror so far, and thought it was excellent.

Artie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Artie
@Tru3_Blu3: Pop culture? Uhh, hard to do that in a World War 2 setting. 

@Atomic_Tangerine: Tarantino pretentious? I don't know what you're talking about there, his movies are always very straight forward. There might be the occasionally reference or throwback that nobody understands, but I wouldn't call it pretentious.

Waking up today, and looking back on the movie, it was really a fantastic film. I had my hopes down since I heard it wasn't that good in comparison to other movies, but I really loved every second of that movie. I'd see it again.
Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artofwar420 said:
"On a similar note, did anyone like Tarantino's part of Grindhouse? I've only watched Planet Terror so far, and thought it was excellent. "

I liked it, though I preferred Planet Terror.  

You can see Tarantino's shift in style happen in Death Proof. Lots and lots of dialogue for characters who will, ultimately, get killed off. It seems pointless to a lot of people, it seems superfluous and pretentious and heady and yadda-yah. But I liked it regardless.  

Stuntman Mike. Now there's a cult classic character.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#16  Edited By mike
@Artie said:
"PS. Love midnight crowds, clapping and cheering throughout the whole movie. "
Same here dude. The most memorable midnight showing I have ever been to was for The Phantom Menace. There were nerds in all kinds of Star Wars costumes and even lightsaber duels going on all throughout the theater before the flick started. Then, about 15 minutes before the end of the film, the sound went out. There was practically a riot, eventually the cops came in and the theater management turned the lights on. Everyone was issued rain check tickets, but it wasn't pretty.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Artie said:
 PS. Love midnight crowds, clapping and cheering throughout the whole movie. "

What the?! If I heard so much as a mouse fart during a movie I consider the whole experience ruined and seriously consider asking for my money back. But I guess that just sums Britain up. Holy crap if I went to an American cinema it sounds like i'd be scarred for life.
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By breadfan

I'm really looking forward to seeing this movie, it looks and sounds great

Avatar image for lightwarrior179
lightwarrior179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By lightwarrior179

Tarantino is a genius when it comes depicting the pop-culture in the way that would appeal to huge crowds and shock others at the same time. 
As far as I am concerned, I have loved nearly every Tarantino movie (that excludes Death Proof and his other co-directorial ventures).  
Pulp Fiction of course is my favorite just for the sole reason of how it breaks the perception in people's mind that "legendary movies always have complex or convulated stories". Well-written and witty dialogues,interesting and charming characters and a simplistic plot is what basically makes a great movie in my mind. You don't need  long-winded,confusing stories to score big. 

I can't wait for Inglourious Basterds. It's slated for a release few weeks later here but I will nonetheless watch it. 
Also,this is only what I believe. I like "chatty" Tarantino movies more than the action ones. Kill Bill Vol 1 is an exception of course.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By penguindust

I plan on seeing this movie eventually, but I'm glad the early reviews I read were not too far off.  I posted a caution to people in this thread over the level of mayhem as advertised against what is actually in the film.   I don't have a problem with a lot of conversation as long as it's entertaining, but the trailer and ads lead you to believe this will be a high energy shoot 'em up spectacular and all reports point in the other direction.  Tarantino himself said that he wanted to try and really use tension to create a thriller with this movie since he had been accused of being too focused on the minutia of each scene through his past films.  He really loves to keep people guessing which is good, but can lead to unsatisfactory works sometimes.

Avatar image for atomic_tangerine
Atomic_Tangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Atomic_Tangerine
@Artie:
Pretentious means it is self-important, not that it is complex or obscure.  Basically, his movies tend to telegraph the fact that Tarintino thinks his movies are awesome instead of just making a good movie and letting you realize it is awesome.  Of course, if you really like his movies like you do, you probably wouldn't even notice it.  I'm not saying it's bad or anything, just that it's not my thing.
Artie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Artie
@Atomic_Tangerine: I think you're confusing that with Taratino's more annoying habbit of showing off how many movies he's seen. Unless you're as insane as he is, you probably won't get most of them. But all of his movies are filled with references to old 70s and 60s kung fu flicks, westerns, and C-Movies than none of us have probably ever seen. I think you're just confusing his obession with all the movies he's seen with his obsession with own movie.

I think its a good thing that a director thinks their own movie is good, it means everyone has fun on the set.

EDIT: Bah its all unimportant though, as long as you enjoy the movie it doesn't matter.
Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By Xandurson

I do want to see this movie. At first I didn't care but the more and more I see of it I kinda want to see it. Great little impressions, Artie.