iOS 6 out today Thoughts?

Johnnboy2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Johnnboy2000

Just downloaded IOS 6 for my iPad so far so good. I like that I have sir on my iPad but I'm not a fan of the removal of YouTube app. The maps are ok haven't have a chance to play with it that much yet. I would like too know Peoples opinion on it?

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SexyToad

I'm not getting it until a jailbreak is out.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By natetodamax

Removing YouTube from iPad is total garbage.

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By bed

it's kinda slow on my 4S but i asked Siri where the nearest Saint Hubert restaurant was and she gave me the right answer, so it's all good. i don't like how podcasts are separated from the music app now, though and now they're in the shitty podcasts app. not to mention they don't show the description anymore.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Phatmac

Does this update do anything to my iphone 4?

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By apathylad

@AjayRaz: You don't use Instacast? It's what I use. Just make sure you turn off 3G downloads and don't stream if you're on a limited data plan.

sasnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sasnake

lol Apple products

churrific

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By churrific

My opinion is negative overall. The extra hurdle to google services (maps especially and youtube) sucks more than anything positive that comes out of the update. The new apple maps isn't great at all when compared with google maps.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By dungbootle

I like it

PeZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By PeZ

so far so good on my ipad2. the youtube removal is a good thing in my book, that shit was near impossible to use if you wantoed just to browse or share a link on a forum or something. but the app store seems WAY worse now. the search was bad before, but now the way it gives 4 results per page...

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MideonNViscera

My girlfriend downloaded it and showed me Siri's new GPS talking ability thing, which was cool. I noticed the removal of YouTube though, and then she left for the night so I haven't got much else to say. I haven't downloaded it yet because my phone battery is low haha

Avatar image for chadmasterflash
ChadMasterFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ChadMasterFlash

@Voxel said:

There's an app that was just released by YouTube. It is bullshit that they removed it though.

Revan_NL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Revan_NL

Isn't that iPhone only?

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Voxel said:

Google's releasing their own, better version of the app soon. You can still use m.youtube.com for now. They already released their new app for iPhone.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MideonNViscera

@wewantsthering said:

@Voxel said:

Google's releasing their own, better version of the app soon. You can still use m.youtube.com for now. They already released their new app for iPhone.

I heard theirs was gonna have ads, though this was before it came out and it didn't mention the kind/method of ads.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MideonNViscera said:

@wewantsthering said:

@Voxel said:

I heard theirs was gonna have ads, though this was before it came out and it didn't mention the kind/method of ads.

Gotta get their money!!!!

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#17  Edited By natetodamax
@MideonNViscera

@wewantsthering said:

@Voxel said:

Yeah, the videos will have ads in the app. I'm not sure how many though. The good thing about this is that it allows for a lot more videos to be viewable in the app (in the original built in app, most videos that have ads on the website, like music videos, couldn't be viewed in said app because copyright holders didn't like not being paid).
LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By LikeaSsur

It didn't really change a thing. Anything I have to say about it is very nitpicky.

I'm on an iPod Touch, 4th gen, for reference.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Wait so they removed YouTube and Google Maps? This is a downgrade...

vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

@ChadMasterFlash said:

@Voxel said:

There's an app that was just released by YouTube. It is bullshit that they removed it though.

Well, it's most likely a contract thing. Google probably weren't too happy with them making their own maps competitor.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By ajamafalous

Will there be a Google Maps app as well? Until then I'm not going to install it.

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Google maps is far superior, so is Apple going to street view the whole world now?

Johnnboy2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Johnnboy2000
@Phatmac yes. Removes google maps ( replaces it with apples new map app) and YouTube and gives you a passbook app that I have no idea what it dose.
Johnnboy2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Johnnboy2000

The biggest Chang iv seen is for iPad with sir other then that the maps which doesn't have turn by turn on older iPhones (I'm on a 4) is a weak imitation of google maps.

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@sexytoad does jailbreak give you flash?

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SeanFoster

They changed more then I was expecting, lots of little things to get used to. The removal of the Youtube app on the iPad (there is no Google app for iPad yet) is a huge blow, based on the new iPhone Youtube app I'm definitely going to miss the classic Apple one.

And I seem to be one of the unlucky people who can no longer connect to WiFi on either my iPhone or iPad. It was working fine at my office (where we use Apple Airport Extreme wireless) but I nothing loads at home. Judging by the support forums I'm not the only one.

I'm sure it'll be fine in a week or two but right now I'm wishing I'd listened to Matt Rorie....

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Lukeweizer

All these apps that people are complaining about losing (Youtube, Google maps), can you just open the browser and go to the mobile-friendly equivalent of said website? The Youtube mobile site is far better than the stock Youtube app and you can still go to google.com to get directs to some place.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By EXTomar

The issue with Google's apps on iOS was they are inferior to the Android version. The whole thing with Maps was that Google never had simple stuff like "turn by turn directions". Searching for directions only worked by text field (the system voice recognition could do it but it was simply doing "speech to text" and putting the result into the field). Forget whether or not Apple's Map app is any good, Google's Map app was poor. Should Apple just hope one day that Google gets around to updating Maps or should they build their own? And this situation hurts Google more than Apple. For instance, the original Google+ app on iOS was a barely a selectable list with a browser and paled compared what you could get with HTML5. It took months for the app to catch up in features where along the way less people where using it or cared about it. I don't see how neglecting apps on any platform helps any company.

As for the Youtube app, it worked but especially after seeing updated versions of the Youtube on other platforms (my tv and the PS3) this seems to be Google's lack in effort not Apple's.

ltsmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ltsmash

I usually wait a week or two after an iOS release to see if any bugs pop up.

The original iPhone YouTube app was never very good. The mobile version of the website was much easier to navigate and the new Google-released app is even better.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By GunslingerPanda

My thoughts are with those whose devices no longer function properly.

Always a sad day.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By awesomeusername

Everything I like and dislike are small things so it's not much of a change because my iPod is the 4th gen one so it doesn't have the bigger things like Siri and shit. When I get the new iPod though, I'll be tweeting with my girl Siri. The days of laziness shall be endless.

Things I like:

• The new YouTube app is pretty good. Much better then the Apple YouTube app. Although it won't load my favorites which is annoying.
  • Tweeting from the notification center is easier then having to quit what you're on to go to the Twitter app.
  • Everything looks nicer. The music and weather layouts are much cleaner.
  • I like that Safari has the 2 little arrows that takes the bottom menu off screen.

Things I dislike:

• I now have to download the Podcasts app to listen to the Giant Bombcasts now. Why not just leave it in the music app? Waste of damn space.
  • Passbook app. It seems like a good app for people that travel and go out a lot but I don't so why not let me delete it?
  • The new app store is kind of meh. Everything seems kind of clumped together.

said:

I'm not getting it until a jailbreak is out.

I read on Twitter that it's already been done.

said:

Isn't that iPhone only?

No.

said:

@wewantsthering said:

@Voxel said:

I haven't seen any ads yet, but who knows? That could change any day now.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

I like the Twitter and Facebook integration. And I like that my iPad now has Siri. It's kind of a bummer that Google Maps and YouTube aren't built in anymore. But Google Maps can still be downloaded in the App Store, and they're coming out with a YouTube app for iPad really soon, so no big deal really.

gametrkr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By gametrkr

Mix bag, removing Google products/services is huge. Although Google crafted app replacements are/will be better.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BonOrbitz

Does anyone have an idea how much extra space iOS 6 takes up over 5?

gametrkr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By gametrkr

@BonOrbitz: not much, but you will need at least 2.5GB free to update OTA.

FYI there is now an article saying Google Maps app was submitted, now they are just waiting on Apple to give the OK.

gametrkr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MariachiMacabre

The wifi errors are a pain in the ass and making it so I have to have the screen on to listen to streaming podcasts is an odd fucking move that annoys the shit out of me. On the positives, I like the new music interface look and my Internet seems much much faster.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#38  Edited By Yanngc33

I got it for my iPod Touch. Fuck them for making the "buttons" smaller.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#39  Edited By damnboyadvance

I have an 2nd generation iPod Touch. Obviously, I can't get the iOS update. From what I've heard so far though, iOS 6 isn't as great as everyone thought it'd be.

Mykander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Mykander

@EXTomar said:

The issue with Google's apps on iOS was they are inferior to the Android version. The whole thing with Maps was that Google never had simple stuff like "turn by turn directions". Searching for directions only worked by text field (the system voice recognition could do it but it was simply doing "speech to text" and putting the result into the field). Forget whether or not Apple's Map app is any good, Google's Map app was poor. Should Apple just hope one day that Google gets around to updating Maps or should they build their own? And this situation hurts Google more than Apple. For instance, the original Google+ app on iOS was a barely a selectable list with a browser and paled compared what you could get with HTML5. It took months for the app to catch up in features where along the way less people where using it or cared about it. I don't see how neglecting apps on any platform helps any company.

As for the Youtube app, it worked but especially after seeing updated versions of the Youtube on other platforms (my tv and the PS3) this seems to be Google's lack in effort not Apple's.

Seriously? Apparently you're total ignorant of the fact that it was Apple restricting Google, not the other way around. Put the blame where it belongs for all the crap you just listed (except some of the Google+ shenanigans).

Edit:

Just to keep it somewhat on topic, congratluations to Apple for finally adding an Alarm function to the iPad in iOS6. Those Alarm programs, already implemented in iOS, are tricky little devils taking years of effort to get working on the iPad apparently. Also, supposedly, they've re-implemented features in the Music App they took out in iOS5 (but left in for iPhones and iPods), but I haven't tested any of them yet.

Etnos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Etnos

I like it, so far so good. Youtube app will be replace shortly.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#43  Edited By artofwar420

I will probably download it in like a couple of months. Just 'cause.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#44  Edited By dichemstys

I like having Siri on the iPad.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#45  Edited By Snail

@Phatmac said:

Does this update do anything to my iphone 4?

It seems no one has answered your question yet. In case you still haven't found out: yes it does. I think you get pretty much everything except the turn-by-turn navigation and the "3D fly-over" view of the Maps app (which is probably the lamest thing to cut out), the Panorama mode in the Camera app and obviously any Siri-related updates. There's also something called "AirPlay Mirroring", I don't know what that is (I don't own an iPhone) but apparently you don't get that either. There may be more stuff but this is what I'm aware of.

cosi83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#46  Edited By cosi83

Makes videos on this site so slow they become unwatchable. Really wish i did not upgrade. Any help? Ipad3