Is Alex Navarro a member of Giantbomb now?

• 107 results
Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By Sambambo

Hey,

I'm sure that you have noticed the influx in Alex Navarro's Giantbomb activity. He does more work than Brad nowdays doing numerous quick looks, reviews, podcasts and what not, as well as appearing on the Gianbomb Panel at PAX.  He is also modeling the new Giantbomb tshirt on the webstore.

So, what do you think? Do you see him as a member of Giantbomb, or as an active guest.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Aronman789

He's just a friend of theirs that has experience in the field and likes to help out.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By wefwefasdf

He's a member of the Whiskey Media team who is easily qualified to do work on both Screened and Giant Bomb.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King

He's an honorary member?
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Alex is a dudebro 

he fits in the gang naturally and doesnt need an official 'GB staff' tag 

he's a GB dudebro

Lelcar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#7  Edited By Lelcar

I wouldn't say that he does more work than Brad. Brad does a ton of interviews, quicklooks, Ask Me Anythings, and a bunch of other features. He's on vacation right now, so it might not seem like he's doing much this week, but Brad's a hard worker. However, Alex is getting more and more involved with Giantbomb. He's still co-hosting Screened.com though, so he's not as active as Ryan, Vinny, Jeff, and Brad, but he's getting there. I actually like Alex, and I kinda hope that he leaves Screened.com and works full-time on Giantbomb. And the way that it's looking, I think that he just might be permanently on Giantbomb, which would be awesome. I'm sure they can find another guy to fill his spot at Screened and keep Rorie company.

MisterDunlap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By MisterDunlap

He might to as well be, but it's really irrelevant whether he technically is or not. We still get our funny Navarro Quick Looks, and we still get our movie goodness from him as well. It's rather pointless trying to argue whether he is, or is not, part of GiantBomb. Just enjoy him.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ajamafalous
@SpikeSpiegel said:
" He's a member of the Whiskey Media team who is easily qualified to do work on both Screened and Giant Bomb. "

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Kyreo
@Video_Game_King said:
" He's an honorary member? "
He's as much a member as Dave is.  And I consider Dave a member.
NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NickL

alex loves videogames, he works in the same office as giantbomb, and he is friends with all of them ... oh ya and he is a fan of sports games in general

It seems natural to me. 

Now they need to get the comicvine people in on the comic book games in the future =p

Ben99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Ben99

He is the best gaming editor IMO. I remember his Burnout Paradise review in GS and when I bought that game based on his review . Also, his latest reviews are amazing . 

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ShaunassNZ

Screened.com is just an excuse to have Alex on Whiskey Media.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

He is a friend of the website with a lot of expirence in reviewing video game, and he still plays new video game so why not be nice and give GB a review.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By Daveyo520
@SpikeSpiegel said:
" He's a member of the Whiskey Media team who is easily qualified to do work on both Screened and Giant Bomb. "
rjpelonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By rjpelonia

No.

Portis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Portis

Whiskey Media is a small company, and Alex likes video games. Why wouldn't he want to be on Quick Looks and play some games with his buds? :)

Avatar image for scrumdidlyumptious
Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I like Rorie

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Sambambo
@Lelcar said:
" I wouldn't say that he does more work than Brad. Brad does a ton of interviews, quicklooks, Ask Me Anythings, and a bunch of other features. He's on vacation right now, so it might not seem like he's doing much this week, but Brad's a hard worker. However, Alex is getting more and more involved with Giantbomb. He's still co-hosting Screened.com though, so he's not as active as Ryan, Vinny, Jeff, and Brad, but he's getting there. I actually like Alex, and I kinda hope that he leaves Screened.com and works full-time on Giantbomb. And the way that it's looking, I think that he just might be permanently on Giantbomb, which would be awesome. I'm sure they can find another guy to fill his spot at Screened and keep Rorie company. "
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't calling Brad lazy, just that Alex seems to be everywhere!
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#20  Edited By JJWeatherman

Doesn't matter to me whether or not he's an official part of the GB team. As long as he can do both Screened stuff AND Giant Bomb stuff, then I'm happy as can be.

D0tti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By D0tti
@SpikeSpiegel said:
Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Sambambo
@SuperSambo said:

"Do you see him as a member of Giantbomb, or as an active guest. "

@RJPelonia said:

" No. "

Nice...
zameer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23  Edited By zameer

I'm not getting how this is a big deal. Even if you weren't acquainted with his work at GameSpot I think it should be clear to most people that WM shifts its editorial resources around.  

A bit of a sidetrack here, but I'm not getting the Navarro hate that pops up occasionally. It's strange that people take to Dave (whose work I thoroughly enjoy, PC REPRESENT) better when he isn't solely a GiantBomb staffer and isn't necessarily as qualified as Alex. I guess they find Alex abrasive?

In any case, I honestly wouldn't mind other WM staffers doing coverage here.. I'd love to see Sara and Tony review a comic book game if their schedules permit, and it'd be nice to see Will and Norm give the more esoteric PC titles a look.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By Red12b

Brads on , in my opinion everybody is a Staff member of Whiskey and they work to increase that business which incorporates all of the sites, It's like a massive family sort of deal, and it works, I think there should be more crossover like this, it's great. 

Especially when one team member is out on or "assignment"

onlineatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By onlineatron

WHY ARE THESE PEOPLE WE DON'T KNOW DOING THESE THINGS!? LETS COMMENT ON THEIR RELATIONSHIPS AND WORKING PATTERNS! 

*Waits for the hate*

Avatar image for detectivespecial
DetectiveSpecial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DetectiveSpecial

It should just be one big Whiskey Media melting pot, really. There is nothing wrong with a little cross pollination.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#27  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I'd call him "a frequent guest".

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Gizmo

Is Brad away on assignment currently? I would assume so, otherwise what the hell is he doing?

zameer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By zameer
@Gizmo: He's on holiday! At least that's the reason they gave for his absence from this week's Bombcast.
rndmtask

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By rndmtask

He's stated on the Screened podcast that he just likes writing about videogames as much as movies, so he might as well write reviews of the games GB doesn't normally review, like sports titles.

proflate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By proflate

he's pretty much been a part of the giantbomb crew even before it started..

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#32  Edited By natetodamax
@SpikeSpiegel said:
This. He can literally be in any video for them by walking a few steps from his chair.
rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#33  Edited By rjayb89

Rorie>Dave>Alex=Jared>>>>>>>>>Banana mouth>Brad

Whatever that means.

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Kjellm87

He knows his video game, so I don't mind

B0nd07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#35  Edited By B0nd07
@SuperSambo: Brad had the week off, so they were a man down.  Therefor, they brought Alex (and Rorie in one case) in for all those Quick Looks.  Basically, he's their overflow guy.  When they have more than the four of them can handle, or someone is out of the office, they'll bring him in.
StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By StaticFalconar
@SuperSambo said:
" Hey,  I'm sure that you have noticed the influx in Alex Navarro's Giantbomb activity. He does more work than Brad nowdays doing numerous quick looks, reviews, podcasts and what not, as well as appearing on the Gianbomb Panel at PAX.  He is also modeling the new Giantbomb tshirt on the webstore.  So, what do you think? Do you see him as a member of Giantbomb, or as an active guest. "
Brads on vacation and Alex has had past experience doing the whole game journalism thing. You know the Gamespot days? So even if it is just a guest role until Brad's vacation is over, he will always feel like a regular member regardless. 
mafuchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By mafuchi

I think the point of this is to find out which team Alex would be on in our fantasy baseball team.  GB or Screened?

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ryanwho

Everyone under the whiskey media umbrella is allowed to be a contributor to the sister sites. Surprise surprise, the guy who reviewed games for a decade is helping out Giantbomb.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By iamjohn
@rjayb89 said:
" Rorie>Dave>Alex=Jared>>>>>>>>>Banana mouth>Brad Whatever that means. "
It means you suck and have terrible taste.
paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By paulunga
@zameer said:
"  I'm not getting how this is a big deal. Even if you weren't acquainted with his work at GameSpot I think it should be clear to most people that WM shifts its editorial resources around.   A bit of a sidetrack here, but I'm not getting the Navarro hate that pops up occasionally. It's strange that people take to Dave (whose work I thoroughly enjoy, PC REPRESENT) better when he isn't solely a GiantBomb staffer and isn't necessarily as qualified as Alex. I guess they find Alex abrasive? In any case, I honestly wouldn't mind other WM staffers doing coverage here.. I'd love to see Sara and Tony review a comic book game if their schedules permit, and it'd be nice to see Will and Norm give the more esoteric PC titles a look. "
Haters gonna hate. And there's some hate for just about everyone in the GB crew, which just goes to show that the internet really is a giant pile of douche.

As far as the original question, of course he is part of the crew and I pretty much consider all other WM employees willing to show up from time to time part of the crew.

Also, Dave's sister.
Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ShaunassNZ said:
" Screened.com is just an excuse to have Alex on Whiskey Media. "
Except for the fact that, you know, the dude totally knows a lot of shit about movies.
Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Sambambo
@rndmtask said:
" He's stated on the Screened podcast that he just likes writing about videogames as much as movies, so he might as well write reviews of the games GB doesn't normally review, like sports titles. "
I remeber him saying on the GB podcast where they introduced Screened that while working at Gamespot the thought of reviewing games was soul destroying.

The fact that you have to stick to the same sort of paragraphs, about grapics, length, gameplay etc.

So either he hates writing about movies, or he had a massive u-turn.
Sathan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#43  Edited By Sathan
@JJWeatherman said:
" Doesn't matter to me whether or not he's an official part of the GB team. As long as he can do both Screened stuff AND Giant Bomb stuff, then I'm happy as can be. "
teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By teh_destroyer
@Aronman789 said:
" He's just a friend of theirs that has experience in the field and likes to help out. "
This, plus he knows just as much about games as he does movies and tv shows.
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MrKlorox

More like he's member of WM and has experience reviewing games under his belt. I'm sure they'd let Norm write a review if he felt experienced enough in a particular game that the "official" staff did not.

In fact I would qualify Alex as a GB staffer well before I would consider Brad Nicholson one.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alex is not part of the canon.

Aaron_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#47  Edited By Aaron_G

I don't see why it matter if he helps them out when he has nothing better to do. He gives them a hand and they get more content and reviews up on the site. 

rndmtask

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By rndmtask
@SuperSambo: Yeah, but that was when he was opening up the new site, so he was probably just jaded. I think he just missed it, and thought it would be fun to write about games again.
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49  Edited By MysteriousBob
@rjayb89 said:

" Rorie>Dave>Alex=Jared>>>>>>>>>Banana mouth>Brad Whatever that means. "

> means "greater than". You've got it completely backwards. 

Alex was one of the original Gamespot staff. Of course he counts. 

This validates my point: 

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By warxsnake

Spiritually, he's always been a giantbomber, since he was reviewing games along with the other folk back in the GS days.