Is it time to revive The Matrix? Who are your picks for director and main cast?

• 91 results
TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#51  Edited By TheWildCard

As a fan of the trilogy (yes I said it!): No. No need for sequels, definitely no need for a remake.

Don't give them any ideas! It's inevitable, isn't it?

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By John1912

While the sequels were a little questionable in parts I dont think the Matrix could be rebooted and done any better then what has already been done. And would only turn into something that tarnishes the franchise. It should be left alone. Maybe 10 years from now, but I think most people like me are pretty sick of reboots.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

How 'bout a Serial Experiments Lain movie? I mean, if we're going to talk about late '90's perceptions of rapidly changing technology...

...no one? Oh, well, at least we are getting a Ghost in the Shell movie!

I don't actually want a Serial Experiments Lain movie. Or a Matrix reboot. Let those things stay in the past

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Its not like the matrix doesnt hold up. It would be like "reviving" the rock. Just watch the movie again instead of dreaming.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#55 fisk0  Moderator

I don't feel the need for any more Matrix movies.

If it were to happen I'd probably want someone like Jean-Luc Godard or Lars Von Trier to make something entirely different tonally and artistically with that script.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Sure, I'd watch more stories from that world. Wouldn't at ALL want a reboot though. Tell a different story.

Director: Joseph Kosinski (Tron Legacy)

Main Cast: Willem Dafoe, Tilda Swinton, Lennie James, Ben Whishaw, Pom Klementieff, Hugo Weaving

Random Story Idea:

The Deus Ex Machina is dead, and the Oracle and Architect are missing. In a new version of the Matrix closer in approximation to the world before the Machine War, a third-party program (Swinton) is threatening the tepid peace between humans and machines by orchestrating attacks on both Zion and the Machine City using humans and agents. An operator (Klementieff) is forced to join forces with a Zero One diplomat (Whishaw) to enter the Matrix and investigate the apparently mind-altering organization. In the Real World, human forces consider assaulting the surface while the Machine City is enbroiled in chaos.

Inside, the operative and diplomat find various forces vying for control of the Matrix, and uncover a plot to destabilize the Real World enough to force both humans and machines to take refuge solely within the system. Dafoe is Klementieff's commander, James is another third-party program rallying against Swinton, and Weaving is a hermit isolated within another simulation hidden inside the new Matrix (among many other simulations).

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

No, it is not time to revive the Matrix. Even if it DID come to that, they should just make it a contiuation. The movie's have always had a cyclical nature to them (Neo isn't the first "one", and the Matrix is certainly not the first iteration). The oracle talks about how Neo will return at the end of the last movie, while I am sure it's more of the Jesus symbolism, it's certainly open for just a raw continuation.

Also, I love the Alfonso Cuaron pick. With that said, I here there is this fantastic pair of directors called The Wachowski sisters - I bet they would be a perfect fit.

Bfinstad86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Or we could not do any of this. There's an idea. Find a new way to force jesus imaginary and "hackers" quality computer hi-jinks into a lame movie.

WasabiCurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By WasabiCurry

In the age of soft reboots, sequels, and remakes. All I have to say is, plz no more...

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bbalpert said:

In case there are others who are extremely late to this party (I only just watched it for the first time last month), John Wick is a very good "Keanu Reeves is stoic and shoots tons and tons of people" movie. So while it doesn't have The Matrix's sci-fi aspect to it, you could always pretend it's all happening in a simulation and/or that his dog was an Aibo or whatever.

Not to mention the sequel will have Laurence Fishburne. So there's that.

mekon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No I would be very much against a reboot. The only marketing that I noticed was the phone in the original Matrix, there's too much room for advertising people to kill the mood nowadays in a new film. The target demographic for that type of technology/film (owing to smartphones and other films) has widened so far that I would wonder if the film would suffer as a result.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I was just thinking this morning about how this is probably the biggest property of recent memory that hasn't been given any attention lately. Which I'm okay with, but I'd totally watch another movie set in the world of The Matrix. I just hope the Wachowskis don't do it, because everything I've seen of theirs since the Matrix has been kinda bad.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I definitely want a sequel, but I'm not interested in a remake. As for director of a sequel...Gareth Evans. The Raid movies are INCREDIBLE.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

A reboot would be a terrible idea and likely done badly. How do you improve upon perfection? (re: 1st movie only)

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haha excellent! If @liquiddragon could now start a thread asking about a new F-Zero game I would love to have that announced in a few months.

Sure I'll see a Matrix reboot. It sounds 100% unnecessary and I have no idea what new story they can tell in that universe but OK.

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I like your choices! But I'd like to see them continue the canon, just airbrush and retcon the bad bullshit stoner philosophy.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I really liked where the Animatrix went. It explored that universe in interesting ways while the trilogy got super up its own ass trying to create a lore that was super ham-fisted. If Warner Bros. really want to push for a Matrix reboot, I think they'd be better off with exploring other stories and new characters rather than remaking the original.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Loading Video...

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I'm also a fan of both the trilogy and Animatrix and won't defend Reload and Revolutions neither.

If a new Matrix had to happen (and I hope not), they should make more stories on the same universe instead of remaking the originals and recasting for the same characters. With that said, I think all the names you mentioned would be good castings for a movie set in that universe, although I might disagree with some of your picks if it was a recast of old characters.

I will.

The Matrix was a really cool trilogy. While I absolutely agree the first movie is by far the best out of them, I like them all and people were way too harsh on them. They haven't aged that well though.

I also think rebooting The Matrix is a bad idea. Would be a lot more fun to tell stories around the original.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

The Matrix, despite its 1999 release, is the most "early 2000s"-ass thing there is. The first movie is great, don't get me wrong, but it's the most glaring example I can think up of a movie that's "of its era". I mean, virtually everything about that movie is kinda dependent on the snapshot in time when it released. A bunch of people were terrified of Y2K and rapid advancements in technology while so-called "computer nerds" were feeling really empowered from successes, so the idea of life as some elaborate, nefarious computer simulation hit much harder than it otherwise would have.

Even from a presentation standpoint, every cool film effect used and that Crystal Method-esque soundtrack (insert Jeff's spot-on impersonation of every demo derby video game trailer music) was all so copied and run into the ground that it can't ever be resurrected for anything except ironic use. It's half the reason the sequels were so bad. It became such a cultural phenomenon so quickly that there wasn't really anywhere to go with it, so the latter two movies became largely self-indulgent crap that tried to double-down on the "mysticism" of the universe and ultimately turned into meandering garbage. The sequels shouldn't have ever been made, and I'm assuming weren't even really intended to be until it became too financially promising for them not to be made.

To make another installment in the series or reboot it now would only extend this further with a third-straight movie that never should have existed. I can't see any possible way in which this doesn't end terribly. This is evidence of a Hollywood that's out of ideas and wants to make a quick and easy cash-grab on nostalgia. Please don't support this. If it somehow gets not-awful reviews, go ahead, but I implore anyone ready to line up opening night for this to do so with your eyes wide open, fully expecting a massive letdown. For every quality reboot or long-awaited sequel that's actually watchable, there are a thousand examples of films that crapped on the beloved original and just preyed on the fans, going more after their wallet than after making a quality successor.

Please go watch Reloaded and Revelations again and remember why this shouldn't be. And that's probably the best-case scenario for how this can turn out. Hell, Keanu actually has a pretty solid franchise out in the John Wick movies with some similarly cool stylistic gunplay. Watch those instead, or just watch the original Matrix again. A Matrix reboot is an exceptionally bad idea. Even with "dream" casting where everyone is a great fit and it all comes together under quality direction, this might still be a pile of shit because the writing will have to somehow revere the source material, modernize the Matrix "world", and creatively take the series forward in ways even the Wachowskis themselves couldn't. It's a tall order, to say the least.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Ezekiel

@zevvion said:
@johnymyko said:

I'm also a fan of both the trilogy and Animatrix and won't defend Reload and Revolutions neither.

If a new Matrix had to happen (and I hope not), they should make more stories on the same universe instead of remaking the originals and recasting for the same characters. With that said, I think all the names you mentioned would be good castings for a movie set in that universe, although I might disagree with some of your picks if it was a recast of old characters.

I will.

The Matrix was a really cool trilogy. While I absolutely agree the first movie is by far the best out of them, I like them all and people were way too harsh on them. They haven't aged that well though.

I also think rebooting The Matrix is a bad idea. Would be a lot more fun to tell stories around the original.

I've read nothing definitive about this rumored relaunch of The Matrix being a reboot. That's just what people automatically assume with today's movies. I agree, it would be better to tell original stories in the same universe.

I also agree that the whole trilogy is good and receives too much undeserved hate from people who think too highly of the original.

The Animatrix was the worst. Only a few episodes were good. I still have the scores I put from the last time I watched it.

• Final Flight of the Osiris - 6/10
  • The Second Renaissance part 1 - 5/10
  • The Second Renaissance part 2 - 6/10
  • Kid's Story - 7/10
  • Program - 5/10
  • World Record - 6/10
  • Beyond - 6/10
  • A Detective Story - 6/10
  • Matriculated - 5/10
fatalbanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Peter Dinklage as Neo... that is all.

Omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

As much nostalgia as I have for the first movie and how good I remember it being, I don't think the concept is as mind blowing and deep as we all thought it was back then.

As much as it pains me to say it but it's just another action movie wrapped around another messiah character, who by the end of the series literally deus ex machina's his way to victory.

I think the whole being annihilated or enslaved by machines storyline so prevalent in pop culture through the 80's and 90's was based on a fear of electronics taking over our lives and us becoming so dependant on technology. Now I feel science fiction has moved on to ideas of machines/robots/AI assimilating into society as they become so advanced that they are no longer distinguishable from actual humans. Like the movie Ex Machina.

But what do I know I'm just some idiot on the internet. It's probably going to be remade at some point. They remade the Beauty and the Beast and based on the trailer it seems to be a shot for shot remake. It's such a cynical cash grab with no artistic purpose other than to say, "but it's live action now!" Sure, awesome, I'll get right on seeing Beauty and the Beast: Now with less colour and less expressive characters edition.

LtTibbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Matrix Online was a continuation of the trilogy how was the story in that?

Vinnypop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reboot the movies? I could take it or leave it.

Reboot Matrix Online!! hell yes!

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Matrix reboot? I'll pretend it doesn't exist just like Spiderman.

#TeamTobey

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

@notnert427: The Matrix came out in 1999? Holy shit I'm old.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

It's been a long time since I watched it, but is there any reason to remake it other than it being a cash grab, doesn't seem like there have been any substantial tech improvements that limited anything that was done in the original that could be done now.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#81  Edited By GERALTITUDE

I would never remake this movie, holds up great.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By WynnDuffy
@werupenstein said:

It's been a long time since I watched it, but is there any reason to remake it other than it being a cash grab, doesn't seem like there have been any substantial tech improvements that limited anything that was done in the original that could be done now.

Just cash, they also do this to bring back cool titles, look at the horrible Lethal Weapon and Shooter shows on TV

Dispossession

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

John Carpenter is the director, Kurt Russell as Neo. Keith David as Morpheus. The rest of the cast can be anyone.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like if you want something fresh from The Matrix, you take on Adam Curtis to direct. You'll get something grimly close to the bone, at least.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok before we all summarily shout this movie down sight unseen, remember one thing about it.

In the original, they couldn't exit the Matrix without landline phones. In this age of the smartphones, think about how fucking hard it'll be to find a public landline in Manhattan.

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By BrunoTheThird

I say hell no to a reboot, but something new along the lines of The Animatrix short stories could be cool. Something more minimalist and artsy and heart-felt and funny. A movie adaptation of the "Beyond" Animatrix short directed by Richard Linklater, much in the same way as Waking Life but more cogent, would be a wet dream come true.

Aethelred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

billmcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 6

I don't think there is any need to revive or remake the Matrix

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By flameboy84

Would love more Matrix stories I didn't hate either of the sequels and was super into them at the time. In terms of your picks for roles I flat out disagree with them all except think Tilda Swinton is inspired the others are awful.

I could see a story telling one of the other revolutions before Neo where new actors are in the same roles essentially.

SmallStep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the idea and "Edward" Gordon-Levitt would definitely be a great fit for Neo.

Avatar image for deactivated-598559349432d
deactivated-598559349432d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Always thought Brazil's Terry Gilliam would make a great director for something in the matrix series. I'd also love to see an Asian lead like Imo Uwais from the raid.