Is it worth it to watch Heroes?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By xyzygy

I know that the show was cancelled last year and I heard that the ending was never quite complete. But are the good parts in the show enough to make up for the fact that it's unfinished? 

Avatar image for indiana_jenkins
indiana_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By indiana_jenkins

I expect this show will be bashed to hell, and maybe it deserves it for the later seasons, but people seem to forget about season 1.

Season 1 of Heroes was great. Like any tv show season it had it's bad episodes, it's slow burners, and it's amazing standout episodes. I wouldn't place it as high as say "Breaking Bad", but it could easily compare to the likes of "Lost" or "Dexter." However, everything after season 1...

I think the writer's strike killed it. Season 2 was abysmal. Season 3 was on an upward curve in terms of quality, but season 2 ruined that show and tainted it. I never actually finished season 3.

Basically, I just want to remind everyone that there was a good season of this show.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

Season 1 was awesome. I loved it. It sorta sucks to not get a sense of closure but I'd reccomend watching that first one at least. Then see if you can make it through the rest. I lost interest 3/4 through season 2.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Quipido

As said above, watch the first one and do not even attempt to move on to the second one.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watch Season 1 and pretend that's where the story ends. Indiana_Jenkins has it right.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By GunstarRed

Season 1 was brilliant and after the tiny second season it just got worse and worse. They spent so much time bringing everybody together in the first and then spent as much effort as possible splitting them all up again. They Turned Hiro the best character into a joke and made a pretty menacing villain into a puppy dog... I gave up somewhere around season 3.

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sayishere

Seriously watch season 1, that all you need, fuck the other seasons, but i seriously think if you watch the first, you will want to watch the others.

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Meltac

Watch Season1, and then just leave it at that.

Moody_yeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Moody_yeti

It's just me that kinda liked all the season's then? :S

But yeah Season 1 was great.

CornishRocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By CornishRocker

Misfits is much better than Heroes, watch that instead.

Potter9156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Potter9156

The first season is ok. The villain is pretty terrible, but it's still worth watching. If you have nothing else to watch.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@dudeglove said:

Don't watch anything beyond season 1.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14  Edited By I_smell

It's pretty cheesy, but it's a fun ride. I watched all the seasons, but yeah, 1 is the best. If you like X-Men and the whole mystery of "does this guy have powers?" and "what is THAT dude's power even supposed to be??" then this is a fun show.

You can say there's no real ending to the last season, but really the last season is so far removed from what happens at the start that it doesn't really matter.

I've got the DVD box set, the commentaries and stuff are fun.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By N7

Just rewatch Breaking Bad and pretend you've never seen it before.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ShaggE

While Heroes did get pretty awful after Season 1, I disagree that you should stop there. There are enjoyable subplots in each season, even as they get dumber and dumber, and you'll be quite invested in the characters by the time you finish S1.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Watch only the first season.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#20  Edited By Undeadpool

The first season is VERY flawed, but there are a couple of truly great episodes, so take from that what you will. I personally stopped watching the second season after two episodes due to the utter mediocrity of it.

Chemin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#21  Edited By Chemin

Yup, as people are saying, watch the first season. It's good, and it's the only good part of the series. Sure, you're not getting complete closure, but enough to be able to quit there. And for the record, you probably won't get any closure even if you watch the whole show, as you said.

Wolf3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Wolf3

@xyzygy: It's maybe worth trying. I don't think Tim Kring knows what he's doing though-the show should have been taken from him. He's said how the "origin story" is the only part of superhero stuff he likes, and IMO that's the WORST part, that in a lot of cases should just be skipped.

Season one was very good...all kinds of cool stuff, though unfortunately I feel like the potential for some stuff never paid off.

Season 2 is only like...I don't know, less than 10 episodes? I thought it started out stronger than season 1, and had an awesome villain being set up...and then instead of just delaying it for the strike, they like wrapped everything up in an episode or two COMPLETELY ruining all the set up. I don't feel like it ever recovered from that. May have been NBC mandated though, that they wrap it up.

Season 3 was IMO the worst by far. It basically has two halves, almost two separate seasons really. I can't remember specifics, and it was still watchable, but I know I had issues with it.

Season 4 was probably a bit better, had some good elements, but...I don't know, it was just a bit flat compared with seasons 1 and 2.

I wish it had been given a new EP instead of being cancelled. Ugh...it was sort of replaced by The Cape, which was 100x worse than Heroes at its worst.

I got annoyed by depowering they did in later seasons, and when they randomly killed the best character on the show, who Tim Kring thought there was nothing else to do with, even though they were one of the most complex characters on there, and cool.

I guess I sort of feel a bit about it the same way I do about Lost, where for me the last season didn't quite live up to what I wanted, and the whole thing didn't feel as "important" as it seemed like it would when I was starting out. Although Heroes spent a lot more time fumbling around than Lost, I'd say. I guess I'd say they both had tons of promise, and could have been better than they were.

morrelloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By morrelloman

Season 1 definitely

Season 2 probably

Season 3 WTF

Season 4 Kill Yourself

Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Icil

@Indiana_Jenkins said:

I expect this show will be bashed to hell, and maybe it deserves it for the later seasons, but people seem to forget about season 1.

Season 1 of Heroes was great. Like any tv show season it had it's bad episodes, it's slow burners, and it's amazing standout episodes. I wouldn't place it as high as say "Breaking Bad", but it could easily compare to the likes of "Lost" or "Dexter." However, everything after season 1...

I think the writer's strike killed it. Season 2 was abysmal. Season 3 was on an upward curve in terms of quality, but season 2 ruined that show and tainted it. I never actually finished season 3.

Basically, I just want to remind everyone that there was a good season of this show.

I came here to basically say "just watch season 1". It's a great comic come to life and told in a thrilling way (and with a great supervillian). The other seasons just weren't quality TV, but the first was a treat. It even has closure, so you can only watch the first season and enjoy a good story.

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#25  Edited By benpack

@CornishRocker said:

Agreed x100.

It's on Hulu and it's very good (if you can watch it where you are)

jaymorgoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jaymorgoth

Season 1 has Malcolm McDowell, what more incentive do you need? Oh and it's awesome!

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27  Edited By Sooty

Season 1 is pretty good, season 2, 3 and 4 are terrible. 3 and 4 are particularly bad.

The show basically has everybody switching sides every episode and you have to deal with Claire hating her father one minute then loving him the next. What a cunt.

If you want a good show, watch The Wire or The Shield.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Akyho

As far as I can tell it had the same syndrome as Lost. However people were less stupid to put up with it.

No Caption Provided

As far as I can tell. This is from an episode.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By Dany

Don't watch past the first season. Everything after that is crap.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would recommend watching a superior show like Breaking Bad or Battlestar Galactica. However, IF YOU MUST watch Heroes, as others have said, watch season one, it's pretty good for what it is. But don't watch any further than that. Just pretend that's where it ends. The show really dove off a fucking cliff.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TheFreeMan

First season was pretty great. Second season was alright. After that it just got progressively worse. Seasons 3 and 4 were really dumb and really boring.

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SteamPunkJin

My advice: Watch the first season and make up your own ending. If you watch Seasons 2 and 3 you'll just get frustrated with the show and the characters.

'5 Years Gone' is still a great episode of Television, despite the series' other hang ups.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MezZa

Watch season 1 if you're really interested. It's enjoyable enough. Season 2 is very lacking, probably due to the writer's strike. Season 3 is bearable, but pretty bleh. Season 4 is also bleh, but in a more boring way. I put up with it after season 2 because I was really hoping it would pick back up eventually, but unfortunately it never really did. Lackluster follow up seasons aside, the series was just never the same to me after a certain event happened to one of the main characters in season 3.

Taka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Taka

all has been sait.

watch season 1 and stop after that

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By AlexW00d

I watched it all and enjoyed it all, but series 1 is probably the best. Also the least weird. The shitty American Writer's Guild strike fucked up the second series as they had to cut it super short.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By penguindust

The first season is good, the second has its moments and I gave up part of the way through season 3. Was there a forth? I don't know.

@GlenTennis said:

@CornishRocker said:

Agreed x100.

It's on Hulu and it's very good (if you can watch it where you are)

Damn straight Misfits is better...oh wait, not this Misfits? My bad.

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TehFlan

I came here to say you should watch the first season, as did everyone else.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By StaticFalconar

Watch season one because the nice slow set up was great. However when they established the universe and franchise after the set up, it kinda went downhill from there due the writer's strike they had at the time and budget issues.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By xyzygy

For the record I have watched Lost and loved every single bit of it, every season. I've watched Galactica too and it blew my mind consistently. 

I think it sound like I'll give the show a shot!

Goboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Goboard

As everyone else has been saying the first season will seriously draw you in. But depending on how much you enjoy the first season you may enjoy the following ones. At least give the second season a shot instead of ignoring it like the others who have replied have been saying.

championfetus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By championfetus

Hirooooooooooo

But yes, watch the first season.

Hellstrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Hellstrom

Heroes is just a terribad franchise like X-men but worse.

sungahymn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By sungahymn

Just watch the first season and forget about the cliffhanger at the end of it.

So says everyone. It's amazing how unanimous the love is for the first season and the hate is for everything after that. I never watched the other seasons. Looks like that was the right choice.