Is love blind?

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By flaminghobo

I was just asked this question, via a quiz I was taking. I responded with the following answer:

"Love is blind, to those who refuse to see it." 

How would you answer the question? Also, what do you make of my answer?

EDIT: Reading a couple of these posts has made me interpret the question in a different manner. Perhaps love is blind to the naked eye, and can only be felt. Thus, those that base their claim to love, could only be true if they did not base their statement purely on physical traits. Sorry if this is poorly worded, it was a spontaneous thought.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By natetodamax

Nowadays, love consists of saying "Hey, wanna go out" and the other person saying "Okay", going to a movie, and then breaking up.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By flaminghobo
@natetodamax said:
" Nowadays, love consists of saying "Hey, wanna go out" and the other person saying "Okay", going to a movie, and then breaking up. "
Well that would depend on your definition of the word, "love." There is a vast difference between the word, "like" and "love."
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By natetodamax
@FlamingHobo said:
" @natetodamax said:
" Nowadays, love consists of saying "Hey, wanna go out" and the other person saying "Okay", going to a movie, and then breaking up. "
Well that would depend on your definition of the word, "love." There is a vast difference between the word, "like" and "love." "
That's not my definition, that's what I've observed.
Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By Griddler
@natetodamax said:
Not in my city, at some point a teenage girl would get pregnant.
flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By flaminghobo
@natetodamax said:
" @FlamingHobo said:
" @natetodamax said:
Well that would depend on your definition of the word, "love." There is a vast difference between the word, "like" and "love." "
That's not my definition, that's what I've observed. "
Well how could you call that "love," when you would not define it as the said example.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By natetodamax
@girdz said:
" @natetodamax said:
Not in my city, at some point a teenage girl would get pregnant. "
I should probably add that. I know a person in my school that has a child.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By natetodamax
@FlamingHobo said:
" @natetodamax said:
" @FlamingHobo said:
" @natetodamax said:
Well how could you call that "love," when you would not define it as the said example. "
Because that's what the majority of the population seems to believe.
MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By MetalGearSunny

What kind of quiz were you taking!?

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By breadfan
@natetodamax said:
" @FlamingHobo said:
" @natetodamax said:
" @FlamingHobo said:
" @natetodamax said:
Well how could you call that "love," when you would not define it as the said example. "
Because that's what the majority of the population seems to believe. "
I've never met or seen anyone who believe that to be true.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By natetodamax
@Br3adfan said:

" @natetodamax said:

" @FlamingHobo said:

" @natetodamax said:
" @FlamingHobo said:
" @natetodamax said:
I've never met or seen anyone who believe that to be true. "
You live in a good place then.

I'd also like to point out that the United States has the highest percentage of teenage pregnancies in the world, but that's not relevant to the discussion.
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I disagree with your statement.  Love is a subjective emotion, much like happiness or sadness: those feelings are different for everyone.  The same things that make you sad or angry could possibly make me happy.  I am not capable of falling in love as I see it as pointless, but I do not believe it's because I'm blind to it.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By flaminghobo
@natetodamax said:
" @FlamingHobo said:
" @natetodamax said:
" @FlamingHobo said:
" @natetodamax said:
You forgot to add that, the majority of the population are idiots.
MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MetalGearSunny
@Br3adfan: You should talk to teenagers more. Many teenagers believe that based on looks they are in love. Luckily, I'm smart enough to know that love is when you're with someone who sticks with you til' the end, no matter what. 

Alright, Dr. Phil is done here. =P
MrAwsum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By MrAwsum

It seems to be lately, Love just turns around and beats the living shit outta you.  

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By flaminghobo
@FluxWaveZ said:
" I disagree with your statement.  Love is a subjective emotion, much like happiness or sadness: those feelings are different for everyone.  The same things that make you sad or angry could possibly make me happy.  I am not capable of falling in love as I see it as pointless, but I do not believe it's because I'm blind to it. "
Yes, I agree that love is a subjective emotion. Though you do make an interesting point, I hadn't thought about that at the time of writing the response, which is strange since I actually believe in the concept you spoke of.
RLLink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By RLLink
@Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
" @Br3adfan: You should talk to teenagers more. Many teenagers believe that based on looks they are in love. Luckily, I'm smart enough to know that love is when you're with someone who sticks with you til' the end, no matter what.  Alright, Dr. Phil is done here. =P "
I agree with this. It's not only teenagers either, it's the same with adults.
Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By MachoFantastico

No, she can see perfectly well. Was speaking to her only earlier.  

oh you mean't 'that' love....

RipTheVeins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RipTheVeins

I used to hear the phrase "love is blind" a lot, and I always interpreted it as love not discriminating against physical traits, but the meaning insinuated in that quote is a lot different than that, so I'm not sure what to make of it.  Perhaps it is trying to asses that you can not possibly know what love is until it happens to you, in which case I have to agree.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#20  Edited By rjayb89

Love is a way to get a woman in bed.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By HandsomeDead

I don't know. I've never been in love. 

;_;

ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ahriman22
@natetodamax said:
" @FlamingHobo said:
" @natetodamax said:
You've observed teenage love, not actual love.

Love is totally not blind, love may have bad eyesight, but it certainly isn't blind.
angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23  Edited By angelkanarias

No Caption Provided
anyways, love isn't totally blind
dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By dbz1995

Somebody went on Facebook interviews, didn't they?

@RLLink said:

" @Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
" @Br3adfan: You should talk to teenagers more. Many teenagers believe that based on looks they are in love. Luckily, I'm smart enough to know that love is when you're with someone who sticks with you til' the end, no matter what.  Alright, Dr. Phil is done here. =P "
I agree with this. It's not only teenagers either, it's the same with adults. "

I'm 14 and I know what MGS is sayin' is legit. Love is the opposite of science, if you think about it like that. When you look at a table, you think:

A) Look! A table.
B) Why the hell am I thinking about a table
C) Mmm pie/cake
D) OI! Laura! Get your ass over here now! Its time to have some fun!

However, you don't think that within that table there are smaller things which are made of smaller things which are made of smaller things which are made of smaller things, do you? If love is blind, and science is not, that means that they work in exact opposites. If you look at somebody, and they look good, you are only seeing that because of brain responses and light and all that shabang. Therefore, outward appearance is not love. Amirite? 

This means that science and religion work together, as I think it was Einstein who said 'Science without religion is blind (which therefore is incorrect), and religion without science is lame (therefore meaning that they work together)

Amirite?
Amirite?
Amirite?

AMIRITE?!?

angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By angelkanarias
@ahriman22 said:
" @natetodamax said:
" @FlamingHobo said:
" @natetodamax said:
You've observed teenage love, not actual love.  Love is totally not blind, love may have bad eyesight, but it certainly isn't blind. "
I totally agree with ahriman. Human beings are designed to reproduce and survive, I guess that what we understand by beautiful are those women who are perfect candidates for reproduction, but I'm just guessing in this part. Anyways the point being  that we do care for the beauty, at least a majority of us.
RLLink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By RLLink
@dbz1995: 
Of course. But you have heard of "love at first sight", correct? Some people tend to mention this quite a bit. Instead of actually getting to know the person, they say that they're 'in love' already. I find that to be bs, but that's just my opinion.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jeust
@FluxWaveZ said:
" I disagree with your statement.  Love is a subjective emotion, much like happiness or sadness: those feelings are different for everyone.  The same things that make you sad or angry could possibly make me happy.  I am not capable of falling in love as I see it as pointless, but I do not believe it's because I'm blind to it. "
I agree, but there are many types of love. 

Possibly, 

@FlamingHobo
said:   
"Love is blind, to those who refuse to see it."

means a broader concept of love. Love, also hate and intolerance, are everywhere. But diferent kinds of love. 

That is a good answer on those grounds. 

About falling in love, have you ever fall in love? 

You should try it, if only to know the experience.  

It's awesome, but also sad, many times. 

Cheers
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#28  Edited By breadfan
@Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
Well being 18 I have had some experience with a little thing called adolescence.  There is a difference between middle school crushes that are blown out of proportion and real love. 

You make a decent Dr. Phil by the way.
MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MetalGearSunny
@Br3adfan said: 
 There is a difference between middle school crushes that are blown out of proportion and real love.  You make a decent Dr. Phil by the way. "
That's exactly what I'm talking about. And thanks. ;)
artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By artofwar420
@rjayb89 said:
"Love is a way to get the same woman in bed for half a century. "

There I fixed it.
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@Jeust: That's what I said.  Love is a subjective experience so not everyone will mentally approach or handle love the same way or see it the same.  I'm aware enough to know what love entails and I have no interest in it, therefore I have no interest in love.
damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By damnboyadvance

Love these days isn't blind, but has an obscured vision. People getting together just because the other looks good. Having sex, getting married, then breaking up. Or maybe not even getting married. The way I see it, what matters isn't just whats on the outside, but also on the inside.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By flaminghobo

Reading a couple of these posts has made me interpret the question in a different manner. Perhaps love is blind to the naked eye, and can only be felt. Thus, those that base their claim to love, could only be true if they did not base their statement purely on physical traits. Sorry if this is poorly worded, it was a spontaneous thought.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MetalGearSunny
@FlamingHobo said:
"  Reading a couple of these posts has made me interpret the question in a different manner. Perhaps love is blind to the naked eye, and can only be felt. Thus, those that base their claim to love, could only be true if they did not base their statement purely on physical traits. 
This is true, but you can also fell a crush emotionally. There is a big difference between a crush and love in my opinion. 

Why the hell am I even talking about shit like this?
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Jeust
@FluxWaveZ:  

I understand.  But you may one day change your mind... :p 

@FlamingHobo said:
"  Reading a couple of these posts has made me interpret the question in a different manner. Perhaps love is blind to the naked eye, and can only be felt. Thus, those that base their claim to love, could only be true if they did not base their statement purely on physical traits. Sorry if this is poorly worded, it was a spontaneous thought. "
Love can also be seen. You can see someone being affectionate. 

Love can be born from desire too, i think.
Demo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Demo

Hell no, I have standards.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By flaminghobo
@Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
" @FlamingHobo said:
"  Reading a couple of these posts has made me interpret the question in a different manner. Perhaps love is blind to the naked eye, and can only be felt. Thus, those that base their claim to love, could only be true if they did not base their statement purely on physical traits. 
This is true, but you can also fell a crush emotionally. There is a big difference between a crush and love in my opinion.  Why the hell am I even talking about shit like this? "
I don't know, why are you talking about shit like this?
AzureSupernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By AzureSupernova

I'd say love is pretty blind, as well as deaf. At the end of the day it all comes down to what you think love is and whether or not you've actually been in love.
RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By RetroIce4
@natetodamax said:
" @girdz said:
" @natetodamax said:
Not in my city, at some point a teenage girl would get pregnant. "
I should probably add that. I know a person in my school that has a child. "
My friend said this girl got pregnant in the theater. Wtf?! (I hope he was kidding)
Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Griddler
@RetroIce4: That doesn't surprise me, my friend got a BJ at the cinema and I'm sure people go further than that all the time.
raegunz_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By raegunz_

to me, "love is blind" means it finds no faults. you love someone to the point that they could walk all over you, drag you through mud, cheat on you, etc etc, and yet your heart still beats for them.

Avatar image for outofbounds9000
OutOfBounds9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#43  Edited By OutOfBounds9000

Is love blind?Baby dont hurt me....
ErgoProxy77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#44  Edited By ErgoProxy77
@FlamingHobo: An interesting question indeed.  I think love is not blind.  I think it is another way to see.
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By eroticfishcake

I'm not entirely sure how to answer this since I've never gotten any experience in it.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#46  Edited By Video_Game_King

To paraphrase Mike Judge, love is not only blind, but mildly retarded, as well.

sgjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#47  Edited By sgjackson

Love is something people like to try to figure out, while I'll just enjoy it when it comes.