Is the Watchmen movie going to be any good?

• 66 results
Stanford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Stanford
Ryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Ryu
Stanford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Stanford

I hope its going to be good because I really liked the book, but somethings really worry me.  For one, i saw like 5 explosions in the trailers and thats 5 more then I remember in the entire book.  Also, My Chemical Romance has a song in the movie, so that could be a bad sign also.  I don't know.  I really liked the Watchmen, but most movies based on books have been bad.  what do you all think?

Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Bullet_Jr

It's going to be amazing. I've even been getting fresh with the girl who works the movie theater just so I can get tickets early.

Stanford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Stanford
Bullet_Jr said:
"It's going to be amazing. I've even been getting fresh with the girl who works the movie theater just so I can get tickets early."

Good for you?
strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#6  Edited By strangeling

I hope yes.

It won't be good in the same way the comic was, but it could be a good movie in its own right.
I just hope the story retains the same feel.
I am confident it will at least look sweet, thanks to Zack Snyder's direction.
teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By teh_destroyer
Stanford said:
"I hope its going to be good because I really liked the book, but somethings really worry me.  For one, i saw like 5 explosions in the trailers and thats 5 more then I remember in the entire book.  Also, My Chemical Romance has a song in the movie, so that could be a bad sign also.  I don't know.  I really liked the Watchmen, but most movies based on books have been bad.  what do you all think?"
SO,its going to fail because of a song?
Stanford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Stanford

No, its just not the type of music I would expect

Ryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ryu

I think he was just playing man ;), but MCR do suck...

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By Snail
Stanford said:
"I hope its going to be good because I really liked the book, but somethings really worry me.  For one, i saw like 5 explosions in the trailers and thats 5 more then I remember in the entire book.  Also, My Chemical Romance has a song in the movie, so that could be a bad sign also.  I don't know.  I really liked the Watchmen, but most movies based on books have been bad.  what do you all think?"
Movies on comic books have been pretty good lately. With Iron Man and The Dark Knight.
teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By teh_destroyer

I have only seen The Smashing Pumpkins and Muse used for the 2 trailers available so far,unless i am missing another video ot there somewhere.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By RHCPfan24

I say yes. With Zack Snyder and the massive publicity at the helm, it seems like a sure hit.

trulyalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 17

#13  Edited By trulyalive

Yeah but it's not MCR playing MCR, it's MCR playing Bob Dylan and if Dylans music had it's place in the comic books.
Anyway, I'm gonna go with: No. This film will suck. Don't get me wrong, the first 2 hours will rock, but then when they've changed the ending and completely miss the point, everyone's just gonna look up at the screen and go "Whaa?"

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#14  Edited By citizenkane

It looks awesome to me so far.

Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Bullet_Jr
Stanford said:
"Bullet_Jr said:
"It's going to be amazing. I've even been getting fresh with the girl who works the movie theater just so I can get tickets early."

Good for you?"
I have my priorities straight and this movie is high up on the list.
Duke_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By Duke_Lion

I don't know if they changed the ending that much.  The ending is not that confusing, I don't know why people say it is.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17  Edited By jakob187

Well, I guess we'll find out on March 6th, now won't we?  Until then, we're not mind readers nor as we time travelers (although I'm sure MooseMan and Sweep would claim they are).

Win

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Win
Stanford said:
SPOILERS

I just finished re-reading watchmen, so I found it pretty easy to remember 5 explosions in the book off the top of my head. 

1. Jon exploding one dude's face
2. Jon himself blowing up
3. Explosions when Jon is in Vietnam
4. The nuke exploding in Daniel's dream while he is kissing Laurie
5. The squid

...and couple more. Plus it's a movie trailer, they will try to give the impression of the most action possible within the 1-2 mins. I think the movie looks great and it's managing to hold on the the source material quite wonderfully (minus the ending, but that is more a person opinion on how much you are going to miss the squid.)

And yes MCR does suck.
Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By Hexpane

I must be watching the wrong trailer, it looks like out takes from Smallville to me

Avatar image for gobiasindustries
GobiasIndustries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By GobiasIndustries

The trailers were pretty cool.

But so were the trailers for 300...

Lots of flash and no substance

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21  Edited By jakob187
GobiasIndustries said:
"The trailers were pretty cool.

Lots of flash and no substance"
As compared to an 86 page book, if even that long?  The book had little substance and was more a work of art than anything.  The movie tried to do the same thing and achieved wonderfully on expanding the story from the book as well as using references from the actual events at the battle.  So...what is the problem?  The movie was about 300 doods that took on the Persian army.  It's war.  It's all flash, and who needs the fucking substance?
Now, for a movie like Watchmen, I understand that it's all substance and little flash...but regardless, I doubt that Snyder's gonna fuck this up.  My only problem is going to be if he puts a million pounds of slo-mo into the flick.
Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22  Edited By Optiow

I hope so, but i have yet to read the book.
But I hear the book is good, so yeah the movie will be to I think.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Linkyshinks

I bloody hope so, I am sick of let downs in respect to such tie ins

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheFreeMan

It better be. The trailers look great so my hopes are high.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

jakob187 said:
My only problem is going to be if he puts a million pounds of slo-mo into the flick.
Well, you've seen 300.  And you've seen the Watchmen trailers.  So you know the answer.

When every other shot in the trailer is in slow motion, it's time to ready the facepalms.  I fucking hate Zack Snyder.  I hated 300, and I'm going to hate this film. 
Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By Black_Rose

I was unimpressed with the trailer and probably will dislike it, however i think it's going to be good if you like the comic.

Virago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Virago

It's going to be good for people who've never read the GN.
it's going to SUCK for the rest of us.

TheDrifter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TheDrifter

I wanted to see this than I found out we're gonna see Lil' Manhattan...

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By TomA

I hear the book is good but i refuse to read it,I don't want to be like everybody else,so i',m sticking to my goddamn Michelle West(Hunter's Oath) and Max Brooks(World War Z)

Virago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Virago
TomA said:
"I hear the book is good but i refuse to read it,I don't want to be like everybody else,so i',m sticking to my goddamn Michelle West(Hunter's Oath) and Max Brooks(World War Z)"
well you enjoy your ignorance.
The rest of us will laugh at you behind your back.
Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Systech
Virago said:
"TomA said:
"I hear the book is good but i refuse to read it,I don't want to be like everybody else,so i',m sticking to my goddamn Michelle West(Hunter's Oath) and Max Brooks(World War Z)"
well you enjoy your ignorance.
The rest of us will laugh at you behind your back."
Agreed, but I think the movie will be fine.
Virago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Virago
systech said:
Agreed, but I think the movie will be fine."
I'm hoping so. I've heard the end is going to be changed, though.  =\
Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Bullet_Jr
Virago said:
"systech said:
Agreed, but I think the movie will be fine."
I'm hoping so. I've heard the end is going to be changed, though.  =\"
It pretty much would have to be changed. The story in the book would not have translated very well in a movie.

Because there is a Watchmen movie at all, it will not be a disappointment.
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Rowr

If they leave in the existing ending, the movie will get so panned by the public (yet glorified by the critics)

I dunno, while certainly good for making you question yourself, the ending is not a good ending by story standards. It's just not reinforced enough one way or the other. Endings should give answers. It was almost lazy.

God i dunno im still torn.

TheDrifter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TheDrifter

However, the book was awesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rowr said:
"If they leave in the existing ending, the movie will get so panned by the public (yet glorified by the critics)

I dunno, while certainly good for making you question yourself, the ending is not a good ending by story standards. It's just not reinforced enough one way or the other. Endings should give answers. It was almost lazy.

God i dunno im still torn."
I don't know, Rowr.  The whole book is about the undermining and the criticism of superhero culture.  So when the Smartest Man on Earth unleashes his master plan, and it turns out to be a fucking Giant Squid . . . I'd say that's commentary on the deification of superheroes. 

Then again, you're right.  General public would have seen the slimy bastard and walked out of the film.  Who knows. 
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Rowr
Sir_Ragnarok said:
"Rowr said:
"If they leave in the existing ending, the movie will get so panned by the public (yet glorified by the critics)

God i dunno im still torn."
I don't know, Rowr.  The whole book is about the undermining and the criticism of superhero culture.  So when the Smartest Man on Earth unleashes his master plan, and it turns out to be a fucking Giant Squid . . . I'd say that's commentary on the deification of superheroes. 

Then again, you're right.  General public would have seen the slimy bastard and walked out of the film.  Who knows. "
Heh, not even talking in that regard. TBH the squid didnt bother me in the least, I mean it wasnt about it being a squid. Im not going to pretend to know what deification means, but i definitely found that there were no heroes in that story, just people and people becoming monsters.

Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#39  Edited By granderojo
TomA said:
all you need to know is...

It is a comic that won a pultzer prize....

It is amazing literature...you never see the ending coming.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Like all movies based on a graphic novel it tries to be art *as jakob has put it* when its not, Sincity, 300 and such just weren't that good from the annoying overthe top well every thing directly from the novels, Give me a comic book I read a comic book for a comic book not for a novel graphic novels are the mixture of comics and books that never should have been.
thankfully now anime novela are taking over the scene and people wont take it serious any more.

*the above is opinion and constitutes no claims and or agreements*

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Rowr

We arent turning this into a "what is Art" thread are we?

Who cares if it is Art.

Fuck Art.

insanegamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#42  Edited By insanegamer

well the book is incredible and the director and the cast look icredible and the trailers have been good i am hoping it will be good and i think its going to be awesome.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Hexpane
GobiasIndustries said:

I tried to sit through 300 again this weekend, its so fucking awful and I love Frank Miller graphic novels.    Anytime you have McNulty as your villain, you know the movie is going to suck major ass.  See the new Punisher movie as another example
Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Bullet_Jr
Hexpane said:
"GobiasIndustries said:

I tried to sit through 300 again this weekend, its so fucking awful and I love Frank Miller graphic novels.    Anytime you have McNulty as your villain, you know the movie is going to suck major ass.  See the new Punisher movie as another example"
You guys sure like to bitch alot. I thought that the 300 movie was great, obviously it couldn't BE the graphic novel but you shouldn't really complain.

I mean, I KNOW that the Watchmen movie isn't going to follow the graphic novel to the letter, but we're getting a goddamn movie.

I think comic book and game enthusiasts need to know our place when it comes to movies being made about our favorite stories.

The comic book/videogame/movie industry owes us nothing.
Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Bulldog19892
Stanford said:
Where the fuck did you get that from? Some of the greatest movies of all time were adapted from books. (The Godfather anyone?)
teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By teh_destroyer
Sir_Ragnarok said:
"jakob187 said:
My only problem is going to be if he puts a million pounds of slo-mo into the flick.
Well, you've seen 300.  And you've seen the Watchmen trailers.  So you know the answer.

When every other shot in the trailer is in slow motion, it's time to ready the facepalms.  I fucking hate Zack Snyder.  I hated 300, and I'm going to hate this film. "
Do you realise that this is only Snyder's 3rd film?For it being only his 3rd movie he is doing rather well so far.Besides,you know what they say,3rd time is a charm.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

teh_destroyer said:
"Sir_Ragnarok said:
"jakob187 said:

When every other shot in the trailer is in slow motion, it's time to ready the facepalms.  I fucking hate Zack Snyder.  I hated 300, and I'm going to hate this film. "
Do you realise that this is only Snyder's 3rd film?For it being only his 3rd movie he is doing rather well so far.Besides,you know what they say,3rd time is a charm."
It depends on what you regard as "well."

I mean, it all comes down to taste, hence my usage of the pronoun "I", but I don't really feel Snyder is as fucking visionary as the media likes to make him out to be. 

I mean, all three of his films have been either remakes or adaptations.  In 300, the directorial work was basically done for him.  He just lifted the shots straight from the novel; of course, this isn't counting that horrid Queen subplot, because that looked like amateur filmmaking at its most banal. 
Virago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Virago
teh_destroyer said:
"Sir_Ragnarok said:
Besides,you know what they say,3rd time is a charm."
Except for Spiderman 3, Halloween 3, Godfather 3, Jurassic Park 3, Matrix 3, Terminator 3, and Bring it on 3 (in all fairness the first ones were shite too).
So uh... wooo, go watchmen!
Avatar image for gobiasindustries
GobiasIndustries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By GobiasIndustries

I've been meaning to read the GN actually, it seems badass.

Definitely going to avoid this movie though.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Rowr

If you dont like 300 you are not a real man = fact.