• 68 results
#51 Posted by Rahf (472 posts) -

"That's racist."

Didn't mind it before. Grown adverse to it now. People are, through the instinctive use and sheer frequency, genuinely programming themselves to react when a person in conversation is called Chinese, or Vietnamese, or Japanese, or whatever-ese. It is unfunny and nowadays said as a non-creative retort when someone has expressed a truly benign and/or informed opinion.

#52 Posted by Jesus_Phish (3702 posts) -

All of Twitterspeak, basically. "bad/hot/spicy take", "oof", "yikes", "this ain't it chief" "big mood". I just find all of it absolutely insufferable, which means I barely ever look at Twitter. Even very intelligent people I generally enjoy listening to like Austin Walker and Alex use all of it way too much. As soon as one dumb phrase stops being used, new ones take their place. It's a never ending cycle of nonsense.

All of these and add in "same" and "miss me with X". I feel bad because I think I'm just describing Austin Walkers Twitter feed, but I really hate reading all that stuff and it makes me roll my eyes. There's a podcast made by an Irish guy called The Blindboy Podcast and he is constantly talking about having "Hot Takes", "Magma Takes", "Scorching Hot Takes" and it just drove me away from listening.

Also I hate that "meme" is now slowly starting to replace "joke". I've seen people saying "I was just making a meme" instead of "I was just joking".

I also agree with several others already mentioned. If something is "problematic", just say what the damn problem is. You think it's either racist or sexist or something else. Saying it's "problematic" is so non-committed.

Anyone referring to Uber or the gig economy as a "being on that Uber hustle". You're playing right into the idea that Uber and the entire gig economy isn't a problem and that it's something cool and hip.

#53 Posted by ATastySlurpee (612 posts) -

@atastyslurpee: I am glad that you brought this up. I hear "it is what it is" at work regularly. Especially from one of my closest friends at the office, and I'm too polite to tell her to stop. It is always after discussing something that is bothering the person (my friend or otherwise), and is used as a means of giving up without admitting that the individual is giving up.

Either fight, or admit that you aren't going to do so. Don't try to hide behind a defeatist phrase as though it explains why the issue cannot be changed.

You said it better than me haha

#54 Posted by soulcake (2456 posts) -

There has being a trend definitely in the US where the phrases "are you willing to die on this hill" or something like that, that makes me angry it's a bad point to make when you want to end a "political dialogue", i never use to hear this thing a few years back, now it's all over the place in US media forums, twitter etc. I NEVER see someone use this in mainland Europe, so i can't wait for this phrases to fly over..... a few months from now.

Since i am ranting anyway might as well keep this going, people using cancer is a word to make something look bad is fucked up IMO stuff like "X is cancer" How can something be a disease, as a cancer survivor this definitely drives me up the wall :D.

Also people using the phrase " the thing is" i am probably guilty of this one, you should listen to a podcast and try and number how many time people say "the thing is" IT WILL DRIVE YOU NUTS.

#55 Posted by soulcake (2456 posts) -

@onemanarmyy: Yup as someone who speaks dutch this definitely drives me up the wall. Especially if you work in IT day in and day out and you have to use the word "Wee Fee" for people to understand you're talking about WIFI. For some reason the word Wee Fee reminds me of Bifi the bad meat snack (don't know if they have those horrible things in the Netherlands.)

#56 Posted by Onemanarmyy (3966 posts) -

@soulcake: yeah we have bifi here. I actually don't mind them. :)

#57 Posted by The_Greg (479 posts) -

"It is what it is" irks me to no end. Its basically giving a blanket excuse for something

I don't think this is as much an excuse as just accepting your fate in a situation. 'Someone crashed into my car and it has been written off. There's not much I can do, it is what it is'.

There's a lot of things people say around here that kind of irritate me. They don't anger me, or make me think any less of the person, but they do make me squirm.

The two that immediately come to mind are:

'In the market for...' - It was said a couple of times on last week's Bombcast and it went through me a little. Why can't you just say you did/didn't want something?

'I've invested in...' - This is usually used when talking about buying new parts or peripherals for a PC. 'I'm thinking about investing in a new GPU'. Is it an investment? Will you be seeing a return on that money you spent? No. You're buying it.

In fairness, language is pretty ridiculous and everyone uses it differently. I say things all the time that people probably hate, and I often catch myself saying something that I don't like to hear other people say.

#58 Posted by Efesell (4060 posts) -

Really learning from this thread that you can't say anything that won't irritate someone irrationally so really just continue on as you always have.

#59 Posted by Brendan (9206 posts) -

I'm with most people on here that roll my eyes at "twitter speak". "Big dick energy" "big mood" "spicy take" etc. I roll my eyes because everybody trying to copy each others unnatural phrases immediately looks like people desperately trying to fit in and it's so cringeworthy.

I get where the response to the person who has an issue with people saying "folks" is coming from (it being non-gendered) but everyone saying "ya'll" like they're straight off a farm in rural kentucky seems like another lame put-on. None of this stuff actually matters enough to me to stop following or even think about it that much but I can't help but dislike it.

#60 Posted by billmcneal (1157 posts) -

I get tired of hearing "It is what it is." I hear it a lot in sports interviews

#61 Posted by Efesell (4060 posts) -

@brendan: Y'all is the same way though, it's just another convenient non-gendered way of referring to people. Re-purposed maybe but to a very good end.

#62 Posted by The_Greg (479 posts) -

@efesell said:

Really learning from this thread that you can't say anything that won't irritate someone irrationally so really just continue on as you always have.

It is what it is.

#63 Posted by liquiddragon (3162 posts) -

"A better question is..."

Oh really? Is it really a better question or is it just another question you piggybacked off of someone else's?

#64 Posted by Big_Denim (755 posts) -

@thursday1977: I always thought of 'underwhelmed' in the context of someone who had some sort of pre-existing positive expectation for said product. It is akin to saying you're 'let down' by something.

So, I can walk into a movie I've been looking forward to for a year, and leave feeling underwhelmed.
Where as, if I walk into a movie I've never even heard of before, I may leave unimpressed, but I wouldn't say I was underwhelmed by it.

For me, I'm not sure it totally fits the intent of the topic, but Twitch chat lingo really irritates me. I don't have much of a problem with people posting a meme of some dude's face to express reactions to something I guess. But to assign names to these memes, and then actually write out the phrase (monkaS, PogChamp, etc.) is just...I don't know. I can't express what I'm feeling, but I hate it. I'm scared to have kids next year. They will be growing up in a world where Twitch and Streamer culture is a "normal" thing. That frightens me for a hundred different reasons that I can't yet formulate into coherent thoughts or sentences quite yet.

#65 Posted by oldenglishc (1535 posts) -

Pretty much the entirety of twitter speak. With a little extra hatred for "my dude" and the "my beautiful internet son/daughter/dad" fucking thing that people do and think is hilarious.

(Now I'm off to enjoy the early bird dinner at Bill Knapp's.)

#66 Posted by pweidman (2818 posts) -

People calling a game/thing a "dumpster fire" is one that annoys me. It strikes me as just a dumb metaphor, and it's far too thoughtless, disrespectful, and flip.

#67 Posted by nutter (1608 posts) -

@soulcake: I can say I’m pushing 40 and from New England, and I haven’t noticed an upward trend in “are you prepared to die on that hill.”

I’ve heard it pretty regularly (again, around New England), going back to the 80s.

This stuff is always curious. It is regional, generational, exposure, the influence of the Internet...

Even within a region, the number of times I’ve confused old and young co-workers alike by noting that prolonged “navel-gazing” isn’t getting us anywhere blows my mind.

This stuff interests me...

#68 Posted by nutter (1608 posts) -

@brendan: Internet is making cultures bleed together and creating new ones.

While I think that’s fucking cool, I think the byproduct tends to suck (twitterspeak, for example).

Language evolves. I long ago ditched my MLA handbook in favor of a mindset where, if you successfully convey an idea, language worked. If you wrote everything to form and failed to deliver a message...what’s the point?

Being 22 and working in an office was this crazy revelation to me. E-mails were all broken english, phrases, no proper sentences, etc. My manager would chastise my very well prepare prose as “too many words,” and proceed to chop it up, and make half of it bold, italic, and red. The textbook illiteracy of the officeplace was an interesting revelation. Yes, language evolves. For better or worse, it changes and you need to change with it.