Is there a website or somewhere to buy cheap comic books?

Why_So_Serious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Why_So_Serious

So I have been a huge Batman and Spider-Man fan for awhile. I've followed both series pretty well, seen all the movies, watched both animated series, played all the games etc. but one thing I have never gotten to do is to read the comics and really get to know more about the storylines. I don't have a comic book store near me, it went out of business about 1-2 years ago. Idk where they are even sold. So is there a place to buy them online? And will it cost me a lot of money or are they relatively cheap?

Avatar image for captaintightpants
CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By CaptainTightPants

You might be better off asking about this over at Comic Vine, all I know is that Trade Paperbacks are a relatively cheap option instead of buying individual comics. You can find a lot of trade paperbacks of the older Batman and Spiderman Comics out there for $20-ish.

You can buy some from places like Amazon

hinderk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By hinderk

Try checking your local library for trades. That's where I started.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

I think that you can buy comics for cheaper through the apps.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By Undeadpool

@Why_So_Serious: Most public libraries are smart enough to stock trade paperbacks, so you can try before you buy. Other than that, just do a Google search and you can compare/contrast prices.

Why_So_Serious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Why_So_Serious

How do I know which comics are like the beginning of the series and which are newer/closer to end? I want to start at the beginning.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

@Why_So_Serious: I think that would be a question for Comic Vine, there are hundreds of comics for each hero and many story arcs. Im sure they would be more than happy to recommend you some of their favourites.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Why_So_Serious said:
How do I know which comics are like the beginning of the series and which are newer/closer to end? I want to start at the beginning.

@Why_So_Serious: Use the internet to find good runs, and where they begin/end and then buy the trades when they are released )for a fraction of the price it would cost for all the comics). 

Just to give you an example, I heard there was a great X-Men run a few years back, so I googled the writer and found which issues they ran from.
JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By JCTango
@Why_So_Serious said:
One thing you'll soon realize in the comics realm - unless you plan on spending an astronomical amount of funds to collect a complete series of all things published about your favourite superhero/villain, you're better off just collecting a select amount of series.  There are just way too many iterations and re-iterations of stories and universes that you'll go insane from trying to keep up with it all.  The publishers do this in order to milk the most money out of their characters and events.

That said though, if you'd really want to get into collecting it all, you'll have to do some background research and find out the correct reading lists for all the arcs you wish to keep.

Good luck :D.

PS:  As mentioned before, trade paperbacks may be a good option for you to look into if you're planning on just starting out on this endeavour.
SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By SSully

@Why_So_Serious said:

With comics there are multiple series for the same character written by different people and drawn by different artists. I believe The Amazing Spiderman is the first series for spiderman, and obviously you would start with Issue 1 if you wanted to do that.

I am not a comic expert but a good way to get into old series is to just buy collections.

http://www.amazon.com/Amazing-Spider-Man-Vol-Marvel-Masterworks/dp/0785136924/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311526205&sr=8-1

That for example is the first Volume of the amazing spiderman. It is crap from a collectors view point, but for someone just wanting to read the comics it is perfect. They have these kinds of collections for everything pretty much.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Book stores stock comics now.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By penguindust
DevWil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By DevWil
Why_So_Serious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Why_So_Serious

Thanls for all the replies guys! This has been insanely helpful!!!
nelander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By nelander

they charge average price but you can also try www.comicpull.com if you live in the USA or Canada