It's been a while...

d0x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 8

Edited By d0x

I think it's time I start writing my gaming thoughts down again, I used to be in games journalism so when I left for greener pastures I stopped. Before we go any further there will be typos and grammar mistakes... sorry

I've been playing Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice on PC, don't worry I won't spoil anything. The first thing I want to say is how good the game looks maxed out running at 4k60. All its missing is HDR which could have enhanced alot of the alpha effects that serve as hallucinations.

The reason im bringing the game up is because I completely disagree with the praise it's gotten but probably not for the reasons you would think.

Every site and YouTuber has praised the game for showing an excellent depiction of schizophrenia and how it might be to live with the disease.

I disagree quite a bit with that sentiment. Through my life I've considered 2 people with the disease family and another 3 as close to friends as you can really get with someone who doesn't truly know the world.

I've heard the disease described during brief lucid moments many times and while Hellblade gets some things right it also gets alot wrong. It's far too complex an issue to go into but it's just something that has bothered me.

The game itself is thus far a good experience as long as I can push the schizophrenia aspects out of my mind, they hit too close to home especially with 2 deaths that happened far too young.

Definitely play the game, it's well worth your $30 and this along with Lawbreakers could be the start of the middle market returning to gaming which means more original IP and innovation.

So enjoy the game, feel for Senua and what she is going through but ignore the "hype" when it comes to the game tackling mental illness in a meaningful way. I'm not saying it doesn't hit certain beats because it does but it's not...it's not true to the nature of the disease. There isn't anything wrong with that and it's not ninja theorys fault. The blame lies with the press.

If you ever get the chance I highly suggest doing some volunteer work with people suffering from this disorder. It might change your life...I know it changed mine.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jesus_Phish

@d0x said:

Every site and YouTuber has praised the game for showing an excellent depiction of schizophrenia and how it might be to live with the disease.

I've heard the disease described during brief lucid moments many times and while Hellblade gets some things right it also gets alot wrong. It's far too complex an issue to go into but it's just something that has bothered me.

The game itself is thus far a good experience as long as I can push the schizophrenia aspects out of my mind, they hit too close to home especially with 2 deaths that happened far too young.

So enjoy the game, feel for Senua and what she is going through but ignore the "hype" when it comes to the game tackling mental illness in a meaningful way. I'm not saying it doesn't hit certain beats because it does but it's not...it's not true to the nature of the disease. There isn't anything wrong with that and it's not ninja theorys fault. The blame lies with the press.

Just one thing to point out - if Youtubers are telling you the game is about schizophrenia then they're wrong. The game is about psychosis, something that schizophrenia can cause - but Senua isn't a schizophrenic. Her psychosis is caused by other factors in her life which the game explains.

So perhaps you're just looking at it from the wrong view point, that you're expecting it to cover a cause of psychosis that it never intended to.

Also - spoilers for completing the game - the game never tries to wrap up with her being cured or "fixed" but instead is about how people with psychosis can achieve meaningful things despite society perceiving that they're "broken". It'd have been a million times worse if through the course of an 8 hour video game the character is suddenly "cured".

d0x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 8

You make a good point when it comes to pyschosis and I haven't finished the game yet. My issue is simply the praise it's getting for being an accurate portrayal of mental health but the game itself plays out more like an acid trip, at least so far.

I realize my post is kind of...odd. Why let something like that bother me? I'm still trying to figure that one out and perhaps when I finish i will have an answer for myself.

It just hits home really hard. 2 friends died due to mental illness, neither were suicide either at least not directly.

Thanks for the comment, its going to drive me to finish the game quicker. I believe I'm about 60% through it right now. Perhaps I can find the time to finish tonight

giliad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By giliad

Might give it a check out if I get round to it

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

If someone wants a good depiction of schizophrenia in media, they should watch A Beautiful Mind. Like others said, Hellblade doesn't tackle schitzophrenia specifically. They seem to certainly have had multiple psychologists/psychiatrists throughout the dev process overlooking the project and praising them for their depictions of what they were going for, for what it's worth.

Vicent8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Vicent8

Your suggestion is good.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers