It's been such a long time...

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By jakob187

IT'S BEEN SUCH A LOOOOOONG TIIIIIIIIME!!!

Hello, Giant Bomb Community.

Hello, dear old friends.

Long ago, in a very different day and age, I used to live on these forums. I used to eat, live, and breathe video games. I even worked at a LAN gaming center here in my hometown of Waco, TX.

Then...I disappeared. I moved into the warehousing industry, and my free time became shorter. I spent more and more time playing Magic The Gathering than I did video games, but I still slung the keys on Diablo and Path of Exile.

Then I basically quit playing video games that weren't on mobile, because I wasn't at home much.

Then I quit playing Magic.

All because of two main things: I grew up, and I found the genuine love of my life. Let me tell you: she is a damn incredible woman that lights my world up.

I found purpose.

But every once in a while, I come back to these forums and look around. I dig into the old times.

The other day, I made a reference with my girlfriend in the living room while I was playing Super Smash Bros Ultimate and Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike. I was getting my ass kicked by my 12 year old (because Sora is OP as fuck), and I said "FUCK RYAN DAVIS" in jest. She asked "who the hell is Ryan Davis?"

So I introduced her to our old friend. Then I found Jean Boudin on BLLSL, Gary Whitta talking on the Big Red Phone, the wiki pages. I introduced her to Will Smith's Cum Face, how Drew was the originator of the blinking meme.

I found Street Fighter IV fights between me and LordofUltima on YouTube (if you wanna watch them, it's jakob187 vs loltima). I remembered Sweep telling us about the quality of upcoming movies that he was working on. ZombiePie's blogs. Humanity's fantastic posts. Biff's dumb shitposts.

Fuck, I miss this place.

However, we all grow up.

I'm sure this will get locked up for having no discussion value, but that's fine.

Part of me wanted to stop by and tell old friends: "I'm doing great in life, and I hope you are too."

<>

P.S. How am I still #4 on Top Forum Posters? Y'all gotta start posting more. =P

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Hello! If nothing else, it's great to hear that you disappeared from this corner of the internet for good, positive reasons!

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Hey I know this guy!

Keep on keeping on <>

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

Just said "Holy Shit" out loud when I saw that Joe avatar. Been a long time, duder.

Glad you're doing well. <>

Avatar image for lapsariangiraff
lapsariangiraff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Oh man, I remember seeing your pfp everywhere back in even '09. Glad you're doing well!

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some Advice Is Needed

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

YOOOOOOOOOOOOO! JAKOB! You still super into Cammy?

We need to see if we can get an update from @claude or @dalai next. I WANT CLAUDE AND DALAI TO TELL ME HOW THEY FEEL ABOUT THE SWITCH!

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

We never spoke directly, but good to know you're doing well! The forums are MUCH quieter than they were 10 years ago which explains your top #4 status.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I miss people like you, and Hamz, and Dalai.

Fuck, at this rate I'd even take KaosAngel back

Actually no I take that back. You can't prove I asked for KA to come back.

HitmanAgent for mod

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

P.S. How am I still #4 on Top Forum Posters? Y'all gotta start posting more. =P

Of the top posters, the only one I see still posting frequently is @humanity, unless you start posting a lot more. Video_Game_King, Hailinel, and AhmadMetallic all got banned, if I remember correctly - what for, don't ask, I don't remember - and I suppose the rest just moved on. I'm #16 at this point, but I don't post anywhere near as frequently as I used to so I don't know if I'll ever overtake Claude.

I don't recall if you were around at the time, but Gamergate happened and for... what, a month? Two? Something like that, the boards were basically nothing but "discussion" of that topic. After that, Giantbomb's forums just started dwindling and now they're rather quiet. Not inactive, just not as much going on.

Giantbomb itself, however, is still quite active. There's a lot of content posted every week, of varying kinds, though many of the personalities have changed. Brad, Vinny, and Alex left the site to go form Nextlander, where they post a lot on Youtube and stream a lot on Twitch, if you want to go see them.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Always fun to see forumpeople return to say hi :)

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@justin258: It's a testament to how active the boards used to be that I have been fairly active up until a few months ago and I've still not caught up to folks that stopped posting here 3 years ago if not more.

I tried to keep the fire burning but threads about major games getting maybe 5 replies per day eventually even made me seek greener pastures for discussion.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

Ayyyyyyyyyy!

Yeah, the forums aren't so active these days, at least not in terms of things like "discussion" in a back-and-forth way. Things get posted and people engage just fine, but from where I sit, it just seems like there isn't a ton of responses or replies.

Less a reflection on the site, it hasn't been this lively since the days of the Big Live Live Show Live, but it just seems like everyone has their own little communities (Discord and such) more than big forums.

Treat 'er right and make sure she treats you right, duder!

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

I also miss the old days of the site quite often. It is always neat when I come across someone I recognize from the older GB days though. Glad to hear you are doing well.

Broshmosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Conversely, I met the love of my life and now play more videogames than ever, because it turns out sharing a passion with a loved one is more important than finding someone who makes me want to leave my passions behind.

Please note above snarky comment is not a reflection on what I think of you (you are, after all, a complete stranger), rather noting how different lives move in different directions.

hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Man. That's a blast from the past. Glad to see stuff worked out for you!

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

That's awesome, dude! Good to hear it.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

Always good to hear from an old face! Glad you're doing well, man.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I miss Hamz and Bruce the most

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

Hi, Jakob. It's good seeing you again. I'm glad to hear you're doing well. It's a bit late, but congratulations on the family. Happy Thanksgiving.

lethalki11ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Hey bud, it's been a while :)
I miss the old GB forum days, I peek in every now and then and seeing your picture was quite the flashback :D

All love <3

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ZombiePie No word from Dalai or Claude? Man, Claude was just the best. I hope he's doing well (and still alive). Dalai was always one of my favorite avatars.

Yeah. It's weird being an old timer and seeing how things at the site have changed over the years. I don't really check anything out on here anymore, but it isn't anything due to quality. It's really just that I don't have the time.

I moved into the warehousing industry, which led to more pay...but less free time. Between that and having my girlfriend and stepsons, my free time just doesn't exist. Honestly, I wouldn't want it any other way.

Also, BTW...ALAN WAKE 2!!! WHOOOOOOOOOO!!!

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I...just learned about Nextlander. Boy, I am WAAAAY behind on things.

Kudos to those dudes, wish them well.