Jazz music recommendations, please!

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

So I will say this straight even if it's a bit dumb. I watched Whiplash recently, It's pretty fucking good. I am an amateur drum player myself, and I mean really amateur - I have my drum set, I took a year of lessons and now I can not afford it anymore so I just play along some tracks just for kicks. I have seen some jazz bands live and I loved it every time. The movie is terrific, it's obviously very focused on the drums and the music has incredible drive as a result. I got the OST.

Here is a sample if you want to give it a go. And another one because why not.

I want more. Preferably instrumental, but anything you might recommend, I will give an honest try.

Thanks!

STUVNING

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By STUVNING
MeMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Cowboy Bebop has some good Jazz

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um is probably my favorite.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stuvning: That was pretty amazing, I am difinetely exploring more of Brubeck's work. Thank you

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Justin258

I've only barely listened to any jazz but I've had a Coltrane album sitting on my computer that I've listened to a few times. I was listening to it last night, actually.

Loading Video...

I found him a little easier to get into than Miles Davis. Again, I'm saying this as someone who has hardly listened to any jazz.

TOA_Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By TOA_Doom

Well, on the topic of Mingus...

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Then of course there is Miles Davis, always a classic. You've likely heard something by him at some point, but in all likelihood you have not heard Bitches Brew.

Loading Video...

Then if you want something a little more modern, you could try The Bad Plus

Loading Video...

Also modern, but a Big Band rather than a smaller group:

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Hope you enjoy :). I love jazz, I'd be glad to share more.

reverendk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By reverendk

Really, no Soil and Pimp Sessions? Let me put on my "you probably never heard of them" hat.

They don't *really* do chilled out grooves (there are a couple). They play what they call "Death Jazz" but that's mostly the first couple of albums. The two most recent have some songs with lyrics if you don't count a Japanese man screaming into a megaphone occasionally "lyrics"

Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Oh hey, is that the theme song to Mitchiko y Hatchin? Weird how this all folds back in on itself.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Loading Video...

A be-bop classic for ya.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By soldierg654342
Avatar image for deactivated-6109c8479bb3d
deactivated-6109c8479bb3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I've always liked the Stance Brothers, but he (yes, singular, being comprised only of Teppo Mäkinen) hasn't released another full album since '07. Three obscure 7" EPs later, I haven't heard anything.

I will recommend that ONE album, Kind Soul, which I think is rock-solid from top to bottom.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

And don't be surprised by anybody who recommends the Cowboy Bebop Soundtrack. Regardless of what you may think of anime, Yoko Kanno did quite an impressive feat, which added to the overall presentation of the show. She even formed the band (Yoko Kanno and The Seatbelts) specifically for the soundtrack (I believe that's accurate). Just my two cents.

bigmess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whiplash is awesome.

I don't know enough drummers off the top of my head but here's some more obscure stuff:

Ornette Coleman, his album Free Jazz pretty much started that movement.

Herbie Hancock's Headhunters, definitely funkier than most jazz but it's an awesome album.

And if you wanna get real weird check out Naked City.

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By forkboy

@bigmess: Oh yeah, Ornette Coleman is brilliant. The Shape of Jazz To Come is something that all music aficionados should have in their collection.

diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By diz

I love John Scofield and think Dennis Chambers is the best drummer I've ever seen (and heard) play live. Here's him with Scofield playing Protocol, but they recorded a few albums together (for example Blue Matter and Loud Jazz). Another unbelievable fusion drummer is Omar Hakim, who has so many claims to fame, aside from being the original drummer of "Protocol" on Scofield's "Still Warm" album. Also, there's Al Foster, from Miles Davis' fusion period (You're Under Arrest, Decoy).

It's funny how so many of those great instrumentalists go on to huge, yet anonymous pop success. For example, Omar Hakim played on "Dire Straights'" "Brothers in Arms" album, when their original drummer couldn't cut it. Most recently; he's in with Daft Punk. Also, one bass player from the Miles Davis band (he played on the brilliant "Decoy" and "You're Under Arrest" albums) - Darryl Jones - went on to play with Sting and then on to replace Bill Wyman in the Rolling Stones.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By hassun

I hope we can all agree that this is an essential Jazz recommendation.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Avishai Cohen and Esbjörn Svensson but I don't know if that's considered too "mainstream"

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

OGJackWagon69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been thinking the same since I saw Whiplash last week, good thread OP

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

I don't fallow a lot of Jazz but i do like some Buddy Rich

Loading Video...

s80007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You could listen to Steve Cole's music. I really liked this song when I was in school.

Loading Video...

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@quipido: When I saw this topic I instantly thought of Davis, Mingus, and Bebop (Yoko Kanno is hugely underrated). But since all that was already mentioned I'll just add this video of Kurt Elling killing it on Nature Boy with the Sydney Symphony Orhcestra

Loading Video...

Drum solo for days!!!!

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

Charles Mingus made some insane music. Maynard Ferguson is more big band jazz but he was a hell of a trumpet player. His version of Birdland is really good.

amlabella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

I also saw Whiplash recently, great film. I'm loving the Charles Mingus mentions, The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady is far and away my favorite jazz album. You also can't go wrong with anything by Miles Davis. Kind of Blue is the obvious choice for him, but my favorite Miles Davis album is actually A Tribute to Jack Johnson. It's a bit more experimental with a focus on electric instruments, but the trumpet/guitar interplay is amazing.

If you're looking for drummers as band leaders in particular, Art Blakey is a good one.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#23  Edited By csl316

I've always loved anything with Wes Montgomery.

Loading Video...

Loading Video...

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#24 fisk0  Moderator

I guess pretty much all I'd pick has been mentioned at this point. Pretty much anything by Miles Davis is great, especially Bitches Brew as was mentioned earlier. E.S.T. also were really great, so it's good to see them mentioned too.

A bit more uneven, but I've really enjoyed some stuff by Musicmmusicmusic too

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Miles Davis and Thelonious Monk.

Nev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Miles Davis and Thelonious Monk.

Boom. My exact thoughts upon reading the thread title. Throw in a little John Coltrane, and just have a fucking relaxing night.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Akyho

Some all over the place Jazz and some Funky suggestions from me.

First Fat Albert :Pocket lent, I found this on an album Hey Brother can you spare some Ska and was pleasantly surprised....by the whole album infact but this tune aswell. Skip to 1min odds for the music.

Loading Video...

I find it really hard to narrow a suggestion from the next band, Bela Fleck and the Flecktones as so much is sooooo good!!

Ok ok I think I need to start at the best...Victor Wooten.....let me follow that up. Victor Wooten is the funkiest bass player I have ever listened too...and his Brother is also in the Flecktones...he is weirder dude called Futureman he is the one with the Drumitar....yup just like a Keytar is a Guitar Keyboard....HE HAS A DRUM GUITAR! Which with his brother Victor us pretty good playing percussion ON HIS BASS with his Brother on Percussion Ooo wooooow.

Then you have Bela Fleck himself...he plays Jazz....on a Banjo. Banjo Jazz a hint of blue grass... I am still not done! For Jeff Coffin their wind instrument player is phenomenal...and can play two saxophones at once...

Let me show all of these separate then I will show you the awesome might of Bela Fleck and the Flecktones as one united Jazzy Funky power!

So ok here is Victor Wooten with JD Blair on drums playing the EVER so FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNKY!... U can't Hold No Groove on a Jazz program.

Loading Video...

Here is a Bela playing his Banjo with an Indian man on Indian Drums.

Loading Video...

Here is Jeff Coffin playing Double Saxophone.

Loading Video...

Here is Futureman talking about drumming and how he came to invent the Drumitar.

Loading Video...

Now let us mash the guys all into the one band....and you have Bela Fleck and the Flecktones! Well...one line up...lols.

Also in the Part 2 Victor breaks a string on his bass and he keeps on playing and keeping it sounding great.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Bela Fleck and the Flecktones are simply amazing and with sounds like this.

Loading Video...

ALSO PEOPLE HAVE FORGOTTEN WE ARE ON A VIDEO GAME WEBSITE!! GEEEZE HOW COULD LET THIS JAZZ SONG GET PAST YOU ALL!!

Loading Video...

FDL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, if we're dealing with drums, Elvin Jones is necessary.

Watch the first two together.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

And the John Coltrane Classic Quartet, of course.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Joe Morello, amazing drummer:

Bitchin drum solo

Loading Video...

dadjumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bill Evans is hands down my favourite artist of all time. Check out Portrait in Jazz, Waltz for Debby and Bill Evans Trio With Symphony Orchestra. Those are all 10/10 albums.

Kind of Blue by Miles Davis is a pretty essential jazz album. Anything by Coltrane is a good place to go, too. If you're into vocals, try out some Chet Baker, or if you're feeling a bit more adventurous, Asakawa Maki is a fantastic Japanese jazz vocalist with a perfect husky voice.

Those are my favourites, so definitely all worth checking out. If you want some video game related stuff, check out the Gyakuten Saiban Jazz Arranged Album (Ace Attorney series), that's kinda what got me into jazz in the first place. Also if you like Ghibli there're several great Ghibli jazz tribute albums.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'm seeing a lot of Coltrane here, that's good. Some other great saxophonists include Dexter Gordon, Cannonball Adderley, and Sonny Rollins.

Greg Hopkins is one of the finest trumpet players alive. I've had the pleasure to play with him a few times over the years. An awe-inspiring career, and a truly remarkable musician.

If you're looking for another drummer to learn from, might I suggest Stanton Moore.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I can't tell if this is everything on my Spotify list but here it is: Jazzy Songs and Standards

Loading Video...

I am really into the latin influenced jazzy sound as illustrated in Oscar Peterson "Wave" or Dizzy Gillespie's "Manteca".

Loading Video...

I've been listening to jazz for decades and I love it as much today as when I first began exploring the art form.

If you have a chance, absolutely see Ken Burns' documentary JAZZ.

Heycalvero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reverendk: Soil and Pimp Sessions is rad.

Miles Davis' A Kind of Blue was my entry to jazz and I still think it's a great entry point.

Django Reinhardt belong to a pretty specific sub-genre (Gipsy Jazz), but is also quite awesome and great background music for doing whatever. Most of us here probably know his sound as "Oh that kind of music that plays in Bioshock!"

Duecenage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Duecenage

First heard this guy on Craig Ferguson, and I immediately bought the album!

Loading Video...

davidmerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Frank Zappa did three nicely off-kilter jazz/jazz fusion albums: Hot Rats, Waka/Jawaka and The Grand Wazoo. Wazoo is far and away the best. It features Zappa's excellent guitar work, George Duke's impressive keyboard improvisations and Aynsley Dunbar's incomporable drumming.

Loading Video...

Loading Video...

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Quipido

That's way more responses than I expected, it will take time to go through it all, but I will!

Thanks, everyone!!

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really, all you need for jazz is some Miles Davis

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#37 fisk0  Moderator

Someone I discovered quite recently is Tom Dissevelt, a jazz musician focusing on twelve tone music and pioneering electronics musician from the Netherlands who did some really fascinating early electronic music at Philips Research Labs in the 1950's and early 60's.

My favorite piece is Intersection from 1960:

Loading Video...

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@akyho: That Halo soundtrack was awesome.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By rollingzeppelin

@quipido: if you want to hear some real mellow shit check out Chet Baker. His trumpet playing is so down tempo, almost sleepy sounding but in a good way. I like his singing too but its not for everyone. I'd definitely suggest at least checking out his instrumental stuff.

qrdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By qrdl

Some of the artists that got me into jazz (not very deep):

Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

goreyfantod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love jazz & esp. live performances. Since many of the albums I'd recommend have already been listed, I'll just throw in a few films for good measure.

'Jazz On A Summer's Day' was a film made of the 1958 Newport Jazz Festival. Look over here... It's a fantastic film that feels like stepping back in time. Monk, Anita O'Day, Dinah Washington, Louis Armstrong - it has performances from some of the all-time greats and even gives a glimpse into jazz' roots in blues as well as its evolution into R&B and Rock & Roll. Since you're into drumming, check out this Chico Hamilton performance of 'Blue Sands' from the film. It's probably my favourite:

Loading Video...

Ken Burns' 'Jazz' miniseries is probably the most comprehensive and just all-around incredible documentary made about jazz. Burns worked closely with Branford Marsalis on it, so it definitely has blind spots when it comes to Fusion & anything else considered non-traditional, but even with that caveat, it's an amazing love letter to the genre. The series is available to stream on Netflix Instant and Amazon Prime.

If you have Netflix (or the willingness to search through YouTube), they have two collections of live performances that are essential: search for 'jazz icons' and 'montreux jazz' and you'll find hours and hours of incredible live performances (mainly from the 1960's & 70's). The 'Icons' films are great for standard jazz and Montreux is where you'll find some of the more eclectic & non-traditional. Examples:

Loading Video...

Loading Video...