Jim Sterling vs. Girl Gamers

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Milkman

Yesterday, e-fight 2K11 popped off on Twitter in a battle between Destructoid editor and Armond White of game journalism, Jim Sterling  and some lady named  Daphny who has the most offensively eye raping Live Journal I have ever seen. She apparently is somehow involved in game journalism but I've never heard of her. Maybe you guys know more about her. The battle stemmed from some insane hand drawn gay erotic gaming fan fiction that this girl drew.  Click here to see it but be warned, it's not safe for work or anywhere else really. As expected, when Jim Sterling saw this, he was a tad bit confused and maybe a little offended, firing back at Daphny with a Twitter message saying "Haha, wow, what the fuck is wrong with you? Do you have someone who looks after you?" And from that point on, the gloves were off. You can find the whole conversation here. It goes on for a while. After the dust settled, Daphny's girlfriend (she's a lesbian, bee tee dubs) fired back at Sterling on her website with a open letter to the Destructoid staff. To sum it up, she pretty much calls Sterling a misogynist asshole and Destrutoid should take some kind of action.  

So, I ask you Giant Bomb community, in this battle of epic internet proportions, who's side do you take? 

Personally, the way I see it, fuck both of these people. It's no secret that Jim Sterling is an asshole. He's pretty much a career out of trolling the internet in sometimes funny but most of the time retarded ways. Was he out of line to have the initial reaction that he had? Absolutely not. If someone I didn't know drew me being fucked by David Jaffe (as dreamy as he is) with my body covered in penises, I'd be a little freaked out too. Was he ultimately out of line in his comments towards the end of the argument? Absolutely. He should have been the bigger man and dropped it long before it escalated that far. But this woman isn't completely innocent. Now, let's get something straight. This is America. And if you want to draw David Jaffe fucking a obese game journalist who's body is stricken with some of cock sprouting terminal disease, then, goddamnit, that's your right. But the target of this also reserves the right to be properly freaked out by this. Daphny definitely provoked Sterling and egged him on throughout the conversation. The conversation could have ended with Daphny's "easy to say the same thing about you" tweet but then she fired off an unprovoked "it is pretty sad that you dont know what a fucking vagina looks like cant you like pay for sex by now". She was being exactly what Sterling called her; a cunt. From then on, they both precede to embarrass themselves for the rest of the time. Sterling is being an asshole and Daphny is being a child. As for the "open letter", she's absolutely right that Sterling is a misogynist asshole but her girlfriend is no better. She was perfectly willing to stoop right down to his level just for the sake of attention. And the result is two giant fucking idiots being proudly paraded in front of the entire internet. Good on you two. 

MegaGoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MegaGoat

Sterling was right
Crazy lesbians should not go unsupervised on the internets
Hot lesbians are a different story

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Xeiphyer

If they are both willing to stoop to the same level, then theres nothing that should be done. At that point neither party is particularly worse than the other, so I say just leave it be.  Pretty unprofessional of Sterling, but whatever, its his twitter, he isn't at work or something... he can say what he wants as long as he isn't breaking a contract somewhere.

Plus angry lesbians are hilarious.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By kingzetta
@Xeiphyer said:

" If they are both willing to stoop to the same level, then theres nothing that should be done. At that point neither party is particularly worse than the other, so I say just leave it be.  Pretty unprofessional of Sterling, but whatever, its his twitter, he isn't at work or something... he can say what he wants as long as he isn't breaking a contract somewhere.  Plus angry lesbians are hilarious. "

"Pretty unprofessional of Sterling" You've never heard of Jim Sterling have you?
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5  Edited By KaosAngel

Let me state I fully support lesbians, absolutely no problem with them and what they do.   

Jimmy is awesome, and I agree.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Xeiphyer
@kingzetta said:
" @Xeiphyer said:

" If they are both willing to stoop to the same level, then theres nothing that should be done. At that point neither party is particularly worse than the other, so I say just leave it be.  Pretty unprofessional of Sterling, but whatever, its his twitter, he isn't at work or something... he can say what he wants as long as he isn't breaking a contract somewhere.  Plus angry lesbians are hilarious. "

"Pretty unprofessional of Sterling" You've never heard of Jim Sterling have you? "
Oh I have, but he shouldn't be having a pathetic twitter fight with some lesbian. Ain't nothing wrong with a little mud slinging, but theres a time and a place. Twitter fights are like angry breakup fights on facebook. Nobody wins, except for the readers.
C2C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By C2C

Honestly, I could care less about this only because it's Jim Sterling vs Some Idiot on the Internet.  This is par for the course for Sterling so I mean I can't take sides here :/  I mean it's what he does.  If anything Daphny has more to gain since I literally never heard of her till now.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By august

Calling her a "slut" is apocalyptically stupid.

Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Malakhii

This is why some people think everyone on the internet is a moron. They're both sad people. 

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

I saw people defending Daphny earlier and I didn't understand it—it was as if no one had actually read all the messages she wrote. If my girlfriend did something like this, it is most definitely not something I would make public. Everyone looks bad in this situation, but I don't think Jim should be punished by his employer for something he said on his personal Twitter account.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By wefwefasdf

It isn't who is in the right but who is the least wrong. In this case, it would be Sterling...

HereAllDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HereAllDay

That was an extremely creepy image.

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Hourai

Jim Sterling is hilarious. 

MisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MisterChief
@sharma55 said:
" That was an extremely creepy image. "
Yeah. It was so poorly drawn.
yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By yinstarrunner

I am 100% completely with Jim Sterling on this one.  Fuck that bitch and fuck her eye-raping livejournal.  She's an obvious troll just looking for attention.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mazik765

Wow...both those people are morons, but Jim Sterling surprisingly comes out as being slightly less of a total fucking psycho, in my opinion.

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By DoctorTran

Both of these people need to get laid. Only one of them requires a dicking.

Hint: it isn't the lesbian.

ColinWright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ColinWright

Both were bad, but Sterling didn't poorly draw him fucking David Jaffe. That's just uncalled for as well as gross.

bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19  Edited By bonbolapti

Sterling should have taken that picture as fan art.

Garfield518

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Garfield518

I don't see what this thread has to do with girl gamers, aside from the fact that one out of the thousands is an attention seeker and draws creepy shit.

jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jmfinamore

There's a funny post on her website about poop. And by funny, I mean inspiring.  

Also, I hate people that try to be "edgy". She kind of strikes me as that type of person. 

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First off all who gives a fuck?
Second of all if you give a fuck what is wrong with you?
Third the woman's strange and that Jim fella seems like an unprofessional ass.

If he's representing a site he's gotta show some restraint, and replying to someone with such a comment to start with is already crossing the line.
Bet he wouldn't say it in her face.

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By PixelPrinny

Oh god, stop the presses, Jim Sterling made someone angry on the internet. It's almost like he's the Howard Stern of gamer nerds. Someone call the internet police. We have a situation on our hands. (That was said in the most unenthusiastic voice ever)

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

" If he's representing a site he's gotta show some restraint, and replying to someone with such a comment to start with is already crossing the line. Bet he wouldn't say it in her face. "
Lol, I'm fairly sure most internet flamewars couldn't be as easily said in person.. unless one or both parties are drunk.
Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By Bones8677

I'm not taking sides. It's like the Special Olympics in there.

Echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By Echo

Fuck the haters. Daphaknee is rad.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By butano

I despise using Twitter, however, watching arguments on Twitter is definitely entertaining.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BabyChooChoo
@Garfield518 said:
" I don't see what this thread has to do with girl gamers, aside from the fact that one out of the thousands is an attention seeker and draws creepy shit. "
Yeah this. It's not like he made some sweeping generalization or anything.

Also, if I had to take sides, I'd definitely be on Sterling's. I'll be the first to admit he can often go too far, but at the same time: he is who he is. He doesn't take shit from anyone. That 'woman' went too far and she got what she deserved.
ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
@Bones8677 said:
" I'm not taking sides. It's like the Special Olympics in there. "
Ditto.
Hmm... Ditto looks similar...
Hmm... Ditto looks similar...
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@PixelPrinny: 
It wouldn't be said in public, it shouldn't be said on the internet.
Only thing it got both now is press! :P
Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Cornman89

Fuck the internet

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By louiedog

I'm not a fan of Jim Sterling, but I'll be damned if she wasn't the crazier of the two.

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By PixelPrinny
@TaliciaDragonsong: I certainly agree with that philosophy, now if only we could make the interwebs put it into practice XD 

@Bones8677 said:

" I'm not taking sides. It's like the Special Olympics in there. "

OMG sweeping generalization about handicap people! I'm gonna go write a blog about it to tell the world how offended I am and then contact the press so that people start random threads on gaming forums about "Heartless user makes derogatory generalizations about handicap people. Other user outraged!"
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@PixelPrinny: 
I know right?
Just trying to be one of the first I guess :P
Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#34  Edited By Daveyo520
@PixelPrinny:  I would so flame you in person dawg. You don't even know!
Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#35  Edited By Vinny_Says

Thank you OP, I was just about to go eat some chicken. I fucking love chicken. But then I clicked on the link (yes you warned me, but you know that nobody would ever pass up a link that says "be warned") Now I have this sickening feeling near my sternum and will no longer be able to eat. I blame Giantbomb, this Daphne person, Jim Sterling and the internet for all this.

Lautaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Lautaro
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
" First off all who gives a fuck? Second of all if you give a fuck what is wrong with you? Third the woman's strange and that Jim fella seems like an unprofessional ass.  If he's representing a site he's gotta show some restraint, and replying to someone with such a comment to start with is already crossing the line. Bet he wouldn't say it in her face. "
It was his personal Twitter account, he wasn't representing a site.
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blacklabeldomm: I just ate some chicken and then had key lime pie for dessert. There were hairs in it.
RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By RE_Player1

I... but it's like... Jim shouldn't...stupid arguments over sexes... AWWW FUCK IT I'M GONNA GO PLAY GAMES.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#39  Edited By Vinny_Says
@Vito_Raliffe said:
" @blacklabeldomm: I just ate some chicken and then had key lime pie for dessert. There were hairs in it. "
Pubic hairs? sounds kinky!
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blacklabeldomm: I'm actually not sure.
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Lautaro: 
People associate him with Destructoid, like we associate Jeff with Giantbomb or Crecente (right?) with Kotaku.
Its gonna look bad for the guy and the site as a whole if something like this happens.

Now I don't give a flying fuck about this, the sites or their rep, but I know that's how people work :P
shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By shiftymagician

Why, OH WHY did I click that link!?  That girl's website was horrible!!

I don't care what was said now.  Jim Sterling automatically won to me after seeing that.

genpatton7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By genpatton7

Jim Sterling makes a living out of being over the top and most of his comments can be taken with a grain of salt. What this comes down to is a personal battle between Sterling and this woman, I hardly think what he said constitutes an attack against women as a whole, let alone girl gamers. 

Whatever the case, this sordid business of trying to get Sterling fired for being angry about a demented portrayal of his sex life is just plain wrong.

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45  Edited By OneManX

Both sides were wrong, but Sterling, represents a company (or a website) as well as his own name, the second it went too far, he should of just left it alone, but he kept trolling (because that is his gimmick to use pro wrestling terms).  

I mean this was obvious flame bait, but it's hard to defend Sterling since he is the KING of Flame Baiting, so maybe it's poetic justice or something... I really could care less with what happens.

Lautaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Lautaro
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
" @Lautaro:  People associate him with Destructoid, like we associate Jeff with Giantbomb or Crecente (right?) with Kotaku. Its gonna look bad for the guy and the site as a whole if something like this happens.  Now I don't give a flying fuck about this, the sites or their rep, but I know that's how people work :P "
I see your point, I just think it's a bit crazy that some people are calling for the guy to get fired.
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Lautaro: 
That I agree with, people like to moan and bitch about every little thing and won't settle for less then the guys soul it seems.
If you'd get fired of such things I'll never hold a steady job, I always have something or someone to put my hooks in (if there's reason, not going wildly about like mr Sterling).
Noodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Noodles

Jim Sterling is my favorite professional troll, and this internet drama just makes me like him even more. It's hilarious.

erinfizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By erinfizz

It's been gotten away from on the last 2 pages...but could we PLEASE have this conversation without fake cutesy nudging and winking about lesbians? It REALLY undercuts anything semi-intelligent one might be saying in this context.

Also, without taking a side in the current dispute, Jim Sterling being a jackass is not news.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#50  Edited By Skald
@mazik765 said:
" Wow...both those people are morons, but Jim Sterling surprisingly comes out as being slightly less of a total fucking psycho, in my opinion. "
I can agree with this.