Avatar image for thelawnwrangler
TheLawnWrangler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

Edited By TheLawnWrangler

EDIT: I've managed to find a better article from /Film. I have much more confidence with this, since the writers had a script that was apparently good but unproduced, and Jody + Co.'s Rogue House Pictures is for them to get films with their brand of humor out there, so we should have less to worry about in how it'll play out. Rejoice, friends!  

Another note about the screenwriters: apparently they have written a complete script about two friends participating in a "daring heist" on Comi-Con San Diego, which is totally a move I'd watch no matter what, because of it's ridiculous premise. I think the screenplay these guys will pull out might possibly be pretty awesome!

---

Jody Hill's career so far has been pretty strange, with his 2 movies, Foot Fist Way and Observe & Report, finding a lot of lovers and a lot of haters. The TV show he and his cohorts worked on, Eastbound and Down, has been very successful and loved by lots. Though he's garnered a lot of hate and such, Jody apparently is cool as long as he has a fan base, which he surely does. Well since Observe and Report, he's been kind of quite about everything; both TV Show and his directorial career. But today, guess the hell what, friends!  

IMDB Page: L.A.P.I 
News: Danny McBride to star in L.A.P.I from Mandate Pictures

Yeah Jody has another movie coming up, but this time he's gone the current Kevin Smith route, and is only directing, with two cats named Michael Diliberti and Matthew Sullivan writing the screenplay. As well this is the first film from Rogue House Pictures, a branch of Mandate Pictures, whose last GOOD film was Stranger than Fiction, headed by Jody, Danny McBride, and David Gordon Green. The film has been named "L.A.P.I" and it's description is that it's an action comedy about a beaten down private investigator in L.A. Also yeah, Danny McBride is playing the protagonist. Of course, I'm glad Jody is back in the director's chair, but this is scaring me.  

It'll be awesome to see another one of Jody's messed up protagonists and such, but man, I think there is a breaking point here. I'm sad to say that I see an insanely small possibility of Jody becoming a one trick pony. Complicated main characters, who are pretty much assholes, are broken down to depression then come up with an awesome redemption. It's an awesome structure, but come on man. Hey, we don't know what the essential plot is, so I will hold off judgement from now on.    

I just find it scary that Jody could be headed down such a road. But who knows, really. The protagonist could be a real straight-laced guy or something. I could be completely wrong and it could be an awesome movie. Plus, we still don't know how good of writers these dudes are. They both pitched the idea and essentially the Rogue House Pictures dudes loved it, so I have faith in it. Plus, Jody is a smart guy and would not allow a bad script to be made into a full fledged film. This could go one of two ways. 

1) It will be good like the rest of the stuff the guys do, but in a different way from their past stuff. 
2) It will be good, but too much like their past stuff.  

Regardless, I have faith that it will be good regardless, considering whose attached and that they accepted such a concept. I just hope they'll be able to change it up a little bit, and that Jody will have a fair share in the script, because I love his work. Then again, it might be a big action comedy in the vein of Pineapple Express, rather than Jody's past stuff... which could be cool, I suppose, but that leaves me more suspicious. The dark, mean-spirited comedy writing and auter visual style of Jody has been to unique to put to waste on a Pineapple Express rip-off. Again, I'm making assumptions; I just got to excited after reading this news. I'll keep you folks posted, even though maybe 4 people here would be moderately interested.

I don't know. Let's just all hope we're not treated with this:

Imagine this poster, but with a guy in a suit with a magnum. I hope that that isn't where this is headed. 
 Imagine this poster, but with a guy in a suit with a magnum. I hope that that isn't where this is headed. 
TheLawnWrangler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By TheLawnWrangler

EDIT: I've managed to find a better article from /Film. I have much more confidence with this, since the writers had a script that was apparently good but unproduced, and Jody + Co.'s Rogue House Pictures is for them to get films with their brand of humor out there, so we should have less to worry about in how it'll play out. Rejoice, friends!  

Another note about the screenwriters: apparently they have written a complete script about two friends participating in a "daring heist" on Comi-Con San Diego, which is totally a move I'd watch no matter what, because of it's ridiculous premise. I think the screenplay these guys will pull out might possibly be pretty awesome!

---

Jody Hill's career so far has been pretty strange, with his 2 movies, Foot Fist Way and Observe & Report, finding a lot of lovers and a lot of haters. The TV show he and his cohorts worked on, Eastbound and Down, has been very successful and loved by lots. Though he's garnered a lot of hate and such, Jody apparently is cool as long as he has a fan base, which he surely does. Well since Observe and Report, he's been kind of quite about everything; both TV Show and his directorial career. But today, guess the hell what, friends!  

IMDB Page: L.A.P.I 
News: Danny McBride to star in L.A.P.I from Mandate Pictures

Yeah Jody has another movie coming up, but this time he's gone the current Kevin Smith route, and is only directing, with two cats named Michael Diliberti and Matthew Sullivan writing the screenplay. As well this is the first film from Rogue House Pictures, a branch of Mandate Pictures, whose last GOOD film was Stranger than Fiction, headed by Jody, Danny McBride, and David Gordon Green. The film has been named "L.A.P.I" and it's description is that it's an action comedy about a beaten down private investigator in L.A. Also yeah, Danny McBride is playing the protagonist. Of course, I'm glad Jody is back in the director's chair, but this is scaring me.  

It'll be awesome to see another one of Jody's messed up protagonists and such, but man, I think there is a breaking point here. I'm sad to say that I see an insanely small possibility of Jody becoming a one trick pony. Complicated main characters, who are pretty much assholes, are broken down to depression then come up with an awesome redemption. It's an awesome structure, but come on man. Hey, we don't know what the essential plot is, so I will hold off judgement from now on.    

I just find it scary that Jody could be headed down such a road. But who knows, really. The protagonist could be a real straight-laced guy or something. I could be completely wrong and it could be an awesome movie. Plus, we still don't know how good of writers these dudes are. They both pitched the idea and essentially the Rogue House Pictures dudes loved it, so I have faith in it. Plus, Jody is a smart guy and would not allow a bad script to be made into a full fledged film. This could go one of two ways. 

1) It will be good like the rest of the stuff the guys do, but in a different way from their past stuff. 
2) It will be good, but too much like their past stuff.  

Regardless, I have faith that it will be good regardless, considering whose attached and that they accepted such a concept. I just hope they'll be able to change it up a little bit, and that Jody will have a fair share in the script, because I love his work. Then again, it might be a big action comedy in the vein of Pineapple Express, rather than Jody's past stuff... which could be cool, I suppose, but that leaves me more suspicious. The dark, mean-spirited comedy writing and auter visual style of Jody has been to unique to put to waste on a Pineapple Express rip-off. Again, I'm making assumptions; I just got to excited after reading this news. I'll keep you folks posted, even though maybe 4 people here would be moderately interested.

I don't know. Let's just all hope we're not treated with this:

Avatar image for gobiasindustries
GobiasIndustries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By GobiasIndustries

I think everything Jody Hill and Danny Mcbride have done together is absolutely great. I'm definitely looking forward to this.

TheLawnWrangler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TheLawnWrangler
@GobiasIndustries:  http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/02/04/danny-mcbride-to-star-in-jody-hills-lapi/ That should get you a little more excited. We have a good ensemble on our hands haha