Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Dallas_Raines
Online Now

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-penn-state-freeh-report-released-20120712,0,519370.story

Penn State University’s top officials, including head football coach Joe Paterno, failed to protect the children who were sexually abused by former assistant coach Jerry Sandusky, according to an investigation of the scandal that has roiled the school since last fall.

In a letter accompanying the release of the report Thursday morning, former FBI Director Louis Freeh had harsh words for the university’s top officials for failing to act on reports that Sandusky, once the football team's top defensive coach, had molested children on the school’s grounds. Sandusky is in jail awaiting sentencing on 45 charges of sexually abusing 10 boys over a period of 15 years.

“Our most saddening and sobering finding is the total disregard for the safety and welfare of Sandusky’s child victims by the most senior leaders at Penn State. The most powerful men at Penn State failed to take any steps for 14 years to protect the children who Sandusky victimized,” Freeh stated. The officials “never demonstrated, through actions or words, any concern for the safety and well-being of Sandusky’s victims until after Sandusky’s arrest.”

Investigators found that in order to avoid “bad publicity,” university President Graham Spanier, football Coach Paterno, Athletic Director Tim Curley and Vice President Gary Schultz “repeatedly concealed critical facts.”

Spanier and Paterno were forced out of their jobs after Sandusky was arrested last fall. Curley and Schultz are awaiting trial on charges of perjury and failing to report the abuse to outside officials.

All four knew of a 1998 investigation into Sandusky, the report pointed out, but none alerted university trustees or took any action against Sandusky. Those reports never led to any criminal charges against Sandusky.

“The evidence shows that these four men also knew about a 1998 criminal investigation of Sandusky relating to suspected sexual misconduct with a young boy in a Penn State football locker room shower,” according to Freeh, who was hired by the university to investigate how the school handled reports that Sandusky had abused children.

“Again, they showed no concern about that victim. The evidence shows that Mr. Paterno was made aware of the 1998 investigation of Sandusky, followed it closely, but failed to take any action, even though Sandusky had been a key member of his coaching staff for almost 30 years, and had an office just steps away from Mr. Paterno’s. At the very least, Mr. Paterno could have alerted the entire football staff, in order to prevent Sandusky from bringing another child” to the campus, Freeh said.

Perhaps more damaging for the university, which is expected to face a barrage of civil lawsuits from Sandusky’s victims, are the events of Feb 9, 2001, when a former graduate assistant, Mike McQueary, returned to the football training facilities. At Sandusky’s trial, McQueary testified he saw the former coach engaging in what he thought was a sex act with a boy of 10 to 12 years old. McQueary went to Paterno and told of what he saw.

Paterno then went to his superiors, who decided not to call in outside authorities. Freeh was sharply critical of that decision and said the action to keep the reports internal was due to Paterno, who convinced other officials not to take action outside of the university.

“In critical written correspondence that we uncovered on March 20th of this year, we see evidence ... that included reporting allegations about Sandusky to the authorities,” Freeh stated.

“After Mr. Curley consulted with Mr. Paterno, however, they changed the plan and decided not to make a report to the authorities. Their failure to protect the February 9, 2001 child victim, or make attempts to identify him, created a dangerous situation for other unknown, unsuspecting young boys who were lured to the Penn State campus and football games by Sandusky and victimized repeatedly by him. Further, they exposed this child to additional harm by alerting Sandusky, who was the only one who knew the child’s identity,” Freeh said.

Paterno is burning.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TheHumanDove

Paraphrase? I am wayyyy too lazy to read that.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By devilzrule27

Seems mostly like regurgitated information for 7+ months ago. But I just skimmed through it.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#4  Edited By Hailinel

@TheHumanDove said:

Paraphrase? I am wayyyy too lazy to read that.

TL;DR: The Penn State administrative staff (in theory, his superiors) were Paterno's marionettes.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

I do not understand people who stick up for Paterno. That seems crazy to me.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Animasta

@TheSouthernDandy said:

because football man

TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

@Animasta said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

because football man

I love football. I still think he's a piece of trash.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

#8  Edited By MightyDuck

I was a huge fan of Penn State watching their football games on TV growing up. However, now, that university will have a legacy of not doing enough (read...anything) to protect individuals from a predator that was allowed to continue his acts.

I really hope any of the "higher ups" who had knowledge of what was going on and did nothing go to jail.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By Animasta

@TheSouthernDandy said:

@Animasta said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

because football man

yet, some people REALLY love football.

Just look at that Lamb of God thread about the singer getting charged with manslaughter and some people are saying "I hope he gets out because I have tickets" some people don't care about shit that doesn't directly relate to them.

TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

@Animasta said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

@Animasta said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

because football man

Just look at that Lamb of God thread about the singer getting charged with manslaughter and some people are saying "I hope he gets out because I have tickets" some people don't care about shit that doesn't directly relate to them.

Yeah thats probably true. College football fans can get real damn crazy. I understand wanting to stick by somebody you admire but when there's pretty overwhelming evidence against them you start to look nuts.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By wjb

TAKE THAT, JOE PATERNO! ...wait.

Seriously, this whole thing is awful.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@Animasta said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

@Animasta said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

because football man

If you're famous enough, the law should no longer apply, though. It's just common sense. Famous people are angels sent from on high to guide us weakwilled peasants.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Dallas_Raines

@wjb said:

TAKE THAT, JOE PATERNO! ...wait.

Seriously, this whole thing is awful.

Yes, but also fuck Joe Paterno.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By EquitasInvictus

He's already dead!

Oh wait-

CodeHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By CodeHero

@TheSouthernDandy:

As a Penn State alum I feel a lot of us were waiting for proof that he really was a part of the cover up. Many of us hoped that he really wasn't that awful of a person, and that maybe he wasn't involved. However, now we know that isn't true and I think 95% of us will not stick up for him anymore. There are crazies in every group and I think the 5% who will support him forever are going to give the rest of us a bad name. I mean even Sandusky still has some supporters, but those people are his close friends who knew him for years.

supercubedude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By supercubedude
Very special hell
Very special hell
Blannir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Blannir

I hate Penn State but even I'm long since tired of this story and the medias attempts to drag a dead man through the mud. They just keep parroting the same facts over and over again trying to spin it in new ways, until new evidence comes to light that proves Paterno was aware of what was going on and actively covered it up just stop.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Dallas_Raines

@Blannir:

It seems pretty definitive if the investigator would release a report condemning him and the other top people at Penn.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BrockNRolla

@Dallas_Raines said:

Paterno is burning.

I know this probably isn't a Warhammer 40k reference, but I would love it to be.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By MocBucket62

This is sad and horrible news. Before the Sandusky trouble, I always thought of Paterno as an equivalent to the former Florida State coach Bobby Bowden. They were two coaches that practically made the programs they coached for years into some of college football's most recognizable and successful programs. Also thru their long time successes, they became some of the most beloved football coaches ever. Now with what Sandusky has done and with news that Paterno had disregarded the child victims, I just can't put Paterno in the same spotlight as Bowden as well as other great college football coaches.

Zleunamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By Zleunamme

Joe Paterno took the easy way out. He used his cancer to garner sympathy and absolve himself of responsibility. Maybe for once his family can stop sending their spokesman on tv. Instead of trying to protect his legacy, they show compassion for the children he failed to protect.

Blannir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Blannir

@Dallas_Raines said:

@Blannir:

It seems pretty definitive if the investigator would release a report condemning him and the other top people at Penn.

But this article isn't news, it's all things that were reported or speculated about months ago. I'm still waiting for the smoking gun, some concrete evidence, not hearsay and theories. I want someone to come forward and say yeah I talked to Paterno about this and he blatantly lied and took an active role in protecting Sandusky, give me a recorded phone conversation, something! All I see now is a very old man who was in way over his head, had no idea how to handle the situation, and made mistakes in leaving it to the higher ups at Penn State to take care of it instead of going to the authorities.

Trust me, I read these stories because I can't stand Penn State and loathe to hear people talk about how Paterno is the greatest coach ever and this is before the scandal so I would love some proof he was involved in this but I haven't seen it yet.

Avatar image for deactivated-5985ee6460d86
deactivated-5985ee6460d86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The guy is a scum bag n disgusting. He had to be involved I mean the guy basically ran the school lol at least that's how the people who love him make it seem. So by their standards he was involved; we would have to be blind folded not to see that one.