Jon Bernthal to play "The Punisher" on Marvel's "Daredevil"

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

Link here.

After an incredible first season of Daredevil I gotta say the hype level is off the charts. I absolutely loved what they were doing on Netflix and dreamed of the day that The Punisher would get his own series in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Well, today that dream comes true as Jon Bernthal has been cast as Frank Castle, AKA "The Punisher".

Just check out this sick logo for Season 2:

I love how the URL for the logo is
I love how the URL for the logo is "incredible".

I was honestly torn on Jon Bernthal because of The Walking Dead. Let's keep it simple and say: I hated that show. But he played a great, albeit small role in The Wolf of Wall Street and that's when I became a fan. Honestly haven't seen much else but as long as he doesn't go around going "m'ask you somethin'" then I'm sure he's going to be a fantastic addition to the series.

What say you: Giant Bomb community? What did you think of Daredevil and how do you feel about Jon Bernthal playing Frank Castle? 'Cuz I'm absolutely hype.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This is fantastic. Give him some salt and pepper hair and I can see it pefectly. That title card for S2 looks great

I dont think punisher will be the bad guy throughout the season. I heard rumors of Bullseye, which would still match the S2 logo. Punisher + Daredevil hunting down Bullseye would be amazing.

joejaen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really see it, but I do like him as an actor. Interested in seeing where this goes, though my heart goes out to Thomas Jane. I know he loved that character and I thought he was pretty good at it.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#4  Edited By GERALTITUDE

Love the Punisher. Seems like Bernthal could be a good fit.

Hope the season / relationship is more than just a simple "We disagree on methods" then "We need to team up to face a greater evil" but I'm not sure what else is possible in this universe, with these characters.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joejaen said:

I don't really see it, but I do like him as an actor. Interested in seeing where this goes, though my heart goes out to Thomas Jane. I know he loved that character and I thought he was pretty good at it.

I've been holding out for another Thomas Jane/Punisher movie for a long time, and I loved that short fan film he did where he reprises the role, "Dirty Laundry". But the reality is, we've gone too long without a Punisher(Warzone didn't count, that was a total snoozefest) and Netflix gives the perfect venue to do Frank Castle justice. So I'm down with Bernthal.

Love the Punisher. Seems like Bernthal could be a good fit.

Hope the season / relationship is more than just a simple "We disagree on methods" then "We need to team up to face a greater evil" but I'm not sure what else is possible in this universe, with these characters.

Considering what they've done to make Wilson Fisk seem so gosh darn human in the first season, I have absolutely no doubt that they will find a way to make the cliche "At first we were enemies but now we're friends" trope work. Also as brutal as season 1 was I can't wait to see how they're going to make The Punisher work.

Mega hype.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By conmulligan

I'm not familiar with the comics at all, but is The Punisher a super revered character or something? I know the films were widely panned, but he seemed like kind of a tool irrespective of their quality. Still, I really enjoyed the first season of Daredevil and Jon Bernthal's got chops so this might be alright.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not familiar with the comics at all, but is The Punisher a super revered character or something? I know the films were widely panned, but he seemed like kind of a tool irrespective of their quality. Still, I really enjoyed the first season of Daredevil and Jon Bernthal's got chops so this might be alright.

I'm not super knowledgable on the character myself even though the Thomas Jane/Punisher movie is my all time favorite. The Punisher is just a super badass guy who kills bad guys and doesn't give a damn in the process. He's an antihero who does what's necessary and so people have been clamoring to see him on the big screen alongside these other characters.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel sure knows how to cast a role. holy shit

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Obligatory:

Loading Video...

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Sure that makes some kind of sense. Jon Bernthal wouldn't be my first choice, but that's fine. I get the casting there.

I liked the three movies that have been made from the Punisher, and I was wondering what they were going to do with it now that they got the license back.

Cool. Maybe he'll add some more good acting to the show. Most of the main actors in the show really need to figure stuff out, and season two may be less interesting without the amazing gravitas that Vincent D'onofrio brought to it (I am of course assuming his significance would be diminished now, but knowing the comics he could still be there so I don't know).

I tell ya, though, if the acting doesn't get better, and the script writing doesn't improve I don't see that show lasting too long. Really good fight choreography can only carry you so far.

Although, I don't know what Netflix is looking at to consider new seasons of shows. It could be simpler than I think in which case the show could carry on for longer than necessary.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cornbredx: Plenty of people seem to consider the writing and acting pretty good. It's more than competent enough to keep a series like that going for more than a season or two at the least, especially with how much unrepentent garbage is passing for television these days. Even moreso because Netflix is new to the original programming game and will gladly latch on to anything that gets the kind of praise this got.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:

@cornbredx: Plenty of people seem to consider the writing and acting pretty good. It's more than competent enough to keep a series like that going for more than a season or two at the least, especially with how much unrepentent garbage is passing for television these days. Even moreso because Netflix is new to the original programming game and will gladly latch on to anything that gets the kind of praise this got.

I thought the writing was great. As was the acting. They went for a more understated approach than the movies which just shove CGI down your throats. There was more emphasis on characters and their motivations and beliefs than just running and gunning and fightin' dudes. Although there was a lot of that too. It was showing you what these characters were going through, as you see their metamorphosis to hero and villain.

I thought it was the perfect blend. A good example of what to expect from the future of Marvel and Netflix's partnership.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@n7: When it comes down to it, it is probably the most I've enjoyed any live action super hero related show, past or present.

It seems like people were pretty into what The Flash did this season, but I fell off on that pretty quick. Even if it got amazing later, it certainly didn't hook me as quickly as Daredevil did.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#14  Edited By StarvingGamer

He looks like a Punisher to me. I really don't think that character would be able to sustain a series on his own so good on them for making him supporting cast for Daredevil.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I think this could work, he was pretty good in The Walking Dead. Loved the first season and can't wait to see how the rest of the Netflix Marvel shows turn out.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By cornbredx

@n7: @zeik: There's a lot of plot holes in the writing and sub characters that just kind of move in and out for no logical reason (beyond the meta reason being that they don't have the money). It's not very tidy in parts. I suspect, if nothing else, the writing is the easiest part to fix. This could also be a Directorial issue, but I'm not sure.

The acting on the other hand needs a lot of work. It doesn't matter how many people like it. A lot of people liked Transformers movies too. That doesn't mean anything (it's just their opinions).

You liking the show is fine- I liked it too. Don't let that cloud your judgement of the show. Vincent D'onofrio was the best thing about it. What is the show without him? I wonder, to be honest.

Charlie Cox needs to learn how to fix his American accent. It's really bad. His delivery is stilted because of this, but I could tell throughout the show he was trying to improve. I give him the most respect- I can tell he's trying to improve the character and it comes through on screen. He has the charisma. Hopefully he can pull it together. I know a lot of people ignore accents, but I don't and it bothers me. And it does affect your acting.

Elden Henson was cool in Idle Hands (yes, Mighty Ducks was cool too ya'll), but an actor he was not. He still sounds like he's being delivered lines through an ear piece and then saying them. His last name (I think it's a stage name- I forget) is ironic in a way because sometimes he's like a puppet and his delivery seems like it's coming from someone else mechanically controlling him. He really needs to work on it because of all the actors in the show he is really out of place. He's the only one that doesn't seem like he is even trying. This is a shame because his character seems to be important (I'm not that knowledgeable about Daredevil comics).

Deborah Ann Woll I feel about the same as Charlie Cox on. She needs work, as her acting seems very one note (which is generally- emotional scene, cry now), but like Charlie Cox I could see she was trying to improve through out the season. Unfortunately the writing of her character seems often like they aren't sure what they want to do with her, and at the end she's used as some kind of reason to keep watching for season 2. A lot of my problems with her character could be completely writing related or directing related. I'm not completely sure. I'm sure she'll be fine if she keeps working at it.

Rosario Dawson is barely in the show. She just disappears- nbecause the writing is really good- then reappears at whim. Why does she have any billing for this show? I guess she's that famous now- that's cool. Her acting is fine, Rosario Dawson is a great actress, but again she's barely in the show and there's no real reason for that beyond meta ones. The only reason she's even in the show for what little time she is also seems really poorly written. It's all just very conveniant without needing to be. But... It only rains when she cries, so... ;)

All the other actors are more significant character actors which do their job, but won't even potentially be returning that I can think of. It's kind of sad if the secondary characters have better actors, and this show is one of those. To be fair, though, the main 3 actors while not necessarily "new" aren't what I'd call prominent actors. It's fair to give them time to learn- and I'm fine with that. But again, if they don't I don't see how they can carry the show. You can't leave every season up to Vincent D'onofrio- assuming he has any continuation at all.

Also, I forgot to add originally, for season 2 to even work they will have to fix that awful Daredevil outfit. It's saying a lot when his vigilante outfit looks better than his superhero costume. I almost think they should stick with the vigilante one.

Sorry in advance. I replied to both of you with all my thoughts on what both of you said so it's kind of mixed in there- some things may be in relation to something one said, and vice versa. It just works out better if I do it this way. That seemed more efficient to me than writing similar responses to both of ya'll. Sorry if this is annoying.

Mustainium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great actor as well as an excellent choice, but I do think he would've made an even better Wolverine once The Jacked Man hangs it up.

Just bring some better writers aboard, kill Foggy and Karen (the characters, not the actors, of course), and I'm totally on board

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cornbredx: I only skimmed through that, because geez. No offense.

My initial point was that it doesn't even matter if the acting is "legitimately" poor. If the general consensus says otherwise, and more importantly, it doesn't turn people away from the show, that is all that really matters when it comes to the show's future. For better or worse, the majority rules.

As for my own feelings on the matter, all I can say is that I don't feel as strongly about any of it as you seem to. There are very few moments in the show that stand out to me as "poorly acted", and in fact I enjoyed a lot of the acting. D'onofrio was good as Kingpin, but I didn't consider him the "clearly best thing about the show". Him presumably being less involved in the next season really doesn't make me any less interested in watching it. You can believe my judgement has been clouded (by whatever it is you believe may cloud it), I'm certainly no acting conossieur and won't pretend to be, but when I say I don't feel the same about the acting you'll just have to take that for what it is.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Charlie Cox was fantastic on Boardwalk Empire and his only flaw on this show is the accent. Everything else about his Daredevil portrayal is pretty great IMO.

I completely agree with Elden Hensen though. Every time he shows up I know the scene will be mediocre at best. He was fine in the confrontation scene but, otherwise, like you said it felt like he was doing line reads and they don't have enough budget to keep reshooting until he got a great take. There were moments sprinkled through the season but for the most part he seemed really out of place, both because of his recognizability as something goofy for people of my generation and because he doesn't seem to have grown at all from that.

I'm curious what Fat Haley Joel Osment might have done with this role, for example.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

That's really a fantastic choice. Really sad to hear that those Jason Statham as Bullseye rumors fell through, though. Still, I absolutely cannot wait for season 2 and I'm curious as to what Marvel has in store with Jessica Jones and Luke Cage and Iron Fist as well.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

While I'm excited that Netfilx is doing a version of Punisher.... I'm not enthused on their choice of actor. Didn't really like him in Walking Dead (granted, I only watched season 1 way back when it first appeared on Netflix) or Wolf of Wall Street, and seeing someone that's not Thomas Jane play the Punisher just feels wrong.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Fuckin great! I was never that big on Punisher, but lots of folks seem pretty passionate about him so I'm excited to see what they do with him. The movies were... not that great. Eh, that short movie was alright. Dirty Laundry. Still, I never quite saw the appeal beyond him actually killing the bad guys. But then I wasn't particularly huge on Daredevil either before the show ...or frankly anyone from the Marvel movies before those came out. Except for Dr. Strange though. I'm really looking forward to that one.

Anyways, Joe Bernthal was good at the start of Walking Dead, but the longer it went on and the more inhinged he got the more silly he came across. But I really liked Mob City!

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By N7

@butano said:

While I'm excited that Netfilx is doing a version of Punisher.... I'm not enthused on their choice of actor. Didn't really like him in Walking Dead (granted, I only watched season 1 way back when it first appeared on Netflix) or Wolf of Wall Street, and seeing someone that's not Thomas Jane play the Punisher just feels wrong.

I think that's the best thing, really. Sets the bar low, allows you to be surprised. I like the actor, I don't love him, but after that initial shock of "Wait, who?" comes excitement, I think. I never thought about him playing Castle and I probably wouldn't in a million years. But now that he's been cast in the role I couldn't be more excited.

@theht said:

Fuckin great! I was never that big on Punisher, but lots of folks seem pretty passionate about him so I'm excited to see what they do with him. The movies were... not that great. Eh, that short movie was alright. Dirty Laundry. Still, I never quite saw the appeal beyond him actually killing the bad guys. But then I wasn't particularly huge on Daredevil either before the show ...or frankly anyone from the Marvel movies before those came out. Except for Dr. Strange though. I'm really looking forward to that one.

Anyways, Joe Bernthal was good at the start of Walking Dead, but the longer it went on and the more inhinged he got the more silly he came across. But I really liked Mob City!

The thing about The Punisher is that he kills dudes. Like straight up, no holds barred, fuck you in the face with bullets. He's an antihero who's been at opposite sides of the spectrums with goddamn everyone so far. But the thing is, he kills. He knows that these scumbags are going to run the street, the city, the world, wherever. He's sick of seeing people do bad things without punishment, so he dons the skull and sets out to make it right. He's a good guy for the right reasons, but his methods are extreme.

The first movie touched on this really well, while giving his character some personal motivation in the death of his family. So you can sympathize with him. The second movie, War Zone, turned him into a big dumb meathead that fucking wrecked people.

We don't really have anyone like him in the MCU, and there's some huge potential here to make a lasting impression. I mean, the guys in the movies do kill people, but they don't make a big deal about it like the comics. Like that scene of Cap taking an assault rifle and gunning down dudes in the Helicarrier in The Avengers. Or Tony Stark building a suped up Nail gun and hammering guys in that mansion in Iron Man 3.

But with The Punisher, that's his first and last move.

There's a wonderful scene in this comic during Marvel's Civil War event where these two former villains were helping Captain America fight against the SRA(Superhero Registration Act). Punisher just happens upon them in the sewers and before they can even finish saying "Hey wait we're good guys now!" Punisher guns them down in a hail of bullets. No mercy.

With Daredevil showing just how dark and gritty they're going to go, the fact that Frank Castle is about to stroll into town is the absolute hypest shit happening in the superhero picture right now. Fuck BvS, fuck the Civil War. Frank. Fucking. Castle.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@n7: I did really like that part in Civil War, especially when Cap just fuckin loses it on him. Yeah alright, I'm startin to see it. Maybe I should watch the first movie again, or probably just wait for Daredevil season 2. I remember that first movie being kinda long and kinda slow in the early goings.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I love Jon's acting. He was fantastic in Fury, Wolf of Wall Street, and The Walking Dead. I can totally see him playing the Punisher. Judging from his role in fury, I think he can bring both the intensity, intimidation and venerability that someone like Punisher should have.

I've never been big on Frank, but regardless, this is a great pick. Personally I would have loved Tom hardy, but still.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will only be happy with this if it leads to Franken Castle. One of the dumbest things in recent Marvel history needs a place in the MCU.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By Ghostiet

I was hoping for Thomas Jane, but I'm fine with Bernthal. I love the character and I was hoping they'll give him the proper adaptation treatment.

JosephKnows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I like this casting very much. Despite thinking TWD was an exercise in failing to meet the grand expectations it set in the pilot, I thought Jon Bernthal did a very good job with what he was given to work with as Shane. I can see him being a fantastic Frank Castle in this series.

Yeah, Charlie Cox's American accent was a bit strained, but he has the charm, the cocksureness, the boiling rage, and the restraint in portraying a very believable Matt Murdock. Also agreed that Elden Hanson felt out of place until Nelson vs Murdock. I personally thought Deborah Ann Woll did a fine job with her role, and disagree with her acting being one-note. Every single moment of levity, she sold perfectly with a bubbly personality when the show let her.

Generally speaking, the show's acting and writing was good, and I think the only big flaws were in how some parts of the finale went down and the decision to kill off a couple of characters that had way more storytelling potential in them.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmmm, I don't know. I like the guy, but i just don't feel it. I hope he proves me wrong and does a great job though.

But I'm one of those guys who really likes the Thomas Jane Punisher, so what the hell do I know right?

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmmm, I don't know. I like the guy, but i just don't feel it. I hope he proves me wrong and does a great job though.

But I'm one of those guys who really likes the Thomas Jane Punisher, so what the hell do I know right?

You know great, timeless classics. That's what you know.

hansolol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Punisher is my favorite superhero. Hope they do him justice.

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I don't know about super-revered but the run where Garth Ennis wrote him was just the best. That guy was perfectly suited to writing The Punisher. I don't think I've ever actually read any of the "main Marvel universe" Punisher books though, just the MAX stuff. But as a totally casual comics guy I'd really that Ennis's Punisher was rad

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I just hope they can minimize the moralizing arguments between the "No killing" superhero and the "Kill everyone" superhero. I liked the original Daredevil series but one thing I'll say against it is that they weren't afraid to spend too much time on well-worn ground when the opportunity arose.

@cornbredx: I agree with you that the main characters are the weakest actors in Daredevil, but all of the secondary roles were basically great. Saying that, because those 3 are the only ones likely to return that the acting in Daredevil was bad, is basically a crime against math.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@n7: Warzone wasn't a snoozefest. He punched a man's head and it exploded

studioerebus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

It gets really confusing when people talk about how much they liked Thomas Jane in the first Punisher movie... Dolph Lungren 4 life son!

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@veektarius said:

I liked the original Daredevil series but one thing I'll say against it is that they weren't afraid to spend too much time on well-worn ground when the opportunity arose.

Sounds like a super hero movie or show alright.

Can't wait til Arkham Knight shows me how Bruce Wayne's parent were killed.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had to look up a picture as i've only seen 2 episodes of walking dead before i realized it sucked. I loved daredevil I think casting Vincent D'Onofrio from C.I was a brilliant move, so I have faith in their casting decisions.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

So I guess they'll be saving Elektra and Bullseye for Season 3 then? Or will they just kinda slip them in somehow without using their alter-egos like The Owl and Gladiator in Season 1?

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

While I have never really gotten into The Punisher stories, I loved the first season of "Daredevil" and I like Bernthal as an actor. This has me really excited for Season 2.

TDot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never been big on Frank, but regardless, this is a great pick. Personally I would have loved Tom hardy, but still.

Yeah, he also said he really wanted to do it. It's a shame. But also awesome because I was just talking about how I wish Punisher would show up in Daredevil. He's a really good antagonist for Matt.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why do ya'll keep referring to the Thomas Jane film as "the first Punisher film"? You realize the first Punisher movie was in 1989 and starred Dolph Lundgren, right?

I wasn't aware of Dirty Laundry, but I might check that out.

Loading Video...

defaultprophet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#TeamShane

ltsmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@n7: Warzone wasn't a snoozefest. He punched a man's head and it exploded

Punisher War Zone is replete with awesome crazy moments like that. Lots of fun.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I'm not super familiar with The Punisher but Jon Bernthal is awesome.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdot said:
@theacidskull said:

Yeah, he also said he really wanted to do it. It's a shame. But also awesome because I was just talking about how I wish Punisher would show up in Daredevil. He's a really good antagonist for Matt.

Yeah, plus Matt struggled with his morality in the first season so it'll be interesting to see how things go.