• 108 results
Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

@turboman said:

So the internet hates John Stewart now because he tries to make the occasional funny face? Ok.

No, just a few people.

Like many people here, I also like him. Sadly, his show probably has more research put into each segment than the average Fox piece.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#52  Edited By Brendan

I dunno guys, I feel like we need to give the word "gimmick" a rest, along with "pretentious" and "literally". If anything, "schtick" is the better word here.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#53  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@ben_h said:

@turboman said:

So the internet hates John Stewart now because he tries to make the occasional funny face? Ok.

No, just a few people.

Like many people here, I also like him. Sadly, his show probably has more research put into each segment than the average Fox piece.

There's no "probably" about it. Recently, Megyn Kelly claimed, with a completely straight face, that Jesus was white. Fox almost completely forgoes research in order to push an agenda.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

@brendan said:

I dunno guys, I feel like we need to give the word "gimmick" a rest, along with "pretentious" and "literally".

How pretentious are you that you think this gimmick will literally make the world a better place?

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I take it that this is not about the Green Lantern.

No? OK. I'll see myself out.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#56 jeanluc  Staff

@thesoutherndandy said:

@altairre said:

@video_game_king said:

@starvinggamer said:

@krullban said:

@alexandersheen said:
@themanwithnoplan said:
@zzzleepy said:

@sharkethic said:

@toowalrus said:

@erhard said:

The people in the audience laugh because they're expected to laugh. Everyone around them is doing it, so they do it too.

I don't know anyone who actually genuinely finds his material funny.

I'll raise my hand and say "I enjoy The Daily Show."

I'll raise my hand right along with you. I genuinely enjoy The Daily Show a lot.

Another hand raised here. I know lots of people that enjoy it, as well.

I don't always laugh out loud at his material, but I always enjoy watching the daily show. I have more of a continuous laid back enjoyment throughout the show, rather than a moment to moment laughfest. I will say however, that I think Colbert is a lot more generally "funny".

And another hand raised.

Me too, and now I find the original post in this quote tree to be funny.

I'm Spartacus!

NONE OF YOU ACTUALLY FIND ANY OF HIS MATERIAL FUNNY. YOU'RE JUST CONFORMISTS. DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND!? OR ARE YOU THAT MUCH IN DENIAL!?

(Is the counterpoint I pulled out of my ass.)

Another conformist that raises his hand in favor of the Daily Show. I have only started to watch it fairly recently so I can see how it might get old but at the moment I'm enjoying it a lot even if the quality fluctuates quite a bit.

You guys are a bunch of goddamn sheep. Wait, who are we talking about? Jon Stewart? Oh yeah, that dudes funny I like him.

Yay quote pyramid. Jon Stewart was unfortunately not Prince John in Men in Tights, even though they look and sound exactly the same.

I too will raise my hand for Jon Stewart!

Avatar image for internetdetective
InternetDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

this thread went from not knowing shit about comedy to anti-semitic pretty fast. good job bombers.

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this thread went from not knowing shit about comedy to anti-semitic pretty fast. good job bombers.

Huh? I've seen no anti-semitism in this thread.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#59  Edited By Seppli

I often enjoy me a dose of The Daily Show with my breakfast. So speak for yourself.

I guess most Red State kind of people wouldn't find his show all too funny, whilst the Blue States types, and most of the rest of the world have a hoot. It's simply marvellous how silly or even downright malicious y'all can be sometimes. Not that it's any less stupid anywhere else, but that's often too close to home to really enjoy oneself.

Also - isn't the Jersey Guy accent his most prevalent schtick? And aren't pauses for effect just that? It's not really a schtick if it's Rhetoric 1.01.

zoozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

Yeah, sometimes it seems like he'll pause more often than he needs in order to cover up a lack of material.

It can also get annoying when all the jokes in an episode are based on how bad the jokes are. Seems like he's been doing that a lot, lately - making a bad pun, and then looking at the audience as if to say "Hey, that was a really bad joke, right?"

That being said, I still find his show entertaining overall, and when he really gets his satirical claws out it's fucking awesome.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#61  Edited By asurastrike

@erhard said:

The people in the audience laugh because they're expected to laugh. Everyone around them is doing it, so they do it too.

I find his material genuinely funny. Also, a lot of the Giant Bomb crew watches the Daily Show.

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will say that ever since he took the wheel again after John Oliver's stint, yeah, the material just hasn't been all that great. But he's not the only writer on the show. Everybody is to blame there.

I personally want John Oliver to come back and do the hosting full time. He was hilarious.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will say that ever since he took the wheel again after John Oliver's stint, yeah, the material just hasn't been all that great. But he's not the only writer on the show. Everybody is to blame there.

I personally want John Oliver to come back and do the hosting full time. He was hilarious.

Oliver is getting his own show on HBO. I personally disagree. I don't want a Daily Show without Jon Stewart. But I do really love John Oliver.

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I prefer Colbert Report. But I do find John Stewart hilarious

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

that's fantastic.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#66  Edited By spraynardtatum

You just don't get it maaaaaan

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find comedic pauses funny.

So do I when done right. Tim & Eric are the masters of it imo

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

If it weren't for the daily show and colbert I would have no idea what is going on in the world. So I don't really care if its funny or not though I think its funny. I just care that its not boring.

Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People actually don't like Jon Stewert?

Well, I've heard it all now, are you a Fox News advocator?

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Umm... what?

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#72  Edited By crusader8463

@brendan said:

I dunno guys, I feel like we need to give the word "gimmick" a rest, along with "pretentious" and "literally". If anything, "schtick" is the better word here.

I agree. It's like literally everyone on the internet is using those things as their own trolling gimmick and they don't even realize how pretentious they all come off as when they do it.

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the content and the satire overall, but Stewart does mug too much for my tastes. I also don't like it when they do the fake news panel stuff. It comes off as too scripted. Stewart's interviews on the other hand--and the location interviews from the news team--are great. So it's kind of a mixed bag for me. Overall, I love the show, but I agree with others that Colbert is a bit funnier.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Jon Stewart, though to be totally honest I kinda like John Oliver a bit more. Colbert is still the king though.

Also, a lot of comedians do that.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#75  Edited By sjschmidt93

@toowalrus said:

@erhard said:

I'll raise my hand right along with you. I genuinely enjoy The Daily Show a lot.

I think I a lot of people genuinely like The Daily Show.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crusader8463:

@brendan said:

I dunno guys, I feel like we need to give the word "gimmick" a rest, along with "pretentious" and "literally".

How pretentious are you that you think this gimmick will literally make the world a better place?

YOU STOLE MY GIMMICK!

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I did love Oliver as host. He actually got me watching again, as a dedicated Bugler

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When he stares at the screen he's usually letting whatever idiotic thing that has just been said sink in. It works.

mageemagoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@forkboy said:

@brodehouse said:

I haven't watched regularly since 2008 (because I prefer a Daily Show that is critical of government), but I don't remember him overdoing it then.

I know Stewart is clearly a liberal, but that really doesn't stop him from pulling punches every time the Obama regime does dumb shit. He's spent a lot of time eviscerating how they fucked up the whole Obamacare website launch to a point where the mainstream news channels were doing a lot of "this has been so bad that EVEN Jon Stewart has been criticising Obama". Which is a dumb comment from people who haven't paid much attention to his many critiques of a far from perfect government.

So yeah, I still like and enjoy The Daily Show. I also like the use of comedic pauses. So hey. There you go.

Also, not to start any sort of crybaby internet nonsense fight, but lets not pretend for a second Obama is anything but a center-right conservative

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stewart is awesome, much funnier than Colbert who seem more... juvenile in comparison.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

Outrage!

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@ch3burashka

'He has a lot of fodder nowadays, and he's not pulling punches.'

Nor should he.

Love me some Jon Stewart TC.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@jeanluc said:

@fredchuckdave said:

@thesoutherndandy said:

@altairre said:

@video_game_king said:

@starvinggamer said:

@krullban said:

@alexandersheen said:
@themanwithnoplan said:
@zzzleepy said:

@sharkethic said:

@toowalrus said:

@erhard said:

I don't always laugh out loud at his material, but I always enjoy watching the daily show. I have more of a continuous laid back enjoyment throughout the show, rather than a moment to moment laughfest. I will say however, that I think Colbert is a lot more generally "funny".

And another hand raised.

I'm Spartacus!

NONE OF YOU ACTUALLY FIND ANY OF HIS MATERIAL FUNNY. YOU'RE JUST CONFORMISTS. DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND!? OR ARE YOU THAT MUCH IN DENIAL!?

Another conformist that raises his hand in favor of the Daily Show. I have only started to watch it fairly recently so I can see how it might get old but at the moment I'm enjoying it a lot even if the quality fluctuates quite a bit.

You guys are a bunch of goddamn sheep. Wait, who are we talking about? Jon Stewart? Oh yeah, that dudes funny I like him.

Yay quote pyramid. Jon Stewart was unfortunately not Prince John in Men in Tights, even though they look and sound exactly the same.

I enjoy me some Jon Stewart also. And i agree that Colbert is funnier and more entertaining, but Stewart is often more informative, serious and can help out a cause in a way Colbert's persona doesn't allow him to do.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

Is this because Jon Stewart used that one girl from that anime in a graphic recently to illustrate a satirical point and now The Internet Hate Machine feels the need to go "WELL I NEVER LIKED HIM ANYWAY" just so it can complete the circlejerk? Because otherwise I'm not sure what the point of this whole post was.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By TheHumanDove

Thanks internet! I mean thanks Obama!

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeanluc said:

@fredchuckdave said:

@thesoutherndandy said:

@altairre said:

@video_game_king said:

@starvinggamer said:

@krullban said:

@alexandersheen said:
@themanwithnoplan said:
@zzzleepy said:

@sharkethic said:

@toowalrus said:

@erhard said:

And another hand raised.

I'm Spartacus!

I enjoy me some Jon Stewart also. And i agree that Colbert is funnier and more entertaining, but Stewart is often more informative, serious and can help out a cause in a way Colbert's persona doesn't allow him to do.

And that's the differentiator between the two for me. I go to Colbert and Stewart for almost two different things, both of which are tangentially related. Stewart, although he is comedic in tone, provides thoughtful commentary through satire, while Colbert plays a satirical cartoon caricature. They both play upon recent events mostly centered around politics, but they provide slightly different points of entertainment.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themanwithnoplan:

And with that post, we've finally figured out how large a quote tree must be before the seed post becomes utterly unreadable.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@lego_my_eggo said:

@jeanluc said:

@fredchuckdave said:

@thesoutherndandy said:

@altairre said:

@video_game_king said:

@starvinggamer said:

@krullban said:

@alexandersheen said:
@themanwithnoplan said:
@zzzleepy said:

@sharkethic said:

@toowalrus said:

@erhard said:

And another hand raised.

I'm Spartacus!

And that's the differentiator between the two for me. I go to Colbert and Stewart for almost two different things, both of which are tangentially related. Stewart, although he is comedic in tone, provides thoughtful commentary through satire, while Colbert plays a satirical cartoon caricature. They both play upon recent events mostly centered around politics, but they provide slightly different points of entertainment.

I find Stewart directly points out absurdities and Colbert points out absurdities by rolling with them. Both can be thoughtful, but I agree they hit different spots of entertainment. Sometimes I feel like watching the Daily Show, sometimes I'm in the mood for some Colbert, and other times I just want to see how deep this quote pyramid will go.

Avatar image for chocolaterhinovampire
chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

@erhard said:

Me too

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't watched his show since he spit venom about deep dish. He died that day as far as I'm concerned.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Turambar

@dochaus said:

Is this because Jon Stewart used that one girl from that anime in a graphic recently to illustrate a satirical point and now The Internet Hate Machine feels the need to go "WELL I NEVER LIKED HIM ANYWAY" just so it can complete the circlejerk? Because otherwise I'm not sure what the point of this whole post was.

I think his recent WoW bit has a much higher chance of making people go "WELL I NEVER LIKED HIM ANYWAY" (which is to say, not very high at all) than any 5 second anime tentacle sex joke.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

how someone can hate on Jon Stewart is beyond me.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By TruthTellah
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#94  Edited By crithon

maybe you need to be in the audience?

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@theht said:

@themanwithnoplan said:
@lego_my_eggo said:

@jeanluc said:

@fredchuckdave said:

@thesoutherndandy said:

@altairre said:

@video_game_king said:

@starvinggamer said:

@krullban said:

@alexandersheen said:
@themanwithnoplan said:
@zzzleepy said:

@sharkethic said:

@toowalrus said:

@erhard said:

And another hand raised.

I'm Spartacus!

I find Stewart directly points out absurdities and Colbert points out absurdities by rolling with them. Both can be thoughtful, but I agree they hit different spots of entertainment. Sometimes I feel like watching the Daily Show, sometimes I'm in the mood for some Colbert, and other times I just want to see how deep this quote pyramid will go.

Yea I also love both. Colbert is funnier but that doesn't make Stewart any less fantastic.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht said:

@themanwithnoplan said:
@lego_my_eggo said:

@jeanluc said:

@fredchuckdave said:

@thesoutherndandy said:

@altairre said:

@video_game_king said:

@starvinggamer said:

@krullban said:

@alexandersheen said:
@themanwithnoplan said:
@zzzleepy said:

@sharkethic said:

@toowalrus said:

@erhard said:

And another hand raised.

I'm Spartacus!

Yea I also love both. Colbert is funnier but that doesn't make Stewart any less fantastic.

From what I've seen, Jon Stewart is more himself on the air while Colbert is very different in person. I like both and think they compliment each other well, as they are two different takes on similar content. I can hardly imagine the Daily Show without Colbert and vice-versa. :)

(I also wanted to be a part of this absurd quote chain)

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By TruthTellah
audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I get my news from the BBC.

I look down on ALL OF YOU.

Avatar image for royce_mccutcheon
Royce_McCutcheon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Daily Show is one of about four shows that I actually make the effort to stop what I'm doing and watch every episode.

Jon Stewart's one of the good ones.