Just finished Battlestar Galactica! NOO! Need new TV suggestions.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By xyzygy

I am so beyond out of sorts right now after finishing the series! I know the series ended over a year ago but I'm only getting around to watching it right now. I prefer to watch shows when they're over so i can watch each episode at my own pace and not have to worry about airtimes.

I won't get to see any of these amazing characters anymore! In order to deal with my anguish I watched a whole bunch of interviews from the actors just to pound it into my head that: these characters are not real. I'm going to miss them very much. I'm going to miss Starbuck! and Gaius!!! And Helo and Tyrol and basically everyone!

Still, I'm very sad that I won't get to see any of them anymore. I absolutely loved the series and think it's a masterpiece. Are there any other shows out there like BSG, with great characters and awesome settings and the like? I heard that Heroes was pretty good. 

The main TV series that I've already seen are Lost (love it, as you can tell by my avatar) and Deadwood and I enjoyed them both for their great characters and settings.

groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By groin

Dude, do not watch Heroes. That show was a disaster after the first season.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By MarkWahlberg

The Wire was good. 

omghisam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By omghisam

Heroes took a nose dive after the first season.

I would recommend:
The Wire (obviously)
The Shield 
Mad Men
Sons of Anarchy (about a southern California biker gang a lot of Deadwood actors are in this show)

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By FreakAche

I only get basic cable (and Canadian basic cable at that, which is basically just local TV, plus American networks, some news stuff, and a handful of HD versions of Canadian and American network TV) so I can't really speak for a lot of the stuff that's on higher tier cable packages, but I really recommend you watch Chuck and Fringe. These are my two favorite shows currently on TV.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By melcene

Because Boardwalk Empire finished its season, I'm going back to John Adams, then Rome.  The Wire is a great one too, as others have said.  Mad Men was also cool.

ptc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ptc

The Wire.   This is a tie with BSG for my all-time favorite TV series.

Dexter.  

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ryanwho

Watch Farscape. Quality wise its like a mirror image in that it gets better over time instead of worse and the ending is completely satisfying instead of Battlestar's complete bullshit.

Pretzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Pretzel

Stargate Universe

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By John1912
@groin said:
" Dude, do not watch Heroes. That show was a disaster after the first season. "  
Yea, they really fucked it over.  Same with Lost imo :p  

Great TV shows, Rescue me,  Breaking Bad, Dexter, Mad Men, Boardwalk Empire, The Shield, Sons of Anarchy, Big Love (is ok ).....All I can think of right now.  Walking Dead is half way threw 1st season, not great but good so far.
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By xyzygy

I also heard that Twin Peaks was good. Any comments on that? 

I'll check out The Wire, it sounds like it's pretty good from all the praise you guys are giving it. Farscape sounds interesting too.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FreakAche
@Pretzel said:
" Stargate Universe "
It got canceled pretty much without warning though, so it will likely have a lackluster ending. That makes it tough to recommend at this point.

Also, welcome to Giant Bomb!
Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Red

Surprised to see no mention of Firefly. 

*ahem* 
Firefly is really, really awesome.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

I finished it last year. Soooooo goooooooooooood. 

There's always a feeling of emptiness after finishing a show like that. I am on season 3 of Futurama right now! I love Netflix!

hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By hexx462

If you watch the Wire give it some time. It's a very slow burn of a show, but the build up pays off in a huge way and continues to over the entirety of the series. There's a reason it gets the praise it does, just be patient with it and it will reward you.

Breaking Bad is probably my favorite show on TV right now, I'd highly recommend that. Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul pretty much knock it out of the park every episode acting-wise and the show is darkly funny.

NeoNightmareX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NeoNightmareX

Dexter
Dexter
Season 5 just finished airing on Showtime and Seasons 1-4 are out on DVD. This is an amazing show, check it out.
Zimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Zimbo

I'm currently watching The Wire at the moment and yeah. Do what these fine people suggest and watch it. It's great. 

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By xyzygy
@Red: Doesn't Firefly only have like one season? Is it really worth it? I don't want to be invested in characters which only last a very short time. 

@Pretzel: That show was just cancelled 4 days ago... :(
monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By monetarydread
@Vito_Raliffe: 
Man do I wish Netflix didn't suck so bad in Canada. 

As for a great series to watch with great characters and settings, I recommend The Tudors. This show has the best character development of any show this decade. As for the acting, well, the fact that Johnathon Rhys Meyers has yet to win an award for his portrayal of Henry the VIII makes me sad.
Jiggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jiggah
@xyzygy said:
" @Red: Doesn't Firefly only have like one season? Is it really worth it? I don't want to be invested in characters which only last a very short time. "
What kind of question is that?  Of course it's worth it.  Plus, then you can finish off the series by watching Serenity. 

If you liked Deadwood, check out Justified with Timothy Olypant.  The first season just ended and second season will begin in Feb. 

Dexter is 5 seasons in and it's great.  The Wire as suggested by other people.  Sherlock, the updated BBC series.  It only has 3 episodes for the first season (or series for our English friends). 
edtwo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By edtwo

Oz. go and watch Oz. best TV show ever in my opinion

jsuuun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By jsuuun

breaking bad and the wire

ImpendingFoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ImpendingFoil

If you are looking for shows that are completely finished I suggest the following:

Twin Peaks (though the ending is shit)
The Shield (Probably the best TV show I can suggest)
Babylon 5 (I like this, I can really understanding people not liking it though)
Firefly (Despite only being 1 season and a movie)

You could also go really crazy and watch ALL of the X-Files.  If you have Netflix you can get that streaming. Though same with some of my list.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24  Edited By Tylea002

@xyzygy said:

" @Red: Doesn't Firefly only have like one season? Is it really worth it? I don't want to be invested in characters which only last a very short time. "

Why yes it does. And why yes, it is a travesty. It's also got some of the best TV Show Characters of it's decade. You'll be invested, and it's a good 14(15 if you count the double length premire) and a movie. It may be a (tragically) short ride, but there's no better one on TV.

Put it this way, I watched it then went to galactica, and gave up on galactica within a few episodes because, well, it was just boring coming off the back of firefly.
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By xyzygy
@EdTwo said:
" Oz. go and watch Oz. best TV show ever in my opinion "
Actually I forgot to mention that I watched every single episode of Oz too. Man that show kicked ass!
Palaeomerus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Palaeomerus

Try Caprica and Stargate Universe.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By Pibo47

Try out Breaking Bad, its really really good.

HubrisRanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By HubrisRanger

If you want more epic space sci-fi awesomeness with socio-political undertones, watch Babylon 5 immediately. The entire series on Netflix. It can be mad cheesy at times, but its high points have rarely been matched by any television science fiction.

For other viewing options, I'd also recommend the Wire. Its really dense, and it can take a while to fully get into, but it has some of the greatest pay-offs ever later on. Especially recommended if you liked Deadwood; it has the same approach to being an extended series of movies broken into evenly sized chapters.

Final recommendation would be Dead Like Me. Short little series from Showtime a while back now, that was about the early career of a Grim Reaper. One of the most thoughtful shows about death and life I can remember in recent history. And it was hilarious to boot.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By xyzygy
@HubrisRanger: Awesome, thanks for the suggestions! Dead Like Me sounds interesting :)
koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By koolaid

A lot of people have mentioned The Wire and I agree with them.  It takes one or two episodes to get into it, but it's worth it.   It's totally something else.   
I'd say that in scope and tone it is similar to Battlestar.   They both try to convey a realistic world, the advantage that The Wire's world is actually real.  Also, in both shows, the full impact of the character's actions are realized.  There is no "problem of the week" and characters can make mistakes and their choices rock the world to its foundation.   It really is a visual novel.  Also, the Wire just feels really really realistic.  It doesn't just feel like these events could happen, it feels these events DO happen.  

My only warning is that The Wire ruined a lot of shows for me, especially crime shows.  Cold Case, CSI, even Bones.  I laugh at the silly shallow cop characters and their need to serve justice and protect the innocent.  

It's all in the Game.  And the Game is rigged.

hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By hexx462

The Shield is one of the few shows that ends on a perfect note, and does the opposite of most shows by getting much better in the 5th season and later which is where a lot of shows tend to take a dive in quality. In fact that 5th season with Forest Whittaker may be one of the most intense seasons ever aired on TV, worth watching the entire series for it alone.  It's worth watching if you want to go in knowing you'll have a quality experience through out and not get gut punched by a terrible series finale (i.e. Lost or The X-Files).  Though you will get gut punched emotionally by the show, it's quite raw.

Mad Men is fantastic as well and improves with each season. Worth watching for the attention to detail and set design alone. It also happens to be one of the best character studies on TV and rewards repeat viewings with it's subtly.

Also if you're a fan of modern TV dramas it's essential that you watch The Sopranos to see where the grand daddy of film quality adult dramas.  Not to mention it's an amazing show even if it suffers from some a slight quality dip later on.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Dany

Breaking bad is heart stompingly great drama....literally

ClaritySam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ClaritySam

Can I also reccomend Life On Mars / Ashes to Ashes.  I'm not sure how the US remake of LoM  is, but as a five-series saga the UK version is right up there with shows like BSG / The Wire (Although the emphasis is a lot more on humour), its very dramatic and has an interesting underlying mystery running through it.  I honestly think it's one of the only shows from this side of the pond thats as good as the top American dramas.  I was thinking we could have some sought of exchange program where we send  some decent comedy writers to the USA and get Ronald D Moore and David Simon over here for a bit. :-)

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

"V" (or "Visitors") picked up after the first incredibly boring episodes. It returns in January and I will continue watching it, especially after the nutty cliffhanger they pulled.
veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#35  Edited By veektarius
@xyzygy: You will like Twin Peaks if you stop watching until they catch the killer.  There's a lot of bullshit in that show even up to that point, though.
GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#36  Edited By GS_Dan

Heard things about Firefly and the Shield. 
Or you can watch BSG again. You miss so much the first time it's ridiculous.

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#37  Edited By rentfn

Breaking Bad, Dexter and The Wire!

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38  Edited By mrfizzy
@xyzygy: yo, the Wire is probs the best show iv ever seen, was so distraught when i finished the final season. Mad Men is also good and im switching between it and the Shield atm. Also, hoping to get all of Stargate SG-1 for christmas. OHHHHHH YEAHHHHH!  
Wipeout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Wipeout
The Wire is the best serialized thing that has ever aired.  Period.  Not to over sell it, but it will actually blow you while you're watching it.  It's that good.  I don't watch much TV otherwise except I concur with the Firefly suggestions, and you should really watch Farscape if you like sci fi at all.  Its very unique, has a very interesting world and the characters are great.   

No one has mentioned Farscape yet, so I'm very disappointed in all of you, and hate your faces. 

EdTwo likes Oz, and so do I.  I just don't think its as good as The Wire.
sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#40  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I'd recommend the following:  
Dexter 
Weeds 
Bored to Death 
Entourage 
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia 
Father Ted 
Black Adder 
Fawlty Towers 

Wiseash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Wiseash
@xyzygy:
Firefly, Dexter, Farscape, and True Blood are all winners in my book. 
DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By DeF
@xyzygy said:
" @Red: Doesn't Firefly only have like one season? Is it really worth it? I don't want to be invested in characters which only last a very short time. 

There is no way you can NOT watch Firefly. it's 14 episodes plus a movie! it is brilliance on a disc! you simply cannot miss this. I can't even put into words how unacceptable it is to not watch that show :) (especially if you're already at home in space after watching battlestar)

And honestly, any Joss Whedon (Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Dollhouse) show is worth watching (although you have to be very open minded and aware that it becomes a different beast later when watching the first season of buffy), full of spectacularly well written characters and top notch dialogue. Seriously.

I can also co-sign the recommendations for Fringe, Dexter and The Wire

you should also not discard short series. there are some brilliant shows that only had 13 episodes (but don't let you hanging on some ridiculous cliffhanger). 

in that area I strongly recommend:
The Inside (dark, gritty FBI profiler show - might sound boring but it's not focused on "cases of the week" but instead on the agents themselves and what goes on in their head while working on some seriously ucked up cases. great cast, as well. )
Day Break (a cop is trapped in a ground hog day scenario in which he gets set up for a murder and has to use the repeating days to his advantage and solve the case and clear his name. really well made. also very good cast!)
Terriers (just ended a few weeks ago, great character drama with a stupid title. an ex cop and an ex low-end criminal team up as private investigators and unravel some major BS while they solve minor cases)
Jericho (america's been hit by a nuclear attack and the small town of jericho is survived [so far] and has to deal with the consequences. life is rough when you're just trying to survive after losing power, communication, supplies. fascinating what-if scenario)

there's more (wonderfalls, pushing daisies, veronica mars, the 4400, caprica, breaking bad, john from cincinnati, etc) but I don't wanna explode your brain with too much input :D
BrockSampson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By BrockSampson

Eureka

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#44  Edited By csl316

The first time I watched Battlestar Galactica, I got bored after the 2nd full episode.  But earlier this year, I marathoned my way through it and was super sad to see it end.

Go watch the two movies they released (Razer and The Plan).  Then you'd do well checking out Dexter, Firefly (+ Serenity), Breaking Bad, and maybe the Terminator series.  These aren't anything like Galactica, but they're good nonetheless.

Majestic_XII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Majestic_XII

Go watch Arrested Development. Pretty much the best comedy series ever.

SpartanAmbrose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By SpartanAmbrose

Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Dexter, The Wire, The Shield, etc.