Just received an arrears warning from Santander Bank

Silock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Silock

I thought this was pretty funny actually (and scary!), I missed last months payment (not on purpose, I didn't have the money at the time I am only a student) and they hit me a massive warning notice telling me that if I don't pay this arrears fee within 14 days, they will take legal action against me. I mean, this is £9.99, its all paid for now, but damn they really went hard on me lol No phone call asking why I am late behind it was just BANG, 9.99 now or we sue you!

Not sure why I am posting this, guess I am just both shocked and amused that they went this far over 9.99. I admit I should of paid it, I didn't, I couldn't and I DID owe them money, but there must of been a better way around this then sending a letter this threatening to me. I should of called them, next time I spend money on a credit card I will be fully aware. (If I ever decide to spend money on a credit card again, what an experience this was )

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By TruthTellah

@silock: Is this a spam post? Did your account get hacked? This looks very, very strange.

Silock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silock: Is this a spam post? Did your account get hacked? This looks very, very strange.

Is your post a spam post? Did someone hack your account? Seems very, very strange that somebody would make a response like this.

Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I don't know what's going on in these forums anymore.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@silock said:

@truthtellah said:

Is your post a spam post? Did someone hack your account? Seems very, very strange that somebody would make a response like this.

He might be referring to the fact that your entire original post looks like it's in a block of some sort for some reason. You also said that you don't know why you felt the need to post this, and I'm wondering that too. Why do you think we care about your overdue credit card fees?

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silock said:

@truthtellah said:

This response doesn't convince me any further that this isn't a spam post...

But, hey, I understand your surprise at a bank overreacting over a small amount. I've had that happen, as well. It's quite amazing the level of fuss banks will make over the smallest things. Though, enough of those small things add up for a bank.

Glad you got it worked out.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Flappy

@silock: I'm glad everything worked out for ya. Banks can get pretty wild.

@heltom92: The console generation has gone on for too long, I guess.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silock said:

@truthtellah said:

He might be referring to the fact that your entire original post looks like it's in a block of some sort for some reason. You also said that you don't know why you felt the need to post this, and I'm wondering that too. Why do you think we care about your overdue credit card fees?

Exactly! Besides the odd spelling that may just be due to a language barrier, the big block around the text made it seem like one of the weird html spam posts we get around here. I've been here for years, and I don't know how to make my text into a box like that. heh.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I'm constantly shocked to see people say they didn't have $10 (or pounds) to their name during any given time.

I get that you're a student, but what kind of life are you leading where you literally can't afford to pay off a $10 debt. When I was a student and working on the side I'd be nervous when I dropped below $1000 on my account.

Silock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Silock

@humanity said:

I'm constantly shocked to see people say they didn't have $10 (or pounds) to their name during any given time.

I get that you're a student, but what kind of life are you leading where you literally can't afford to pay off a $10 debt. When I was a student and working on the side I'd be nervous when I dropped below $1000 on my account.

At that time I just didn't have the fees, I finished off paying my Uni loans for that year, and was waiting for my next loan to come through (which was 1 1/2 weeks after the bill was due) thats why I didn't have any money to my name.

Sorry if everybody thinks this was a spam post, it wasn't and the only reason I posted it was I was a little freaked out by it and your replies could (and have to some extent) made me feel a little bit better about this whole affair. I don't often use credit cards, I just needed to use it because I had no money what so ever as I previously stated when paying off my Uni Loan, I needed £10 get something sorted and for that I used a credit card, I knew I wasn't going to pay it back on the day it was due but figured it would only be a week late and its just a small amount, there wouldn't be a problem. I did not expect such a fierce resposne from them saying that if I don't pay it back they will:

- Close my account

- Pass the account to a debt collection agency

- Bring legal proceedings against me.

Just, whoa.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TruthTellah

@silock: heh. Don't sweat it, Silock. I'm still just confused how you made your comment in a block like that. Glad you got it worked out; I've been there, as well. :)

rahulricky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@silock: tends to be an automatic mail out when you miss a payment. They don't particularly care about the amount. (also you generally get a couple of those warnings before bailiffs get involved, they just like to be scary straight away so people prioritise that bill)

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just came from overseas to the UK (Scotland, specifically) and I did not hear any good from Santander customers. I don't know how you feel about them but maybe it's worth a switch. You can never really win, every bank has its little piss-offs.

Mest30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: when I was in college, I often did not have a dollar to my name. My mom was bankrupt and in foreclosure and I didn't talk to my dad. I worked a part time job in one of the university's cafeterias making minimum wage which was $5.15 at the time. When I did get paid, it didn't last very long. Not everyone has it easy.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@mest30 said:

@humanity: when I was in college, I often did not have a dollar to my name. My mom was bankrupt and in foreclosure and I didn't talk to my dad. I worked a part time job in one of the university's cafeterias making minimum wage which was $5.15 at the time. When I did get paid, it didn't last very long. Not everyone has it easy.

I lived by myself in a tiny place and went to school full time. 5 days out of the week after I finished classes at 5pm I'd go straight to work to a movie theater where I cleaned auditoriums as an usher from 6pm-1am (3am on the weekends) and also earned minimum wage which was $7.15 in NYC at the time. I'd get home around 2am on weekdays and had to get up at 7am to get to my classes in the morning - and I studied architecture so I had to often stay up all night gluing together models or working on drawings.

I didn't have it easy, I just managed my money properly.

Mest30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: Did you work in high school? If not, there would have been at least one point where you said no money unless you got gifts from family. I did work in high school but couldn't save anything because I had to help my mom pay the bills. Point is, you shouldn't make blanket statements about people's finances unless you're able to walk a day in their shoes. And just because people didn't have as much money in the bank as you doesn't mean they can't manage money.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Heh... "rears"...

*ahem* Sorry, was just thinking about Jeff's amusement at "Butt" in Garou, and it activated my inner 12 year old.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Niceanims

Well, if they let you get away with $10, then other people would try getting away with 10. Then 20, 30, so on and so forth. They'd lose a ton of money. So to keep that from happening, they pull out the big guns for the smallest violation in order to set an example.