Keeping chill in the summer a.k.a avoiding heat stroke

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Ok so it's only just the start of spring but i already hate the warm weather, a couple days of sun was all it took for the flowers to flood the world with their death pollen, and the temperature in this computer room is starting to rise. I don't have enough herbicide to rid the planet of all plantlife, but at least i can try to stay cool.

THE PLAN
Fans mostly... the spinning kind.
Window open, ceiling fan on, just turned the tower fan on for the first time this year, and when it gets too bad i'll drag out the very loud but lifesaving AC unit, so before i do that i'd like to ask ya'll what your methods are and if you have any tips and tricks.

THE LAYOUT
I'm in a very small computer room, it has a computer in it, it + me generates enough heat to turn this room into Venus (i don't use the heating in the winter).
The ceiling fan is blowing down, but since the room is so small i always wonder if i'm just blowing the hot air back down at me, right now i'm experimenting with it on and off driving myself crazy, the tower fan seems to be MVP at the moment that guy's a legend.

I'm already p***ed at the thought of summer, are you all ready for it? Will you spend the next 5-6 months sneezing and crying like me? Is there any hope? What is your plan.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Justin258

Ah, a fellow Spring-hater!

Honestly, I like the cool breeze and the seventy-eighty degree temperatures that we get here in NC for about a month, but I'm severely allergic to pollen and I really hate the abundance of bees and wasps that spring brings. This season always winds up being a bit hazy for me because I either take Benadryl over and over throughout or I have sneezing fits every fifteen minutes. It wasn't as bad last year or the last, so hopefully itnwon't be so bad this year, but I already feel like I need a nap several times a day.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Summer sucks

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Are you stuck in “a very small computer room” for a reason? Is this an office? A dwelling? Is this a closet? Subterranean? Why no windows?

PatODay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't turned the heat on once in my apartment in the 15 months I've lived there and the temperature is always between 75 and 80 inside, even through the New England winters. It's always summer in my place.

nateandrews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 12

Best thing about summer for me is the kayaking, running outside again, cookouts, hiking, and camping.

Worst thing is the heat my PS4 gives off turns my room into an oven.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cikame

@nutter: It's where my computer is.

peteycoco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I keep the windows closed while the sun is out and shut all the curtains to minimize heat from the sun. Once the sun sets I open everything up again.

IEEE_GB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ended up buying a Noctua air cooler for my CPU and considered watercooling but not worth the risk. AC is not good enough to keep my room cool and my area legit hit 120F last summer and I just stay inside from like non to 5pm.

ltcolumbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just like going outside and shoveling snow before coming in and taking a nap in front of a fire is one of the great pleasures in life, so is going out to mow the lawn on a 90f degree day, taking a cool shower and laying on the couch in the AC with a friendly pizza nearby.

You can’t really appreciate the indoors unless you embrace the outdoors first.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Ever hear of water-cooled computers? Well how about water-cooled people? Never not be drinking water, buy a kiddie pool and take it with you everywhere, build a water suit and hook a hose up to it, shed water for the dead and then cool yourself with it. The body is 60% water, make it 80%.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'd suggest one of those lasko tower fans. They're not super expensive and throw out a lot of air, easily enough to cool a small bedroom or office. Another thing to look into is insulated black out curtains, they will keep the sun and heat out to hopefully keep things cool. If all else fails, a window AC unit, but those are expensive, noisy, and are hell on your electric bill.

IEEE_GB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By IEEE_GB

@stonyman65: I do need a blackout curtain... in my area it is so insanely dusty from geography so I got fans covered.

BoboBones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Man, I feel you. I have Mast Cell Activation, and I’m actually allergic to sunlight, heat, and cold. If I exercise and overheat, I can actually go into anaphylaxis. Water, and a clean diet help me deal with it the best I can, but Spring and Summer are the pits. Much more difficult to manage then the cold. Although when it was below zero, my hands wouldn’t stop bleeding.

stantongrouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By stantongrouse

In Britain it can be a bit of a dice roll on whether or not there even is a summer. I'll take the two weeks of moderate heat when it shows up as compensation for decades of drizzle.

Rigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

My plan is living in Ireland. That seems to take care of ALL heat-related problems, with the exceptions of the rare days where the temperature jumps a few degrees and everyone loosed their minds.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stantongrouse: I'm in Bristol, it's going to be 13°c later and that's already a problem :P.

stantongrouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@cikame: It should be okay, locate a Cornetto and take to the shade!

HHAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Make sure your ceiling fan is rotating counterclockwise to push the cold air down.

patchryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having two fans in the window with one pointing in and one pointing out seems to do a world of good to cool my office.