Kendrick Lamar's new song is amazing

Lausebub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Great last musical guest for Colbert: http://realtalkny.uproxx.com/2014/12/topic/topic/videos/video-kendrick-lamar-debuts-new-song-colbert-show/

I'm super excited for his new album now. That was something else. Apparently it was produced by some unknown French dude.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

So much better than i.

I love the structure of this song, how it builds up and his voice becomes more aggressive.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sounds good but NINE YEARS COLBERT REPORT HAS BEEN ON FOR NINE YEARS???!!!??!!!

i'm gonna die soon :'(

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

That was great.

billymaysrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be fully honest, I'm not the biggest fan of Lamar. I was interested in rap during the 90s, and guys like Common, Mos Def, and Talib Kweli got me interested again. I haven't been a big fan of recent stuff as of late, as I feel like the emphasis has shifted to hooks and trap beats. I don't really enjoy Swimming Pools, which I think is fantastically produced, but the lyrics are kinda lame.

However, the first verse from this new song is kinda amazing. I'm really interested in this new album now.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Lyrically its interesting but the song as a whole sounds like a bad acid trip.This is a dramatic change from what he has done previously isn't it?

Also this Colbert guy seems like a camera hogging knob.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sounds good but NINE YEARS COLBERT REPORT HAS BEEN ON FOR NINE YEARS???!!!??!!!

i'm gonna die soon :'(

This Thursday at that, feels so soon even with all of the warnings. I get most of my American news from Stewart/Colbert, that missing half hour is going to feel pretty empty now, even if he is moving on to do another show its format is more talking to guests and entertainment stuff and less making fun of while telling the news.

Anyways, I normally hate the musical acts Colbert (or Stewart) have but I really enjoyed this song, which found kind of surprising, the interview leading up to the song was... not that good to be honest, Colbert was doing those unanswerable joke questions and Lamar was doing sort of one word lame answers so I didn't expect much from the guy but when the song came on I thought it was bloody fantastic.

MaxOpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By MaxOpower

@billymaysrip:

>I don't really enjoy Swimming Pools, which I think is fantastically produced, but the lyrics are kinda lame.

You should really listen to the whole album. It's pretty concept heavy. About youth in Compton. Swimming Pools is one of the albums lighter, if not lightest songs. It's kind of made to be cheesy and lame. It's the party song of the track list, and meant to be enjoyed as such, before things go wrong.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

@maxopower: Somewhat accurate, but while it's meant to be enjoyed it can also be seen as the crux upon which the entire narrative swings. From my review:

Nowhere is this more interesting than the album's lead single, "Swimming Pools (Drank)", produced in the typical manner of "I'm on One" / "She Will" producer T-Minus. Where both of those tracks were explicitly about affluent escapees of the hood mentality throwing money at strippers and drugs, so too does "Swimming Pools" feel on its surface like an anthem for late night stumbling. "Fill a swimming pool full of liquor then you dive in it," Lamar instructs mainstream hip-hop's favorite subject, uninhibited and unnamed women. But even in its disembodied form the song felt acutely aware of its ability to play with expectations and criticize the very song radio scanners would take it to be; as the track which acts as an axis for the character of Kendrick Lamar to have certain epiphanies about the actions he's taken throughoutgood kid it becomes even more subversive, a moment of nihilism more accessible than those that came before it (robbery, gang activity, promiscuous sex) that serves as illumination: I am Compton...how real is that?

As for this song, I'm not much for singles outside of albums unless they sneak up to me from my radio - especially live versions - so I haven't listened to this, but "i" was a pretty huge disaster to my ears. You can't sample the Isleys, drown them in mud like that and make me happy.

The_Tribunal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, just heard and it was awesome. Thundercat and Bilal were apparently part of the production.

MaxOpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@nodima:

I enjoyed it a lot. Well, I'm not going to rip it and put it on my iPod, but that's not who it was meant to be enjoyed anyway. I thought it gave us a great taste for something very different but cool. It succeeded in making me hyped for the next album to drop. Not that wasn't looking forward to it, but I didn't expect saxophones!

Lausebub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, it definitely feels like a piece of bigger puzzle. I wonder if he even ends up putting it out as a single.

Now that Colbert is "dead", I really wish the Oliver hiatus would end sooner rather than later. <.<

Phili151

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kendrick Lamar is great. I'll have to listen to this.

Krataur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By Krataur

Colbert's had some great guests for his final shows. I'm not much of a rap fan at all, but I enjoyed Lamar's performance.

@rebel_scum said:

I'm going to assume your excuse for not knowing who Colbert is is that you're not from the US (your use of the word "knob" supports this theory). Not that you've been living under a rock for the past 9 years.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

just heard it. it was dope!

DeathByWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@maxopower: I don't if I'd call it the party song of the album when the first verse is about alcholism and being peer pressured into drinking more by your friends. But yes, it is one of those songs that gets played by people who just like the fact that a voice is saying "DRANK" over and over.

Avatar image for arkade_kalamity
Arkade_Kalamity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Arkade_Kalamity

I'll admit I'm not the biggest Lamar fan, but I definitely can't hate on the kid. His lyrics and the song in general is very original. 100% better than the crap being played on popular "hiphop" and "pop" stations.

Good interview too.

Avatar image for secondpersonshooter
SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathbywaffle: when that song came out I was going to a lot of frat parties at the time and guaranteed they would always play swimming pools.

DeathByWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@secondpersonshooter: I've had the same experiences. That happens a lot in music - I've heard a similar story about Fight For Your Right by the Beastie Boys. They were trying to make fun of people like that, but instead those very people blasted it as an anthem.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Milkman

I wasn't a big fan of "i" when I first heard it but it definitely grew on me. This is something entirely different though. Pretty amazing. This new album is going to have an unbelievable amount of hype surrounding it.

BoxxyBae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman said:

I wasn't a big fan of "i" when I first heard but it definitely grew on me. This is something entirely different though. Pretty amazing. This new album is going to have an unbelievable amount of hype surrounding it.

I agree. "I" has to grow on you. but then its real good

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not my kinda jam.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman said:

I wasn't a big fan of "i" when I first heard it but it definitely grew on me. This is something entirely different though. Pretty amazing. This new album is going to have an unbelievable amount of hype surrounding it.

Totally agree.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well that was very good. It is always great when a talented song writer actually puts out some music that has something to say on top of sounding good. In the words of Kanye, "that's why another goddang dance track gotta hurt, That's why I'd rather spit something that got a purp'." I hope Kendrick gets some more radio play because listening to 2 Chainz rap about general hedonism is getting old.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By Cirdain
At first glance in the video I thought that was a Gungan.
At first glance in the video I thought that was a Gungan.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krataur said:

Colbert's had some great guests for his final shows. I'm not much of a rap fan at all, but I enjoyed Lamar's performance.

@rebel_scum said:

I'm going to assume your excuse for not knowing who Colbert is is that you're not from the US (your use of the word "knob" supports this theory). Not that you've been living under a rock for the past 9 years.

Thank God I'm not ;) and who watches tv these days?

Lausebub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still not sure whether you're joking or not. Colbert is a pretty fantastic character.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good stuff. Kendrick always bringing it to hippity hoppity.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

After this and "i" I'm liking the direction this dude is going in. Is it much different to his older stuff? I've been meaning to listen to Good Kid but I don't like Swimming Pools.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@rebel_scum said:

@krataur said:

@rebel_scum said:

Thank God I'm not ;) and who watches tv these days?

He' a political satirist who parodies right-wing media pundits. He is very well regarded here in the U.S. and he's moving on to replace David Letterman on a very popular late night television program.

His character is supposed to be a self-absorbed asshole with extremely right-wing ideals.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ugh, this song is absolutely amazing. I couldn't remember where I heard it and have been trying to find it again for 2 days. Thanks for posting this. God, that song is incredible.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_tribunal: Yeah, Thundercat is in that video.

Never really been into Kendrick outside that Never Catch Me track he did with Flylo. Dudes definitely talented, I just can't get into his stuff.