King Conan

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By reisz

So another Conan movie is in the works with Schwarzenegger reprising his role from '82. Now I god damn love the original Conan the Barbarian but I know it isn't favoured by many, anyone here as stoked as I am about this?

They are completely ignoring Conan the Destroyer and last years Jason Mamoa tragedy. I seriously couldn't be more excited, whether or not they pay a lot of attention to the source material, I love the idea of an actor returning to a role after 30 years, should be interesting if nothing else.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=35606

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By wrecks
  Yes, stoked. Hope they don't fuck it up.
flindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By flindip

Could be good. But if they are going with a connection to the 82 Conan film then you really need to involve John Milus and Oliver Stone.

The 82 Conan film is Milus/Stone's interpretation of Robert E Howards work. If they don't bring those guys back, its probably not going to fit.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Spoonman671

I don't expect it to be good, but it would be pretty cool if it was.  Have a hard time thinking of what it would actually be about.  I hope Schwarzenegger isn't going to be running around swinging a battleaxe or something.

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By wrecks
@flindip: Judging from their lastest track record, I'd say that both of their best creative days are well behind them. Lots of talented witers out there.  

The thing I hope they get right is the score. The original is one of my favorite scores of all time. 

flindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By flindip

@wrecks said:

@flindip: Judging from their lastest track record, I'd say that both of their best creative days are well behind them. Lots of talented witers out there.

The thing I hope they get right is the score. The original is one of my favorite scores of all time.

Well Milius wrote a King Conan script a couple years back that was not bad(Wachoski's were attached to it). I don't know if Milius should be directing necessarily(or wants to). But he should be involved.

If he isn't, its probably going to have very little in common to that 82 film. They are better off just rebooting the franchise again(which they tried and failed).

Honestly, that 82 film is defined with Milius's vision/philosophy and Arnold's aesthetic. It doesn't work when your missing one of the components imo.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Hope this turns out well! The original Conan movie may be my favorite fantasy film ever. They would start out from a great foundation if they base the plot on Hour of the Dragon.

@flindip said:

Honestly, that 82 film is defined with Milius's vision/philosophy and Arnold's aesthetic. It doesn't work when your missing one of the components imo.

I think they could certainly do REH's work justice even without Milius but I certainly agree since he was a huge part of the first movie obviously. Someone else could make a great movie from the source material though, no question in my mind. I would like this film to derive from the first Conan film but even if it departs I won't be immediately worried bout that.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By reisz

I don't know how I feel about the lack of Milius' touch, I think with enough intent and reverence for the first film that they could make a worthwhile sequel. I do agree with Wrecks though, I'd love to see at least some of the original Basil Poledouris score used in the new film, it would be a great nostalgic connection for those of us tso familiar with the original.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Funkydupe

I think I'm going to enjoy a veteran Conan type movie. It'll probably be different with a more experienced and I dare say Wiser Conan?