Korra is the worst avatar ever.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Poll Korra is the worst avatar ever. (546 votes)

Yes 34%
No 38%
No, that other water tribe avatar was the worst. 29%

Whiny, incompetent, ungrateful, doesn't learn from her mistakes, makes really dumb mistakes consistently, ADHD, deals clumsily with emotional, physical and spiritual challenges. She's worse than the last Water tribe Avatar who lost his face to that thing. Speaking of which, do you remember how well Aang dealt with that situation despite his fear? That sort of tension and atmosphere has never been present in the Korra series. And for some reason all the bad guys are from the water tribe now; Amon, Tarrlok, Korra's uncle, that rich guy, etc. What is up with that? It makes me sad thinking of how well developed and likeable Sokka and Katara were and then looking at this sorry lot of characters. Ugh. They had their issues, but they learned from their mistakes and grew up. A lot of what Aang accomplished would have been impossible without those two. Korra seems unable and unwilling to learn.

"YOU'RE EITHER WITH ME OR AGAINST ME! NEVER DOUBT ME I'M THE AVATAR!!!!"

*gets ass handed to her*

Yes, this was a nerdy rant about a cartoon, deal with it.

• 
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Apparently, you missed the episode where she had to learn how to control her emotions. You know, the one where she became a four year old again, for some reason. She's learning slowly, but she's learning.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apparently, you missed the episode where she had to learn how to control her emotions. You know, the one where she became a four year old again, for some reason. She's learning slowly, but she's learning.

No, I didn't miss that episode. That was really dumb. It's a sorry excuse for character development.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

@aegon said:

It's a sorry excuse for character development.

How?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

NERD.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By LiquidPrince

No. Also you technically only get very familiar with Aang and Korra. Maybe a bit of Roku. You can't really say she's the worst EVER... Also you're wrong in my opinion either way.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Aegon

@video_game_king said:

@aegon said:

It's a sorry excuse for character development.

How?

There was no challenge in it. This guy told me to do this and now I will.

Do you remember Aang trying to open the chakras and being unable to because of his very real and established feelings towards Katara? That felt like a real challenge. It was a real obstacle that could be felt by the viewers.

But for Korra, controlling the avatar state is no big deal.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Also you technically only get very familiar with Aang and Korra. Maybe a bit of Roku. You can't really say she's the worst EVER... Also you're wrong in my opinion either way.

The poll says otherwise, teeheehee.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Video_Game_King

@aegon said:

But for Korra, controlling the avatar state is no big deal.

The physical side, at least. Emotionally or spiritually? It's still a big problem. That's been the whole point of her character arc thus far: strengthening that side. Encountering problems that brute force really can't solve. Sort of like Aang having trouble with Earthbending, but turned on its head.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By ShadyPingu

Korra's all right. Not the most compelling protagonist ever, but she hasn't given me a reason to dislike her.

The show on the whole, though... Man, what a bizarre season this was. As badly as I thought they botched last season's finale, I at least appreciated what they were trying to do thematically. The Equalist movement was legit.

When this season started, I was really interested in the idea of basically a holy war between the water tribes, with some interesting political stuff and corporate warmongering on the side. I wish the season had revolved completely around that. But I totally lost interest when it devolved into the typical Ancient Evil Awakens storyline. I actually burst out laughing at the Kaiju battle in front of Republic City.

I think I'm done with Korra. I don't hate the show, but it's clear that they are not approaching it the way I want them to.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I've opted to not watch this show at all until it is done, similar to how I didn't watch Avatar: The Last Airbender until it was totally done.

I've heard such conflicting things about Legend of Korra, relative to Last Airbender, that my hopes are...not high. At best, maybe I'll watch it and think it's fine, but nobody really seems to think it is as good or better than Last Airbender.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She IS just a kid, but yeah, she can get REALLY grating at times.

She does a LOT of dumb stuff, but then again, she was born half a century after the war, so she didn't have to grow up as fast as poor Aang did in the first series.

My biggest gripe with this series is the supporting characters really, none of them are as interesting as the ones from the first series, with the exception of Tenzin. Bolin in particular seems worthless - at least Sokka had a role OTHER than comic relief, Bolin's character is purely there for comedy. Don't even get me started on the whole romance part of the show too - it feels like they are catering to the dumb fanbase who kept pairing people up in the first series. It's so forced and just, argh, I hate it so much, just focus on the plot! I don't care about these stupid teenager's love lives!

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@random45 said:

My biggest gripe with this series is the supporting characters really, none of them are as interesting as the ones from the first series, with the exception of Tenzin.

Oh, come on. What about Bumi? Did you see what he did in the last episode?

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Dude..this season has been pretty terrible... The Wan episode was cool but every other character is just terrible. Tenzin consistently fails. ugh...

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#14  Edited By tearhead

I mean, she's not as compelling as Aang was, but she's ok. That said, the arc of Aang dealing with the genocide of his people to his final showdown with the fire lord and how he chooses to resolve it was fucking amazing. Even after all the shit he went through, the kid chooses a peaceful resolution, demonstrating and justifying his people's beliefs.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@random45 said:

My biggest gripe with this series is the supporting characters really, none of them are as interesting as the ones from the first series, with the exception of Tenzin.

Oh, come on. What about Bumi? Did you see what he did in the last episode?

Man, I find Bumi to be obnoxiously annoying.

GnaTSoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My issue with Korra is how much of a teen copy-n-paste she is. Her tropes of boring/simplistic teen love issues, falling for the guy that guy that treats her the worst, teenage stubborness, and others I can't think of at the moment. Of course this is so she's relate-able with the majority teen-viewership, but It's hella grating to me and maybe most, older viewers.

Though I think her genuine design is unique. I liked her a lot, more than Aang, in the first season until that whole love triangle bullshit. So stupid.

But idk.... I keep watching it. It's still the best American cartoon by miles and in some ways better than the animes coming out of japan right now.

Kill La Kill is the best ongoing animation at the moment though. Hella awesome. :D

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tearhead said:

That said, the arc of Aang dealing with the genocide of his people to his final showdown with the fire lord and how he chooses to resolve it was fucking amazing.

Yup.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@random45: I do appreciate that Last Airbender really danced around romance for the most part, only really showing everybody getting together in the finale. I mean, Sokka had his occasional episode where he pined after some girl, and Aang/Katara was obviously implied throughout, but it was always pretty tangential to what was going on.

Haven't watched Legend of Korra yet, but it sounds disappointing that they give it like any time at all.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Wouldn't the worst avatar be Kyoshi, considering she was the one who led to the Dai Lee?

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By The_Ruiner

@animasta said:

Wouldn't the worst avatar be Kyoshi, considering she was the one who led to the Dai Lee?

I mean Roku led to the rise of the Fire Nation conquering the world...

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Animasta

@animasta said:

good point, roku is the worst avatar ever

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Video_Game_King

@animasta:

What about Wan? He's the one who created the problems that necessitated an Avatar in the first place.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sony's Home avatars kinda suck.

GnaTSoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By GnaTSoL

@aegon said:

@tearhead said:

That said, the arc of Aang dealing with the genocide of his people to his final showdown with the fire lord and how he chooses to resolve it was fucking amazing.

Yup.

No way. That whole show resolved poor as hell. Aang went 'Deity' mode on the fire lord and dispensed him too quick. Didn't even seem cool seeing Aang just float around with the elements floating around him.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Animasta

@animasta:

What about Wan? He's the one who created the problems that necessitated an Avatar in the first place.

to be fair, that was totes not his fault, because he was easily manipulated (it was a simpler time, then)

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

(it was a simpler time, then)

Then why was the animation better than the other two shows :P?

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By The_Ruiner

@animasta said:

@the_ruiner said:

@animasta said:

good point, roku is the worst avatar ever

I rate my Avatars on charisma alone... Korra started out ok but she lost it all this season..

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gnatsol: That was the final fight, man. And Aang wasn't exactly having an easy time of it. He only went into "deity mode" on pain of death.

"Fire Lord Ozai, you and your forefathers have devastated the balance of this world, and now, you shall pay the ultimate price".

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You all be crazy. Legend of Korra is a fucking great show and this season has been amazing. Man the internet really likes to shit on everything doesn't it.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man the internet really likes to shit on everything doesn't it.

That's the Internet for you.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I imagine that Korra will mature and grow as the series moves forward--just like Aang. The problem with Aang is that he was always wise and collected; his only notable transformation is when he starts to take his role as Avatar more seriously (toward the end of Book 2 / start of Book 3).

While Korra has had its low points, I feel like some of the best Avatar episodes have been in Korra (namely, the Wan episodes and A New Spiritual Age). For me, there's something significantly more endearing about the path that lays ahead of Korra: she has so much more room to grow than Aang had.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe? I mean how many have we actually seen behave? The sample size seems kind of small for that kind of judgement.

However, she keeps making the same mistake over and over and over again. The writers never make her observe and asks questions. The writers keep having her do some dangerous things just because some character asks her too. Multiple times already she has been tricked by people who lie about their motives and other things where it seems unreasonable that she questions her friends but believes near strangers.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aegon said:

@video_game_king said:

No, I didn't miss that episode. That was really dumb. It's a sorry excuse for character development.

uh, its a show on Nickelodeon. Unless you are a 12 year old that appreciates intense depth and meaningful character development, what did you expect? There are always things that adults can appreciate about shows like this, but it isn't exactly attempting to cater to you completely.

churrific

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By churrific

She's really just a teenager with the emotional issues of well, a teenager. They didn't really go too far beyond that premise in terms of character development so far, and they didn't really have to since she's never really been faced with a truly world-ending event/world conqueror like Ang was, not until just recently. I think having that kind of antagonist from the start would've lead to some good challenges/tension for her to overcome, adding some levity and purpose to her actually being the avatar. Then again, I realize this show was only ever meant for the original mini-season 1, so I think they did an ok storytelling job considering the limited time frame/sudden extension to a second season.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was going to make a comment about Sora being an equally bad avatar but this thread is something else entirely

GnaTSoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You all be crazy. Legend of Korra is a fucking great show and this season has been amazing. Man the internet really likes to shit on everything doesn't it.

I ain't hating just to hate. I honestly do believe it has its issues but it's certainly above and beyond all other american cartoons and some japanese-cliche animes.

I kinda wish the creators were given more time on the series per season to flesh out everything cause certain facets of the cartoon do feel rushed. Also, I definitely wish they weren't constrained by Nickelodeon demographic. I'm done with the whole black & white & teen scheme.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gnatsol said:

I kinda wish the creators were given more time on the series per season to flesh out everything cause certain facets of the cartoon do feel rushed.

Like the "let's stand perfectly still while our mouths move" animation?

Broomhitches

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't like her too much, but I think the lackluster season amplified her weak personality traits.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She can be infuriating at times as she is an emotional teenager with an aggressive competitive nature but every once in awhile she redeems herself and ultimately I like that she is different than Aang.

familyguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By familyguy1

I'm starting to really like her. The thing is...she is a teenager, going through crazy emotional things right now. With how rushed Book 1 was, I really liked this one considering for a while we had no idea if there was going to be one. I only watched ATLA after it fully finished airing. I'm sure there were similar discussions about Aang. When I first started watching ATLA, I was not much of a fan of Aang either, but he grew on me, and I hope Korra will too.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like her, and like some have said, she makes human mistakes. I'm sick and tired of shows that have characters benefiting from luck-knowledge (where either they have a sudden epiphany, or the stars align just in time for their plan to work). Korra seems like an actual teenager trying to fit into pants way out of her league at the moment.

It's understandable that this may frustrate some, but having helped raise my sisters in young-adults (parents were extremely active military), I think it's naive to say this she is a poorly written character. I would venture to say that the frustration she is causing you is exactly the reason she is written well.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MarkWahlberg

The first season was pretty cool, but I didn't even finish the first episode of season 2. Just 'Meh' all around.

That said, maybe the best thing about Korra is how Avatar fans don't like her. Present company excepted, Avatar fans can be almost as annoying as Doctor Who fans, so as someone who didn't watch the original series, Korra is a great way to get into it without feeling like you're succumbing to their bullshit.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Andorski

I couldn't even get passed the first episode of season 2; have they addressed why Korra loses all sense of character development she had in season 1?

I find the whole "teenage rebel who does what she wants to do, suffers for it, and then learns to take responsibility" such a tiring trope, and the fact that Korra seemed to forget everything she learned (exhibited by refusing to listen to Tenzin in the first episode of season 2) had me fearing that the second season would have her go through all the same developmental shit.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By LiquidPrince

@gnatsol said:

@liquidprince said:

I ain't hating just to hate. I honestly do believe it has its issues but it's certainly above and beyond all other american cartoons and some japanese-cliche animes.

I kinda wish the creators were given more time on the series per season to flesh out everything cause certain facets of the cartoon do feel rushed. Also, I definitely wish they weren't constrained by Nickelodeon demographic. I'm done with the whole black & white & teen scheme.

They did give it more time. It's gone from a 1 season show to a 4 season show. People just need the patience to see how everything is going to pan out before yelling to the stars that it's rushed.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquidprince:

To be fair, it's less The Last Airbender's 4 season/1 story arc structure and more "4 separate story arcs somewhat loosely tied together".

GnaTSoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By GnaTSoL

@gnatsol said:

@liquidprince said:

They did give it more time. It's gone from a 1 season show to a 4 season show. People just need the patience to see how everything is going to pan out before yelling to the stars that it's rushed.

The ending of season 1 was obviously rushed. They did not give that section more time going into the new seasons. Season 2 feels totally separate from season 1, but I understand why. It seems though that each season will be its own thing. They won't interlock much in main plot.

Season 2 has been better with pacing, I give you that.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just finished the season...I'm not sure what to think of it, honestly. The fight scenes were actually not bad, but the plot itself...I don't know about this. The changes are huge. Also wtf, no more connection to the rest of the avatars. Bye bye Aang and everyone else. I thought the avatar's soul gets reincarnated into another body. They're not separate spirits with their own memories. So it seems like the memories within that soul are simply gone rather than a connection to multiple souls being lost. That sucks a lot. All the next avatar has is Korra. What a waste.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquidprince:

To be fair, it's less The Last Airbender's 4 season/1 story arc structure and more "4 separate story arcs somewhat loosely tied together".

I really hope that's not the case. I was so bummed that the Equalist movement, which I thought was incredibly daring for a kid's show, went wholly unaddressed in Season 2 in favor of cliche Sealed Evil God nonsense.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#49  Edited By DarthOrange

I almost made it through the entire OP with a straight face.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/slow-lol-zoom.gif

Avatar image for deactivated-62f93c42ce57b
deactivated-62f93c42ce57b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i hate korra. that show is a disgrace to that universe. *sigh* what a pissed away opportunity...