Posted by Aegon (7305 posts) 5 years, 5 months ago

Poll: Korra is the worst avatar ever. (545 votes)

Yes 34%
No 38%
No, that other water tribe avatar was the worst. 29%

Whiny, incompetent, ungrateful, doesn't learn from her mistakes, makes really dumb mistakes consistently, ADHD, deals clumsily with emotional, physical and spiritual challenges. She's worse than the last Water tribe Avatar who lost his face to that thing. Speaking of which, do you remember how well Aang dealt with that situation despite his fear? That sort of tension and atmosphere has never been present in the Korra series. And for some reason all the bad guys are from the water tribe now; Amon, Tarrlok, Korra's uncle, that rich guy, etc. What is up with that? It makes me sad thinking of how well developed and likeable Sokka and Katara were and then looking at this sorry lot of characters. Ugh. They had their issues, but they learned from their mistakes and grew up. A lot of what Aang accomplished would have been impossible without those two. Korra seems unable and unwilling to learn.

"YOU'RE EITHER WITH ME OR AGAINST ME! NEVER DOUBT ME I'M THE AVATAR!!!!"

*gets ass handed to her*

Yes, this was a nerdy rant about a cartoon, deal with it.

#51 Edited by ArbitraryWater (15683 posts) -

Guys, I should really just watch all of The Last Airbender back to back, shouldn't I? I've certainly seen my fair share, but not in any sort of coherent, continuous fashion, at least past book 1 which is the weakest of the seasons. I feel like most of the anger directed at Korra would make more sense if I did that.

#52 Edited by Aegon (7305 posts) -
#53 Posted by ripelivejam (13137 posts) -

nobody nearly as undeniably awesome as toph, but i'm still digging legend of korra quite a bit. the two eps with the first avatar were the best by far, though. i could watch a whole show with that art style (actually kinda wash that WAS the whole show, but this is still damn good).

#54 Posted by ArbitraryWater (15683 posts) -

@aegon said:

@arbitrarywater: I liked it, as you can probably tell.

A lot of people liked it. It's a good show. But I'm hazy on a lot of how the plot develops later in the series, so I figure I'll have to take a look at it, probably around the time I finish OG Fullmetal Alchemist. It's a pity that Amazon Instant Video is a pain to use.

#55 Posted by Octaslash (767 posts) -

@gnatsol said:

I kinda wish the creators were given more time on the series per season to flesh out everything cause certain facets of the cartoon do feel rushed.

Like the "let's stand perfectly still while our mouths move" animation?

The first half of season 2 was done by a different animation studio and it really shows. The back half has some of the most amazing animation and fight cartography I've seen on television though, not to mention the characters' faces actually move.

Avatar image for video_game_king
#56 Posted by Video_Game_King (36564 posts) -

Man, that finale was filled with just as many awesome moments as it was completely fucking crazy moments.

#57 Posted by Aegon (7305 posts) -

Man, that finale was filled with just as many awesome moments as it was completely fucking crazy moments.

Who put this Pacific Rim in my Avatar?

#58 Posted by Hunter5024 (6706 posts) -

I should watch this show.

#59 Posted by Zero_ (2088 posts) -

The first season is pretty ace - 2nd one is bleh.

#60 Edited by Sweep (10588 posts) -

Her inability to learn from her mistakes and repeated bullheadedness is very frustrating, yes. But Korra has never been the star of that cartoon, anyway. Team Bolin!

#61 Edited by egg (1666 posts) -

Hi I have a Kingdom Hearts avatar and am here to debate children's cartoons.

#62 Edited by Blackout62 (2190 posts) -

Compared to the performance of the other Avatars as responsible beings of great power: yes, and that is why she is great. You shove that judge's head into Naga's mouth Jack Bauer style Korra, you just do your thing and make Kyoshi look tame.

#63 Posted by fetchfox (1735 posts) -

@arbitrarywater: Yup, it's quite good. The humor and pacing can be quite childish at times, but a young adult or an adult can find it funny as well. It's very well written, and surprisingly mature at times. Give it a shot.

#64 Edited by knoxt (771 posts) -

well there goes my drive to ever watch it

#65 Posted by RazielCuts (3290 posts) -

MEELO

#66 Posted by Aegon (7305 posts) -

@egg said:

Thanks for the input, Shadow the Hedgehog, best of all Sonic characters (the KH avatar is pretty, leave me alone).

#67 Posted by Video_Game_King (36564 posts) -

@egg said:

And what's wrong with that? What should he rather be doing?

#68 Posted by Tearhead (2468 posts) -

I kind of don't like how the seasons are structured (especially the second one). It feels like a mad dash to an epic fight where Korra somehow finds unexplained immense power from out of nowhere then defeats her foe just as quickly as she obtained it. I mean what the fuck was that Jinora shit about? She is just all of a sudden has an amazing connection to everything spiritual?

#69 Posted by Humanity (18642 posts) -

@egg said:

Debating adult cartoons, like ..Spawn.. or something.

#70 Posted by Tireyo (6710 posts) -

Her demeanor was her demise, and she sucks as avatar.

@sweep said:

Her inability to learn from her mistakes and repeated bullheadedness is very frustrating, yes. But Korra has never been the star of that cartoon, anyway. Team Bolin!

It's hard to believe you actually like that dork.

#71 Posted by Sweep (10588 posts) -
#72 Posted by Tireyo (6710 posts) -

She may be crazy, but Azula can definitely make mincemeat out of Bolin. He wouldn't have a chance once she strikes him with some lightning.

No Caption Provided

#73 Edited by SoldierG654342 (1900 posts) -

I don't know how Korra stacks up against he other characters, but the moment they revealed that not only did they give her amnesia, but when they revealed that when she got her memory back she conveniently doesn't remember the parts where she was a huge bitch nearly made me shoot blood out of my eyeballs.

I don't normally get hung up in the minutia of how a story is told and usually look at things holistically, but goddamn that moment made me furious.

#74 Edited by Sweep (10588 posts) -

@tireyo said:

@sweep said:

She may be crazy, but Azula can definitely make mincemeat out of Bolin. He wouldn't have a chance once she strikes him with some lightning.

No Caption Provided

Pfft, back in the day Lightning was like the secret power that you could only unlock through meditation and practice, but now they're standard using it to power fuckin' factories. Bolin is a badass AND he's hilarious. Fuck fire benders.

#75 Posted by Party (146 posts) -

@soldierg654342 said:

I don't know how Korra stacks up against he other characters, but the moment they revealed that not only did they give her amnesia, but when they revealed that when she got her memory back she conveniently doesn't remember the parts where she was a huge bitch nearly made me shoot blood out of my eyeballs.

I don't normally get hung up in the minutia of how a story is told and usually look at things holistically, but goddamn that moment made me furious.

I believe in the final episode of the season (where Korra and Mako have their little break-up chit chat) she mentions that she did remember or at least that her memory was coming back to her. Sooooo, she probably remembers all her bitchiness too.

#76 Edited by Video_Game_King (36564 posts) -

@sweep said:

Fuck fire benders.

No Caption Provided

#77 Posted by Crembaw (894 posts) -

@humanity said:

@video_game_king said:

@egg said:

Debating adult cartoons, like ..Spawn.. or something.

Aeon Flux is the only cartoon adults are allowed to like according to my college 'friend.'

#78 Edited by Tireyo (6710 posts) -

@sweep said:

@tireyo said:

@sweep said:

No Caption Provided

Pfft, back in the day Lightning was like the secret power that you could only unlock through meditation and practice, but now they're standard using it to power fuckin' factories. Bolin is a badass AND he's hilarious. Fuck fire benders.

What do you have to say about blood benders then eh? They can make you their puppet!

#79 Edited by NegativeCero (3158 posts) -

Sure out of the two Avatars that we've really been shown for extended periods of time, I can see how you may not like one.

I should probably watch Book 2.

#80 Edited by Humanity (18642 posts) -

@crembaw: Well Aeon Flux is a really cool cartoon so he's not completely wrong.

Lightening bending was really cool in the original series. I haven't seen this one but it does seem like they're starting to play fast and loose with the powers. Also Azula was like my favorite characters.

#81 Edited by markies (63 posts) -

I just don't think Korra is very believable. Aang was very spiritual and it took him several seasons for him to control the avatar form and go into the spirit world. Korra had no spirituality whatsoever but mastered everything in a matter of days..

#82 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (5578 posts) -

How can you say Korra is the worst Avatar when we've only really seen like 3 Avatars on the show and we skip the majority of their lives. Heck Aang could of been a dickish Darth Vadar character throughout his life who only found salvation towards the end, but we wouldn't know it.

#83 Posted by Video_Game_King (36564 posts) -

we've only really seen like 3 Avatars on the show

1. Aang
  2. Korra
  3. Roku
  4. Kyoshi
  5. That surfer guy
  6. That airbender lady
  7. Some of the people Vaatu fucked up in the finale (?)
  8. Wan

Three.

Heck Aang could of been a dickish Darth Vadar character throughout his life who only found salvation towards the end, but we wouldn't know it.

Except nothing of what we've seen of him hints toward any of that. The guy tried to avoid conflict and only used force when he ran out of options; that's quite a ways away from Force choking a dude for being a moron.

#84 Posted by phrosnite (3519 posts) -

Yes, she is. I like the character or the design of her Kappa but the whole series has been disappointing. But that's what you get for doing a sequel to one of the best animated series ever made.

#85 Posted by TheBlueFrog (5 posts) -

She is a poor character, that special with Wan was like a shot of adrenaline but then the Korra storyline came back. The entire run until this point felt like they were trying to copy and paste different character archetypes from The Last Airbender but failing miserably. Mako is Zuko lite, Bolin is Sokka lite, and Bei Fong is Toph lite (was ok until this season). The Aubrey Plaza water bending twin is incredibly difficult to stand, the whole apathetic goth theme seems so strained at this point. I feel like the creators are holding a lot of the fans of the original series hostage with the story of the former main cast being teased but at some point it wont be enough.

#86 Posted by pyrodactyl (4221 posts) -

wait, is there a new season starting?

#87 Edited by Aegon (7305 posts) -

Ha! It just ended.

#88 Posted by pyrodactyl (4221 posts) -

@aegon said:

@pyrodactyl said:

Ha! It just ended.

Should I check it out? I thought the ending to the first season was pretty definitive/rushed/not so good. What's the main conflict in the second season?

#89 Posted by Aegon (7305 posts) -

@aegon said:

@pyrodactyl said:

Ha! It just ended.

Should I check it out? I thought the ending to the first season was pretty definitive/rushed/not so good. What's the main conflict in the second season?

The only reason I'm watching is because of the Last Airbender. I have a lot of problems with Legend of Korra as well, so it's up to you. The main conflict comes from the same source, but the nature of it changes throughout the season. It would be a spoiler to say exactly what it is, I guess. Though it's pretty typical.

#90 Posted by Aegon (7305 posts) -

Reviving this thread because I've watched the first 3 episodes of Season 3 and they only reinforce my feelings towards Korra. I've already posted this in the anime thread, but I think maybe the rage contained within the post is better suited to this thread. My impressions of the episodes sort of contain spoilers, so be warned:

• It's not just Korra being a big fat jerk this time around. It's her whole gang. Is it so hard to believe that people don't want to be bullied away from their families, lives and cultures in order to be implanted into a foreign lifestyle and culture they have no connection with? What freaking assholes. It's like people knocking on your doors trying to convert you, but even more forceful and indignant.
  • Also what about the part where she says people JUST HAVE TO DEAL WITH IT!!! And Tenzin is totally fine and encourages her despite the fact that people HAVE LOST THEIR FUCKING HOMES. YOU'VE MADE PEOPLE HOMELESS YOU PIECE OF LIVING SHIT! Aang would not act as Tenzin and his selfish student have. Korra keeps yelling, "I'M THE AVATAR. I'M THE AVATAR. THAT MEANS I CAN DO WHAT I WANT DAMMIT." Well do something that doesn't cause an irreparable disaster for once! You're the Avatar and balance and harmony are your job. Restore harmony and find a way to give people their homes back while settling spirits in areas where they're not overturning everything. You caused this mess, you little..you little...GAH! Instead you're roaming around trying to bully people into joining Tenzin's clan, which of course he's totally cool with. Cause he's also a selfish jerk.
  • I think they do a slightly better job with the humorous moments, but are still clumsy with more serious / heartfelt stuff.
  • Grandpa Zuko. Where'd you get that dragon from? How old are you?
  • Are those prisoners being freed by this Zahir guy from the comic books?
  • Fight scenes look good.

I'm going to continue watching the show, because despite the scathing words above, I still think there's a glimmer of hope. I do enjoy some things this show does...some times. So yeah, maybe I'll post more impressions down the road when more episodes are out.

#91 Edited by theacidskull (1093 posts) -

@aegon: You need to chill, because I feel that you are seriously nitpicking. I agree that Korra was kinda a jerk but she has grown and it's definitely shown here. And she doesn't flat out diss people, she directly says that she understand why they are mad, and she is trying her best to actually work things out, but that takes time. Also, you'd think that by now people would be a tad more grateful considering that Korra, despite causing some problems, saved fucking everyone. And they understand why people don't leave their homes, it's just that they saw the whole situation going down a bit differently at first, and the writers obviously tried to take a comedic route around that fact, which is something both the old and the new avatar shows are known for . The gang, however, really want these aribenders to make a sacrifice and join their cause because it's IMPORTANT to restore balance, which as you so kindly pointed out, is the avatars job.

Speaking of which, Korra is doing a pretty good job of maintaining the balance, considering it was her choice to merge the two worlds that brought the air benders back, which in retrospect restores a long lost equilibrium in the world of avatar. And are you honestly expecting her to solve the problem in 3 episodes? Wouldn't that fucking diminish a major plot in the season? I mean seriously, not to be rude or anything, but at this point if feel that you are just hating for the sake that it's not the avatar you like.

BTW, Aang was levele headed, but he was far from prefect, if I remember correctly he was running away from his responsibilities quite a lot. Plus if they made Korra like Aang it would be stupid and boring.

#92 Posted by theacidskull (1093 posts) -

BTW Season 1 was great, season 2 was shit for about 7 episodes but then it picked up, and season 3 is off to a really good start.

#93 Edited by Aegon (7305 posts) -

@theacidskull said:

@aegon: You need to chill, because I feel that you are seriously nitpicking. I agree that Korra was kinda a jerk but she has grown and it's definitely shown here. And she doesn't flat out diss people, she directly says that she understand why they are mad, and she is trying her best to actually work things out, but that takes time. Also, you'd think that by now people would be a tad more grateful considering that Korra, despite causing some problems, saved fucking everyone. And they understand why people don't leave their homes, it's just that they saw the whole situation going down a bit differently at first, and the writers obviously tried to take a comedic route around that fact, which is something both the old and the new avatar shows are known for . The gang, however, really want these aribenders to make a sacrifice and join their cause because it's IMPORTANT to restore balance, which as you so kindly pointed out, is the avatars job.

Speaking of which, Korra is doing a pretty good job of maintaining the balance, considering it was her choice to merge the two worlds that brought the air benders back, which in retrospect restores a long lost equilibrium in the world of avatar. And are you honestly expecting her to solve the problem in 3 episodes? Wouldn't that fucking diminish a major plot in the season? I mean seriously, not to be rude or anything, but at this point if feel that you are just hating for the sake that it's not the avatar you like.

BTW, Aang was levele headed, but he was far from prefect, if I remember correctly he was running away from his responsibilities quite a lot. Plus if they made Korra like Aang it would be stupid and boring.

I'm not expecting her to solve everything right away, but she doesn't have her priorities straight. She's even been convinced by Tenzin that the problems of Republic City don't need to be solved! The fact is, she had no idea that air benders would start popping up again. That was an accident. Tenzin is happy for that accident and is overexcited and acting irrationally in his quest to restore the Air Nomads. Korra is helping him in his irrational ways. Trying to muscle people into it. I'm not going to congratulate her for an accident. I am going to blame her for the backlash of a hastily made decision of which she had no idea what the consequences would be (combining spirit world with physical world).

I don't want her to be a female carbon-copy of Aang. I like the part of her that's tough, but I also want her to be able to self-analyze a bit more. And be less self-important.

#94 Edited by smcn (958 posts) -

BTW Season 1 was great, season 2 was shit for about 7 episodes but then it picked up,

6 episodes to be exact. I just marathoned the whole season over the past couple days. By the time I got to Beginnings (which is when Studio Mir was brought back in) I'd almost forgotten what proper facial animation looked like.

> and season 3 is off to a really good start.

Hell yeah it is.
Hell yeah it is.

#95 Posted by Familyguy1 (108 posts) -

Loving Season 3 already!

#96 Posted by Niceanims (1754 posts) -

I'll have to catch up.

#97 Posted by theacidskull (1093 posts) -

@aegon said:

@theacidskull said:

I'm not expecting her to solve everything right away, but she doesn't have her priorities straight. She's even been convinced by Tenzin that the problems of Republic City don't need to be solved! The fact is, she had no idea that air benders would start popping up again. That was an accident. Tenzin is happy for that accident and is overexcited and acting irrationally in his quest to restore the Air Nomads. Korra is helping him in his irrational ways. Trying to muscle people into it. I'm not going to congratulate her for an accident. I am going to blame her for the backlash of a hastily made decision of which she had no idea what the consequences would be (combining spirit world with physical world).

I don't want her to be a female carbon-copy of Aang. I like the part of her that's tough, but I also want her to be able to self-analyze a bit more. And be less self-important.

It wasn't an accident, it was hunch, and instinct, and she is the first avatar to have come to this conclusion, even though SHE didn't know it would restore airbenders, she knew that merging the two world was the right away.

Tenzen never said that she mustn't solve the problems in republic city, he just told her that she has made the right decision, because it brought the air benders back. And yes he is overexcited, because it was his fatheres dream, but again, you shouldn't get really mad at that because it was a comedic montage, they understand why some people won't leave, but they still try because it's important to the balance.

Also, Korra can't solve the republic problems if she is kicked out of the city, and yeah I know she made the I AM LEAVING comment, but she said that because it fits her stubborn personality.

And where was she self-important here, the only comment she made about being the avatar was to convince the hipster airbender to join the cause, because it was his duty.

#98 Edited by theacidskull (1093 posts) -

Anyways..

The series is off to a very strong start, in fact I'm already dying to see what is next. I love that Korra is much more mature now, and I love every single character on the show. EVERY SINGLE ONE, especially Tenzan(who apparently is the worst salesmen ever) . The idea of air benders appearing all over the world seems like an interesting way to go back to the old Travel the world formula, which in all honesty does give the show the last airbender feeling.

The villains seems pretty cool as well, and as far as I can tell, aside from being really unique and complete nut jobs, they seem to think that they are doing the right thing, so I wonder what is their cause? it has only been teased at this point. Will it have the same twist that's about to come up with the Earth Queen? That maybe Korra was fighting for the wrong person? And that she'll join up with the four villains? Nah.

And now for some awesome moments:

• Zuko has a dragon, you're argument is invalid.
  • " THESE MAGGOTS WILL KNEEL BEFORE ME!"
  • Bumi and everything associated with him.
  • Asami and Korra being besties.
  • The elevator scene with Zuko has to be one of the best scenes, EVER.

that is all I've got for now.

#99 Posted by Aegon (7305 posts) -

@theacidskull: Why would she join the villains? That dude said he wants to kill the Avatar.

#100 Posted by theacidskull (1093 posts) -

@aegon said:

@theacidskull: Why would she join the villains? That dude said he wants to kill the Avatar.

Depends on the WHY

It was just a weird guess, I suppose. Considering that one of the gang members who kept stealing the Earth Queens tax money said that the avatar was fighting for the wrong side, I kind of got the idea from there.

Plus I kinda dismissed myself on that assumption anyways.