Korra is the worst avatar ever.

Posted by Aegon (7313 posts) 5 years, 9 months ago

Poll: Korra is the worst avatar ever. (545 votes)

Yes 34%
No 38%
No, that other water tribe avatar was the worst. 29%

Whiny, incompetent, ungrateful, doesn't learn from her mistakes, makes really dumb mistakes consistently, ADHD, deals clumsily with emotional, physical and spiritual challenges. She's worse than the last Water tribe Avatar who lost his face to that thing. Speaking of which, do you remember how well Aang dealt with that situation despite his fear? That sort of tension and atmosphere has never been present in the Korra series. And for some reason all the bad guys are from the water tribe now; Amon, Tarrlok, Korra's uncle, that rich guy, etc. What is up with that? It makes me sad thinking of how well developed and likeable Sokka and Katara were and then looking at this sorry lot of characters. Ugh. They had their issues, but they learned from their mistakes and grew up. A lot of what Aang accomplished would have been impossible without those two. Korra seems unable and unwilling to learn.

"YOU'RE EITHER WITH ME OR AGAINST ME! NEVER DOUBT ME I'M THE AVATAR!!!!"

*gets ass handed to her*

Yes, this was a nerdy rant about a cartoon, deal with it.

#101 Posted by Gerhabio (1996 posts) -

I really hated the first season and the changes it introduced to the world of Avatar. The fact that everybody can metal bend, lightning bend and even blood bend now really cheapens what were crazy abilities in the first season. I wouldn't be surprised (but I would still be very much disappointed) if Mako and other firebenders started using blue flames like it was nothing.

For me the comedy has been very hit-or-miss throughout the first two seasons (with emphasis on miss). It's just way more childish than it was in the first series (it is for 12 yo so whatevs) and much more reliant on anime-style overreaction and ironic interruptions. It feels especially inappropriate since the original Team Avatar were much younger than Korra's. I swear they are way more immature than their Last Airbender counterparts.

I thought the premise of Season 1 was great but rushed and badly executed. It didn't really go anywhere and didn't feel as consequential to the world as Aang's anti-genocidal quest. Korra's Season 2's premise wasn't as inventive but was better done (plus we all loved the Wan specials) and HOLY SHIT, all those changes to the universe of Avatar. I was really surprised but actually think it's a good move. It's time they dissassociated Korra from Last Airbender and cut ties completely so the series can stand on its own merits. I love Last Airbender but hated that most callbacks were disappointing at best and forced at worst (I'm looking at you, Iroh) If they want to go back to those characters they should do a special or animate the comic book epilogues.

NOW, IF ANYONE COULD EXPLAIN TO ME:

What the fuck was that kaiju shit at the end of Season 2? I can't understand it for the life of me. I remember the lion turtle in the Last Airbender taught Aang to bend the energy within theirselves (their soul? their chakra?) like the ancients did and that's how he was able to take away the Fire Lord's bending. Was that what Korra did? Learn how to bend raw energy itself and created a kaiju? She did it without Rava, does that mean anyone can do it? I mean, her whole thing's she sucks at spirituality so any middling guru should be able to destroy the world, right? And what about Tenzin's daughter? How come she was able to revive Rava even though she said it would take tens of thousands of years to do so?

HELP!

#102 Posted by BabyChooChoo (7093 posts) -

I haven't watched an ounce of Korra since season 1 so all I wanna know is if Korra is still an insufferable cunt who "wins" because the story demands it or did they actually introduce any character development?

#103 Edited by Aegon (7313 posts) -

@babychoochoo: Her wins still come from bad writing if that answers your question. Watch season two for spiritual Kaiju fights.

#104 Posted by billymagnum (919 posts) -

i barely made it through the first season. i have absolutely no interest in watching anymore. the original series is insurmountable and this series is just one big mistake.

#105 Posted by kindgineer (3102 posts) -

You guys give way too much credit to the first Airbender. I mean, it was a great show, but stop acting likes is the anime form of the Godfather series. The Legend of Korra pales in comparison, but its a bit much to go on a rage war about two imaginary characters, isn't it?

#106 Edited by altairre (1492 posts) -

If you ask me if something is the worst ever my finger automatically clicks the no option, nothing I can do about it.

Now, I have only watched the first season and a few episodes of the second one but no, I don't think she's the worst Avatar ever. The show is pretty entertaining so far and yes, there are issues with the writing (namely that it's often lazy) but I watched The Last Airbender recently for the first time too and that had a lot of issues as well (namely its often lazy writing). At least Korra has some kind of personality and she's more interesting to me than Aang. Aang was an more or less a bland idiot throughout the whole series and I didn't care about him at all.

I still think The Last Airbender is the better show because it had really great side characters even if Katara and Sokka were infuriating at times as well (especially Sokka, fuck this guy's humour). In the end the animation helps me to see past some of that stuff and who knows, maybe I'll say "fuck this show" once I'm done with the second season as well.

#107 Posted by Jazz_Lafayette (3897 posts) -
@altairre said:

If you ask me if something is the worst ever my finger automatically clicks the no option, nothing I can do about it.

You're better for it.

#108 Edited by SoldierG654342 (1900 posts) -

The things that made Korra interesting in the first season (essentially being a proto-typical teenage male hero, only a girl) were cranked up to eleven in the second season to the point where she became totally unsympathetic. She got so bad that the writers saw no way out of the hole they dug themselves than amnesia. I haven't watched any of the new season and don't really care to because season 2 left such a bad taste in my mouth, so I don't know if things have changed. Regardless, that amnesia plot in season 2 was one of the most infuriating things I've ever watched.

#109 Posted by brightwing (13 posts) -

I came across an interesting, more intelligent take on Korra a few months ago. Book 4 - Matter. I loved how the author implemented actual Native Alaskan Inupiat lifestyle into the story, explored the full potential of the setting.. And he actually made Korra likeable.

Republic City has developed science along with modern technology. Korra isn't struggling with an Evil Emperor like Aang did but instead differences of class, power, wealth, political equality, and so on. The focus of the story is in exploring these aspects of LoK's setting, as well as how a city evolves economically, socially, and politically. How Republic City could have developed as quickly as it did and how it could have become what it is. All these really interesting things that the actual show totally ignores in favor of terribly written romance and incredibly boring action scenes.

In the show Korra always wins via bullshit, and writers take such little interest in exploring Republic City - you mostly don't notice how little Korra does to actually address the city's problems.

#110 Edited by Jazz_Lafayette (3897 posts) -
@brightwing said:

I came across an interesting, more intelligent take on Korra a few months ago. Book 4 - Matter. I loved how the author implemented actual Native Alaskan Inupiat lifestyle into the story, explored the full potential of the setting.. And he actually made Korra likeable.

Republic City has developed science along with modern technology. Korra isn't struggling with an Evil Emperor like Aang did but instead differences of class, power, wealth, political equality, and so on. The focus of the story is in exploring these aspects of LoK's setting, as well as how a city evolves economically, socially, and politically. How Republic City could have developed as quickly as it did and how it could have become what it is. All these really interesting things that the actual show totally ignores in favor of terribly written romance and incredibly boring action scenes.

In the show Korra always wins via bullshit, and writers take such little interest in exploring Republic City - you mostly don't notice how little Korra does to actually address the city's problems.

I haven't seen any yet, myself, but the review I read of the third season's first three episodes made it sound as though they're addressing those thematic problems exactly.

#111 Posted by shinjin977 (911 posts) -

i hate korra. that show is a disgrace to that universe. *sigh* what a pissed away opportunity...

I really love that first show back when I was in college in the states and it is comments like yours that have scared me away from watching any of the second season. A damn shame. The first show is right up there with FMA/Breaking Bad for me.

#112 Posted by brightwing (13 posts) -

@dark_lord_spam:

Wait - book 3 is out already? Gah that settles it, I am living under a rock ._.

Scurries off to find all aired episodes at once..

#113 Posted by Pfhorlol (35 posts) -

I saw all of Korra season 1 and thought it was meh but had potential, but the first half of season 2 really didn't make me want to watch the rest of it. The super prominent and poorly written romance subplots and lack of any characters I can get attached to turned me off.

I guess I should anyway just to know how it turned out though.

#114 Posted by Jazz_Lafayette (3897 posts) -

@dark_lord_spam:

Wait - book 3 is out already? Gah that settles it, I am living under a rock ._.

Scurries off to find all aired episodes at once..

Not at all! Apparently, Nickolodeon announced the renewal only a few days before the first episode was aired, Beyonce-style. The only reason I found out about it was that YouTube remembered I had watched the season 2 trailer and gave me a heads-up.

#115 Posted by Daveyo520 (7766 posts) -

She's trying.

#116 Edited by BabyChooChoo (7093 posts) -

@aegon said:

@babychoochoo: Her wins still come from bad writing if that answers your question. Watch season two for spiritual Kaiju fights.

Yuuup, that's exactly what I wanted to know. Sigh, that's a bummer. The end of season 1 is still rubs me the wrong way. "You didn't learn a damn thing, but you creid sooooooo...YOU UNLOCKED THE AVATAR STATE. CONGRATULATIONS! YOU'RE WINNER!"

#117 Posted by ripelivejam (13226 posts) -

the lengths the internet will go to to try to make me despise something i really enjoyed...

#118 Posted by ripelivejam (13226 posts) -

@aegon said:

@theacidskull said:

@aegon: You need to chill, because I feel that you are seriously nitpicking. I agree that Korra was kinda a jerk but she has grown and it's definitely shown here. And she doesn't flat out diss people, she directly says that she understand why they are mad, and she is trying her best to actually work things out, but that takes time. Also, you'd think that by now people would be a tad more grateful considering that Korra, despite causing some problems, saved fucking everyone. And they understand why people don't leave their homes, it's just that they saw the whole situation going down a bit differently at first, and the writers obviously tried to take a comedic route around that fact, which is something both the old and the new avatar shows are known for . The gang, however, really want these aribenders to make a sacrifice and join their cause because it's IMPORTANT to restore balance, which as you so kindly pointed out, is the avatars job.

Speaking of which, Korra is doing a pretty good job of maintaining the balance, considering it was her choice to merge the two worlds that brought the air benders back, which in retrospect restores a long lost equilibrium in the world of avatar. And are you honestly expecting her to solve the problem in 3 episodes? Wouldn't that fucking diminish a major plot in the season? I mean seriously, not to be rude or anything, but at this point if feel that you are just hating for the sake that it's not the avatar you like.

BTW, Aang was levele headed, but he was far from prefect, if I remember correctly he was running away from his responsibilities quite a lot. Plus if they made Korra like Aang it would be stupid and boring.

I'm not expecting her to solve everything right away, but she doesn't have her priorities straight. She's even been convinced by Tenzin that the problems of Republic City don't need to be solved! The fact is, she had no idea that air benders would start popping up again. That was an accident. Tenzin is happy for that accident and is overexcited and acting irrationally in his quest to restore the Air Nomads. Korra is helping him in his irrational ways. Trying to muscle people into it. I'm not going to congratulate her for an accident. I am going to blame her for the backlash of a hastily made decision of which she had no idea what the consequences would be (combining spirit world with physical world).

I don't want her to be a female carbon-copy of Aang. I like the part of her that's tough, but I also want her to be able to self-analyze a bit more. And be less self-important.

well people aren't nearly perfect in real life; it's why i like Shinji so much as a character. even people who are supposedly on the noble side of things, or truly believe what they're doing is good, can be catastrophically fucking things up and making poor decisions, and be somewhat understandably blind to those consequences. i think it makes for more interesting television than some well-adjusted and centered monk that has only one or two small character flaws, at most (much as i like aang).

and yeah, like others said, it's only three episodes in so we haven't even seen their development from where they started yet. and it's not like A:TLA was always subtle and graceful in its plotting decisions.

#119 Posted by billymagnum (919 posts) -

@billymagnum said:

i hate korra. that show is a disgrace to that universe. *sigh* what a pissed away opportunity...

I really love that first show back when I was in college in the states and it is comments like yours that have scared me away from watching any of the second season. A damn shame. The first show is right up there with FMA/Breaking Bad for me.

i tried to be so positive about it but it is what it is and it is bad.

#120 Edited by Sweep (10608 posts) -
#121 Edited by Sweep (10608 posts) -
#122 Posted by underattack86 (29 posts) -

You a hater, you all haters, this whole thread is hatin, y'all racist

#stopthehate
#whereisthelove
#squashthebeef

#123 Edited by Allison (272 posts) -

I bet there's tons of worst Avatars; it's just that Korra and Aang are the only two we know enough about.

I really like Korra as a character but as a show the writers seem like they don't know how to write a female character, especially one as important as The Avatar. Her being impulsive or hot-headed are turned up to 11 and she doesn't seem to learn anything for long. She'll fight a super bad guy one week and then a few weeks later trust the next one she runs into.

I'll be honest, I didn't watch Last Airbender much if at all but was the show as awkwardly paced as Korra is? A lot of the time we're following around several side-characters with that impart a sliver of 'world building' in their stories. Shortly after it turns out something bigger's been happening and oh no they're a part of it now! It feels less like The Legend of Korra and her adventures, and more like "The Legend of Korra" and here's Link and his super friends to help save the day.

#124 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3229 posts) -

@allison: A lot of the problem is that in the first series, Aang was a way more passive Avatar; he didn't want to fight, absolutely refused to kill, and preferred running away to dealing with problems directly. Avoiding conflict and trying to resolve things peacefully, being very evasive and generally immature, and also being an emotional and sensitive kinda guy. When they made Korra, part of the plan was to make an Avatar that was pretty much his opposite; arrogant, headstrong, prefers to fight first and figure out what's going on later.

Also the first series was generally paced better, at least once you got out of the first season.

#125 Posted by rmanthorp (4636 posts) -

I can't get over how whiny she is... She learns it all at the end of the season then falls back into the same wah wah I'm the avatar shit over and over... I like the series but damn Korra is my least favourite character.

#127 Posted by Hailinel (25785 posts) -

@allison: A lot of the problem is that in the first series, Aang was a way more passive Avatar; he didn't want to fight, absolutely refused to kill, and preferred running away to dealing with problems directly. Avoiding conflict and trying to resolve things peacefully, being very evasive and generally immature, and also being an emotional and sensitive kinda guy. When they made Korra, part of the plan was to make an Avatar that was pretty much his opposite; arrogant, headstrong, prefers to fight first and figure out what's going on later.

Also the first series was generally paced better, at least once you got out of the first season.

So they intentionally made her a knucklehead?

#128 Posted by ripelivejam (13226 posts) -

im loving the water arms bender tbh. kinda hope she's a bit of a deeper character too; haven't really had an unusual bender like that since toph. cool design nonetheless.

#129 Posted by VioleGrace (106 posts) -

Well ya she's annoying and everything but i think it's alright ,

What i REALLY hate about her is that she still loves that bastard Mako after he always cheats on her , just after they broke up in season 2 he got back to Asami , she is so stupid and that's what i mostly hate about her character .

#130 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3229 posts) -

@hailinel: Well... sort of, I guess? I mean, with Aang, you had a dude who wanted to sit down and talk things out, who got upset easy, who cried, who had a good hold on his temper but lied and tried to worm his way out of responsibility. The entire thing was kicked off because he ran away from home when he found out he was the Avatar, that being the only reason he survived his people getting wiped out when the war started. He lied to his friends, to people they met along the way, and generally hoped everything would find a way to work out without him. That said, he still stepped up when he had to. It just took some prodding and near constant attempts on his life.

With Korra, they wanted to make sure they didn't have a female version of Aang, so they made her a chick who loved to fight, made her want to kind of get in everyone's business and solve their problems herself. I take it as an inferiority complex, being the Avatar after the dude who ended a century long war and all. She loves being the Avatar, when Aang never wanted to be the Avatar at all. She wants to live up to the legacy and be great, while Aang was perfectly content to hide out until he realized the world was basically going to end if he didn't do something. Korra's... well, I'll be frank, I can barely stand her most of the time. I can barely stand most of the people in Korra; Tenzin and Mako are the other two standouts. But I do at least see what they were going for when they made her, and I even liked her at the start of the series. It's just that as time goes on... well, I don't like the Legend of Korra at all. It's a shame.

#131 Posted by Hailinel (25785 posts) -

@hailinel: Well... sort of, I guess? I mean, with Aang, you had a dude who wanted to sit down and talk things out, who got upset easy, who cried, who had a good hold on his temper but lied and tried to worm his way out of responsibility. The entire thing was kicked off because he ran away from home when he found out he was the Avatar, that being the only reason he survived his people getting wiped out when the war started. He lied to his friends, to people they met along the way, and generally hoped everything would find a way to work out without him. That said, he still stepped up when he had to. It just took some prodding and near constant attempts on his life.

With Korra, they wanted to make sure they didn't have a female version of Aang, so they made her a chick who loved to fight, made her want to kind of get in everyone's business and solve their problems herself. I take it as an inferiority complex, being the Avatar after the dude who ended a century long war and all. She loves being the Avatar, when Aang never wanted to be the Avatar at all. She wants to live up to the legacy and be great, while Aang was perfectly content to hide out until he realized the world was basically going to end if he didn't do something. Korra's... well, I'll be frank, I can barely stand her most of the time. I can barely stand most of the people in Korra; Tenzin and Mako are the other two standouts. But I do at least see what they were going for when they made her, and I even liked her at the start of the series. It's just that as time goes on... well, I don't like the Legend of Korra at all. It's a shame.

Ah, thanks for the explanation. I honestly haven't seen much of Legend of Korra. It's just blows my mind that, from what I've read in this thread, the writers dropped the ball when developing her as a character given what they were able to do with Aang and the original cast.

#132 Edited by Jazz_Lafayette (3897 posts) -

Hold the phone, I just got to episode 5 of book 3 and want to know... why the fuck no one here mentioned the sudden appearance of Windjammers in Legend of Korra. There's a sport literally called "power disc" that involves two competitors at opposite ends of a court, acrobatically flinging the nominal frisbee around obstacles to score. Like, how am I finding no mention of it on this website?

#133 Posted by Hailinel (25785 posts) -

Hold the phone, I just got to episode 5 of book 3 and want to know... why the fuck no one here mentioned the sudden appearance of Windjammers in Legend of Korra. There's a sport literally called "power disc" that involves two competitors at opposite ends of a court, acrobatically flinging the nominal frisbee around obstacles to score. Like, how am I finding no mention of it on this website?

Because disc-based scoring games didn't originate with Windjammers.

#134 Posted by splodge (2786 posts) -

I agree that Korra is a whiney, hateful mong-face but holy shit am I enjoying the mos recent season. Lot's of action and less pubescent teen bullshit between the characters (that was their big mistake with the first two seasons).

#135 Edited by Jazz_Lafayette (3897 posts) -

Having now marathoned straight through episode 11, and unlocking my jaw to realize I had my teeth clenched through the last five minutes, I'll say that this season not only blows books one and two of Korra out of the water, but could give any season of AtLA a run for its money. The team behind this show is managing to do things creatively that executives at your AMCs and HBOs are still afraid to, and if it has to run off-air for Nickelodeon to fund it to completion, so be it.

@hailinel: I know of... frisbee golf? Fetch, in a universe where people play fetch competitively? You show me a virtual clone of a Windjammers arena, and tell me the damn thing is named "power disc," and I'll guarantee that there's an animator on staff who knows their B. Yoo (S. Miller?) from their L. Biaggi.

#136 Posted by Hailinel (25785 posts) -

Having now marathoned straight through episode 11, and unlocking my jaw to realize I had my teeth clenched through the last five minutes, I'll say that this season not only blows books one and two of Korra out of the water, but could give any season of AtLA a run for its money. The team behind this show is managing to do things creatively that executives at your AMCs and HBOs are still afraid to, and if it has to run off-air for Nickelodeon to fund it to completion, so be it.

@hailinel: I know of... frisbee golf? Fetch, in a universe where people play fetch competitively? You show me a virtual clone of a Windjammers arena, and tell me the damn thing is named "power disc," and I'll guarantee that there's an animator on staff who knows their B. Yoo (S. Miller?) from their L. Biaggi.

Windjammers is basically Pong with athletes instead of paddles. And then there are games like Discs of Tron that are more obviously about competitive disc slinging.

#137 Posted by Jazz_Lafayette (3897 posts) -

@hailinel: But power disc, man. There's allusions, and there's making a straight-up reference.

#138 Posted by Hailinel (25785 posts) -

@hailinel: But power disc, man. There's allusions, and there's making a straight-up reference.

Even if it is a reference, it's not really something to get hyped about here. This is a thread about Korra the character, not video game references in TV shows. We're dragging this off-topic.

#139 Posted by theacidskull (1095 posts) -

Korra is great. She had her character arc and yes she did have her own demons to fight off but so did Aang. Korra is no different than the other avatars, they are all humans trying to do the right thing. What did you expect? That she would be the same sweet tempered lovable kid like Aang? That's done already, korra is a new character and the gave her new obstacles that would fit her personality. Whilst Korra is stubborn and brash, Aang had problems accepting his role as the avatar and was trying very hard at the beginning to escape his Identity and responsibility. He also had a hard time letting go, which was apt for his character. These are all flaws, but because of Aang's nature, people tend to let it slide. I personally really like Korra and feel that she has evolved as a character, considering she is much more level headed and calm.

Besides, Season 3 is an absolute blast.

#140 Edited by EXTomar (5047 posts) -

This season is great because they ditched "Korra With Attitude" in favor of Korra willing to listen to her closest friends and allies. Also they've added a lot to all of the other main characters where multiple times in multiple episodes they've had their big moments to shine. They've also done a bit to show that the bad guys are bad guys for logical reasons which are the most dangerous bad guys.

I just wish Nickelodeon wasn't being such morons about how they are handling the show.

#141 Edited by Aegon (7313 posts) -

It's pretty hilarious how Korra decided to out herself in the spiritual realm rather than just observe Zahir. Of course that got her kidnapped.

But I agree with the sentiment that the current season is the best of the three thus far. The bad guys are at least interesting this time around. Sucks that the Earth King's daughter is such an asshole (or should I say, was ..muahahah).

Also that fight at the end of ep 11 was pretty intense. It was almost getting too real there at the end where they're knocking Tenzin about.

#142 Posted by sravankb (544 posts) -

What i REALLY hate about her is that she still loves that bastard Mako after he always cheats on her , just after they broke up in season 2 he got back to Asami , she is so stupid and that's what i mostly hate about her character .

Well, that decides it. I was planning on giving the second season a chance, but fuck that. The love triangle bullshit is so goddamn awful in the first season, I honestly thought that they would never bring it up in the second. In addition to what's already been said here about her terrible character, this honestly is the crap cherry on the shitcake.

#143 Posted by hermes (2629 posts) -

I have a LOT of issues with the new Avatar series that go beyond the changes in the main character (to the point I would call myself nitpicky)...

I just don't like most of the changes in the world and bending that they made...

Compared to that, having a new avatar with a very different personality is just chump change...

#144 Posted by pyrodactyl (4221 posts) -

Season 3 has been great and I feel like Korra isn't terrible as an avatar in that one. Really hope the true motivations of the red lotus are cool/unexpected so they end the series (?) on a strong note. And to all those with the last airbender nostalgia glasses on, yeah the show was great but that stupid bullshit out of nowhere spirit turtle and the fight scene they built toward in the entire series were both TERRIBLE. Man was the ending to TLA disappointing.

#145 Edited by jadegl (1413 posts) -

I love the new series. Yes, it has been up and down, but overall I think it's a good addition to the Avatar Universe. I think my main concerns have been ironed out. Namely, less focus on romantic triangle stuff, more humor, and consistently awesome fight scenes. Korra has progressed as a character, much like Aang did in the original series, and while she still has to overcome being headstrong, she's been much better at seeking advice and doing things more thoughtfully.

Plus, considering "worst ever" would imply we've seen all in action and we've only really seen three or four in action, and only two for extended periods of time, I would say that we have no idea who was actually the worst. I mean, Kyoshi was very cool, but she made many mistakes and admitted as much. Aang wouldn't even take her advice when he consulted her spirit. So let's drop the hyperbole and just say that she has her issues, but that I assume they're similar to issues that every avatar has to work through.

#146 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3229 posts) -

@jadegl: Technically, since she got all the previous Avatars destroyed/disconnected/eaten in the second season, she's now the worst Avatar by default. Also the best, because she's the only Avatar.

#147 Posted by ripelivejam (13226 posts) -

Everyone seems to want their heroes/protags to be perfect or at worse have some small issues that they work through immediately. It's kinda the whole Shingi thing again where heroes can't be flawed like *gasp* real people. Flawed characters are more interesting to me anyway.

#148 Edited by LiquidPrince (17073 posts) -

@gerhabio said:

n 2? I can't understand it for the life of me. I remember the lion turtle in the Last Airbender taught Aang to bend the energy within theirselves (their soul? their chakra?) like the ancients did and that's how he was able to take away the Fire Lord's bending. Was that what Korra did? Learn how to bend raw energy itself and created a kaiju? She did it without Rava, does that mean anyone can do it? I mean, her whole thing's she sucks at spirituality so any middling guru should be able to destroy the world, right? And what about Tenzin's daughter? How come she was able to revive Rava even though she said it would take tens of thousands of years to do so?

HELP!

It's LITERALLY the exact same thing Aang did at the end of Book one of ATLAB.

#149 Posted by Party (146 posts) -

Yoyoyo. This book is awesome. Strangely, I do find myself missing Book 1 however. Even though I wasn't a huge fan of it at the time, book 1 took a lot more risks and set up a lot of new directions for the series. Even though Amon turned out to be a joke, his initial premise was the best any antagonist of either show ever had and there was a lot of weirdly dark stuff in there too (though the Earth Queen stuff and Tenzin stuff in this book is pretty dark too). I find that book 2 tried really, really, really hard to just liken itself back to the first show (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) by referencing old characters/locations etc. It seems that book 3 is kind of straddling the line between playing it safe like book 2 and getting totally out there like book 1. Still pretty much my favorite book though. SEASON FINALE SO EXCITED.

#150 Posted by Jazz_Lafayette (3897 posts) -
@sravankb said:

@violegrace said:

Well, that decides it. I was planning on giving the second season a chance, but fuck that. The love triangle bullshit is so goddamn awful in the first season, I honestly thought that they would never bring it up in the second. In addition to what's already been said here about her terrible character, this honestly is the crap cherry on the shitcake.

The writers have really wrapped that dynamic up about as neatly as they could, having the characters involved openly admit they just do not function well romantically. It progresses to a sort of slightly-uncomfortable working relationship toward the end of season 2 and the very beginning of season 3, mattering less without going totally unacknowledged.

That said, if you're that down on the show, I'd say to just skip Book 2 and read a plot summary. There are a few pieces of lore dropped in this most recent season that make Book 2 less totally absurd in retrospect, but the character work and dialogue are pretty underserved throughout, and Book 3 is much better in that respect. Also, even if you do jump through, be absolutely sure to watch the two-part Avatar Wan intermission, it's truly unique stuff.