Korra is the worst avatar ever.

Posted by Aegon (7313 posts) 5 years, 9 months ago

Poll: Korra is the worst avatar ever. (545 votes)

Yes 34%
No 38%
No, that other water tribe avatar was the worst. 29%

Whiny, incompetent, ungrateful, doesn't learn from her mistakes, makes really dumb mistakes consistently, ADHD, deals clumsily with emotional, physical and spiritual challenges. She's worse than the last Water tribe Avatar who lost his face to that thing. Speaking of which, do you remember how well Aang dealt with that situation despite his fear? That sort of tension and atmosphere has never been present in the Korra series. And for some reason all the bad guys are from the water tribe now; Amon, Tarrlok, Korra's uncle, that rich guy, etc. What is up with that? It makes me sad thinking of how well developed and likeable Sokka and Katara were and then looking at this sorry lot of characters. Ugh. They had their issues, but they learned from their mistakes and grew up. A lot of what Aang accomplished would have been impossible without those two. Korra seems unable and unwilling to learn.

"YOU'RE EITHER WITH ME OR AGAINST ME! NEVER DOUBT ME I'M THE AVATAR!!!!"

*gets ass handed to her*

Yes, this was a nerdy rant about a cartoon, deal with it.

#151 Posted by goonage (185 posts) -

No she isn't **cough**AvatarRoku**cough**.

@aegon said:

Sucks that the Earth King's daughter is such an asshole (or should I say, was ..muahahah).

That's what she gets for eating Bosco

#152 Posted by EXTomar (5047 posts) -

Book 2 was botched simply because they had the setup for an interesting idea but abandoned it: An anti-avatar. If Korra and the preceding avatars are a combination of human soul and a being of light then what Unalak (sp) was trying to do could have been creating a version where instead of seeking balanced they would be seeking chaos. There is still a remote chance that will come up but it seems like they broke their mythos and don't really care.

#153 Posted by Aegon (7313 posts) -

Everyone seems to want their heroes/protags to be perfect or at worse have some small issues that they work through immediately. It's kinda the whole Shingi thing again where heroes can't be flawed like *gasp* real people. Flawed characters are more interesting to me anyway.

I'm fine with watching a character who has flaws. I'd have to be to enjoy Game of Thrones / Song of Ice and Fire.

Good writers make their flawed characters interesting to watch. The mistakes they make create intense moments. You can be emotionally conflicted about them, but still want to see what's going to happen.

Some of the decisions Korra makes come off more as plain stupid rather than simply flawed.

However, she's not the only poorly written part of the show, as some have already mentioned.

#154 Posted by sravankb (544 posts) -

@sravankb said:

@violegrace said:

What i REALLY hate about her is that she still loves that bastard Mako after he always cheats on her , just after they broke up in season 2 he got back to Asami , she is so stupid and that's what i mostly hate about her character .

Well, that decides it. I was planning on giving the second season a chance, but fuck that. The love triangle bullshit is so goddamn awful in the first season, I honestly thought that they would never bring it up in the second. In addition to what's already been said here about her terrible character, this honestly is the crap cherry on the shitcake.

The writers have really wrapped that dynamic up about as neatly as they could, having the characters involved openly admit they just do not function well romantically. It progresses to a sort of slightly-uncomfortable working relationship toward the end of season 2 and the very beginning of season 3, mattering less without going totally unacknowledged.

That said, if you're that down on the show, I'd say to just skip Book 2 and read a plot summary. There are a few pieces of lore dropped in this most recent season that make Book 2 less totally absurd in retrospect, but the character work and dialogue are pretty underserved throughout, and Book 3 is much better in that respect. Also, even if you do jump through, be absolutely sure to watch the two-part Avatar Wan intermission, it's truly unique stuff.

Hmm, not sure yet. I might give this show a chance; but I'll keep this tip in mind. Thanks.

#155 Edited by theacidskull (1095 posts) -

After the season 3 finally, not only is Korra not the worst avatar, she is the best.

#156 Edited by EXTomar (5047 posts) -

I wondered if they (the writers) had the balls to do some of the things "necessary" for the finale and they had some of them. :) I won't spoil that ending but I wonder if they are really going to attempt a "Book 4" where NOW they have a setting worth exploring.

ps. Bolin's socks!

#157 Posted by ichthy (1371 posts) -

Holy shit that ending. Won't spoil anything, but unlike the finales for books 1 and 2, nothing felt rushed or unearned.

#158 Posted by Fobwashed (2784 posts) -

I've also been enjoying the series thoroughly. I really like the world they created with Airbender and I feel like this is a great continuation of the series. Especially because it pretty much takes place after Aang's timeline and there's still a lot of stuff from that series crossing over into this one.

Same goes for this that goes for any sequel or reboot or book to movie thing. If you don't like it, just don't watch it. The thing you liked to begin with is still what it was before. Just enjoy that =]

#159 Posted by Daveyo520 (7766 posts) -

And you guys said such mean things about Korra.

#160 Edited by Jazz_Lafayette (3897 posts) -

Korra was like that at the end because she had just finished skimming through this thread. It's your fault, people.

#ArrowLife

#161 Posted by Coolarman (1398 posts) -

I just saw the end of book 3 and damn.

They can go to some dark places in book 4

#162 Posted by jArmAhead (354 posts) -

I just came here to say the reason I'm not watching this series is because after way too much annoying pressure to watch the original, my impression of Ang or whatever his name was exactly the same as OP's impression of Korra.

Good to know I made the right decision.

#163 Edited by Octaslash (772 posts) -

@dark_lord_spam said:

Korra was like that at the end because she had just finished skimming through this thread. It's your fault, people.

#ArrowLife

It's all your fault, guys.
It's all your fault, guys.

What else does she have to do now that she's in a wheelchair? Okay, after that I'm convinced that this season of Korra is better than the previous seasons and all of Avatar. It'll be very interesting to see what you'll do with her in the final season. I'm hoping for a Dark Knight Rises-esque return and possibly a training montage involving her and Asami lifting weights.

Some notes about the finale:

• Between P'Li's implied exploding head and Korra's screams as she's getting tortured, I can buy the theory that Nick didn't just take the show off the air for low ratings.
  • Zaheer's flying ability was pretty cool (it was even hinted at earlier this season), but Korra's brute force methods of flying like Iron Man and jumping ridiculous heights like the Hulk were way cooler.
  • The look on dying Korra's face when she was in her dad's arms was heartbreaking. The completely white eyes killed me.
  • It looks like Korra has some kind of nerve damage from the poison (and getting the living shit kicked out of her), but more importantly she seems to be depressed and maybe suffering from PTSD.
  • At least she has Asami! Maybe all the insane shipper people have poisoned my mind, but it seems like there's some chemistry there. At the very least, they're good friends now.
#164 Edited by ripelivejam (13227 posts) -

So i think i spoiled myself with that image, but im assuming shit went all sorts of down?

#165 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (5578 posts) -

KORRA's the best avatar ever.

#166 Posted by ripelivejam (13227 posts) -

Like to hear jason eh-striker's thoughts on the finale too! (Keep forgetting his sn on here)

#167 Edited by theacidskull (1095 posts) -
Korra is the best Avatar ever.
#168 Edited by BabyChooChoo (7093 posts) -

So, a friend came over and tried to convince me to watch season 3. The last time I watched Avatar was the Season 1 finale of Korra. I did not like it. In fact, you could say I hated it...because I did. But I digress. I gave him a very strange look and debated whether or not to kick him out suggesting such a thing. It took some (err...more like a lot I guess) convincing but we maranthoned through it. Long story short: I will happily admit Korra (and the show as a whole) is indeed pretty damn awesome now. In fact, yeah, I would also go as far as to call her the best.

That said, and I will forever stick to this, season 1 was a pile of fucking garbage and that particular Korra was and always will be an insufferable cunt.

#169 Edited by EXTomar (5047 posts) -

What happened to P'Li is particularly brutal: The force applied to the front of her face would have killed her if the seam on syu's armor wasn't good or if the seam was good the force would have taken everything that was her head and shoved down her neck and into her chest.

But hey it is just a kids show! :) A for Zahir's flying, as he said earlier you just need to let go of your earthly tether to reach your full potential. P'Li was that that tether...

#170 Posted by TDot (462 posts) -

She hates the Republic President because he wouldn't let her steal his navy and arbitrarily get himself into a war that had nothing to do with him.

I know the show tries to show that the President is a sort of uptight politician that blames everything on her...but he's actually doing what he's supposed to do. Protect his city and try and keep them safe. She doesn't seem to understand that.

#171 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (5578 posts) -

I also got to throw in the fact that Jinora might just be my favorite character in the Avatar universe.

#172 Posted by Shaanyboi (1694 posts) -

That finale was fucking crazy. Some BRUTAL takedowns this season. Also seeing Jinora slowly grow into a leader is awesome.

#173 Edited by Jazz_Lafayette (3897 posts) -

My favorite moment in the entire two-parter was when you realize that despite all of the Red Lotus' planning, they are in no way prepared for the avatar state. Boom, instant decimation.

Did anyone else catch the Zelda Williams cameo? That was cool.

#174 Posted by Eder (640 posts) -

I also LOVED the finale. Have no idea why people hate this show so bad. All seasons have been a blast and yes the first season was a bit rushed but they did what they could with the time they had. I think they didn't know there was going to be more past that first season.

The only small nitpick I can think of is when the hell did Mako learn to lightning bend?

#175 Posted by ichthy (1371 posts) -

Book 4, how Korra gets her groove back.

#176 Edited by gnomeonfire (1124 posts) -

The only thing I didn't care for this season was Zahir, there was no real explanation on why he was so good at airbending. Classic Gary Stu.

#177 Posted by EXTomar (5047 posts) -

Mako was doing lightning back in book 1 for a job.

To be fair, people were pointing to book 1 and book 2 as having issues. In book 1 Korra was running around going "I know what is best because I am The Avatar" while in book 2 Korra was running around listening to everyone, including the bad guys, instead of listening to trusted friends and well known allies. It made her appear annoying and stupid.

#178 Posted by Eder (640 posts) -

@extomar: Thats right he did. It's been a while. He should have used it sooner!

#179 Posted by Octaslash (772 posts) -

The only thing I didn't care for this season was Zahir, there was no real explanation on why he was so good at airbending. Classic Gary Stu.

Not really. They made it clear that he had studied the airbender culture and their philosophies, so it's not a stretch that he was also familiar with their fighting styles. Also, given that bending is basically martial arts with superpowers attached, it makes sense that someone trained in regular ass martial arts would pick it up easier. He also had two weeks of practice in a jail cell. He did however get his ass kicked my Tenzin, an airbending master.

#180 Posted by pyrodactyl (4221 posts) -

Hey, just going to say it: ATLA can suck it, that season final was incredible and way better than the original run's series final.

#181 Posted by pyrodactyl (4221 posts) -

I would love to hear Jason's opinion on that season final since he seems to be the only one on staff who likes the show.

#182 Edited by Aegon (7313 posts) -

Here are some of my thoughts on the finale. Only got around to writing it now since this thread keeps getting bumped.

FINALE SPOILERS BELOW.

The creators say that Korra loves being the Avatar. That she's the opposite of Aang in that way. That's cool, but they could've gone so much further with that theme this season and in the finale.

There was too little self-reflection on Korra's part. Korra doesn't say anything of significance in the episode. All we get is a brief hallucination with the past two season's antagonists telling her how she's not needed. Then a fight ensues. The fight is cool and well done, but it was expected considering she's going into overdrive Avatar state. What I would've liked to see is Korra lose the fight due to the poison, giving Zaheer a clear shot at killing her. She then should have come to grips and accepted that her time as the Avatar is about to end. Then, with all her might, she needed to ignore all the turmoil going on in her mind and focus on leaving the Avatar state. This task would be hugely unnatural for her. She, Korra, the one who is so in love with with having the responsibility and power of the Avatar would have to accept her end and ensure the existence of future Avatars.

That would have elevated her as a character so much for me, rather than just have her be rescued before having to make any real decisions. Such a selfless act would show immense growth from the whiny brat in the beginning.

Korra didn't have to die. That would be one step further, but this is a Nickelodeon show. I can't expect something of that caliber from something that has to be appropriate for children. But having her be ready for death and protect the Avatar-hood before being rescued, would have been a more fitting finale (in my opinion as a fan of the series in general, who, despite the hyperboles that get people so riled up, wants the show to be good).

#183 Edited by ShadyPingu (1816 posts) -

Liked this finale, and season as a whole, more than the first two. The first was solid but suffered from a rushed ending. The second was just ridiculous on its face once it veered into the DARK GOD RESURRECTION PLAN fantasy cliche. This one, while fairly meandering at first, was much more even. They had a neat ideological conflict and explored it decently well.

Book 3's not without flaws, of course. Like I said, it's fairly directionless for the first third or so; it takes too long for the Red Lotus threat to intersect with Team Korra's funtime adventures. Secondly, they seem to not know what to do with the core four unless they're embroiled in love triangles. Korra and Bolin have character arcs this season, Mako and Asami do not. Lastly, I was surprised how little commitment the show had to Harmonic Convergence actually changing stuff. Apart from creating new airbenders (admittedly, a super big deal) and some rainbow animal ghosts hanging out, there wasn't much to indicate that the world had been changed by all that crazy portal shit. Still, huge improvement over Book Two.

Oh, and for people who watched ATLA: concerning the whole "you die in the Avatar state, the cycle ends" thing, is that an established mechanic of the Avatar cycle? Because that struck me as a bit of a cheat. If Vaatu whipping the shit out of Raava doesn't end the cycle, it seems odd that just icing an Avatar at the right time would. Seems like with all the conflict this world has seen, that would have already happened at least once.

#184 Posted by Octaslash (772 posts) -

Oh, and for people who watched ATLA: concerning the whole "you die in the Avatar state, the cycle ends" thing, is that an established mechanic of the Avatar cycle? Because that struck me as a bit of a cheat. If Vaatu whipping the shit out of Raava doesn't end the cycle, it seems odd that just icing an Avatar at the right time would. Seems like with all the conflict this world has seen, that would have already happened at least once.

That rule very clearly established in season two of ATLA, but I suppose they didn't ever really explain before in Korra. Also, when Ravva got pulled out of Korra, they fused together again, but Korra was cut off from all her pasts lives.

#185 Posted by LiquidPrince (17073 posts) -

That said, and I will forever stick to this, season 1 was a pile of fucking garbage and that particular Korra was and always will be an insufferable cunt.

You're a crazy person. Amon was one of the most badass villains ever, and seeing Korra go into the Avatar state for the first time was immensely satisfying. Anyways, Korra started out being almost completely opposite to Aang in terms of personality, and through the trials that she has been going through has begun to mellow out and understand her role better. You can't expect her not to be flawed straight from the get go. I mean her first line in the show was "I'm the Avatar, you gotta deal with it!" and that was at the age of like 3 or 4, which shows how different she was from Aang.

Avatar image for matthewthebeast
#186 Edited by MatthewTheBeast (217 posts) -

Overall, I liked this season of Korra and of course it has flaws some of which would've been solved by having a slightly longer season. C'est la vie.

Based on the first 2 seasons it is clear that the creators of the show as writers have difficulty in writing a female teenager that was a complete opposite of Aang (passive and reluctant). "Better late than never" pretty much sums it up my opinion on the development of Korra's character between the end of season 2 and whole of season 3.

On reflection that that season 1 was basically a mini-series, which explains why it feels so disconnected with seasons 2, 3 and most likely 4. Furthermore, it explains why the writing team of season 1 was basically the two creators and one assistant whereas ATLA had a writing staff of 4-5. Plus the god awful ending and meaningless teenage drama, the former I can begrudgingly accept since having it end on a bittersweet note doesn't to be the authors' cup of tea for a one season show.

...Though if they were to have Korra only retain airbending and learning/accepting the more spiritual aspect of being an Avatar in the end. It would've fitted in season 2 where she would want to gain more spiritual knowledge and then be hit with a Deus Ex Machina to fast-track energy bending.

Edit: In general, Legend of Korra would've been a hella a lot better if the network given the show the same number of seasons and episodes from the get-go as the last one. Not just "let's see" and "maybes".This would allow overarching themes/villains and filler/character development episodes. Most importantly, a need for a bigger writing staff to avoid the George Lucas effect *cough* overused/un-subtle romance *cough*.

@encephalon said:

The drawback of going into Avatar State has been there since season 1-2 of ATLA. If I recall correctly they had little to no explanation for the cycle ending even back then. I guess they purposely kept it vague to retcon some stuff later on. Also, didn't the last Avatar cycle ended in 2 season of LoK season and Korra reunited with Raava to start another cycle? I'm most likely wrong about this since I kinda forgot about the finer details of the last season.

#187 Posted by EXTomar (5047 posts) -

It is important to note that while Korra loves being The Avatar, this season shows how much of a toll and unfun that role really is and I'm not talking about the fighting.

But yeah, what is up with Nickelodeon? I can't tell if they like the show or hate it and want to bury it or are just stupid.

#188 Edited by BabyChooChoo (7093 posts) -

@liquidprince said:

@babychoochoo said:

You're a crazy person. Amon was one of the most badass villains ever, and seeing Korra go into the Avatar state for the first time was immensely satisfying. Anyways, Korra started out being almost completely opposite to Aang in terms of personality, and through the trials that she has been going through has begun to mellow out and understand her role better. You can't expect her not to be flawed straight from the get go. I mean her first line in the show was "I'm the Avatar, you gotta deal with it!" and that was at the age of like 3 or 4, which shows how different she was from Aang.

You're right. Amon was one of the most badass villains ever...until they decided to turn him into Generic Mr. Evil Bad Meanie Face Guy #9438759345 in the latter parts of the season. The concept of a regular-ass-regular dude going toe-to-toe with benders and starting this uprising that resonated with the common folk was super interesting. He didn't even have to do anything half of the time. Korra proved his point on a handful of occasions that benders could be rather oppressive and they shouldn't just run around unchecked. However, it's like the show and Amon himself forget that was ever a thing. By the time you get to the last few episodes, there's no reason to sympathize with Amon anymore. He's just plain ol' evil at that point.

The Avatar state scene would have been cool...if she had done a damn thing to deserve it. She beat the bad guy? Ok, good for her, but there wasn't really any character growth or anything. She just sorta cries at the end, Aang shows up, and bam, now everything is magically resolved. it's the most pulled-out-their-ass convenient ending I think I've seen in a long time.

I'm fine with characters having flaws. People keep on bringing that up like I said I expect my protagonists to always be perfect. My problem is that aside from some of the cool shit she does, there's virtually no reason to like her. All she is a bunch of flaws. She's a complete and utter asshole every waking moment of the season. Amon is literally the only person who checks her on her bullshit, but despite her not learning a damn thing, all is takes a sad face and little bit of tears and she wins. Fuck season 1.

No Caption Provided

#189 Posted by Jazz_Lafayette (3897 posts) -

I think a couple of people might have missed the suicide connotation at the end of the first season. It doesn't account for the hurried plot advancement, but there's legitimate character moments with Korra wrestling with what it would mean to be an avatar without bending, and if she could even stand to divest that part of herself.

#190 Edited by pyrodactyl (4221 posts) -

@dark_lord_spam said:

I think a couple of people might have missed the suicide connotation at the end of the first season. It doesn't account for the hurried plot advancement, but there's legitimate character moments with Korra wrestling with what it would mean to be an avatar without bending, and if she could even stand to divest that part of herself.

And then PSYCH, she gets her powers back in 5 minutes. Totally forgot about that part. God was that ending terrible.

It's all fogiven though, the last 2 episodes were just that good.

#191 Posted by golguin (5469 posts) -

This is my first time in this thread since a title like "Korra is the worst avatar ever" is so off base that it isn't even worth engaging. I figured that such an amazing season finale would have some great comments so I was curious to see what I'd find and it looks like most people agree that Korra is pretty solid.

I thought the finale was AMAZING. Some characters died super hard (was it the fire, the shock wave/pressure, or both that killed her?) and it kinda makes me wonder if that was partly the reason why Nick decided to show the last episodes online aside from the ratings thing. The animation was top notch and it kinda makes me sad that other animated shows don't have the budget to produce these kinds of fight scenes all the time.

Korra's final scene is probably the strongest season closer of any show in recent memory. She is seriously messed up.

#192 Edited by MatthewTheBeast (217 posts) -

Heh. It is unfortunate that the title of the thread is like this, since as far as I know the thread seems to be the only dedicated discussion for LoK on the Giantbomb forums. It should've been "Is Korra the worst Avatar?", as hyperbole it may seem now, but speaking for myself it represents the general disappointment from the fanbase from the first and second seasons.

Mistakes were made in season 1 and the consequence was quite a bit of a backlash. Which should happen despite their best efforts into making a completely resolved story arc in 12-13 episodes with only half of the original writing team. Based on bluray/dvd commentaries and interviews, it seems they learn their lesson, albeit with a messy season 2 and a bruised haughty attitude towards any criticism of their romance subplots.

Still the season 3 did made me to do an about-face, it was a good season and redeemed LoK in my eyes.

#193 Posted by Aegon (7313 posts) -

@matthewthebeast: I can't change the title due to it being a poll. My opinion has changed after this season. Still think the previous two have stunk, but this was better. I'm not as disappointed in Korra as I had been before.

If I remember to do it next season, I'll make a separate thread for discussion of the show, rather than having people gather in a poll thread that I started for the purposes of venting my annoyance at the show.

#194 Posted by LiquidPrince (17073 posts) -

@liquidprince said:

@babychoochoo said:

You're right. Amon was one of the most badass villains ever...until they decided to turn him into Generic Mr. Evil Bad Meanie Face Guy #9438759345 in the latter parts of the season. The concept of a regular-ass-regular dude going toe-to-toe with benders and starting this uprising that resonated with the common folk was super interesting. He didn't even have to do anything half of the time. Korra proved his point on a handful of occasions that benders could be rather oppressive and they shouldn't just run around unchecked. However, it's like the show and Amon himself forget that was ever a thing. By the time you get to the last few episodes, there's no reason to sympathize with Amon anymore. He's just plain ol' evil at that point.

The Avatar state scene would have been cool...if she had done a damn thing to deserve it. She beat the bad guy? Ok, good for her, but there wasn't really any character growth or anything. She just sorta cries at the end, Aang shows up, and bam, now everything is magically resolved. it's the most pulled-out-their-ass convenient ending I think I've seen in a long time.

I'm fine with characters having flaws. People keep on bringing that up like I said I expect my protagonists to always be perfect. My problem is that aside from some of the cool shit she does, there's virtually no reason to like her. All she is a bunch of flaws. She's a complete and utter asshole every waking moment of the season. Amon is literally the only person who checks her on her bullshit, but despite her not learning a damn thing, all is takes a sad face and little bit of tears and she wins. Fuck season 1.

There was nothing generic or random about Amon... His story and reasons for being were intricately tied to the story Aang and Yakone. He resented benders because as soon his father realized that him and his brother were water benders his old and manipulative self started seeping back up and replacing the more calm life that he had started to enjoy after Aang had removed his water bending. His father had tortured them while training them and even made him turn against his brother and use blood bending on him. He resented bending for being the reason his life changed, and he resented the Avatar for removing Yakone's bending and thus forcing Yakone to try and live his life vicariously through his children.

As for Korra, she's freaking teenager, who also happens to be one of the most powerful people alive. She loves her job as Avatar, but she has been sealed in the north under the constant protection of the White Lotus, so she's not exactly the most socially competent person. She definitely grows as a character during Book One, and if you refuse to see it, then that is just a case of you choosing not to see it, or denying it. She is still hot headed when the Book ends, but she realizes that being the Avatar means having a responsibility to other people. She also learns to listen to Tenzin a bit more and subsequently unlocks her Air Bending.

As for how she unlocked her Avatar state, there was also nothing random about that. As seen in The Last Airbender, often times Avatar's will go into the Avatar state when in times of distress. Aang did it frequently throughout the first show, and even his mastering of the Avatar state in the last season came through him overcoming his fears and anger. He never successfully opened all seven of his Chakra's because he couldn't let go of Katara and so technically shouldn't have been able to control himself in the Avatar state, and yet when the final moment arrived, he was able to do it. Same thing happened to Korra; in her moment of ultimate despair, Aang was able to help her unlock her Avatar state. As seen in subsequent Book's, that didn't mean that she had fully mastered it, but she could go into it.

Don't hate just because Korra as a character isn't a carbon copy of Aang. She is a fundamentally different character, and thus has a different path she must travel before becoming a proper Avatar.

#195 Edited by BabyChooChoo (7093 posts) -

@liquidprince: Alrighty, let's just agree to disagree. I'm glad there was a group of people who found something to enjoy in season 1. I am just not one of them.

#196 Posted by ripelivejam (13227 posts) -

i loved Kai's Aang-aping grin

@liquidprince i agree with most of what you said and you've articulated it better than i have previously. Korra's a completely different can of worms than Aang, and i'm glad she's different. i don't even agee that she's poorly written; they were just trying to keep her in character i'd even say that as she's mellowing out and learning to defer to others she's becoming more of a carbon copy of Aang. i'm wondering if most of the derision people felt for her in books 1 and 2 is a consequence of the shoehorned-in romantic subplots. but maybe i'm wrong, or maybe Korra's just badly/too simply written on all fronts and the only reason people are going easy on her now is that she's become more like Aang.

Jinora getting her tattoos was a nicely bittersweet and cathartic moment. she totally earned them.

#197 Posted by Hailinel (25785 posts) -
#198 Edited by MatthewTheBeast (217 posts) -

@ripelivejam:

Certainly the awful romantic subplots did detract my opinion of Korra... and everyone else involved. When I think about it, what shows had a good example of a hot-blooded, stubborn and duty-bound teenager protagonist? For whatever gripes that I had with Korra, many of which echoed in this thread. From the troublesome romance of season 1/2 to retreading mistakes/character mistakes in season 2 ( I know it's realistic, but it is a cartoon with limited episodes...). I can't seem to find a good example for this type of character in a moderately serious setting that demands character growth and etc. Comparing Korra to Aang would go nowhere, different types of people. And ole apples & oranges, either of which will help ya do the dirty deed. Just need to know if its fresh or not.

#199 Posted by LiquidPrince (17073 posts) -

@ripelivejam:

Certainly the awful romantic subplots did detract my opinion of Korra... and everyone else involved. When I think about it, what shows had a good example of a hot-blooded, stubborn and duty-bound teenager protagonist? For whatever gripes that I had with Korra, many of which echoed in this thread. From the troublesome romance of season 1/2 to retreading mistakes/character mistakes in season 2 ( I know it's realistic, but it is a cartoon with limited episodes...). I can't seem to find a good example for this type of character in a moderately serious setting that demands character growth and etc. Comparing Korra to Aang would go nowhere, different types of people. And ole apples & oranges, either of which will help ya do the dirty deed. Just need to know if its fresh or not.

Love is often messy, and so I really enjoyed the fact that there was a little bit of tension in the first few seasons with regards to the love triangle. It felt very realistic and adult, and also led to one of the best early moments of the beginning of Book 3, where Asame and Korra admitted they had kissed Mako while they knew that the other was dating him. It showed that they both realized they had made stupid mistakes, but were willing to look past it and become better friends. I honestly can't think of any major missteps that this show has taken that hasn't paid off in some great way later on. People are always too quick to judge, and hating is easier then waiting.

#200 Posted by WalkmanBoy (88 posts) -

That finale was awesome but jeez...poor Korra.