#151 Edited by McGhee (6128 posts) -

@rebgav:

Did you notice they changed the choreo with the punching part of N4's song? Not as powerful as before. Probably some bullshit Korea TV broadcast regulations saying it promotes violence to the youth, but I haven't heard specifically. It really pisses me off.

#152 Posted by McGhee (6128 posts) -

2NE1 performed with Snoop-a-Loop during his Korea concert.

Not surprising that Snoop would do something like this. He has shown some interest in Kpop in the past, making comments about SNSD.

#153 Edited by SpacePenguin (497 posts) -

I hope its ok to post some other types of Korean music rather than just the Idol Groups.

Dynamic Duo -

Loading Video...

Supreme Team -

Loading Video...

Tiger JK -

Loading Video...

#154 Edited by McGhee (6128 posts) -
#155 Posted by rebgav (1442 posts) -

@mcghee: The change is really weird. I hope it was just an objection from MBC or something because it would be pretty disappointing if it's a permanent change.

There better be video of 2NE1 performing with Snoop. My preliminary ranking puts Snoop at 3rd best rapper on that stage XD

#156 Edited by Nilazz (836 posts) -

@mcghee said:

I was a music snob for many years. I've been down every musical rabbit trail there is. My favorite band is and will always be King Crimson. You know who that is? A whole lot of Kpop is good fucking music. It is not good music because of its complexity or purpose, but because it is fun and energetic. Composer and pianist Hauschka has said that he writes his music for the person that does not want to sit in a dark room, headphones clenched over ears, sweating and pondering music in a deadly serious way. He writes music that is at once complex and accessible. Kpop is that for me. It is stress relief. Those that generally criticize someone that listens to something like mainstream pop music is only trying to stroke their own ego: "I listen to better music than you, therefore I can feel like I'm better than you."

It's sad and a bit pathetic. I'm not interested in boosting egos, just enjoying myself.

<3

#157 Posted by frankxiv (2597 posts) -

@rebgav said:

@mcghee: The change is really weird. I hope it was just an objection from MBC or something because it would be pretty disappointing if it's a permanent change.

There better be video of 2NE1 performing with Snoop. My preliminary ranking puts Snoop at 3rd best rapper on that stage XD

it was changed on KBS too, Mnet was the only one that had the punch choreo so far :(

#158 Edited by frankxiv (2597 posts) -

@mcghee said:

2NE1 performed with Snoop-a-Loop during his Korea concert.

Not surprising that Snoop would do something like this. He has shown some interest in Kpop in the past, making comments about SNSD.

this is a collaboration i wanna see, no more will.i.am plz

#159 Edited by AjayRaz (12898 posts) -
Loading Video...

this summer, jay park

also hi. no more will.i.am please

#160 Edited by frankxiv (2597 posts) -

rookie spotlight, one i know @aurahack enjoys (gotta keep bringin you back somehow), the group described as "five ambers"

GI - BEATLES

Loading Video...

edit: woops double post~

#162 Edited by rebgav (1442 posts) -

@rebgav said:

it was changed on KBS too, Mnet was the only one that had the punch choreo so far :(

Punching was back on Inkigayo!

Loading Video...

So SBS is pro-punching, maybe. Unfortunately they also seem to be pro-uploading-your-shit-to-youtube-a-week-late so it's kind of a wash. Does anyone know if that's their normal schedule? Seems weird.

#163 Edited by frankxiv (2597 posts) -

@rebgav said:

@onimonkii said:

@rebgav said:

Punching was back on Inkigayo!

So SBS is pro-punching, maybe. Unfortunately they also seem to be pro-uploading-your-shit-to-youtube-a-week-late so it's kind of a wash. Does anyone know if that's their normal schedule? Seems weird.

pretty much. their channel is kind of a huge mess anyways, there will be like 5 different versions of 5 minute cuts from the exact same show, all in different resolutions with different start/stop points. eventually actual song cuts will show up from there and kind of get tagged/named properly. i subbed to them for a while but got sick of it pretty fast. they're easy enough to find anyways.

#164 Posted by rebgav (1442 posts) -

@onimonkii: Thanks, good to know. It's odd that they do such a bad job of getting their content online when the other shows seem to do pretty well. Random youtube channels and jtv livestreams it is then, SBS.

#165 Edited by McGhee (6128 posts) -

I am becoming more and more interested in this:

No Caption Provided

#166 Edited by frankxiv (2597 posts) -

bit of a dude group throwback. if you can listen to this just once you're stronger than i am

ss501 - love ya

Loading Video...

#167 Posted by rebgav (1442 posts) -

@mcghee: I am resigned to ignoring the hype for 9 Muses until their song and video are out. Based on their other MVs, I have no faith in them executing on any sort of "sexy" concept without it turning into contrived, corny nonsense. I am ready to be wrong though.

#168 Edited by frankxiv (2597 posts) -
#169 Posted by Amilmitt (245 posts) -

@onimonkii: oh good my ears. only hearing the bass.

#170 Edited by rebgav (1442 posts) -

@onimonkii: Thank you, you are a shining golden god.

Damn, that audio is crazy.

Maybe it's just the messed up sound but it seems like only CL and Minzy have live mics, and then Minzy just syncs half of her lines anyway? Well whatevs, CL is good in those vids and the rest of the group are okay. Pretty surreal to see them onstage with Snoop, more surreal to see that they have their own faces airbrushed onto the front of their tracksuits. Also, they are wearing tracksuits.

#171 Posted by frankxiv (2597 posts) -

mv teaser for the new nine muses. your hype is justified.

Loading Video...

#172 Edited by frankxiv (2597 posts) -

also lee hyori snuck out a new song

Loading Video...

#173 Posted by Humanity (18639 posts) -

I like to indulge in kpop every once in a while, specifically Trouble Maker and Girls' Generation's Trick, because I like those songs' style, but I've been having trouble finding more songs of their type, any recommendations you guys could make?

Ahh thank you. SNSD's Trick is exactly the sort of song I've been waiting for them to make since Genie but I never knew of it's existence. I'm a sucker for these sort of songs.

#174 Posted by frankxiv (2597 posts) -

@rebgav said:

@onimonkii: Thank you, you are a shining golden god.

Damn, that audio is crazy.

Maybe it's just the messed up sound but it seems like only CL and Minzy have live mics, and then Minzy just syncs half of her lines anyway? Well whatevs, CL is good in those vids and the rest of the group are okay. Pretty surreal to see them onstage with Snoop, more surreal to see that they have their own faces airbrushed onto the front of their tracksuits. Also, they are wearing tracksuits.

crayon pop fashion is catching on

Loading Video...

#175 Edited by rebgav (1442 posts) -

DAMN MY EYES!

Everything about that video... everything....

#176 Edited by xymox (2432 posts) -

If you're in the mood for some auto-tuning, I think M.I.B has your back with their song "Nod Along" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8eQf0XsCao

The rapping seems... a bit rough. But I like the chorus so it gets a pass.

C-Clown shows you the C-Clown Swag, apparently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e56l-8K3jU

And then there's Hello Venus:

Loading Video...

I will have all of the tea. I dunno. It's cute.

I totally missed the Snoop thing. though. I need to watch that.

#177 Posted by McGhee (6128 posts) -

@onimonkii:

I became a fan of there's with that kicking dance. Love it. Definitely the goofiest group out there right now.

#178 Posted by frankxiv (2597 posts) -

@xymox said:

If you're in the mood for some auto-tuning, I think M.I.B has your back with their song "Nod Along" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8eQf0XsCao

The rapping seems... a bit rough. But I like the chorus so it gets a pass.

C-Clown shows you the C-Clown Swag, apparently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e56l-8K3jU

And then there's Hello Venus:

I will have

all

of the tea. I dunno. It's cute.

I totally missed the Snoop thing. though. I need to watch that.

i like MIB's stuff, nod along is probably my favorite since girls drinks dreams money

c-clown has some good songs, but that group name...

i wasn't too into the new hv until i saw live performances, then it kinda grew on me.

#179 Edited by Ben_H (4180 posts) -

@mcghee said:

I was a music snob for many years. I've been down every musical rabbit trail there is. My favorite band is and will always be King Crimson. You know who that is? A whole lot of Kpop is good fucking music. It is not good music because of its complexity or purpose, but because it is fun and energetic. Composer and pianist Hauschka has said that he writes his music for the person that does not want to sit in a dark room, headphones clenched over ears, sweating and pondering music in a deadly serious way. He writes music that is at once complex and accessible. Kpop is that for me. It is stress relief. Those that generally criticize someone that listens to something like mainstream pop music is only trying to stroke their own ego: "I listen to better music than you, therefore I can feel like I'm better than you."

It's sad and a bit pathetic. I'm not interested in boosting egos, just enjoying myself.

That is exactly why I listen to this stuff, and a lot of other types of music, too. It's fun. Is it kinda weird or dumb at times? Yes. But who cares as long as it's fun. Same reason I listen to lots of Ice Cube and Westside Connection or old 80s new wave music. My CD player in my car currently has an a-ha CD in it. Outside of people 20 years older than me, most people would question that music choice, but I don't really care. "The Sun Always Shines on T.V." is a far better song than anything they likely listen to anyway.

I was the same way. I was a metal snob, I refused to listen to anything else, especially rap or most pop because I considered it lowering my standards.

King Crimson is awesome. I know who they are. I am more of a Yes person, but King Crimson is great too.

#180 Posted by McGhee (6128 posts) -

@ben_h said:

@mcghee said:

That is exactly why I listen to this stuff, and a lot of other types of music, too. It's fun. Is it kinda weird or dumb at times? Yes. But who cares as long as it's fun. Same reason I listen to lots of Ice Cube and Westside Connection or old 80s new wave music. My CD player in my car currently has an a-ha CD in it. Outside of people 20 years older than me, most people would question that music choice, but I don't really care. "The Sun Always Shines on T.V." is a far better song than anything they likely listen to anyway.

I was the same way. I was a metal snob, I refused to listen to anything else, especially rap or most pop because I considered it lowering my standards.

King Crimson is awesome. I know who they are. I am more of a Yes person, but King Crimson is great too.

Yes is also one of my all time favorite bands. Bill Bruford played drums in both KC and Yes. His style really shines through and is immediately recognizable in both. Jon Anderson also contributed vocals to, probably the weirdest and most under-appreciated KC album, "Lizard." Definitely worth a listen. But I'll shut up now. This thread is suppose to be about Kpop.

#181 Posted by frankxiv (2597 posts) -

new nine muses fancam from their showcase. i'm so happy with how the full song turned out

Loading Video...

#182 Posted by StrikeALight (1263 posts) -

Heh, the jury's out for me on this kinda stuff. I love house, obnoxious techno and cheese disco, but this is kinda too much..

#183 Posted by rebgav (1442 posts) -

9 Muses, man. The song is okay, the outfits are okay, the choreo is okay, the video will probably be okay. Everything about their production is adequate. I just don't see the appeal of this group over any number of other groups.

Another thing that I don't get; Crayon Pop's new member is only a member of the group in Japan? Huh? Is that "a thing?"

Also, thank you to this thread and @onimonkii specifically for introducing me to Crayon Pop.

#184 Posted by frankxiv (2597 posts) -

@rebgav said:

9 Muses, man. The song is okay, the outfits are okay, the choreo is okay, the video will probably be okay. Everything about their production is adequate. I just don't see the appeal of this group over any number of other groups.

Another thing that I don't get; Crayon Pop's new member is only a member of the group in Japan? Huh? Is that "a thing?"

Also, thank you to this thread and @onimonkii specifically for introducing me to Crayon Pop.

that's the nice part, you're allowed to like all of them, contrary to what some kpop fans in youtube comments believe! lol.

i dunno though, i feel like nine muses have consistently improved since debut. i didn't hear about them until ladies, but i liked that song a bunch, and each one since then has been an improvement. that plus their documentary thing, it's kinda easy for me to want to see them do well.

but yes, crayon pop are promising rookies. not really stunning in the raw talent department like spica, or ladies code, or lee hi, but they're really charismatic and their songs are good. they do a lot of interaction with their fans, between google+ hangouts & video series posted to youtube, and guerrilla concerts held around korea. they're super small in the grand scheme of things (still having trouble getting slots on music shows etc.) but i think they're fun and refreshing. they should be coming back this month with a new song as well.

the thing about arisa is i don't think any of the current members speak japanese, and they are more popular in japan at the moment i guess, so it seems like a smart move to me to get a japanese member. plus she is still a student, so she wouldn't have to miss classes while they promote in korea. still it's weird that it's just for japan though, super junior does something similar, adding members for chinese promotions, so there is precedent i guess.

#185 Posted by frankxiv (2597 posts) -

speaking of which...

spica - lonely

Loading Video...

ladies code - bad girl

Loading Video...

lee hi - it's over

Loading Video...

#186 Posted by McGhee (6128 posts) -

@rebgav said:

I completely disagree. Figaro is just about as badass of a song you're going to find in all of Kpop, as is that whole EP "Sweet Rendezvous." I've probably been listening to that album more than any in Kpop for the last few months.

Loading Video...

#187 Edited by McGhee (6128 posts) -

Heh, the jury's out for me on this kinda stuff. I love house, obnoxious techno and cheese disco, but this is kinda too much..

Careful, listen to the right song (or wrong song depending on how you look at it) and you will get hooked.

#188 Posted by frankxiv (2597 posts) -

it's out. i feel like i should put a nsfw warning on this

Loading Video...

#189 Edited by rebgav (1442 posts) -

@mcghee said:

I completely disagree. Figaro is just about as badass of a song you're going to find in all of Kpop, as is that whole EP "Sweet Rendezvous." I've probably been listening to that album more than any in Kpop for the last few months.

I think that I probably like Ticket most out of their tracks but it still doesn't really grab me.

Loading Video...

I think they're okay and all but I don't understand what the driving force is behind their popularity.

I think that I tend to like groups with bigger personalities and strong lead performers, so it may just be that Nine Muses aren't at that point yet or that I haven't paid enough attention to them. I probably wouldn't have been too enthused about snsd in their first couple of years either, so I likely have an enormous blind-spot for the less experienced groups (or I have horrible taste, I will accept that as an answer.)

Edit: Their new song has grown on me a bit. I could live without the entire piano part, it sounds a bit too bright and doesn't really add much, though it sounds nice in the little bridge section before the key change. I think that Lee Sem manages her sexy/lingerie bit without coming across as contrived or cheesy, her voice is interesting though I don't seem to hear much of it after her highlighted bit. Eunji's vocal sounds a bit weird but I like it.

#190 Edited by McGhee (6128 posts) -

@onimonkii:

Oh man, Wild really fucking good. Now to patiently wait for it to show up on iTunes.

#191 Posted by frankxiv (2597 posts) -

yo do you guys like trot? cause i really like trot. this song specifically

hong jin young - boogie man

Loading Video...

i've liked another song by her, love battery, for like ever without knowing who it was by, so this is a nice discovery.

#192 Posted by McGhee (6128 posts) -

@onimonkii: Trot is basically Korean country music, right? It's so weird. lol

#193 Edited by Sinusoidal (3608 posts) -

I can't abide trot. Take a taxi anywhere in this country and you're assaulted by synth-saxophones and cheesy beats.

Also:

Loading Video...

#194 Edited by frankxiv (2597 posts) -
#195 Edited by Darji (5412 posts) -

it's out. i feel like i should put a nsfw warning on this

Loading Video...

I normally do not even like korean music but this one is really good. I approve.

#196 Edited by McGhee (6128 posts) -
#197 Posted by frankxiv (2597 posts) -

lc9 - mama beat (feat. ga in)

Loading Video...

dudes beating the shit out of each other while some vaguely streets of rage inspired music plays

#198 Posted by Wemibelle (2630 posts) -

@onimonkii: Congratulations sir for beating my "K-Pop videos can't get any crazier, right?" streak with that Lee Hi video. I...don't even have words.

#199 Edited by AjayRaz (12898 posts) -

cool zico song

Loading Video...

#200 Posted by frankxiv (2597 posts) -

get your learn on, to the jeon won il gi~~

Loading Video...