Kpop, Kpop, and Kpop: The Discussion Thread

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

Okay, this one has been making the rounds for a while now, and I didn't like it at first. But now I do, and I feel really confused. But it's a really solid song, right? I don't even know anymore.

Loading Video...
@onimonkii said:

c-clown has some good songs, but that group name...

Yeaaaah, I don't know about the name either.

bit of a dude group throwback. if you can listen to this just once you're stronger than i am

ss501 - love ya

With ease! But then again, I also like Infinite - Man in Love. What's with K-pop videos and going all "fake radio" at the end of their videos?

it's out. i feel like i should put a nsfw warning on this

Pretty damn cool, actually.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#202  Edited By xymox

Also:

Loading Video...

Thanks! This one gives me such an 80's post-punk/ethereal vibe. Totally going to check out more by Yukari.

@onimonkii said:
Loading Video...

@ajayraz@mcghee@rebgav more videos on that channel. volume warning.

And apparently, Snoop now makes Hellectro.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

For those that never saw this great show, the first season of Invincible Youth is now being released on KBS World's Youtube channel. You can already find this entire show fansubbed, but this is the best picture quality I've seen and probably the best subs as well. Love this show. Funny interactions between all of these girls and where I became a fan of all them, especially Sunny and Hara, who both have exceptional variety skills. Hara eventually won KBS's Best New Female MC Award for her work on this show.

(Won't play while embedded.) -__-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmwSIm4a2pY

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#204  Edited By frankxiv

@xymox said:

Okay, this one has been making the rounds for a while now, and I didn't like it at first. But now I do, and I feel really confused. But it's a really solid song, right? I don't even know anymore.

@onimonkii said:

c-clown has some good songs, but that group name...

Yeaaaah, I don't know about the name either.

@onimonkii said:

bit of a dude group throwback. if you can listen to this just once you're stronger than i am

ss501 - love ya

With ease! But then again, I also like Infinite - Man in Love. What's with K-pop videos and going all "fake radio" at the end of their videos?

@onimonkii said:

it's out. i feel like i should put a nsfw warning on this

Pretty damn cool, actually.

joah kind of broke me as well. i hated jay park, almost irrationally so, the same way some people hate t-ara now. but i dunno, i'm coming around on him. he's really good on snl korea.

infinite is like the most consistently good male group that i don't actively listen to. their dancing is so synced and visually interesting, but i dunno none of their songs have really clicked with me yet. just waiting for a beast comeback...

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcghee said:

For those that never saw this great show, the first season of Invincible Youth is now being released on KBS World's Youtube channel. You can already find this entire show fansubbed, but this is the best picture quality I've seen and probably the best subs as well. Love this show. Funny interactions between all of these girls and where I became a fan of all them, especially Sunny and Hara, who both have exceptional variety skills. Hara eventually won KBS's Best New Female MC Award for her work on this show.

(Won't play while embedded.) -__-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmwSIm4a2pY

IY is definitely worth watching, everything on it just seems to go together well right from the start, and it really helps you get to know the idols as funny, hard working, and humble people. can be easy to forget that you're watching two members of the biggest girl group in the world, and an international star from the most viral of videos do farm chores.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy crap. I want some way to set this as my alarm clock every day.

Loading Video...

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

that would just soothe me back to sleep

Amilmitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

If you haven't seen it already.

No Caption Provided

Sounds like 2NE1 will comeback right after, like they did with Park Bom's solo.

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

continuing my mission to convert more people into nine muses fans, their adorable interview/google+ hangout on arirang's after school club

Loading Video...

they come in @12:00, it's mostly in english.

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

tonight is music bank's 700th episode, to celebrate, they're having some special stages, full list here

highlights include secret performing lee hyori's u go girl, and nine muses performing park jiyoon's adult ceremony

Loading Video...

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211  Edited By McGhee

tonight is music bank's 700th episode, to celebrate, they're having some special stages, full list here

highlights include secret performing lee hyori's u go girl, and nine muses performing park jiyoon's adult ceremony

Loading Video...

Really enjoyed seeing SNSD perform Gee again on the show. Sunny's charisma was sparkling.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By McGhee

Loading Video...

Really enjoyed seeing SNSD perform Gee again on the show. Sunny's charisma was sparkling.

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213  Edited By frankxiv

the performance in question

Loading Video...

nine muses

Loading Video...

secret

Loading Video...

4minute

Loading Video...

there's more but that's already a lot

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By rebgav
Loading Video...

CL's solo single just showed up. I like the song but the video is not particularly great, though it does have its moments.

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wasn't really a fan of either personally, it feels like a rejected GD song/video and with CL it doesn't really work for me. it's kind of hilarious how yg fans will always praise how creative and unique and different etc. their artists are, and now they basically all have the same style/sound. only instead of looking/sounding like other idols, as someone else pointed out, it's like they're trying their hardest to be RiFF RAFF.

a recent release i liked though is crispi crunch's sajangnim nice shot!, they always portray themselves as goofy ass perverts, but their songs are solid

Loading Video...

their last song, menboong time

Loading Video...

and their ode to night at the roxbury, thumbs up

Loading Video...

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it feels like a rejected GD song/video and with CL it doesn't really work for me. it's kind of hilarious how yg fans will always praise how creative and unique and different etc. their artists are, and now they basically all have the same style/sound.

I agree with pretty much all of that but it's also exactly what I was expecting from a CL solo effort so I'd already made peace with the inevitable. I do think that the video has some great visuals but they aren't really used effectively, it feels kind of thrown together. The song would be better if it was more balanced, the back half is good but it's front loaded with two long, sparse "verse" sections.

YG could really use some fresh blood behind the scenes. The most disappointing aspect of this release for me is that it feels like it was on autopilot.

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SM's rookie guy group EXO is back with OOLF Wolf and maybe i've just gotten used to it from the leak months ago & choreography leak, but i think it's alright.

Loading Video...

other recent guy group releases include VIXX with Hyde, which is somehow more laughable than OOLF but the song is about as good

Loading Video...

starship's boy group Boyfriend released On & On which is really not my thing at all

Loading Video...

100% is back and shirtless as fuck with Want U Back

Loading Video...

2PM is finally back in korea with A.D.T.O.Y. and it's dope

Loading Video...

B1A4 has been doing well with their new song What's Happening?

Loading Video...

and legends Shinhwa are back again with This Love

Loading Video...

sorry if i missed any but that's a pretty good sampling anyways

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hello again thread. the new rainbow is out

Loading Video...

mblaq is finally back with a new song

Loading Video...

san-e now free from jyp and on brand new music finally decides to release a new song

Loading Video...

skarf is back as well

Loading Video...

some heavy hitters coming this month: sistar, after school, dal shabet, henry lau, crayon pop, chocolat, and supposedly fiestar, girl's day, and a pink.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#219  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@mcghee Okay. Solve this for me. You know more about K-Pop than I do, obviously because well...obviously.

A friend and I got into a huge argument over this a few days ago and we haven't spoken since. I want to preserve this friendship and having something as silly as an argument about K-Pop so I need you right now. I need your expert opinion.

Is Björk K-Pop? I say she is but my Korean friend stubbornly insists she's not because she's Icelandic or some shit. So I call him a fucking racist and we get kicked out of the movie theater.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220  Edited By McGhee

@mcghee Okay. Solve this for me. You know more about K-Pop than I do, obviously because well...obviously.

A friend and I got into a huge argument over this a few days ago and we haven't spoken since. I want to preserve this friendship and having something as silly as an argument about K-Pop so I need you right now. I need your expert opinion.

Is Björk K-Pop? I say she is but my Korean friend stubbornly insists she's not because she's Icelandic or some shit. So I call him a fucking racist and we get kicked out of the movie theater.

Umm . . . what?

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onimonkii:

I'm looking forward to After School and Fiestar, but I am really going crazy waiting for IU and Kara to return this summer.

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

It's been quite sometime since I listened to K-Pop. I remembered the time when I listened to groups like S#arp, Seo Taiji, and Jaurim.

Nowadays the newer (and popular) groups, seems to be more like one hit wonders to me, but again it might be due to my age.

Anyway, here's one of Jaurim's best songs (sounds bit like Cranberries)

Loading Video...

therabidfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

The only one that counts!

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224  Edited By frankxiv

@mcghee said:

@onimonkii:

I'm looking forward to After School and Fiestar, but I am really going crazy waiting for IU and Kara to return this summer.

i just hope the kara one isn't disappointing ever since lupin they haven't had that same hype behind their releases. iu i am less enthusiastic about but there will probably be a few guaranteed good songs out of it. new taeyang & 2ne1 around the same time should be nice, should yg not push them back again forever. it's been forever since a new beast too, t-ara eh, i dunno. even as a fan of their work i am keeping my expectations low with this one, aside from how good jeon won diary was, ccm has been full of questionable decisions lately.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225  Edited By McGhee

@mcghee said:

@onimonkii:

i just hope the kara one isn't disappointing ever since lupin they haven't had that same hype behind their releases. iu i am less enthusiastic about but there will probably be a few guaranteed good songs out of it. new taeyang & 2ne1 around the same time should be nice, should yg not push them back again forever. it's been forever since a new beast too, t-ara eh, i dunno. even as a fan of their work i am keeping my expectations low with this one, aside from how good jeon won diary was, ccm has been full of questionable decisions lately.

About Kara, that's not true at all. Step was hugely successful in both Korea and Japan. Pandora was not as big, probably because of the criticisms that it sounded too Japanese. There was also controversy about those stupid islands that Korea and Japan are fighting over and Kara's, Gyuri, in her comments would not come down on either side of the issue. She handled it perfectly but still got some criticism from both sides. Kara is the #1 Korean girl group in Japan, the first to ever hold a solo concert in the Tokyo Dome just this year in January. So yes, Kara may have slipped slightly after Step in popularity in Korea because they have focused so much in Japan, where they are mega-huge, but if they come back with a song as good as Step, they would jump back into the limelight instantly. Hell, they are all even filming a 5 part mini-drama series for Korea right now.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226  Edited By McGhee

@rebgav said:
Loading Video...

CL's solo single just showed up. I like the song but the video is not particularly great, though it does have its moments.

Holy shit, this is one of the worst songs I have ever heard. Dreadful. Not to mention the whole "Korean girl acting like a thug" nonsense.

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227  Edited By frankxiv

@mcghee said:

@onimonkii said:

@mcghee said:

@onimonkii:

About Kara, that's not true at all. Step was hugely successful in both Korea and Japan. Pandora was not as big, probably because of the criticisms that it sounded too Japanese. There was also controversy about those stupid islands that Korea and Japan are fighting over and Kara's, Gyuri, in her comments would not come down on either side of the issue. She handled it perfectly but still got some criticism from both sides. Kara is the #1 Korean girl group in Japan, the first to ever hold a solo concert in the Tokyo Dome just this year in January. So yes, Kara may have slipped slightly after Step in popularity in Korea because they have focused so much in Japan, where they are mega-huge, but if they come back with a song as good as Step, they would jump back into the limelight instantly. Hell, they are all even filming a 5 part mini-drama series for Korea right now.

i just mean for me personally, i don't factor overall korean popularity into things i like. step and jumping were just kinda boring when they should have been like earth shattering, especially because they'd been spending so much time in japan (where i don't like anything they've put out at all), when they come back to korea it feels like it should be a big event. maybe it's just expectations were too high on my part, but regardless of their commercial/chart success, they just haven't really been the same to me. like, pandora was a step in the right direction imo, that was basically what i had been waiting for all along, and seungyeon's solo was great, but hers was the only one i liked. so idk, expectations are low for me, hopefully i'll be surprised.

MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@mcghee said:

@mariachimacabre said:

Umm . . . what?

Is she K-Pop? Y/N

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#229  Edited By oraknabo

@onimonkii: Thanks for posting that. I can't deny the talent behind lot of this gayo stuff, but it just never appeals to me much. It reminds me too much of western pop groups most of the time and it seems to me that a lot of it would be written off a lot quicker if the same songs were being done by Americans or Europeans.

I haven't heard Hong Jin Young before, but that trot sound instantly appeals to me more than most of what has been posted on this thread.

Amilmitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By Amilmitt

@rebgav said:

Loading Video...

I quite liked it.

but i guess thats because i'm not a snob.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231  Edited By beforet

My girlfriend played this on my computer a lot, and I can't say I hate it. So I share with you. Warning: From my understanding, this music has some Homestuck connections. So if that stuff sends you into fits, then I advise against listening.

Loading Video...

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By rebgav

@mcghee said:

@rebgav said:
Loading Video...

Holy shit, this is one of the worst songs I have ever heard. Dreadful. Not to mention the whole "Korean girl acting like a thug" nonsense.

I'd argue that the individual elements are okay and could have been massaged into a good song but that the end result here is poor overall.

Hopefully 2NE1's comeback will be better and we can all forget that this ever happened. I am going to go ahead and file this song under guilty "pleasures."

@amilmitt said:

I quite liked it.

but i guess thats because i'm not a snob.

I love CL and I like this particular song more than I'd expect most people to but it's pretty disappointing. You don't have to be a snob to be turned off by the mish-mash of musical styles and the WWE Divas level of quality and authenticity in the video.

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233  Edited By frankxiv
@beforet said:

My girlfriend played this on my computer a lot, and I can't say I hate it. So I share with you. Warning: From my understanding, this music has some Homestuck connections. So if that stuff sends you into fits, then I advise against listening.

block b is good but that's the first i've heard of that. i guess i wouldn't if i didn't actively follow it anyways right? anyway yeah it's unfortunate what's happening to them, they're a good group. check out LOL

Loading Video...

and Nalina

Loading Video...

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

normally i'd wait for a couple more releases to post up a block of new music, but here's Henry from suju m's solo debut

Loading Video...

villainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237  Edited By MariachiMacabre
McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Loading Video...

Thanks (in-part) to @babylonian, I've recently caught up with this video; I fucking love everything about it. The tune, the look, all of it. The way it shifts into that next gear in the back end is aces.

MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240  Edited By MariachiMacabre
McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buzz_clik: I'm glad someone likes it. Makes me grind my teeth.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#242  Edited By buzz_clik

@villainy: Why would you apologise for making something better?

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243  Edited By McGhee

@mariachimacabre:

I had been asking myself if you were being serious, trying to be funny, or just being a dick. I'm leaning toward just being a dick.

MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcghee said:

@mariachimacabre:

I had been asking myself if you were being serious, trying to be funny, or just being a dick. I'm leaning toward just being a dick.

I can assure you no dickishness was intended. It was all in the name of whimsy and jest. Mostly whimsy.

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

to prep for new releases, and to desperately try to get this thread back on track, here's the last song released by each group coming back soon.

after school - flashback

Loading Video...

chocolat - harumandeo (pick whichever of the like 4 translations you like)

Loading Video...

crayon pop - dancing queen

Loading Video...

sistar - alone

Loading Video...

personally, just based on the teasers that have come out, sistar is probably going to just destroy everything. AS hasn't put out an mv/audio teaser yet, so there's still time for them to blow people away. chocolat's black tinkerbell, from the teaser and the bit they performed on after school club, seems alright, but probably won't make much of an impact. crayon pop's bar bar bar could do alright for them, but i dunno, they're like the rookiest of rookies still, and i don't think their goofy style leads to as many sales as it is endearing.

anyways, here's the teasers in question, judge for yourself.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

Don't know what's the deali-o with fancams in this thread but in relation to @onimonkii's contribution of Crayon Pop's latest teaser, here is the first live performance of it.

Loading Video...

I've been fidgeting all day trying to get the song and the choreography out of my head. It's so silly. I love it to bits.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onimonkii: Sistar has really hit the zeitgeist in Korea. "Alone" was pretty good, but after that, I haven't seen anything they've done that is particularly great, but Korea is eating it up like crazy. They have jumped into the top tier and I'm scratching my head over it. Their group has no balance in my mind. They have Hyorin. Bora is alright. But if you look at them as a team, I think they are lacking. There is nothing that puts their recent releases above many others, but they have hit a high to where it doesn't matter. It's kind of interesting how these things happen.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aurahack: I think Crayon Pop is almost suited to Japan better than Korea, like they could blow up there if they did it right.

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcghee said:

@onimonkii: Sistar has really hit the zeitgeist in Korea. "Alone" was pretty good, but after that, I haven't seen anything they've done that is particularly great, but Korea is eating it up like crazy. They have jumped into the top tier and I'm scratching my head over it. Their group has no balance in my mind. They have Hyorin. Bora is alright. But if you look at them as a team, I think they are lacking. There is nothing that puts their recent releases above many others, but they have hit a high to where it doesn't matter. It's kind of interesting how these things happen.

yeah, it's weird to see what hits big out of nowhere and what continues being stuck in the middle somewhere (rainbow ;_;). personally i think soyu has a great voice, and i far prefer it to hyorin oversinging everything, but she gets all the credit for the group's vocals. bora is super pretty, but she's basically just another one of hyorin's backup dancers in sistar19. can't even really say much about dasom other than she's cute, so that right there just further proves how imbalanced they are as a group. that said, their songs are consistently good.

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250  Edited By frankxiv

sistar's new mv is out, the song is great imo

Loading Video...

ccm put out a project group of soyeon from t-ara, eunkyo from 5dolls, yoojin from the seeya, and taewoon & sungmin from speed. the mv stars jiyeon from t-ara and is sad as hell @aurahack probably shouldn't watch.

Loading Video...

chocolat's black tinkerbell is also out

Loading Video...

still waiting on crayon pop's bar bar bar and after school's first love. first love sounds a bit like sistar19's gone not around any longer from the teaser. here's that teaser.

Loading Video...

what do you guys think?