Less Known Aspects About Where You Live

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

Hey all. I live in Washington state where I work as a mental health therapist. In my job, I work with people who originate not only from different areas around the US, but around the world. Which has taught me that a lot of the assumptions I thought were obvious truisms aren't for a lot of people. For example, I just learned recently from a Syrian client that the idiom 'don't throw the baby out with the bathwater' isn't commonly used in the Middle East, at least from his experience. So I'm curious, what is something about where you live that is less known but you may have assumed was common knowledge?

One that I've learned from clients about Washington, that as a native Washingtonian I don't even give a second thought, is how wildly different Western Washington is from Eastern Washington. For those that don't know, Washington is broken up into three main sections, the islands and mainland on the western side and than the eastern side. The state is split by the Cascade Mountains.

So, climate-wise, Western Washington is a coastal climate. Our temperature ranges typically go from the mid-30's (Fahrenheit) to the mid-90's, depending on the season. We get mostly rain, a bit of snow from time to time (usually a good two-three weeks of snow), but a ton of just standard, grey and overcast with occasional sun breaks, and '40-50 degree weather. For about 6-7 months. Than our springs and summers are amazing. Than it's back to the '40-50 degree, grey with spots of sun weather. Eastern Washington is like a normal ass place, with normal ass seasons. Snow in the Winter. Hot as hell in the Summer. It's a rural area without the impact of the Pacific Ocean causing the coastal climate.

The Western-side is more populous and politically more progressive. The Eastern-side tends to lean more conservative but because there are so fewer people living over there they aren't well represented in our political system. As much as I personally don't agree with the views of the Eastern-side, it really does suck that they aren't well represented. It's gotten so bad that there have been talks to split and state in half (well, more like 1/3 on the west and 2/3 on the east) and create two separate states because they are so distinct. As a Washingtonian myself, I personally wouldn't be opposed to the idea. The folks over there should feel better represented than they are. But also their economy might take a bit shot. The East side is where most of our agriculture comes from. But when you think of Microsoft, Boeing, Nintendo of America, Valve, Amazon. There all on the West side.

So yeah, there you go. A bunch of Washington tidbits. Enjoy?

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

I live in New England in the state of Massachusetts. This area of teh country considered a very liberal leaning politically and socially. But here are MILLION of conservatives who live, vote, and participate in New England. And the political and social viewing range in New England runs from extreme Left leaning to extreme Right leaning. If you WANTED to find the most intolerant and racists person you can find them in New England for sure. If you want to find the most liberal, living on a commune growing vegetables for the Vegan Co-op, you will find them here too! ;-)

One weird fact is that if you look at per-capita (per-1000 people) you see states like California, New Jersey and Maryland as having the most millionaires. But f you look just at concentration of wealth were millionaires live next to other millonarios Massachusetts and Connecticut top those lists I think California iit would rank as the world's fifth largest economy, ahead of India and behind Germany; but it is a big state with a lot of people. Massachusetts is a small dense state with the population living close together so out "concentration of wealth" is off the chart. The other interesting statistic is that the "millionaires" that live 8 months or more out of the year in other states have second, third or fourth homes in New England. Many past Presidents, Vice Presidents, Senators, and Diplomats own summer homes or vacation in Massachusetts .

World-wide, as part of official records, more people have been hung for Witchcraft in the the geographical area of what is now New England than any other location. The reason you hear about the Salem Witch trials in nearly every US history book in the United States is...WE DID IT A LOT!

FAMOUS FIRSTS IN MASSACHUSETTS:

• 1634: First public park in America, Boston Common
  • 1635: First American public secondary school, Boston Latin Grammar School
  • 1636: First American university, Harvard, Cambridge
  • 1638: First American printing press, Cambridge
  • 1639: First free American public school, Boston
  • 1650: First American ironworks, Saugus
  • 1653: First American public library, Boston
  • 1704: First regularly issued American newspaper, The Boston News-Letter
  • 1716: First American lighthouse, Boston Harbor, Hull
  • 1775: First battle of American Revolution, Lexington and Concord
  • 1775: First commissioned ship of U.S. Navy, Beverly
  • 1789: First American novel published, William Hill Brown’s “The Power of Sympathy,” Worcester
  • 1826: First American railroad, Quincy
  • 1831: First abolitionist newspaper, The Liberator, Boston
  • 1876: First telephone demonstrated by Alexander Graham Bell, Boston
  • 1891: First basketball game, Springfield
  • 1892: First gasoline-powered automobile, Springfield
  • 1898: First American subway system, Boston
  • 1926: First liquid fuel rocket, launched by Dr. Robert Goddard, Auburn
  • 1928: First computer, developed at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge