• 62 results
Nals

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Nals

Hey all. I've been wanting to write this up for awhile now, and figured with most of the crew now trying out coffee, what better time was there. Ideally this post will convince people to give more specialty coffee types a try, and to educate people about just how deep the coffee rabbit hole goes. I'm hoping to keep this guide somewhat basic, because I realize for many people specialty coffee/coffee in general can be a bit intimidating.

A little bit of background information. I moved to Seattle about 10 years ago, and have spent the last 7-8 years working in the coffee industry. I've worked for some of the best coffee shops in the city ( Slate, Ladro, Fonte, Voxx ), have competed in several national competitions, and have placed in many regional competitions such as the #TNTNW ( come check it out if you live in the Northwest! ). While in the past I've worked as a master taster/manager, I've taken a bit of a break from professional coffee to assist the company my girlfriend works for, as they transition into a more third wave coffee model.

In short I really love coffee.

A disclaimer before I begin. I'm not writing this guide out of an attempt to slam coffee knowledge down people's throats, I'm doing it to hopefully get more people interested in coffee. Because of this, I'll be generalizing many things, skipping many things, and breaking things down to the essentials. I'm also operating from the viewpoint of someone who has grown into coffee entirely through the Seattle Third Wave movement, which means I understand/word things from that perspective. I've picked up some of the East Coast phrases due to competitions, but I'm not exactly fluent. Because of these two things, this guide may be a bit basic/worded a bit differently for those of you who work professional coffee in other states. That's just kind of how these things go unfortunately, but please post if I mess anything up/you do things differently, as I'm always down for trying new things.

Coffee!

Coffee comes from the seed of a fruiting bush grown in abundance all over the world, with the vast majority of it coming from the "Coffee Belt". While coffee has almost a hundred different species, the two used to make coffee in large scale are known as Arabica and Robusta.

Arabica beans are slightly smaller, contain less caffeine, and are significantly more expensive. However, they are also the best tasting, and contain the largest amounts of notes/flavors. Arabica is what you will be given if you get coffee at a coffee shop.

Robusta beans are larger, contain more caffeine, and are extremely easy to mass produce. They fruit easily and grow in large quantities, which keeps them cheap overall. Robusta generally gets a bad rap due to it's lack of flavors/notes, and it's higher bitterness. Robusta is what you will get if you buy store brand coffee ( Folgers and the like. )

Mixing the two is also seen as a good way to cut costs, and many coffee companies will blend Arabica/Robusta to keep costs down. Stores that do this are traditionally corporate ( Dilettante, Starbucks, Tully's ), although many smaller coffee companies have started doing this as well with the economic downturn. This is also why you will occasionally see "100% Arabica" mentioned by smaller stores as a point of pride.

No Caption Provided

While Arabica and Robusta are important to determine how a coffee will end up, the origin of a coffee is also pretty important. Coffee from different regions will generally offer different tastes, and you can generally have a pretty good idea of what you are getting ahead of time if you know each region's specialty.

Latin American/Caribbean coffees are what most people view as "traditional" coffee. The flavors and aromas from these coffees are immediate and recognizable for most people as what coffee "is". They are usually quite balanced, and make for a good starting point for most people getting in to coffee.

African coffees are bright, rich, and flavorful. When made correctly they should be almost reddish in color, and many people compare them to wine or tea. African coffees have the largest difference in flavor profile between regions, with Kenyan's usually being almost a tart/citrus flavor, and Ethiopians being more of a fruity/berry flavor.

Asian-Pacific coffees are much more earthy coffees in general. While they were ignored for quite some time, they've recently seen an upswing in the craft scene thanks to how well they take to dark roasts.

No Caption Provided

Once coffee is picked, it has to be processed. Processing is the method of getting the seed/bean out of the fruit/cherry. There is actually a considerable amount of debate going on right now as to the proper way to process a cherry, with pro's and con's for each method.

Wet ( Machine washed, washed ) process is the traditional way of processing for most of the world. The cherries are submerged in water, where the unripe fruit will float to the top. Remaining cherries are hulled through a screen, then fermented in their own enzymes/sprayed down to remove any mucilage ( that crispy paper thin filament on some beans ). Afterwards they are left to sundry. Wet process is generally liked for the consistency of the beans, and how easy it is to roast them, however some have argued that removing all of the cherry also takes away some of the flavor.

Dry ( unwashed, natural ) process is a bit more simplistic. The cherries are manually sorted and cleaned, then left to sundry, with workers turning them often to prevent mildew/uneven drying. While wet leaves beans dried in a reasonable amount of time, it can take over a month for dry processed beans to fully dry out. Once dried out, the cherries are hulled to get the seeds out. Dry is a bit pickier overall, which has led to it being used less. While it is more flavorful, uneven drying/mildew growth are impossible to see, which means you won't know you have a bad batch until you try it.

Semidry ( pulped natural, semiwashed, wethulled ) process is a new process that's just now starting to pick up. The cherries are hulled immediately after harvest, and the mucilage is allowed to ferment. After it ferments, the seed is quickly washed and dried. Semidry is liked because the beans maintain the consistency of Wet, while also having the flavor of Dry.

Roasting!

Once we receive the beans, we set out to roast them. Roasting is probably the most pivotal part of the entire process, as it can change the entire flavor of the coffee. Roasting is an incredibly complex process that I don't plan to get into here, but I will however talk about the different kinds of roasts, and what they offer.

A quick note on this. High grade coffee is separated by notes. These are the flavors you see on bags of coffee, and represent what you should be tasting when you drink it. The "bitter coffee" flavor most people associate with coffee isn't in fact the taste of coffee, it's the taste of the roasting process. "Good" coffee should have readily identifiable notes that you can taste past the taste of the roast itself. With that said, and you'll see in the next few paragraphs, that taste comes up for a reason. The more you roast a coffee, the more "body" it gets, which gives it an overall profile.

Light ( Half City, New England ) roasts are generally regarded as the wines or mixed drinks of the coffee world, maintaining all the flavor, with very little inherent bitterness, and almost no taste of the roast itself. Light roasts are a bit of an anomaly, while they are viewed as being extremely high quality, they are almost entirely unheard of outside of the Northwest/New England. Light Roasts are traditionally berry flavored, although they can branch out into other fruits/vegetables. To give an example of how fruity they can be, I've made up some of my Light Roasts for relatives who don't like coffee over the holidays, and they thought I was giving them juice.

Medium ( Regular, American, City, New England ) roasts are your traditional middle of the road option. They maintain their flavor profile even into the roasting process, while gaining a bit of the "body" that longer roasting provides. They are generally regarded as the stronger liquor of the coffee world with both variety, but also a bit more of that "bitter" taste. Medium Roasts are traditionally nuttier flavor profiles, with milk chocolate, hazelnut, almond, and caramel all being normal notes for Mediums.

Medium Dark ( Full City, Continental, Viennese ) roasts are the old timers of the coffee world. They give up a little of the lighter flavors in favor of a richer body and fuller coffee taste. I could write a paragraph here, but really Medium Darks are pretty simple, filling in that odd slot between Mediums and Darks, and I mainly wanted to list how the sidenames so when people see Full City on their bag of coffee they know what it really means. Medium Darks are usually similar profiles as Mediums, with a focus on chocolates/nutty flavors, however they have more of the "body" you associate with Darker roasts.

Dark ( French, Italian, Continental, Spanish, New Orleans ) roasts are the "standard" coffee you'll find in most cities across the country, and what you'll generally end up getting if you buy bagged coffee. All flavors have been eclipsed by the flavor of the roasting process, so you'll usually notice a bitter, burnt, or smoky aftertaste alongside the coffee flavor. However as harsh as that all sounds it still has positives. Dark Roasts have the best "body" when it comes to coffee, and strong flavors like Dark Chocolate or Molasses will carry through. Dark Coffee is also the least finicky to brew, which makes it great for beginners or stores with huge volumes of coffee sales. Dark Roasts are the beers of the coffee world, readily available/not great at first, but once you find the ones you like they work pretty well for you.

"Starbucks" roasts are a step above Dark. I use the term Starbucks endearingly, as this term applies to almost all the major Coffee Chains ( even most independent shops have a "Starbucks' roast, just because hotels/offices will buy it in bulk and you can use that money to fund passion projects. ). At this point the coffee has been roasted to the point it no longer has flavors outside of the roasting process, and you'll almost never catch a hint of it's origin. This is done for a reason, as by roasting it this far, you make it incredibly stable, and these companies have built up a business selling coffee nobody can really mess up ( because it's already roasted past any flavors you might actually mess up! ). Starbucks Roasts are the Bud or Coors of the coffee world. They get the job done, and are great in a hurry, but realistically you could be doing better.

Burnt roasts are bad. They have no flavor profile, have no roasting profile, are usually stale when you get them to make sure they don't change flavors to something worse on you mysteriously if you leave them in a cupboard for a few months, and are generally terrible. There isn't a single redeeming thing I can say about burnt roasts outside of they give you caffeine, in which case you could be just drinking tea. Burnt roasts are what you get when you buy stuff like Folgers. They are the 40's of the coffee world, technically they do the job, but why would you do that to yourself.

Blends?

The last thing I want to talk about is blends, or the absence of blends. And this is one of the most personal parts of any coffee shop, and comes entirely down to what the owners/roasters want to achieve with their roasts, so it's almost impossible to talk about this in any way that isn't vague. For that I apologize ahead of time.

Once you have the bean you want to roast, you can choose to blend it. By this I mean mixing it with other roasts to either strengthen certain things it does well, or cover up weaknesses you feel it may have. Outside of the ideas of flavor, you could also want to blend it to try and promote a brand, or maintain consistency across all your roasts.

Let me give an example to try and make sense of this. You have an African light roast that tastes HEAVILY of green apple. Now, in your mind it tastes so much like green apple it overpowers the drink, and you don't think it'll be enjoyed. So rather then throw it out, you can mix it with other roasts to "fix" the problem you've found. What pairs well with green apple in the real world? Well, people like caramel apples, so why not take a medium roast that tastes like caramel and throw some of that in there. And let's say you have a 60%/40% mix, and it's working, but you think the body just isn't good as it could be. So at this point you could throw in 10-20% of a dark roast to fully fill out the body. Or you could remove the medium, and instead add in a medium dark to give both body AND flavor. The potential combinations are pretty limitless and takes up quite a bit of time trying to "perfect" a coffee.

And that's just taking into account flavor. You also need to take into account brand recognition, or even just economics. Everyone recognizes Starbucks immediately due to the distinctive flavor their coffee has, this is because their blends all have the same amount of a specific dark roast mixed in. This taste makes sure no matter what Starbucks coffee you are drinking, it'll maintain the brand. Or from an economical side of things, you may have a roast that tastes INCREDIBLE, but costs 2-3x as much as most other coffees. To make it profitable you could split the roast with extremely light flavors it'll overpower, saving you in the long run.

It's quite complex, and in the interest of time/keeping this post pretty basic I don't want to get that deep into it, however there is one other way of blending I want to talk about, and that is the Single Origin.

Single Origin coffees are unique in that they are unblended, or if they are, it is only with other blends from the same area as the farm the original roast came from. This means that all the strengths and weaknesses of a particular farming region are in full force within that coffee, as nothing is done to balance it out. This imbalance is what gives Single Origins their strengths however, as you can find a Single Origin for practically every flavor of coffee. Single Origins are easily recognizable by how explosive the flavor profiles are, and how easy it is to identify various flavors within the coffee. Single Origins are best for the people who "hate" coffee, as they lack the inherent bitterness present in traditional coffee, instead veering between being almost a wine/juice.

Alright, I think that's enough writing for the night. Tomorrow I'll write up a primer guide on the various specialty coffee machines one can buy, and the pros and cons of each. If anyone has any questions or comments let me know, I'll be glad to answer any coffee questions, even mundane stuff. Hopefully I didn't go too crazy with this guide and make it unreadable for people interested in coffee, let me know if there is anything that wasn't well explained I suppose!

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Coffee's bad for ya!

rickyyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey, I am into coffee as well and appreciate the synopsis of coffee as well as terminology dump you have written. I've been drinking something called Mexican OTA which is a medium roast that has the earthy pungency aka dirt smell but the coffee tastes amazing. I also bought some other Latin American medium roast from Argentina or something. Haven't dug into it yet. In terms of my preferences, I like coffee that isn't bitter, acidic, and oily. There was a point where I couldn't believe how easy it was to achieve amazing tasting coffee.

Single Origins are an interesting take on coffee. It felt very hippy dippy when I heard about it but then realized the practical example of this coming from the wine world. There are two coffee places I have been to that left me extremely impressed and actually spurred my interest. I was in Denver for the Supercomputing conference in 2013 and went to a coffee shop called Ink! on Larimer. The coffee they served there was incredible especially since my experience was starbucks and crappy local shops in Corpus Christi, Texas. Ink! sells single origin coffee as well as some blends that they do.

I then just came back from San Diego and went to a coffee shop called Better Buzz Coffee. It also prescribed to the Single Origin mantra and is where the coffee I talked about earlier came from. The most interesting thing was at the register they had one of those HUGE drip coffee glassware things. I heard that in southeast asia they take those glass drip contraptions and feed the coffee produced back to the top and add a fresh layer of grounds until the coffee is super concentrated and serve that. I presume giving a sudo-expresso drink.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I drink whatever K-Cups are on sale for my Keurig. At work I drink those cans of Starbucks energy drinks. I ice down all my coffee. I find no appeal in drinking hot stuff. Cold (not room temperature) coffee is great. I'm basically a monster to those that know a lot about coffee.

Interesting read, by the way.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By mikemcn

Light Roasts really bother me, too much caffeine and too much like tea with their un-bitterness.

Good summary of all things coffee though! I worry that i don't get the real taste of coffee, usually I keurig K-cup it in the morning before running to lecture, but sometimes I take the time to french press it (WIth cheaper coffee...)

DO you feel that without grinding my own beans i'm really missing out? Alot of coffee people praise grinding, but that's an extra step, it's a busy world and I just want some coffee.

chrjz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By chrjz

@mikemcn said:

Light Roasts really bother me, too much caffeine and too much like tea with their un-bitterness.

Good summary of all things coffee though! I worry that i don't get the real taste of coffee, usually I keurig K-cup it in the morning before running to lecture, but sometimes I take the time to french press it (WIth cheaper coffee...)

DO you feel that without grinding my own beans i'm really missing out? Alot of coffee people praise grinding, but that's an extra step, it's a busy world and I just want some coffee.

I find that grinding your beans just before brewing is the best way to get the most of your coffee.

Say what you will about the many methods of brewing; fresh, freshly ground beans are the most important step, to me.

I also think K-cups are some of the worst coffee I've ever had so you and I might not be on the same page.

If convenience trumps all for you then, by all means, buy ground coffee.

razzdrazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the love for coffee on the GB forum! I also have a sincere love for the bean and the third wave movement. I used to work for Sightglass, a lovely roaster in the Bay Area that focuses on light roasts (their Ethiopians are killer). The roast is, ultimately, the most crucial part of the preparation of coffee. And great roasting is going to become increasingly important in the future if we want our coffee to keep on tasting good! With so much of the crop potentially threatened by coffee rust and climate change, some producers (ie. Blue Bottle) have seen Robusta as a viable, albeit yucky, alternative for blending.

A question: What is your favorite way of preparing coffee? I've personally grown fond of my V60, but I've found the Aeropress to be a nice, quick alternative. And I sure do miss working on the Strada MP at my former workplace. There's just something about perfectly-extracted espresso that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

@thatonedudenick You should definitely try some cold brew coffee. Blue Bottle and Stumptown have started mass producing theirs and it's super tasty, especially for being out of a carton. It's also surprisingly easy to make at home, especially if you have the tools. Even if you don't, a big jar and a good grinder are really all you need.

razzdrazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By razzdrazz

@mikemcn said:

I'd have to agree here that a fresh grind makes a huge difference in the taste of your coffee. I use a hand grinder for mine, but it's kind of a pain if you're in a hurry. And a higher-end grinder can set you back $100 or more. Ultimately, though, it all boils down to personal preference, and if you find that the difference isn't worth the price, then I can definitely empathize.

chrjz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the love for coffee on the GB forum! I also have a sincere love for the bean and the third wave movement. I used to work for Sightglass, a lovely roaster in the Bay Area that focuses on light roasts (their Ethiopians are killer). The roast is, ultimately, the most crucial part of the preparation of coffee.

I had a light roast Ethiopian Yirgacheffe, once upon a time, that I fell in love with but I haven't been able to find the bean roasted quite so well since then.

I've also been to the Blue Mountains in Jamaica... I don't think I'll ever top the coffee I drank there.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#10 sgtsphynx  Moderator

Kenya beans in a French Press is how I make coffee.

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By meptron

I've heard that the best part of waking up is folgers in your cup.

chrjz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use a hand grinder for mine, but it's kind of a pain if you're in a hurry. And a higher-end grinder can set you back $100 or more. Ultimately, though, it all boils down to personal preference, and if you find that the difference isn't worth the price, then I can definitely empathize.

I also have a hand grinder and would also agree it's kind of a pain... but again, like you said, a good electric burr grinder is going to set you back.

Nals

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Nals
@rickyyo said:

Hey, I am into coffee as well and appreciate the synopsis of coffee as well as terminology dump you have written. I've been drinking something called Mexican OTA which is a medium roast that has the earthy pungency aka dirt smell but the coffee tastes amazing. I also bought some other Latin American medium roast from Argentina or something. Haven't dug into it yet. In terms of my preferences, I like coffee that isn't bitter, acidic, and oily. There was a point where I couldn't believe how easy it was to achieve amazing tasting coffee.

Single Origins are an interesting take on coffee. It felt very hippy dippy when I heard about it but then realized the practical example of this coming from the wine world. There are two coffee places I have been to that left me extremely impressed and actually spurred my interest. I was in Denver for the Supercomputing conference in 2013 and went to a coffee shop called Ink! on Larimer. The coffee they served there was incredible especially since my experience was starbucks and crappy local shops in Corpus Christi, Texas. Ink! sells single origin coffee as well as some blends that they do.

I then just came back from San Diego and went to a coffee shop called Better Buzz Coffee. It also prescribed to the Single Origin mantra and is where the coffee I talked about earlier came from. The most interesting thing was at the register they had one of those HUGE drip coffee glassware things. I heard that in southeast asia they take those glass drip contraptions and feed the coffee produced back to the top and add a fresh layer of grounds until the coffee is super concentrated and serve that. I presume giving a sudo-expresso drink.

Would that happen to be a Yama? https://prima-coffee.com/equipment/yama/cdm-25

I've used one in the past, and love it for it's Iced Coffee. I've been thinking about buying one for personal use soon.

I've also seen something called an Oja ( or Owa, or something like that ) which was a bit more complex and closer to what you described, but I've only ever seen it at a single coffee shop and it was quite some time ago. Google doesn't bring up anything so I might be misremembering the name.

And yeah, I went from thinking the whole Single Origin craze was the most hippie shit possible, then got myself hooked on some SO Ethiopians. Now it's practically all I drink.

@mikemcn said:

Going to depend on what you consider work at the end of the day. Coffee is like meat in that it oxygenates rather quickly, and thus also spoils really quickly once exposed to air. While a bag of coffee has a shelf life of about 15-20ish days after it's roast date before it goes bad, you have between 3-5 days after coffee has been ground before it starts to go bad, and shipping/personal use can put a damper on that.

The thing is though that how much this matters to you will depend on what you are drinking. Darker/cheaper roasts are deliberately made to make this not quite as noticeable, so if all you drink is cheap stuff, you probably wouldn't get much gain from grinding things yourself. If you are going for higher quality coffee though, getting it ground around the time you drink it could make it considerably better tasting.

One thing to realize is that most coffee shops will grind coffee for free, even if it's a competitors coffee brand. And most supermarkets have a grinder in their coffee aisle you can use to grind your own coffees. As long as it's not a blade grinder ( which few shops use, and are mainly for largescale grinding ), you shouldn't have many issues with getting coffee ground in the immediate area on your way home/while shopping.

Basically it's personal preference. I largely drink Single Origins/Ethiopians, so I'm somewhat forced into using a same day grinder because any variation in my coffee could ruin the flavor. If you don't mind what you are already drinking, you could probably stick with it, and leave getting it ground for special occasions.

@razzdrazz said:

Thanks for the love for coffee on the GB forum! I also have a sincere love for the bean and the third wave movement. I used to work for Sightglass, a lovely roaster in the Bay Area that focuses on light roasts (their Ethiopians are killer). The roast is, ultimately, the most crucial part of the preparation of coffee. And great roasting is going to become increasingly important in the future if we want our coffee to keep on tasting good! With so much of the crop potentially threatened by coffee rust and climate change, some producers (ie. Blue Bottle) have seen Robusta as a viable, albeit yucky, alternative for blending.

A question: What is your favorite way of preparing coffee? I've personally grown fond of my V60, but I've found the Aeropress to be a nice, quick alternative. And I sure do miss working on the Strada MP at my former workplace. There's just something about perfectly-extracted espresso that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

@thatonedudenick You should definitely try some cold brew coffee. Blue Bottle and Stumptown have started mass producing theirs and it's super tasty, especially for being out of a carton. It's also surprisingly easy to make at home, especially if you have the tools. Even if you don't, a big jar and a good grinder are really all you need.

I'm a huge Chemex supporter. I've had a few friends tell me I should get used to the V60, but there is just something so comforting to me about that big dumb glass carafe.

As I mentioned above, I'm teetering towards buying a Yama to make cold brew, though I think I want to run some tests against traditional toddy before I drop that kind of money.

And then I usually just make myself espresso at work. I have a little Forte I bought to mess around with different types of espresso roasts at work, and whenever I'm there I just slip in some Single Origins and dial them in for myself.

rickyyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nals:

I use a melitta (however you spell it... you know what I mean) Single Cup thing. I also bought a Hario V60 and think it is pretty incredible from a presentation standpoint but the coffee that my cheap melitta single cup apparatus is just as good. Also, I am pretty sure it is a Yama product to answer that question. I thought about cold brew but it seems to time intensive and every time I do it I think it tastes terrible or doesn't come out right. I live right near Austin, Texas and there is a great local cold brew coffee concentrate you can buy called Chameleon Cold Brew.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#15  Edited By monkeyking1969
No Caption Provided

Because sometimes I just want to watch the world burn....

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great post, thanks for the information. Easy to digest and covered a lot of bases I have heretofore never properly understood.

I have a single-cup French press and a small Kyocera manual burr grinder - it's probably the cheapest "good coffee" setup you can make for yourself. I highly recommend it if you want to enter the wonderful world of good coffee. To paraphrase Adam Carolla, the worst thing about drinking good coffee is how much you end up hating "regular" coffee.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BradBrains

Tested.com is that way bro!

haah just kidding

interesting read! was always thinking of getting a french press sometime.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By Sterling
But what about the pie coop?
But what about the pie coop?

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Prince of Tides is neither about princes nor tides. Discuss.

... Sorry, wrong Coffee Talk.

Alphaknowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nals: Thanks for sharing! It was a very interesting read.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I will bookmark this thread to learn stuff.

razzdrazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By razzdrazz

@nals: I've found that the Chemex is a bit more consistent than the V60, although the V60 can bring out a great coffee's flavor more than the Chemex would. All this barista talk makes me miss dialing in. Guess I'll just have to save and hope for the that home setup someday ;)

hugh_jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nals: I've found that the Chemex is a bit more consistent than the V60, although the V60 can bring out a great coffee's flavor more than the Chemex would. All this barista talk makes me miss dialing in. Guess I'll just have to save and hope for the that home setup someday ;)

I recently got an Able Kone filter for my Chemex, as well as a Hario Mini Mill instead of an old crappy Krups Burr Grinder, and holy shit what a transformation. Because the Mini Mill can grind with very little "fines" and the Able Kone has such a fine mesh there's basically no sediment that gathers in the coffee, and the flavour is quite a bit different when compared with using a paper filter.

I'm only saying this because you mentioned Chemex, and I felt the need to ventilate. My girlfriend(with whom I live and who bought me the Chemex, the Hario pour over kettle and the Able filter) doesn't drink coffee. We are, however, equally big tea-snobs.

Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Giantsquirrel

Ladro shout-out!

daggon55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

At work I keep a V60, Hario Slim Grinder and Bonavita electric kettle. I've found this is a great combo as I can make a single cup in the morning (I try not to drink more than a cup a day). The Bonavita is nice because it doesn't have any exposed heating elements so its safe to use\keep in an office. On average I've found it doesn't take me much longer to make my cup than it does to refill the machine in the lunch room, maybe a minute or two more. It also helps that Intelligensia has one of its main roasters in Chicago so I can order from them and get coffee roasted only 2 days ago.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not being a coffee drinker and knowing next to nothing about it, I was still compelled to read your introduction to it. Very nicely done.

mechakirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

I have a keurig. Am I trash?

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I have a keurig. Am I trash?

No, normal people like me that drink regular drip coffee are trash. You are just lazy!

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Enjoying Keurig cups makes things really convenient.

razielrioux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

This is quite interesting to read. I really love coffee, but I am very ignorant into the nuts and bolts of what kinds of coffee are out there, so I love that you have provided some insight!

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't drink coffee due to personal reasons, but I found this post to be very informative. Kudos duder! =)

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

What a weird website. I love this place.

davidh219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By davidh219

I only drink instant coffee, because convenience trumps literally anything else in the world, and I also drink it black. I feel like I can hear people's skin crawling.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Instant coffee, every day, three times a day

The extent of my coffee knowledge

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Coffee :D

Coffee is great! Also great post @nals

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If any of you have any chance to try a turkish style cup of coffee then don't pass that one up.

Avatar image for gristlemcthornbody
GristleMcThornbody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So if lighter roasts have more caffeine, why does the starbuck's dark roast supposedly have so much more caffeine than 'regular' coffee?

trucksimulator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By trucksimulator

I drink regular drip coffee since I only use it to wake myself up, but this was a fun read anyway. Thanks for sharing.

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just got a super dark Kenyan blend from a local coffee roaster and it is knocking my socks off every morning.

Because of my culture (Arab), I drink a lot of Turkish coffee and Saudi Arabian coffee. The latter has cardamom and saffron so you can imagine the flavor profiles you'll get. I highly recommend trying them out if you haven't already.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf47a52ab2a3
deactivated-5bf47a52ab2a3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@davidh219 said:

I only drink instant coffee, because convenience trumps literally anything else in the world, and I also drink it black. I feel like I can hear people's skin crawling.

I used to prefer the taste of black instant coffee when I was a kid. Between about ages 10-15. I wouldn't savour it or anything either, I'd just chug it down like a glass of milk.

We had plenty of other beans around the house but nobody ever told me any better. My parents are...uhhh...interesting.

paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Third wave coffee movement.

THIRD WAVE COFFEE MOVEMENT.

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Thanks @drewbert for the recommendation to read this, and thanks to you (Nals) for taking the time to write this up. Very interesting and informative. I'm sipping on a regular cup of Starbucks House Blend from a coffee maker, but will gladly explore other options in the future and use this as a guide.

NORMALNIMROD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm 25, average weight and healthy... apart from my terrible bad blood pressure and its all down to that sweet sweet brown water.

UncleBenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Thanks for the write up duder, this is super informative.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#45  Edited By Y2Ken

Wow, this is a lot of information about coffee. Thanks!

In general I tend to just grab an instant coffee in the morning, but when I can get it I do prefer a freshly-made one. Generally I'll take it black - usually the better the coffee the more inclined I am to do so, whereas worse coffee I'll add milk. Though I do drink instant coffee black at the moment, so there's that. If you find a good one it tastes alright. Nothing quite like a freshly-ground cup though.

I tend to favour medium or dark roast for my morning drink, but you're right about lighter roasts being very interesting and something I think more people should try out. When I've got my own place I might get more into the complexities of high-quality home-prepared coffee. The process of making it seems like it could be very satisfying, not too dissimilar to cooking.

xhaktmtjdnf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just to second what everyone has said this is a great write up. Any recommendation on making cold coffee I just brew regular coffee and add a ton of ice to my tumbler, but I'm sure there are more professional methods.

thisiharat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I drink coffee every morning at home.. and I got my coffee from Aldi..

hylian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like coffee

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've yet to have a cup of coffee that does not taste like dirt.

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I drink coffee every morning at home.. and I got my coffee from Aldi..

I just bought some of the Aldi medium roast this past week and was surprised how okay it was.