• 85 results
SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SexyToad

Hello everyone! About 5 months ago the GiantBomb community set out to create a game. The project unfortunately died. However I am determined to bring it back and see it to the end!

Let's Make A Game 2013

Our goal is to create a game as a community. I'll post blogs so duders not in the project can follow our progress. So far nothing is set in stone yet. We most likely be going down the path of an RPG game.

We're not taking anymore sign ups for the Story or the Design Team.

After signing up, request access to our Google Drive over here.

An overview of the design document can be found here.

Voting for the story is currently going on here.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

Can I sign up as Special Thanks?

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TheHumanDove

Can I sign up as a smug, jaded, nonbeliever?

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Winternet

Hello

h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By h0lgr

Sounds great, I'm pumped.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By TobbRobb

I want to so badly, but I really can't.

Do you want to do some kind of blog to let us follow the project? That could be fun.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By ShadowConqueror

Maybe if I weren't already committed to a project. Good luck, folks.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By TwoLines

Gonna try helping out with the story. Heck, maybe going to help with the art too.

EDIT: Oops, I dunno if I have to give my gmail mail, or any mail. I sent both.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mandude

I think this might be another futile endeavour for as long as we don't rectify what made it die the last time.

People can't realistically commit to specific departments or the project as a whole until some of the finer details have been worked out. Until that point you run the risk of over-saturating the project with people who only have a mild interest, which in turn dilutes the commitment coming from people who genuinely want to create something.

Just keep in mind that in this environment, asset creators are more valuable to you than designers, so if you're going for a similar design-by-committee system like the last project had, I would recommend making it entirely inclusive of the people who will actually be making the various parts of the game.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Nictel

I'm in with sexy code!

Though you know, it needs lots of planning -> what kind of game, platforms, etc! :-)

konig_kei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By konig_kei
@mandude

I think this might be another futile endeavour for as long as we don't rectify what made it die the last time.

People can't realistically commit to specific departments or the project as a whole until some of the finer details have been worked out. Until that point you run the risk of over-saturating the project with people who only have a mild interest, which in turn dilutes the commitment coming from people who genuinely want to create something.

Just keep in mind that in this environment, asset creators are more valuable to you than designers, so if you're going for a similar design-by-committee system like the last project had, I would recommend making it entirely inclusive of the people who will actually be making the various parts of the game.

Pretty much this, I never joined the last one cause I knew it would never get very far but I am pretty interested in finding out how far it did get, if you're gonna commit to this then check out pivotal tracker it'll be a lifesaver.
TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By TruthTellah

@mandude said:

I think this is rather spot on. While being aware of people's strengths is important, having being sectioned off early on threatens the longterm feasibility of it.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#13  Edited By Little_Socrates

@mandude said:

As the previous projects "Lead Level Designer," I whole-heartedly agree. We couldn't agree on a gameplay structure, so it was impossible to design levels. Get the creative team together first, then decide if you want further design leads. Asset creation is still useful, though, grab them early.

DrFlapjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DrFlapjack

@Winternet: @mandude: @Little_Socrates: @TruthTellah: For those of you involved last time, what do you think about picking up where we left off? We had a pretty solid base and we were at a point where assets were ready to be created.

@TheHumanDove: Certainly! After the last one I'm with you, but I still think it's worth a shot.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#15  Edited By Little_Socrates

@DrFlapjack: I never even got started. My portion of the game is just not viable at this point in production. Also, I'm swamped with other stuff right now, so I won't be available until mid-May or June.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Winternet

Some strong ground rules is what this project needs.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SexyToad

@DrFlapjack said:

@Winternet: @mandude: @Little_Socrates: @TruthTellah: For those of you involved last time, what do you think about picking up where we left off? We had a pretty solid base and we were at a point where assets were ready to be created.

@TheHumanDove: Certainly! After the last one I'm with you, but I still think it's worth a shot.

I wouldn't mind trying to pick off where we left off. I felt like the story idea we came up with was pretty decent. If there is still interest in the last project I can find where we left off at and continue.

9cupsoftea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By 9cupsoftea

Wouldn't it be easier for you guys to do this in one of the programs already out there? Stuff like AGS, Game maker, rpg maker, unity?

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Winternet

@9cupsoftea said:

Wouldn't it be easier for you guys to do this in one of the programs already out there? Stuff like AGS, Game maker, rpg maker, unity?

We were going with Unity last time I checked and I think that's still the plan.

Hexic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Hexic

Hey! This looks awesome! I produce electronic music, and I submitted my form! I really hope this project doesn't die out because people lose interest. Hope to hear more about this project in the near future. Good Luck!

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

I'd be up for giving it another go. I was on the writing team last time and that seemed like kinda of a mess. Lots of ideas and not much direction. I think coming up with one or two people to set the plot with all the main story beats then dividing that up amongst the writers to work on their set tasks would have helped probably. That being said the writing probably can wait until the mechanics/art are farther along.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SexyToad

We need some more members to help out with the project. So far we have 3 coders, 3 designers, 3 musicians, 4 artists, and 6 storyline members.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By Snail

Where is this project at anyway?

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SexyToad
@Snail We're not too far yet. Hoping to get a basic plot down this weekend.
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Snail

@SexyToad: And how many people are working on this? Do you guys have able programmers and graphic artists? I'm just curious how steady the project is right now. I remember there were a bunch of people involved back when this started.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SexyToad
@Snail Sadly only 12 members strong. We have 4 members willing to help on art, and 3 on code.
Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Kevin_Cogneto

@SexyToad said:

We need some more members to help out with the project. So far we have 3 coders, 3 designers, 3 musicians, 4 artists, and 6 storyline members.

Speaking with my full authority as a man with a Useless Bachelor's of Arts in Creative Writing, I think having so many writers this early in the process is a really bad idea. You really need to start with 1-2 people, 3 at the very most, to nail down the big picture of what the story is about, and then you can bring more writers in once the broad strokes have been locked down and you have actual scenes/sequences to write. That many writers that early is going to create a too-many-cooks situation. Committees make for terrible authors, no matter how talented the individuals may be, and much as I'd love to be involved in some way, honestly being the 7th member of that committee doesn't sound too compelling.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d4cf64585b7
deactivated-57d4cf64585b7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SexyToad: I would like to think I am fairly decent with story stuff, and I am hopeless when it comes to dreams like this. But the only reason I have not signed up is what is the story about? And is this a serious or funny game? What type of game is it? 2-D or 3-D? These things I must know.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Snail

@SexyToad: Maybe you should post specifics about this project to motivate people to become part of it. Here's a few things I personally think would help

• Name which users are involved in the project;
  • List each user's role(s) in the development of the project;
  • Indicate in which timezone each user resides.

With this information people will be able to know if the project is lacking participants in their area of expertise, and with whom, if anyone, they'd be able to work together in real-time (via a Skype call or something like that) if they were to enlist. Also, perhaps you should be candid about the experience and level of skill of each user involved, like saying how many years of coding experience each person has, and other information like that.

I think people are more likely to be interested in a project if it's a concrete, planned-out and organized endeavor. A way to convey this notion is by showing that the organizers are aware of where the project is at and what type of help is most needed. It also gives people a certainty that their contributions won't be redundant (i.e. if you don't list the amount of artists involved, people might think you already have 10, and maybe don't need anymore help in that department).

I think these are just some (probably) easily-obtainable details you could add to your first post that might really help you get people interested in this project.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By audiosnow
SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SexyToad
@Kevin_Cogneto It isn't as much as 6 people trying to write a story together but as much as each person comes up with a basic plot. We'll put the stories up to a vote later on build on it.
@BillyTheKid I think we're going to the RPG direction. The world will most likely have 2d characters with a 3d background.
Example: Paper mario
SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SexyToad
@Snail Thanks for the advice. This is the first time I'm organizing a project like this, so I'm wandering into unknown territory. I'll take your advice.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SexyToad: As far as the story goes what were you guys thinking? (As that is the area I am most interested in and experienced.)

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SexyToad
@BillyTheKid We have nothing so far! I know that doesn't sound appealing but that's where we are at. We're planning to have all the story people create a basic plot. We'll vote on the plots on Monday? Then build on it as a team.
sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#35  Edited By sjschmidt93

I'd love to but I'm a talentless teenager.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SexyToad: Ok! I am always up for optimism! I will fill out the form tommorow I am going to make a separate GMail just for Giant Bomb stuff and I do not want to do that tonight.

GO TEAM!

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Kevin_Cogneto

@SexyToad said:

@Kevin_Cogneto It isn't as much as 6 people trying to write a story together but as much as each person comes up with a basic plot. We'll put the stories up to a vote later on build on it.
@BillyTheKid I think we're going to the RPG direction. The world will most likely have 2d characters with a 3d background. Example: Paper mario

Ah, that's good then. In that case I'll throw my writer's hat in the ring, why not?

DrFlapjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By DrFlapjack

If we continue with our previous design, the base battle mechanics and world traversal are already laid out so it would be quite easy to get programmers working right away. I can post the WIP design doc if anyone is interested along with my proposed prototype art/animation style.

@SexyToad said:

@Snail Sadly only 12 members strong. We have 4 members willing to help on art, and 3 on code.

"Only 12" isn't too bad, it's much better to have a few dedicated people than a bunch that lose interest after a week.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SexyToad
@DrFlapjack

If we continue with our previous design, the base battle mechanics and world traversal are already laid out so it would be quite easy to get programmers working right away. I can post the WIP design doc if anyone is interested along with my proposed prototype art/animation style.

@SexyToad said:

"Only 12" isn't too bad, it's much better to have a few dedicated people than a bunch that lose interest after a week.

I liked our battle idea from last time so we would most likely use that again, to save some time. We didn't get far into the story last time, so that can be redone. We may have to adjust some things since your previous idea involved upgrading watch pieces. But I think we can get it to work. Are you going to be "re-joining" the design team?
wheresdiderot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By wheresdiderot

I signed up. I'm a fairly experienced programmer and a hobby game designer. This is my new account for GB, older one is SparkEngineer.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#41  Edited By DarthOrange

I would love to help but I am a horrible writer and don't know anything about computers, I struggled to get my Wii U online. Is there anything else I can help with? I can make cookies!

DrFlapjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By DrFlapjack

@wheresdiderot: Excellent! Good to have you.

@SexyToad: I submitted my form thing. I'll get the design doc posted tomorrow and then we can post a quick description of our current direction/progress in the op.

@DarthOrange: I really like cake-cookies if you can make those.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#43  Edited By DarthOrange
@DrFlapjack:  

Ah shit I lied, I can't bake either :( 

I can buy cookies though. :D
lapkopdung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By lapkopdung
DrFlapjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By DrFlapjack

Here are the prototype 2d characters I was working on. This is not what we have to do this time. We were going for a 2d character in a 3d world because most of our artists were 3d, but rigging 3d characters can be a pain. This is a quick test of animating/rigging a 2d character in Maya-

This is a test with a rig that is a bit more complex and involves a "flipbook" style animation of switching the texture for the hands over one frame. This is for more complicated parts of a character (like the hand) so we don't have to animate the fingers individually, but instead have key poses that we switch between.

I'm working on a design doc summary to get people caught up, which I will post later today.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By SexyToad

I started a Google Drive. Only some of the members are in I think.... If you didnt get an email, please tell me.

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Kevin_Cogneto

@SexyToad: I got mine, looks good. Also I added myself to the design team if that's alright, the doc said we were looking to fill that team out a little more. I'm primarily looking to contribute as a writer, but I feel like gameplay and the story need to inform each other, so I might as well be on both teams.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By SexyToad
@Kevin_Cogneto I'll add ya to the PM
Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#49  Edited By Tireyo

I'm more of a conceptual thinker, poor drawer, lousy composer and wouldn't be able to help. I can tell you what a game should have if it's to my liking, other than that I'm useless.

In other words, I just only have ideas that I cannot implement. =-/

Don't add me.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By SexyToad

To the Team: I've invited everyone to the Google Drive I made. You can start adding stuff in there.