Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By DrFlapjack

@DarthOrange said:

@DrFlapjack: Ah shit I lied, I can't bake either :(

Haha, hmmm I think I see a pattern. You can be our Peter Molyneux!

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Unfortunately most of my creativity is being focused on my own projects, otherwise I'd totally help out.

A word of advice though. Set a limit for how many people you want to work with. Too many people equals a clusterfuck of different opinions and from what I hear, that is why last year's failed.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By TrafalgarLaw

Toad, put me back in Story.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

#54  Edited By fobwashed

@mandude said:

I think this might be another futile endeavour for as long as we don't rectify what made it die the last time.

People can't realistically commit to specific departments or the project as a whole until some of the finer details have been worked out. Until that point you run the risk of over-saturating the project with people who only have a mild interest, which in turn dilutes the commitment coming from people who genuinely want to create something.

Just keep in mind that in this environment, asset creators are more valuable to you than designers, so if you're going for a similar design-by-committee system like the last project had, I would recommend making it entirely inclusive of the people who will actually be making the various parts of the game.

I agree. Unless there is a Lead in every category that has final say and the power to push things forward, this isn't looking very promising. Before anything gets coded or drawn, there needs to be direction. Without a solid design doc that at least solidifies what the game is and where it's going to be headed (and ideally at least one fully fleshed out level), everyone else is just spinning their wheels creating random ass assets. I'd recommend culling the "designer" position down to just two or three people tops to discuss and iron out what to do. Go ahead and have them take ideas from the community but limit the designers down to as few as possible just to get the ball rolling.

Here's what I recommend. Take down names now for people who are interested in contributing, that's cool, but first gather the designers and really focus on getting what exactly the game is going to be. I mean down to as small a detail as you can manage because otherwise, the programmers won't know what to do when they get to any part that isn't written out for them.

An easy example is say

Player can jump and double jump.

What is the peak jump amount? Is there vertical slowdown as the player reaches the peak? Can the player stop upwards movement at any time or is it full jump every time? Can the player change direction once leaving the ground? Can the player only double jump if they're still moving upwards? If not, how far can they fall before double jump is unavailable? All same options for double jump as regular jump. Can a double jump be started if the player didn't manually start the initial jump? (fall off ledge) How soon after landing can the player jump again? Will ground movement be effected by landing from a jump? etc.

Every one of these things that aren't worked out before hand will cause delays and most likely will be determined by whoever is programming. If this information isn't communicated back to the team, it'll prolly cause confusion later. Hell, working alone, I sometimes lose track of how something works which causes me to look back through hundreds of lines of code to find out why something is doing something instead of something else -_-;;

Working with a very small team of people, you may be able to wing it but I feel like the way this project will go, it needs to be written down for everyone.

Actually, fuck it. Just use the awesome images SuperNormalStep made and write out a dating sim =D

Whatever happens, I'm looking forward to what you guys put together. GB community rocks.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#55  Edited By Tireyo

@Fobwashed: You really seem to know what you're doing.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By fobwashed

@tireyo643 I really don't =]

TheTravis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By TheTravis

I submitted my form as a musician, assuming you still need any more. I've made a bunch of music for other stuff (short films, documentaries, stand-alone music) before but never worked on a video game. It should be fun.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By SexyToad
@TheTravis Yea, we'll gladly take any help in the music department. Welcome!
SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By SexyToad

I'm closing the Story department. We will not take any new members in that department. (Unless you can convince me otherwise)

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#60  Edited By Kerned

I'm a graphic designer in my 9-5 (and have a BFA in graphic design from the University of Michigan). I have extremely strong typography and layout skills, and I'm a pretty good (though inexperienced) UI designer. I'm not sure how well my skill set will translate to this project, but I'm going to sign myself up as an artist. It sounds like it could be an interesting and productive experience.

dalin88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By dalin88

@9cupsoftea said:

Wouldn't it be easier for you guys to do this in one of the programs already out there? Stuff like AGS, Game maker, rpg maker, unity?

ITS TRUE.

It's hard to do so since the game had been picked out. But I believe if you have a strong desire.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By SexyToad
@dalin88

@9cupsoftea said:

Wouldn't it be easier for you guys to do this in one of the programs already out there? Stuff like AGS, Game maker, rpg maker, unity?

ITS TRUE.

It's hard to do so since the game had been picked out. But I believe if you have a strong desire.

The coders will most likely go with Unity.
DrFlapjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By DrFlapjack

@Fobwashed: I appreciate your input! Luckily we have a pretty big head start since we are picking up the design from where we left off before.

@Kerned: Good to have you!

@TheTravis: Welcome aboard, we plan to have music play a big role in gameplay so the more musicians the better.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#64  Edited By StarvingGamer

I put my name down for mechanics and music, although I may be more helpful for the former rather than the latter as a majority of my compositions are choral in nature.

Wikitoups

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Wikitoups

I put myself down for designer and qa tester!

ShadowVirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#66  Edited By ShadowVirus

There's not much I can really bring to the table for creating games but if you want I could make you a sort of promotional website for the game, I don't know know if you want one or need one but just putting the idea out there.

Miketakon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#67  Edited By Miketakon

If you really need an extra writer I'm in. I'd love to help in some way! Maybe do some PR or something lol

Meepasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Meepasaurus

@DrFlapjack: I'm currently working on a personal project to teach myself Unity, but I'm still willing to help out if you need another animator!

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#69  Edited By Tireyo

I've signed up as visionary contributor and special thanks.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By SexyToad

@ShadowVirus said:

There's not much I can really bring to the table for creating games but if you want I could make you a sort of promotional website for the game, I don't know know if you want one or need one but just putting the idea out there.

That might be useful. I'll take your name down for later.

@Miketakon said:

If you really need an extra writer I'm in. I'd love to help in some way! Maybe do some PR or something lol

The Story Team is a bit full :/. Convince me otherwise!

@Meepasaurus said:

@DrFlapjack: I'm currently working on a personal project to teach myself Unity, but I'm still willing to help out if you need another animator!

Welcome to the team!

@Tireyo643 said:

I've signed up as visionary contributor and special thanks.

Sure!

DrFlapjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By DrFlapjack

I've posted an overview of the design doc to quickly get people caught up so they don't have to read the whole design doc right away. If you want to link to it in the OP it might help new members.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By SexyToad

@DrFlapjack: I added it and closed off sign ups for the Design Team.

DrFlapjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By DrFlapjack

@Meepasaurus: Always! We're a bit away from that phase, but we'll be sure to let you know when we're ready.

Immortal_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Immortal_Guy

Is there room for another musician? I was down as a musician in the last "make a game" project, and I'm still as enthusiastic about the idea.

There's been a lot of very good analysis of what went wrong with the last one on this thread - to throw in my own little (self centred) point, it was difficult to see what progress was being made in the other departments without trawling through the alt-forums for ages. For example, I found it pretty hard to find the most recent concept art and get a handle on the most recent story drafts and design plans - especially since they were all spread between the GB forum, the various subsections of the alt-forums and the google drive (and a load of departmental PM threads that outsiders weren't privy to). Perhaps some method of producing regular summaries of one department's work for the others would be good, just to make it easier to see where things are at?

And on that note, just to clarify, how much of the old systems are we still using? Like, are the old alt forums and google drive going to become active again, or are things being totally re-organised?

And finally, - if you still have the old list of usernames and haven't already done so, you should message the people on the old team to let them know that this is happening again, and see if anyone's still interested. I just happened to see you posting something about the community game project on a totally unconnected thread the other day, which is what made me think to check the old project thread again. I'm sure this new drive will slip under the radar for a lot of the old team.

DrFlapjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By DrFlapjack

@Immortal_Guy: We could always use more musicians and that's a great point with organization! We will look into having either a daily or weekly update in an easy to access place. We are looking into getting back into our old forums, but we are starting fresh with a new drive which will give you access to. We are getting some things nailed down (like organization) before we really recruit members which aren't that involved in pre-production so when they do get involved they will have something to work on right away instead of sitting around for weeks and lose interest.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By SexyToad
@Immortal_Guy Welcome to to the team! I've have pm my original departments I was a part of. (Story and design) We have a new google drive and are reusing the IRC channel. I've message @Fattony about the alt. forums. No reply yet. And finally I'll add you to the drive.
fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By fobwashed

Just droppin by to drop off a helpful link.

Site has a lot of bad practices laid out in game development that covers a lot of different areas and should be immediately helpful. Anyhow, I'd love to see some form of progress reports and/or screens/vids of where ya'll are at if possible. At the very least, it'd keep the community more invested =)

DrFlapjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By DrFlapjack

@Fobwashed: Thanks dude! I'll check out that link asap. We are currently thinking of ways to surface updates for the community. Right now there's a poll where anyone can vote for a story direction we will take.

Speaking of which, you should update the OP with that link just in case and perhaps mention the deadline.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By mandude

@SexyToad said:

@Immortal_Guy Welcome to to the team! I've have pm my original departments I was a part of. (Story and design) We have a new google drive and are reusing the IRC channel. I've message @Fattony about the alt. forums. No reply yet. And finally I'll add you to the drive.

I mentioned this in the PM, but I guess it would make more sense to mention it here where everyone can see.

As regards a developer forum, I think it would be better to start from scratch, as it means we wont have to tread on any vestige, and it wouldn't make sense to have FatTony as the admin for a project he's not working on.

I can set up a developer forum if we decide to use one, and rather than having a lengthy registration approval process (which I think turned people away last time), I think it would be better for everyone, if we have open registration, as anyone who's not on the team probably wont bother joining anyway. If we go this route, I can look into getting a chat module for the forum, which would mean we can keep logs of our meetings for anyone who misses them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad
deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Before you guys make a game, you should see what the community wants. I cast my vote for dating sim/something sort of similar to Persona 4.

DrFlapjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By DrFlapjack

@Castermhief117: We actually do have a poll of stories the community can vote on here. The game mechanics are somewhat decided upon however and we're going with a RPG. Don't fear though, it won't be your traditional rpg!

felakuti4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By felakuti4life

Guys! Guys! I'm still down. Are we still using the same google drive? If not, I've gotta move my stuff off the old drive and onto the new one. Anyways, super pumped that we're getting back on track.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By SexyToad
@felakuti4life We have a new drive. I'll share that you, add you to the pms, an you should be set to go! Welcome to the Team!
DrFlapjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By DrFlapjack

@felakuti4life: Good to have you back!

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By SexyToad

Hey we're still making the game! We are a little short on active coders at the moment. So I'm bumping this thread to hopefully get some more members.