Lets talk about debt !

DriveupLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By DriveupLife

I've made a debt thread before, but I thought I'd reintroduce the topic since some stuff has changed in my life. I recently got out of college and I've been settling my finances here at my new job and my new apartment. I've looked at all of my loans and I've tabulated the interest and I've come up with that I only owe a measley....

$155,000.00! 

Yes, that's 155 G's. A very large price to pay for an undergraduate education at a pricey private school. My monthly payment is $976.81 and that's on a 15 year repayment plan. Whoo, I've got a lot of work to do!

Now, I know this is a very touchy subject, but I feel that the best way to tackle any kind of debt, student loans, credit cards, bank loans etc. is to be open about it and simply know where you are, and how you're going to get ahead. Is anyone else working on paying off some debt from school, or retail debt? You can at least feel better about your debt after reading my post in this topic, which in a way is a benefit of airing out this sort of thing as well.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Spoonman671

I came out of school with about $10K in loans to pay back, which I did in less than a year.  I'd think that was pretty good if I were actually putting my degree to any kind of use.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Jimbo

Fuuuuck that. Unless you have a totally rad job because of it, in which case you're winning and don't worry about it.

DriveupLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DriveupLife

Good point guy from Full Throttle! I do make 50k/yr fresh out of school, so its a good start to pay off a lot of debt, but with interest, it puts you back a good bit.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PeasantAbuse

If you don't mind sharing, what kind of job did you get?

Avatar image for green_incarnate
Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Green_Incarnate

Holy fuck.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By beforet

And this is why I'm going to state school.

Surkov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Surkov

I just took out my first student loan. I'm junior and I'm transfering to a four year school in the fall. 

DriveupLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DriveupLife
@PeasantAbuse
I'm a shipping manager for Amazon.com in one of their fulfillment centers.
Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Chop

I've never been in debt before because I do my best to avoid contracts and the like. I kinda hate how the world punishes me for that though; never been in debt but still don't have much credit.  

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#11  Edited By citizenkane

@Beforet said:

DriveupLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DriveupLife
@Chop
I would suggest getting a credit card and not using it. You have to have a credit history, because unless you're going to pay for your first home and car in cash (which some people do, and is impressive), then you'll need to borrow.
StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By StaticFalconar
@DriveupLife: If somebody offered you an option to take a 5 year contract where they will basically work you like a dog (doing whatever job you are doing now), relocate you as they please (all on their own dime of course); But you only be living and eating on company property, and at the end of 5 years, they will wipe out all your student debts. All during that time, you get paid, say 30k a year (not superbad, considering for those 5 years you ain't paying for rent or nothing). Would you?
Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Chop
@DriveupLife:  Yeah, what I finally did was go off my prepaid cell phone and onto a monthly plan. It's not gonna make a dramatic difference but hopefully paying at least one bill every month will start to help. 
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By crusader8463

I owe Canada about $25k in student loans, Dell 5k for my shitty PC, and my Visa is currently sitting at $980. It would be nothing to pay it all off and be done with it if I could just find a job, but I have been unemployed for about 6 years now so I haven't been able to pay a dime.

oysteinBrenne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By oysteinBrenne

I came out of  school with 0 in debt  education is free in Norway they also gave me free cab to school every day (about 30 min trip) and i currently have a shitty job at a convenience store i make 4 5 bucks a hour 

DriveupLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DriveupLife
@StaticFalconar:  
I don't think so. I'm not all that bad off. I can meet the 1k/month with some to spare to live on, while renting with no room mates. Here are a few ways this is possible.
1. low cost of living in KY
2. I live 1 mile from work.
3. my rent is 650 for a 2/2.
Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By Jadeskye

Declare bunkruptcy.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By iam3green

i don't have any debt. i was lucky to have my parents pay for my stuff- new car, car insurance. i saved up money from past jobs.

cnlmullen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By cnlmullen
ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By ajamafalous

I'm somewhere between 20-50K and I'm about halfway through school.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Vexxan

Only gone to the university for a year now so my debt ain't too bad yet. Though in the end it will be nowhere near the amount of money you've borrowed :x

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By emergency

I'm slowly building up debt. When I finish university it'll probably come to like £25k.

Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Fajita_Jim

I worked my way through college, and upon graduation (this was the 90's, mind you) I only owed like $65K. I got offered a job where they would match me dollar-for-dollar whatever I put toward paying off my student loan and had it paid off in a couple of years. I haven't been in debt since; both houses I've bought have been cash for the full amount (never owned two houses at once, don't get that idea). 

Living debt-free is a bit more inconvenient because if I don't have the cash to spare I simply can't get something. However, I can up and leave any time I want, no mortgage or other debts to tie me down, and that's the most free feeling in the world.

But yeah, some employers will help you pay off your student loan, just ask.

Wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25  Edited By Wrighteous86

Debt-free is the way to be. Scholarships and financial aid made me lucky. Don't have enough credit for a credit card though, but in a few months, after all the gas bills and car payments I've been making, I should be good to go, which is nice, since I plan on visiting the UK in the near future.

MikeinSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 177

#26  Edited By MikeinSC
@DriveupLife said:
I've made a debt thread before, but I thought I'd reintroduce the topic since some stuff has changed in my life. I recently got out of college and I've been settling my finances here at my new job and my new apartment. I've looked at all of my loans and I've tabulated the interest and I've come up with that I only owe a measley....  $155,000.00!   Yes, that's 155 G's. A very large price to pay for an undergraduate education at a pricey private school. My monthly payment is $976.81 and that's on a 15 year repayment plan. Whoo, I've got a lot of work to do!  Now, I know this is a very touchy subject, but I feel that the best way to tackle any kind of debt, student loans, credit cards, bank loans etc. is to be open about it and simply know where you are, and how you're going to get ahead. Is anyone else working on paying off some debt from school, or retail debt? You can at least feel better about your debt after reading my post in this topic, which in a way is a benefit of airing out this sort of thing as well.
Student loans, yes? Nice that it is the only kind of debt that cannot be removed. College is brutally overpriced for what you get as is. Best to go to a tech school and learn a trade that you can actually make a living off of and not have outsourced quickly.
Bobdaman18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Bobdaman18

I've only ever had school debt. I try not to put anything on a credit card that i don't have the money for already and i've always driven crappy cars so i didn't have to pay more with interest and everything. I'm not sure of the specifics but i believe i took out about $40k in loans to pay for my 4 (and a half) years of  state college. I paid around 15k of that by the time i graduated and my parents paid the rest. My options are to either pay my parents back or they will forgive the debt if i pay for a graduate degree. So either way i'm gonna have to shell out another 25k before im in the clear. The job i got pays 37k but i'll be making low to mid 50's in 2 years. The amount of debt the OP took on is terrifying but i bet over the next 20 years he has at least double the net worth that i do. I just could never do it because of the fear i'd have of never being able to pay it back.

m0rdr3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By m0rdr3d

I've got a little over a year left to go and I'm hoping I'll owe less than 40k at that point.  It's like an anvil hanging over my head.  If the world economy doesn't crap its last before I graduate, I plan to live like a pauper and pay it off within 2 yrs.  It's like an anvil hanging over my head.
Avatar image for thecreamfilling
TheCreamFilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TheCreamFilling

Fuck school, too expensive. I just went for a decent blue collar job, my body will be a withered husk by the time I'm 30, but at least I'll have a plethora of cash. 

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By phish09

I've got about 8-10K in credit card debt, but it's more than manageable.  What scares the fuck out of me though is my 200K mortgage.  It's fine right now with interest rates being at a nearly historical all time low, but if those rates double, that could mean trouble.  That's why I'm just trying to pay it down as fast as I can...I'll worry about saving later.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

There's one, and I literally mean one benefit to going to a commuter school it's that it's incredibly cheap since the expenses of room and board are ruled out entirely. I'll come out memory-free but also mostly debt-free while my friends rack up debt knowing that they're actually experiencing college/the best years of their lives. Fuck commuter schools.

kelbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By kelbear

240K debt at a low fixed interest, and the mortgage payments are just 1400 a month for our two-income household.  We use www.mint.com to track budget trends, it only takes 1 of our salaries to cover all of our spending, but we be doing much saving. We hope to have my wife stop working for 2 years to have a baby, then re-enter the workforce. Our nightmare scenario is that she might not be able to re-enter after 2 years.

My credit is pristine because I pay everything with a credit card, and have auto-payment setup from my bank account. Long detailed credit history, 0 missed payments. I bought my car at 0% for 3 years and just paid it off before the 3 years were up. Again, more credit history, and not a nickel of interest paid on that car purchase. 

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#33  Edited By Tireyo

It sure is expensive to live through life.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By YoThatLimp

21K - Bought a car this year, which works for me.

Man, I am glad I decided to enter the work force and hold off on school. I feel for all you poor bastards with huge school loans and a bum economy!

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#35  Edited By Giantstalker

The military pays for my education and I have guaranteed employment afterwards, going for a commission is the best decision I've ever made.

Also, not sure how much American troops get paid, but when I left for Afghanistan I was almost 20k in the hole. When I came back, I had over 60k in the bank.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#36  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I owe -$1,000,000. I don't care who pays me, feel free to pitch in. Much appreciated.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#38  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

@CitizenKane said:

@Beforet said:

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#39  Edited By Yanngc33

Go see Larry Crowne, that thing teaches you one or two things about debt while doing its best to keep a smile on your face, fucking strange movie

As for getting rid of that debt, get a second job?

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#40  Edited By korolev

Got about 55,000 dollars in student fees. I can pay it off in about three years with the job I have - if I save like hell.

Avatar image for lilburtonboy7489
lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By lilburtonboy7489

.....not to be rude...but how the fuck? How did you get that much debt? Not just from school I would imagine?

supercubedude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By supercubedude

@ThePhantomnaut said:

@CitizenKane said:

@Beforet said:

DriveupLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By DriveupLife
@lilburtonboy7489
The University of Miami's tuition is rising every year, I paid about 32,000 for two years and 33,000 for two years I believe, that's 130,000 in tuition. I also payed about 2500 a year for room and board. I have about 10,000 in interest on that 130,000 over four years. That makes 150,000. These numbers are not exact, the room and board could have been more, and the tuition could have been more. That makes 155,000. I have no credit card debt and no personal bank loans.

I never even got to study abroad and I really wanted to :(
iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By iDarktread

I owe my mom like $90.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Example1013

Debt allows the world economy to continue functioning.