Let's talk about the new Cloverfield movie

Acura_Max

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Acura_Max

There were rumors swirling around that the new Cloverfield movie was going to debut on Neflix. It turns out those rumors were accurate becauseyou can watch the whole movie on Netflix right after the Super Bowl. And since it's released so suddenly, I'll have to watch it first before I can give some thought on it.

Plot: In the near future, a group of international astronauts on a space station are working to solve a massive energy crisis on Earth. The experimental technology aboard the station has an unexpected result, leaving the team isolated and fighting for their survival.

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By shiftygism

Smart move not putting this in theaters, bad move trying to directly connect it to the first Cloverfield.

Didn't care for it, gonna pretend it doesn't exist from here on out.

Jeremy808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jeremy808

My thoughts: I really liked it. It had some rad body horror stuff. I didn't care for the first Cloverfield. Found footage style films are cool and all but I felt like it was a gimmick that that movie leaned on too much and so was the arg surrounding it, and the whole series so far actually, I largely don't pay attention to that aspect of it. I really liked Cloverfield Lane though. I think it's kind of neat what they've done with these three Cloverfield movies. Like, they could have just made a Cloverfield 2, and Cloverfield 3, and had those be found footage style monster movies as well. And i'm sure people would have liked them and they would have made money. But instead they did something, which I think is far more interesting, and kind of turned these movies into sort of this weird anthology type series of movies where each movie is different than the last, in a different genre, from found footage (Cloverfield) to psychological horror (Cloverfield Lane) to sci-fi horror (Cloverfield Paradox) and they're all loosely connected in the same fictional universe. That's kind of cool.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ripelivejam

First one I have a surprising fondness for. It was actually a pretty tense and fun ride, though it most likely wouldn't hold up on a 2nd viewing. The mystery around it sure did help (remenber everyone thinking it would tie into LOST?). 10 Cloverfield Lane I haven't seen yet but I hear mostly good things. Think I read how it ended but don't recall the specifics. I like the idea of it being a weird anthology movie series.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

First one I have a surprising fondness for. It was actually a pretty tense and fun ride, though it most likely wouldn't hold up on a 2nd viewing. The mystery around it sure did help (remenber everyone thinking it would tie into LOST?). 10 Cloverfield Lane I haven't seen yet but I hear mostly good things. Think I read how it ended but don't recall the specifics. I like the idea of it being a weird anthology movie series.

Cloverfield Lane was pretty good, it has John Goodman and Mary Elizabeth Winstead, it's a good mystery thriller with a tiny bit of monster thrown in at the end, just like Paradox. It seemed fine in Lane but really tacked on as an afterthought in Paradox. I think they should have stuck with just mentions without actually showing the monsters because that ending show in Paradox looked really bad. It would have been fine if if was just her pod crashing down and him telling them to tell her not to come down, then cut to credits.

It was a decent Sci-Fi movie though, overall quite enjoyed it.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By RonGalaxy

It was alright until they massively fucked up the last 1/3 of the movie. Also, that ending... Why? I could think of a dozen endings that would have been more appropriate.

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It very much reminded me of that recent sci-fi horror film "Life" with Jake Gyllenhaal, with a little Event Horizon sprinkled in.

I don't think it was particularly amazing in any way but I enjoyed it!

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#9 sgtsphynx  Moderator

I enjoyed it, it wasn't great but it wasn't terrible either. I actually didn't mind the way they tied in the first movie, but I also didn't really like the first Cloverfield movie due to the ending. Anyway, dystopic sci-fi is a genre I really enjoy, set that in space and you have a combination that I could potentially really enjoy. Like @fram, I got some Event Horizon vibes from this movie, and even though I can't watch that movie, that isn't a bad thing. Also, initially got a little bit of Alien vibes from it. That was specifically only during the lead up to the reveal of the lady in the power lines and didn't last beyond that scene.

In the end, I think it was worth watching, but I'm glad I didn't pay for it beyond my Netflix subscription.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By BisonHero

Is that Cloverfield manga that came out at the time of the first movie still canon? I remember reading a summary of it, and it is fucking BANANAS how anime it is. It sounded so tonally inconsistent with the rest of the franchise. Like, sad anime boy gets to sorta control the monster (and wreck shit) because they share DNA, and later the boy manages to sorta banish the monster back to the ocean with his emotions, IIRC.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was fun to watch that group of actors (great cast) have to deal with a bunch of sci-fi/horror bullshit. I don't regret the hour and change I spent on it. But it was kind of a mess of moments a little too similar to its inspiration and seemed extremely weighed down whenever it tried to connect itself to the universe I guess they're making.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

On one hand, I wish "Cloverfield" had just remained the umbrella under which a bunch of creative and unrelated horror/sci-fi vignettes could be told and marketed. On the other, Paradox sort of explains why "Cloverfield" can remain the umbrella for a bunch of creative and (now only kind of) unrelated horror/sci-fi vignettes.

Let's hope they leave the monster behind and just let the stories be the stories now. Every attempt to connect Paradox to the original Cloverfield movie felt contrived and out of place.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By kcin

What a boilerplate piece of space station trash. Completely inconsequential and brings nothing new or even remotely weird to the genre. Feels like a hollow combination of Alien, Another Earth, The Europa Report, and, thematically, Coherence, yet fails to explore any of the things it draws from those movies in an interesting manner. The obviously tacked-on Cloverfield stuff brings the entire movie down and serves no purpose in the plot whatsoever. Just a completely bland failure.

echasketchers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I enjoyed it for what it was and thought there were some interesting character moments. Sure, the plot isn't anything that's gonna blow your hair back but it was well put together. Worth seeing once but I'll probably never rewatch it. I can see why anyone who cares more about the larger Cloverfield universe would be disappointed. The first one was enjoyable for me much in the same way this one was, but I'm not a superfan or anything and skipped 10 Cloverfield Lane.

Disclaimer: I'm a sucker for parallel universe stuff.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#15  Edited By Humanity

I didn't think it really captured the charm so to speak of the first two movies. 10 Cloverfield Lane was especially great. This was, as someone already mentioned, a pretty boilerplate space-goes-wrong movie with a ridiculous amount of plot holes and deus ex machina type nonsense going on to make the plot itself largely inconsequential. When the movie world has no laws governing it, and no reason for anything to be happening the way it is, then you lose any tension because literally anything can happen.

The ending was also laughably weak, like I get what they were going for but man could that have been done in a more subtle way.

If you're looking for one of those sci-fi flicks where things go wrong on a space station, then from recent years even the rather mediocre "LIFE" is better than this. If you're looking for a cool connection to the already rather loose Cloverfield "franchise" so to speak, then you really won't find anything worthwhile here either.

ragnar_mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I enjoyed it, but having pushed though some of the low rent scifi tripe on netflix, my bar for "good" scifi is lower than it used to be.

The thing that stands out to me is that when it really comes down to it, this movie could literally be set in any IP of similar setting to Cloverfield. There's only like 5 scenes that place it in that world and they could have easily reshot with pickups from 3 characters and post processed it to like Pacific Rim or whatever. The plot is generic enough to work that way and I almost feel like they shot 90% of this movie and then shopped it a round for places to set it. That's a bit mercenary, but hey, I liked it.

It's a movie filled with tropes that I am fond of, so I don't really fault it for treading good material, but it didn't challenge me like Altered Carbon just did and that's kind of what I want from Scifi.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By htr10

I have now enjoyed all 3 Cloverfield to varying degrees. I don’t think any one of them is an amazing movie or anything, but I like the world/worlds they have created. That said, it fills me with nerd rage that they finally delivered on one of the major Easter eggs from the 1st Cloverfield movie (the thing from space dropping into the ocean in the background), but that they did it with a different continuity (happens after the monster/monsters are already there versus before the attack in the 1st movie). I know, I know, parallel universes but boo.

Memu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Memu

This was really generic and predictable. Does not live up to Cloverfield name nor to Bad Robot's usual level of quality.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#19  Edited By liquiddragon

Unlike 300: Rise of an Empire, Sin City: A Dame to Kill For, and Anchorman 2, 10 Cloverfield Lane was a surprising good late sequel and probably the best in the series. The Cloverfield Paradox is more in line with the aforementioned sequels and will be forgotten quickly, even with its stellar cast. I don't think the original Cloverfield was great but it was effective and the marketing was one of the best.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Just finished it and thought it was pretty awful. There are maybe a couple interesting moments but it's mostly generic sci-fi and then that ending...good god. I'm convinced that JJ Abrams is going around to young sci-fi directors and saying "okay, I'll fund your movie but fuck you, it's Cloverfield now." Whatever that even means, which after watching three movies with the Cloverfield name slapped on it, I still can't figure out.