JMartNWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By JMartNWA

Mr. Blackistone,

(First portion not included as it was irrelevant to this discussion - basic introduction.)

Your comments concerning Bart Scott forced me to write just so I can clear a few things up for you, since I am not sure you fully understand what you were talking about.  My former life, between 2000-2009, was as a creative lead, play by play announcer, and on screen performer in professional wrestling across the southeast.  I worked for several different organizations, many nationally televised in syndication, and I feel I have the credentials to compose this quick letter.

When you referred to wrestling as "fake," you were correct in the main sense, but I believe you harbor erroneous misconceptions outside of your baseline statement.  What is "fake" about professional wrestling is the outcome.  We know when we send guys and girls out there who is going to leave that ring victorious.  Sometimes we know a good bit about the action to take place inside the ring, but not once have I known every single moment of a match before it was executed.  The participants figure out what they think will work and bring that to the audience.  This process usually demands incredible vocal communication for hours before the match and a very unique brainstorming session.  In the past, wrestling was often much more ad-lib, which is something I personally hoped it would return to, as the participants worked on the "feel" of the crowd and let the audience tell them what in-ring story would give them the most for their dollar and lead to the most success for that respective promotion.  So yes, the outcomes are predetermined, but that is truly where it ends.

Not once has someone fallen to a wrestling canvas and not felt it.  These athletes are not landing on clouds.  The statement that led me to this letter was the comment you made about "fake chairs."  This concept is one hundred percent wrong.  Fake chairs do not exist.  Every chair shot you've seen is from a real chair, and it sincerely hurts.  I have personally taken several performers to medical centers or hospitals after chair shots that went wrong and could have caused death from blood loss.  Even at the highest level, you can find plenty of footage of WWE performers being put in mortal danger from falling on a chair the wrong way or having the chair back connect with the back of their forehead.  While there is a right way to hit someone with a chair and a wrong way, it ALWAYS hurts.  Those in the industry hate when onlookers assume or state things like "fake chair" and state it as fact.  If you need more proof of the existence of real chairs, watch how often a chair shot comes after the wrestler asks the person sitting in it to stand up.  Chair shots are completely and totally real.  It undermines the intense pain that often accompanies these people for the rest of their lives to make a claim that would lead those that treat it factually to assume these shots are safe, do not hurt, or deserve an eye roll.

It's simply something to think about and hopefully something you may not have known.  Remember, wrestling is fake in terms of who wins and who loses, but except for the most over the top, obviously scripted segments of special effects or the like, everything the fans see is absolutely real.  The sheer level of concussions I have witnessed from chair shots is staggering.  Think about Chris Nowinski, the hero of the concussion world, who has done tremendous work and has been one of the catalysts of the new NFL and NHL policies and thought-processes.  He performed for the WWF(E) and that work, along with his college football, were what drove him towards his cause.  Nowinski is terrified for the health and future well-being of professional wrestlers, and deservedly so.

Jason Martin
Western Kentucky University
School of Journalism and Broadcasting

JMartNWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By JMartNWA

Mr. Blackistone,

(First portion not included as it was irrelevant to this discussion - basic introduction.)

Your comments concerning Bart Scott forced me to write just so I can clear a few things up for you, since I am not sure you fully understand what you were talking about.  My former life, between 2000-2009, was as a creative lead, play by play announcer, and on screen performer in professional wrestling across the southeast.  I worked for several different organizations, many nationally televised in syndication, and I feel I have the credentials to compose this quick letter.

When you referred to wrestling as "fake," you were correct in the main sense, but I believe you harbor erroneous misconceptions outside of your baseline statement.  What is "fake" about professional wrestling is the outcome.  We know when we send guys and girls out there who is going to leave that ring victorious.  Sometimes we know a good bit about the action to take place inside the ring, but not once have I known every single moment of a match before it was executed.  The participants figure out what they think will work and bring that to the audience.  This process usually demands incredible vocal communication for hours before the match and a very unique brainstorming session.  In the past, wrestling was often much more ad-lib, which is something I personally hoped it would return to, as the participants worked on the "feel" of the crowd and let the audience tell them what in-ring story would give them the most for their dollar and lead to the most success for that respective promotion.  So yes, the outcomes are predetermined, but that is truly where it ends.

Not once has someone fallen to a wrestling canvas and not felt it.  These athletes are not landing on clouds.  The statement that led me to this letter was the comment you made about "fake chairs."  This concept is one hundred percent wrong.  Fake chairs do not exist.  Every chair shot you've seen is from a real chair, and it sincerely hurts.  I have personally taken several performers to medical centers or hospitals after chair shots that went wrong and could have caused death from blood loss.  Even at the highest level, you can find plenty of footage of WWE performers being put in mortal danger from falling on a chair the wrong way or having the chair back connect with the back of their forehead.  While there is a right way to hit someone with a chair and a wrong way, it ALWAYS hurts.  Those in the industry hate when onlookers assume or state things like "fake chair" and state it as fact.  If you need more proof of the existence of real chairs, watch how often a chair shot comes after the wrestler asks the person sitting in it to stand up.  Chair shots are completely and totally real.  It undermines the intense pain that often accompanies these people for the rest of their lives to make a claim that would lead those that treat it factually to assume these shots are safe, do not hurt, or deserve an eye roll.

It's simply something to think about and hopefully something you may not have known.  Remember, wrestling is fake in terms of who wins and who loses, but except for the most over the top, obviously scripted segments of special effects or the like, everything the fans see is absolutely real.  The sheer level of concussions I have witnessed from chair shots is staggering.  Think about Chris Nowinski, the hero of the concussion world, who has done tremendous work and has been one of the catalysts of the new NFL and NHL policies and thought-processes.  He performed for the WWF(E) and that work, along with his college football, were what drove him towards his cause.  Nowinski is terrified for the health and future well-being of professional wrestlers, and deservedly so.

Jason Martin
Western Kentucky University
School of Journalism and Broadcasting

MikeinSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 177

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By MikeinSC

As a recommendation, trying to argue about any semblance of legitimacy in pro wrestling is an exceedingly poor strategy

Avatar image for deactivated-59694a80bc6d9
deactivated-59694a80bc6d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

If this were 4chan;

Inb4 "It's still real to me dammit".

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Spoonman671

You care way too much about this.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By penguindust

So what did he say?  That professional wrestling was fake?  You admit to that yourself.  The outcome, which in sports is what matters, is what most people think about when they describe it as fake.  Sure, they're great athletes, but if you know who's going to win already it's not a sport, it's a performance.  If you knew who was going to win the NCAA basketball tournament before game one, then while it might be great theater, it wouldn't be a competitive sport. 

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By monetarydread
@MikeinSC: 
Really? You have to go there? Pro Wrestling is not a sport, that much I can agree upon. Yet pro wrestling is just as much an athletic endeavor as anything else out there. Imagine jumping up and falling on the floor, picking up two hundred and fifty pound men then dropping them in a controlled manner, or somersaulting your two hundred and fifty pounds from five feet up only to land on your back. Now imagine having to do that for thirty minutes,  three hundred days plus a year while keeping yourself in peak physical condition to minimize injury. Combined with everything else the OP mentioned, and you see why I have to disagree with your statement.
monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By monetarydread
@PenguinDust: 
Yet they don't claim its a sport. They claim its entertainment, nothing more.
Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8  Edited By Junkerman

He's not arguing about whether or not its real or not.  He's arguing that the wrestlers put a lot of time, sweat, effort and blooshed into their craft and simply writing it off as fake undermines what they do.  In essence, it isnt respectful.

JMartNWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JMartNWA

Well said Whatif... I have no idea what your BS comment accomplishes for you except making you out to be a scumbag to the GB readers who might happen on my blog.  I thought I would clarify what Mr. Blackistone said, though a few of you understood my point to some extent.  Also, let me update the situation quickly as he sent me a very professional response today conceding my point and speaking of his own twenty year tenure reporting in Dallas and dealing with the Von Erichs and WCCW among others.   He linked me to an article he wrote for Politico a few years ago about the wrestling business and hoped I would enjoy it.

What Kevin Blackistone said was in reference to New York Jets linebacker Bart Scott, who during the NFL lockout, is moonlighting and taking side work on TNA Wrestling.  He was in a list of NFL stars doing other work (such as Chad Johnson trying out for MLS, etc) and a question was asked as to who was in the most danger of injury or getting hurt.  Blackistone said that Scott was one hundred percent safe because the "fake chairs" that are used in Professional Wrestling don't hurt and that there is basically zero true danger in the business.  Tony Kornheiser, an admitted wrestling fan in the 80s, said "They have fake chairs?  I didn't know that."  That undermined the many injuries I have personally witnessed over the years from real chairs... as fake chairs do not and have never existed... and it was flat out a false statement remaining unchallenged in front of a multi million person audience.  The comment made in reply to my letter that used, "It's disrespectful" is absolutely right.  I have basically retired from the wrestling business, moving back to school and going for my broadcasting degree, something I postponed as a junior for that previous career, but the statement was disrespectful to the industry because of how uninformed it truly was.  

I know just about everybody in the business, some better than others, but to illustrate on television that painful shots from a steel chair really don't hurt, will cause a potential audience to disregard those shots in the future.  Mentally, they will harbor an attitude towards the danger and the realism that will not just undermine the performers and staff, but will propagate a false reality that basically makes all that pain both past and present worthless in the annals of time to those who care.  Also, when someone with credibility, who you greatly respect or admire, makes a comment about something you have vast experience as well as still a lot of love for, someone needed to inform the speaker of his mistake.  Hopefully my five minutes writing will help out a great deal of my friends and former coworkers when Blackistone is in a position to comment again.  It's a similar argument to someone taking a shot at video games (to be relative to the site) and claiming they aren't art (Roger Ebert for example) or that there are no games that aren't poor influences or don't feature guns prominently.  It's not only wrong, it's also destructive to something that at one time at least was of the utmost importance to you.

So in that regard, yes, I do care about it quite a bit.  But Kevin wrote and thanked me for taking the time to let him know that something he always believed... was wrong.  It was classy, friendly, and proved that my time was not wasted in sending the initial letter. 

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I'm sure he'll read your letter, have a good laugh, and use it to wipe himself afterward.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By EvilTwin

This is like the third thread in a row I've clicked on and left completely baffled.  What is up with Giant Bomb today?

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By penguindust

Thanks for clearing up the argument.  I thought he just said it was fake as in who wins and such.  I read what you said about the chair in your original post but didn't understand the context.  Now, I can see what the fuss was about.   

Oh, and video games are not art but they have artistic elements, however that's an argument for another post...no, wait. On second thought, let's not have that discussion again. ;-)

cancerdancer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By cancerdancer

Butthurt much?

MikeinSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MikeinSC
@MonetaryDread said:
" @MikeinSC:  Really? You have to go there? Pro Wrestling is not a sport, that much I can agree upon. Yet pro wrestling is just as much an athletic endeavor as anything else out there. Imagine jumping up and falling on the floor, picking up two hundred and fifty pound men then dropping them in a controlled manner, or somersaulting your two hundred and fifty pounds from five feet up only to land on your back. Now imagine having to do that for thirty minutes,  three hundred days plus a year while keeping yourself in peak physical condition to minimize injury. Combined with everything else the OP mentioned, and you see why I have to disagree with your statement. "
MD, wrestlers will admit it's fake. Don't know why you have such difficulty doing the same. 

Heck, read Wrestling Observer/Figure Four Weekly. Bryan Alvarez of FFD will openly discuss that it's not real and anybody who gets offended by that is ridiculous.
MikeinSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MikeinSC
@JMartNWA said:
" Well said Whatif... I have no idea what your BS comment accomplishes for you except making you out to be a scumbag to the GB readers who might happen on my blog.  I thought I would clarify what Mr. Blackistone said, though a few of you understood my point to some extent.  Also, let me update the situation quickly as he sent me a very professional response today conceding my point and speaking of his own twenty year tenure reporting in Dallas and dealing with the Von Erichs and WCCW among others.   He linked me to an article he wrote for Politico a few years ago about the wrestling business and hoped I would enjoy it. What Kevin Blackistone said was in reference to New York Jets linebacker Bart Scott, who during the NFL lockout, is moonlighting and taking side work on TNA Wrestling.  He was in a list of NFL stars doing other work (such as Chad Johnson trying out for MLS, etc) and a question was asked as to who was in the most danger of injury or getting hurt.  Blackistone said that Scott was one hundred percent safe because the "fake chairs" that are used in Professional Wrestling don't hurt and that there is basically zero true danger in the business.  Tony Kornheiser, an admitted wrestling fan in the 80s, said "They have fake chairs?  I didn't know that."  That undermined the many injuries I have personally witnessed over the years from real chairs... as fake chairs do not and have never existed... and it was flat out a false statement remaining unchallenged in front of a multi million person audience.  The comment made in reply to my letter that used, "It's disrespectful" is absolutely right.  I have basically retired from the wrestling business, moving back to school and going for my broadcasting degree, something I postponed as a junior for that previous career, but the statement was disrespectful to the industry because of how uninformed it truly was.    I know just about everybody in the business, some better than others, but to illustrate on television that painful shots from a steel chair really don't hurt, will cause a potential audience to disregard those shots in the future.  Mentally, they will harbor an attitude towards the danger and the realism that will not just undermine the performers and staff, but will propagate a false reality that basically makes all that pain both past and present worthless in the annals of time to those who care.  Also, when someone with credibility, who you greatly respect or admire, makes a comment about something you have vast experience as well as still a lot of love for, someone needed to inform the speaker of his mistake.  Hopefully my five minutes writing will help out a great deal of my friends and former coworkers when Blackistone is in a position to comment again.  It's a similar argument to someone taking a shot at video games (to be relative to the site) and claiming they aren't art (Roger Ebert for example) or that there are no games that aren't poor influences or don't feature guns prominently.  It's not only wrong, it's also destructive to something that at one time at least was of the utmost importance to you.  So in that regard, yes, I do care about it quite a bit.  But Kevin wrote and thanked me for taking the time to let him know that something he always believed... was wrong.  It was classy, friendly, and proved that my time was not wasted in sending the initial letter.  "
Speaking as somebody who wrote for CBS Sportsline's wrestling section (closed it up in 2001, but oh well)...you're being a bit silly here. Them doing athletic feats does not make it real or legitimate. Are chairs real? Yes. Concussions are a major problem and the industry --- honestly, outside of the WWE --- and its lack of concern for them is a major problem.

But it's not disrespectful to refer to this as fake. It is. Plain and simple.
JMartNWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JMartNWA
@MikeinSC:  I have no problem with the business being labeled as fake, none at all, it was my career for basically a decade... but the statement made was false.  As fake as wrestling may be, other than the reality of pain and athleticism, when one of the few key portions of it that isn't fake... is called fake... that irked me a bit.  People need to know that these guys are putting their bodies through tremendous stress and pain in order to entertain the audience.  It's also not exactly accurate when trying to comment on an NFL player being in no danger whatsoever.  When people try to make it too safe, that's when guys get hurt badly.  That isn't what they are doing in TNA (I'm not watching much at all anymore,) but it was misrepresented and treated as if it was fact in the comments I took mild exception to on PTI.  I used to work for Meltzer as well as Wade Keller before I stopped writing to preserve the business and I know their thoughts on the intricacies well.  In large part I agree with most of it, just as an FYI. 
htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By htr10

general rule of thumb: even if you're in the right on a subject, unless it's going to save lives or feed children or something significant like that, it's best for you and everyone else on things like this to just let it go

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#18  Edited By Undeadpool

Wrestling's a weird business, there's really nothing like it anymore. The closest thing I could liken it to would be a travelling circus. So I suppose if we follow that metaphor to its logical conclusion: you wouldn't disrespect a high-wire acrobat by telling them what they do is "fake" just because the outcome of what they do is predetermined and they've got a safety net (most of the time).

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By recroulette

Bart Scott isn't going to be a full time thing, he just did some guest crap.  
 The Raven's dude (can't remember his name) actually won a fucking BOXING fight. 

Also, Kornheiser was being sarcastic with the fake chair comment. 

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By Pinworm45

How do you survive on the internet if comments like that force you to write essay emails that won't be read?

BigLemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BigLemon
@RecSpec said:
" Bart Scott isn't going to be a full time thing, he just did some guest crap.   The Raven's dude (can't remember his name) actually won a fucking BOXING fight. "
are you talking about Ray Lewis? Cuz that dude can scrap. He's hardcore, straight up.
JMartNWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JMartNWA
@RecSpec:  It wasn't a comment about the other NFL players and their stuff... yes that guy has boxed in the past and is doing it again.  This was simply a response to one false statement that I wanted to clarify.  I did not take TK's comment as a joke at all, especially with his thoughts on the business in the past.  If it was, that's fine either way.  It was not a big deal, but I was able to get it fixed with virtually no effort.  I had no idea so many people were going to have such a negative opinion (or any opinion for that matter), but you're all entitled to those thoughts.  My point was made, so I won't continue responding further.  I did want to clarify that I did not think Bart was in the "most" danger, just that it wasn't completely safe.  It is a guest spot, but things can go wrong.  My point was... I don't expect Bart Scott to be hit by a chair, because there's no way to fake it.  Thanks to most of you for the lively discussion... you guys have a good weekend.
htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By htr10

@JMartNWA:
  ah, no one's trying to go out of their way and be a jerk about it.  you just happen to be posting on a forum where the opinions are in general a certain way about pro wrestling.  i'm sure if you were posting on a wrestling fan forum, the response would be much more encouraging and sympathetic.  god bless anyone who works hard to make a living, regardless of whether it's labeled 'fake' or not.
Avatar image for james_ex_machina
James_ex_machina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By James_ex_machina

Just shake it off. Kevin is great on Around The Horn but can be close minded on some topics. So what, aren't we all...